Options

Top 3 Moments on Dark Matter

southpsouthp Posts: 278
Dark Matter has several of those classic PJ moments.  Those lines that give you chills every time.  Most of the staples in the catalog have that "arms raised in a V" moment. My personal all-time favourite is from Corduroy "Everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed".  So I'm curious what are everyone's top moments on Dark Matter?  Here are the stand outs for me:

1) Setting Sun "If you could see what I see now, you’d find a way to stay somehow"

2) Scared of Fear "
Hear the voices calling, oh again they’re calling, all around my head, Have I lost my friend?"

3) Waiting for Stevie "
Swallowed up by the sound cutting holes in the clouds, finds herself in the song, hears her own voice rising"

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,390
    Water will find its wayyyyy
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,005
    edited May 14
    Good choices and I would add

Upper Hand 

Oh I apologize, so sorry bout the timing

Both of those verses that have that in it actually are fantastic. 

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 701
    edited May 14
    Agree, especially No2

More subtle but 'am I the only one hanging on'
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    There had to be one on Wreckage!  It's an instant classic for me.  To be honest for me, it's not about a single moment rather than just the entire outro.  On any given day I'm walking around all day long, at work, around the house and no one has any idea that I'm just  "combing through the wreckage" over and over in my head. :)
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,701
    The end of 'got to give'  starting at "getting to the point where I can't breathe" to the end of the song might be the highlight of the album in relation to what I think the op is asking. Might be my favorite song too. I can't believe it's only been played once so far. I thought it stood out as a track that could become a live staple for the remainder of the band's career.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,265
    Lifted said:
    The end of 'got to give'  starting at "getting to the point where I can't breathe" to the end of the song might be the highlight of the album in relation to what I think the op is asking. Might be my favorite song too. I can't believe it's only been played once so far. I thought it stood out as a track that could become a live staple for the remainder of the band's career.
    That was my thought on first listen, surprised it isn't more well liked.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,007
    Lifted said:
    This is mine too
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 614
    southp said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    There had to be one on Wreckage!  It's an instant classic for me.  To be honest for me, it's not about a single moment rather than just the entire outro.  On any given day I'm walking around all day long, at work, around the house and no one has any idea that I'm just  "combing through the wreckage" over and over in my head. :)
    Yep, lotta good moments in the song and outro is great. I’m partial to the “If you’re feeling the leaving / I can’t make you stay” line.
  • Options
    The bridge in Won’t Tell
    The outro of React/Respond
    The verse/chorus interplay in Upper Hand

looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,907
    Lifted said:
    Thank you for typing this because I was too lazy. This is it for me too!!!
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,743
    Lifted said:
    Also a major highlight for me. "Got to Give" and "Won't Tell," along with "Wreckage," might be two of my three favorites from the album, and they've been played OTOTO thus far. I'm just glad I was able to see them.

Ed did a head-fake last night when he introduced "Running" by saying it came to Jeff in a dream.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    You guys are making me want to give Got to Give more attention.  It's getting overlooked because I'm usually excited to get to Setting Sun.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 670
    “Help to carry me hoooooommme”
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 669
    CROJAM95 said:
    This ^ and
    The mistakes we all make
    And perfectly repeat
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,707
    CROJAM95 said:
    The low harmony on this is incredible. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,541
    "Am I the only one hanging on?"

"That we are better together, you and me, Can take on anyone, anyone, if you can see"

"Is this what we've become? Oh, one last setting sun
    I'll give, but I can't give up, I'll live, not long enough
    To stop these voices calling, stop the voices calling
    All around my head, as if you never left"

But the grand prize is those opening chords of Waiting for Stevie.

Or the Drumming on Dark Matter.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,835
    Chains are made by DNA refusing, refusing to release.

I no longer give a fuck who is wrong and who is right.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 503
    scared of fear: "we used to laugh, we used to sing we used to dance, we used to believe"

first time pj lyrics have given me chills and made me tear up since probably 1994. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    The entire goddamn record. Not a single wasted note/lyric. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Lifted said:
    If I had a nickel for each time I screamed along to the "that we are better" bit while driving a little too fast in my car, well, I'd have enough money to pay off the inevitable speeding ticket. 
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,938
    As she smiled and played a minor chord
    In a key I never heard before
    One song and it was done
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,566
    You guys are making me realize how terrible I am at internalizing and digesting lyrics.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Gibson said:
    You guys are making me realize how terrible I am at internalizing and digesting lyrics.
    😂😂😂 I’m glad I’m not the onyl
    one. 
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,877
    edited May 15
    Be mighty....be humble....be mighty humble

You answered my prayers...now from kness I can't get up. 
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:
    Be mighty....be humble....be mighty humble
    Wish we got whatever this was in full. Man…. Remember bsides? I do. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,313
    Every song has a strong lyric/verse. Ed's best overall work in decades. There's always a few on each album, but nothing this consistent for a long time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    tbergs said:
    Every song has a strong lyric/verse. Ed's best overall work in decades. There's always a few on each album, but nothing this consistent for a long time.
    I was just going to say something similar. This album is chock full of lyrics/verses that just hits your soul at its core in my opinion. It's almost impossible to limit it to three highlights there are so many, but if I had to pick mine would be: 

1. Got to Give - "We can, we can believe that we are better. Together, you and me, yeah. Can take on anyone, anyone...if you can SEE" 

2. Won't Tell - "For in my dream you told me to let the longing go. Oh and the promise I still hold...won't tell a soul"

3. Setting Sun - "Had dreams to you I would belong. Had the dream you would stay with me 'til kingdom come. Turns out forever has come and gone. Am I the only one hanging on?"
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 477
    edited May 16
    Great thread, and something that I was meaning to touch on if I ever wrote my Dark Matter review.  This album is not just a grouping of songs, but Dark Matter is a collection of moments.  I think this is one reason why this album is hooking so many of us on a deep level.  Even my least favorite songs have some of my favorite moments.  Very cool.  Endless praise for Dark Matter, certified timeless classic.

Some of my highlight moments:
    • The style and tones of the guitars, blew me away from the start.  This is ear candy for guitar lovers.
    • Lyrics and sounds connecting to other Pearl Jam songs in Dark Matter, and also other albums.
    • The "Tremor Christ" riff in "Upper Hand" at 3:05
    • Every time McCready enters the song to solo.  Very stylish.  The "Dark Matter" solo will forever make me grin, "Waiting for Stevie" solo is top tier, but my ultimate favorite moment on the album is when Mike enters "React / Respond" to shred, with those stylish mid-bar ghost type notes at around 2:55 midway thru Ed's "Respoooooooonnnnnd" scream.  FUCKING AMAZING when I first heard that on headphones, on my 04/20 listening session.  A wonderful overall listening experience for me on any album
    • ^ Then shortly after when Mike starts the above shred, at around 3:03 in "React / Respond", that sinister horror movie style laugh.  "HA HA HA HA HA"
    • The palm-muted guitar notes in the pre-chorus to "React / Respond" (as you guess this is my favorite track on the album on first spin
    • In "Running", the badass wailing siren sounding guitar rip at 1:45.  I get so amped at that part :rock_on:
    • During Mike's solo in "Waiting for Stevie", while the guitar solo is epic as is, I find Ed's soaring vocals to be equally as awesome as he sings "You can be loooooooved"
    • The mystical and fun lyrics of "Won't Tell"
    • The opening bass riff to "Something Special", plus the guitar chords.  So 90s and I fucking love it.
    • The outro vocals and lyrics to "Got to Give", and pretty much every moment of this stellar track.  As others noted, top tier track.
    • The opening guitar/percussion combo of "Setting Sun", plus the outro subtle and beautiful guitar strums in combo with Ed's perfect vocals "Let us not fade...", and pretty much every other second of this song.  Top tier Pearl Jam song.
    • The opening atmospheric swell and pool que sound in the album intro to "Scared of Fear", in addition to Stone's awesome riffs in this song
    • The outro to "Upper Hand" ("Carry me... hooooome"), "Running" ("YOU GOT ME RUNNIN, YOU GOT ME RUNNIN"), and pretty much every other song outro
    • Most of the album lyrics
    • Every bridge on the album...
    The bridge in Won’t Tell
    The outro of React/Respond
    The verse/chorus interplay in Upper Hand
    I found that every bridge on the whole album is great.  Like extra care was taken to create masterful bridges, and I wonder, if this concept of strong bridges has a deeper meaning within the concept of the album.  There's a lot of cool things to discover with this album.

I'm sure I still have more to discover.  As you can tell, I really adore this album, and it should be clear to some why Dark Matter has vaulted to within the Top 5 Pearl Jam albums for many of us.  This album is going to age well.

^--- I guess all of the above can be my review.  That works.

Dark Matter - A masterpiece.  An album of discovery.  A timeless classic.  A trillion stars out of a trillion.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    SB117186SB117186 Posts: 346
    As she smiled and played a minor chord
    In a key I never heard before
    One song and it was done
    This!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,845
    What? No love for the tunnel sewage flushing bit? 

Great thread! Its hard to pick just three. Likely words from "Setting Sun" and "Won't Tell". There's some of Mike's guitar sounds sliding screeches I love, too. I like the way the guitar just busts straight into song in "Won't Tell". Must be quite a secret.