Options

Ohana Fest returns September 27th - 29th 2024

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,322
    Your order with Ohana Fest has been successfully processed.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PhilLeotardoPhilLeotardo Posts: 101
    Hi all! This'll be our first Ohana. How does it work for the headliners? Would they both likely be on the same stage? I'm there for PJ, my wife for Alanis. I've never been, so are there better places to watch from and not get into the thick of the drunken mob? (I assume there's gonna be one, ya?) What time is reasonable to head to the venue during the days? We're going on Saturday and Sunday. Thanks!!!

I haven't really experienced a drunken mob there
    Yeah, no drunken mobs. PJ fans are kinda old now. My daughter went to Ohana ‘21, week one, separately from my wife and I, with the intention of meeting up. She texted the other siblings, saying she couldn’t find us because “they all look like Mom and Dad.” Gray haired emojis in the replies.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,718
    Hi all! This'll be our first Ohana. How does it work for the headliners? Would they both likely be on the same stage? I'm there for PJ, my wife for Alanis. I've never been, so are there better places to watch from and not get into the thick of the drunken mob? (I assume there's gonna be one, ya?) What time is reasonable to head to the venue during the days? We're going on Saturday and Sunday. Thanks!!!
    Alanis will be on the main stage right before Pearl Jam. She will play for an hour most likely. There are two stages, but they are right next to each other, so the acts alternate until the last two acts (the leaders into the headliners). Once the schedule is out it will also say who is performing where and when. This setup makes it easy to move back and forth, kind of camp in-between, walk around, whatever. 

If you can hack it, I'd try to spend as much time inside and listening as possible. You will find some cool acts you didn't know about and it isn't as crowded earlier so you will get a little more freedom to move around and kind of soak it all in.

I haven't really experienced a drunken mob there, but for Pearl Jam people will gather in the front of the main stage earlier than for other acts, so it will fill quickly. There will be plenty that get in as soon as they can so they can get the rail and then camp there all day. By the time the leadins are performing it will be pretty full directly center of the main stage. It still may be the easiest you will ever be able to get close, but if you want to do so I'd do so before Alanis starts. We got pretty close at Encore and did that before Beck played. It will get crowded, though, if that bothers you. If so maybe hang out more to the side or back near the walkway.

There are also bleachers that aren't bad at all. We did that the second night at Encore. Also just chose to do it last year every night. Those will fill too, but it will be slower. Also easier to find your spot if you need to go to the bathroom or something.

It's a simple setup overall and you will be able to figure it out and navigate it pretty quickly. 
    Good advice. And yes, if you want to be fairly close to the main stage, you need to get your spot before the last act at the side stage ends. Since the stages are next to each other and not at opposite ends of the venue, when the last second stage act finishes, all those people mush directly to the left into the group that’s already at the main stage. 

Also, the level of drunkenness seems pretty low. The alcohol level in the expensive beer is equivalent to Coors lite. I’m assuming this is intentional and maybe an agreement with Dana Point. Beer tip: on the beach just outside and south of the venue is a cafe that sells real beer at reasonable prices. 
  • Options

Yeah, no drunken mobs. PJ fans are kinda old now. My daughter went to Ohana ‘21, week one, separately from my wife and I, with the intention of meeting up. She texted the other siblings, saying she couldn’t find us because “they all look like Mom and Dad.” Gray haired emojis in the replies.
    When Grandpa Neil comes on expect a mass exodus of the under 30 crowd. 
  • Options

I felt like the under 30 crowd mixed in with Stevie Nicks fans
  • Options

I could be wrong. I just remember going against a heavy outflow when heading toward the stage before Ed Solo started. 
  • Options

I could be wrong. I just remember going against a heavy outflow when heading toward the stage before Ed Solo started. 
    Oh, you’re not wrong. I was just noting the one time I wasn’t one of the old guys.

Incubus fans left en masse right before an Ed show.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,322
    edited May 3
    weird. my experience is that people show up for the last show of the night at festivals. Last thing to go do. 

But seems americans do festivalthings weird like;

- mailing out the festival wristbands instwad of giving them out on location
    - Not allowing you to leave the area and come back (i mean, thats the main purpose of the festival wristband is it not)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    weird. my experience is that people show up for the last show of the night at festivals. Last thing to go do. 

- Not allowing you to leave the area and come back (i mean, thats the main purpose of the festival wristband is it not)
    I kind of hate the lack of in-and-out privileges, although I haven't minded being there the whole time once we're in. It does make you need to plan when you want to get in, though.

In my experience it has been pretty darn crowded for the headliners, although one of those experiences was Pearl Jam, which people were clearly there for. I did see a review from a 20-something last year who went specifically to see Haim, who was great by the way, and she made a comment about the weird festival atmosphere with old people and families!
  • Options

Silly European. Stuff your förnuftig crap in a sack! We monetize everything that can be monetized to the maximum amount. You think we’re going to just let you wander down the street and buy a $1 soda and a $2 order of freedom fries? Think again! 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,499

I kind of hate the lack of in-and-out privileges, although I haven't minded being there the whole time once we're in. It does make you need to plan when you want to get in, though.

In my experience it has been pretty darn crowded for the headliners, although one of those experiences was Pearl Jam, which people were clearly there for. I did see a review from a 20-something last year who went specifically to see Haim, who was great by the way, and she made a comment about the weird festival atmosphere with old people and families!
    There isn't much to do once inside.. except eat, drink, sit and wait.. once you've seen the art exhibit and listened to a few speakers... it's a very small space
  • Options

There isn't much to do once inside.. except eat, drink, sit and wait.. once you've seen the art exhibit and listened to a few speakers... it's a very small space
    I've enjoyed the music.

The biggest thing about planning when to get in in my mind is things like food (might be better to eat a large late lunch than deal with the lines and stuff), or merch whether being there early enough to get things or how long you want to carry it around or just stamina. 
  • Options

I've enjoyed the music.

The biggest thing about planning when to get in in my mind is things like food (might be better to eat a large late lunch than deal with the lines and stuff), or merch whether being there early enough to get things or how long you want to carry it around or just stamina. 
    I eat at Carlos Restaurant before going in once we get parking...usually gotta get there before 1. Nice patio. And yes the music is the thing of course.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,587

This is not your standard European style festival with 100k people every day, camping, and all of the other things you are used to.
    18-20k people in a state park. At the Beach.
    A much better environment.
  • Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 278

The purpose of the wristband is to make it easier for them to separate your money from your wallet. Most purchases can be made with your wristband. 
  • Options
    csilver22csilver22 Posts: 52
    I spit out my Ovaltine when I read that quote from your daughter!
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 608
     Saw them in my city firs two shows this tour, but new album is awesome and I want to see them again this tour. the setlists have been top notch.
    I went in 2022, and I think they did about 22 songs. Do we think they play a full 25 at both shows this year?
  • Options
    chitty said:
     Saw them in my city firs two shows this tour, but new album is awesome and I want to see them again this tour. the setlists have been top notch.
    I went in 2022, and I think they did about 22 songs. Do we think they play a full 25 at both shows this year?
    No
  • Options
    jstu39jstu39 Posts: 144
    chitty said:
    My guess is they play a few less songs at the festival, closer to a 2 hour setlist. 

Also curious if any of the new songs have a dip in frequency played as the tour continues. I too hope to see several at Ohana. 
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 614
    I’d guess these shows will be in the 2hr range with 20-22 songs. I’m wondering if these shows will have the video screen or not.
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 608
    Thanks this is what I figured, may try go to Seattle show then instead
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    Just booked for Friday and Saturday. Can’t wait. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 781
    edited May 31
    if anyone is looking to dump/sell their tickets, please let me know.

ISO:
    3-Day VIP Ticket(s)
    September 27-29

TIA
    Post edited by LukinAtU on