Options

Top 3 Moments on Dark Matter

2»

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,743
    The line that I think resonates the most with me is from "Got to Give":

"And I can't stand it 'cause it's no way to live/The pain of this every day has got to give."

Really, that whole song is on point lyrically.

One thing that I think elevates this album-- and this is coming from someone who really loves every Pearl Jam album-- is that there are not many awkward or forced lyrics. No Bob Honey references, as an example. The closest thing I can think of on Dark Matter is the superfluous preposition in "I'm needing for the light" in "Wreckage," which is a very minor nit indeed.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,845
    "Oh, I'd open the door, I'd let you in
    I would open it if you came
    But if it's not you knocking
    It's staying closed" - Won't Tell

"Keep knocking the door 'cause I know someone's there
    I wait on the porch hoping someday, I'll be let in." - Setting Sun

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,845
    3. "To you do I still belong?" - Scared of Fear

Beautiful and oh so vulnerable. Now that's wearing his heart on his sleeve!
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,333
    And the part
     Do I have to be scared?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,707
    MikeDigs said:

• Every bridge on the album...
    The bridge in Won’t Tell
    The outro of React/Respond
    The verse/chorus interplay in Upper Hand
    I found that every bridge on the whole album is great.  Like extra care was taken to create masterful bridges, and I wonder, if this concept of strong bridges has a deeper meaning within the concept of the album.  There's a lot of cool things to discover with this album.
    I’ve been thinking this for a few weeks now. Almost every song has a bridge and they are absolutely incredible. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,753
    Won't Tell's bridge outro "Won't tell a soul..." that last note just seems to glide over the guitar part so perfectly.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 477
    edited May 20
    yosi said:
    MikeDigs said:
    The bridge in Won’t Tell
    I found that every bridge on the whole album is great.  Like extra care was taken to create masterful bridges, and I wonder, if this concept of strong bridges has a deeper meaning within the concept of the album.  There's a lot of cool things to discover with this album.
    I’ve been thinking this for a few weeks now. Almost every song has a bridge and they are absolutely incredible. 
    I figured out how the strong bridge concept might relate to the overall album.  If we consider that the album itself is about relationships in general, then having strong connections, or "bridges", is important when trying to maintain relationships.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,938
    MikeDigs said:
    Great thread, and something that I was meaning to touch on if I ever wrote my Dark Matter review.  This album is not just a grouping of songs, but Dark Matter is a collection of moments.  I think this is one reason why this album is hooking so many of us on a deep level.  Even my least favorite songs have some of my favorite moments.  Very cool.  Endless praise for Dark Matter, certified timeless classic.

Some of my highlight moments:
    • The style and tones of the guitars, blew me away from the start.  This is ear candy for guitar lovers.
    • Lyrics and sounds connecting to other Pearl Jam songs in Dark Matter, and also other albums.
    • The "Tremor Christ" riff in "Upper Hand" at 3:05
    • Every time McCready enters the song to solo.  Very stylish.  The "Dark Matter" solo will forever make me grin, "Waiting for Stevie" solo is top tier, but my ultimate favorite moment on the album is when Mike enters "React / Respond" to shred, with those stylish mid-bar ghost type notes at around 2:55 midway thru Ed's "Respoooooooonnnnnd" scream.  FUCKING AMAZING when I first heard that on headphones, on my 04/20 listening session.  A wonderful overall listening experience for me on any album
    • ^ Then shortly after when Mike starts the above shred, at around 3:03 in "React / Respond", that sinister horror movie style laugh.  "HA HA HA HA HA"
    • The palm-muted guitar notes in the pre-chorus to "React / Respond" (as you guess this is my favorite track on the album on first spin
    • In "Running", the badass wailing siren sounding guitar rip at 1:45.  I get so amped at that part :rock_on:
    • During Mike's solo in "Waiting for Stevie", while the guitar solo is epic as is, I find Ed's soaring vocals to be equally as awesome as he sings "You can be loooooooved"
    • The mystical and fun lyrics of "Won't Tell"
    • The opening bass riff to "Something Special", plus the guitar chords.  So 90s and I fucking love it.
    • The outro vocals and lyrics to "Got to Give", and pretty much every moment of this stellar track.  As others noted, top tier track.
    • The opening guitar/percussion combo of "Setting Sun", plus the outro subtle and beautiful guitar strums in combo with Ed's perfect vocals "Let us not fade...", and pretty much every other second of this song.  Top tier Pearl Jam song.
    • The opening atmospheric swell and pool que sound in the album intro to "Scared of Fear", in addition to Stone's awesome riffs in this song
    • The outro to "Upper Hand" ("Carry me... hooooome"), "Running" ("YOU GOT ME RUNNIN, YOU GOT ME RUNNIN"), and pretty much every other song outro
    • Most of the album lyrics
    The bridge in Won’t Tell

I'm sure I still have more to discover.  As you can tell, I really adore this album, and it should be clear to some why Dark Matter has vaulted to within the Top 5 Pearl Jam albums for many of us.  This album is going to age well.

^--- I guess all of the above can be my review.  That works.

Dark Matter - A masterpiece.  An album of discovery.  A timeless classic.  A trillion stars out of a trillion.
    I've spent a lot of time on this forum and this is one of my favorite posts ever.  You clearly spent a lot of time analyzing this album.  I love it as much as you do!!!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 477
    MikeDigs said:
    Great thread, and something that I was meaning to touch on if I ever wrote my Dark Matter review.  This album is not just a grouping of songs, but Dark Matter is a collection of moments.  I think this is one reason why this album is hooking so many of us on a deep level.  Even my least favorite songs have some of my favorite moments.  Very cool.  Endless praise for Dark Matter, certified timeless classic.

Some of my highlight moments:
    • The style and tones of the guitars, blew me away from the start.  This is ear candy for guitar lovers.
    • Lyrics and sounds connecting to other Pearl Jam songs in Dark Matter, and also other albums.
    • The "Tremor Christ" riff in "Upper Hand" at 3:05
    • Every time McCready enters the song to solo.  Very stylish.  The "Dark Matter" solo will forever make me grin, "Waiting for Stevie" solo is top tier, but my ultimate favorite moment on the album is when Mike enters "React / Respond" to shred, with those stylish mid-bar ghost type notes at around 2:55 midway thru Ed's "Respoooooooonnnnnd" scream.  FUCKING AMAZING when I first heard that on headphones, on my 04/20 listening session.  A wonderful overall listening experience for me on any album
    • ^ Then shortly after when Mike starts the above shred, at around 3:03 in "React / Respond", that sinister horror movie style laugh.  "HA HA HA HA HA"
    • The palm-muted guitar notes in the pre-chorus to "React / Respond" (as you guess this is my favorite track on the album on first spin
    • In "Running", the badass wailing siren sounding guitar rip at 1:45.  I get so amped at that part :rock_on:
    • During Mike's solo in "Waiting for Stevie", while the guitar solo is epic as is, I find Ed's soaring vocals to be equally as awesome as he sings "You can be loooooooved"
    • The mystical and fun lyrics of "Won't Tell"
    • The opening bass riff to "Something Special", plus the guitar chords.  So 90s and I fucking love it.
    • The outro vocals and lyrics to "Got to Give", and pretty much every moment of this stellar track.  As others noted, top tier track.
    • The opening guitar/percussion combo of "Setting Sun", plus the outro subtle and beautiful guitar strums in combo with Ed's perfect vocals "Let us not fade...", and pretty much every other second of this song.  Top tier Pearl Jam song.
    • The opening atmospheric swell and pool que sound in the album intro to "Scared of Fear", in addition to Stone's awesome riffs in this song
    • The outro to "Upper Hand" ("Carry me... hooooome"), "Running" ("YOU GOT ME RUNNIN, YOU GOT ME RUNNIN"), and pretty much every other song outro
    • Most of the album lyrics
    The bridge in Won’t Tell

I'm sure I still have more to discover.  As you can tell, I really adore this album, and it should be clear to some why Dark Matter has vaulted to within the Top 5 Pearl Jam albums for many of us.  This album is going to age well.

^--- I guess all of the above can be my review.  That works.

Dark Matter - A masterpiece.  An album of discovery.  A timeless classic.  A trillion stars out of a trillion.
    I've spent a lot of time on this forum and this is one of my favorite posts ever.  You clearly spent a lot of time analyzing this album.  I love it as much as you do!!!
    Thank you @SVRDhand13!  I have had this album on repeat since it was released, and it draws me in more with each listen.  This doesn't just rank high for Pearl Jam albums, but this ranks high amongst any album I've ever listened to by any band.  Only few albums have ever drew me in as much as this one, and so sharing my thoughts and analysis was fun and easy.  It is very clear to me that the band put a lot of care and love in to crafting this album, and I sense that many of us fans are feeling the love as well.  These songs sound amazing live!!
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 914
    edited May 25
    When wreckage kicks in and starts sounding like corduroy you remember why you love this band. When you hear upper hand and feel like you’re transported back to your fondest memories of hearing the band’s best songs flr the first time you remember why you’ve spent so much money and energy on the band, its fans, and livd shows.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,743
    I love the moment when "Running" kicks back in after the bridge, especially live.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,717
    PJNB said:
    Good choices and I would add

Upper Hand 

Oh I apologize, so sorry bout the timing

Both of those verses that have that in it actually are fantastic. 

This is mine for sure. I absolutely LOVE it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,362
    MikeDigs said: