Options

Have you ever thrown a beer in a Cop's face...and lived to tell the story??

Hard2IMAGINE2007VICHard2IMAGINE2007VIC Posts: 638
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
So today, July 4th is my 29th birthday and I thought I would share my NYC Pearl Jam adventure before I head out to catch some fireworks.

So my plane from Phoenix landed in La Guardia around 7pm, so I decided I wanted to pick up a unlimited Metro card and figure out how all the locals travel NYC. I took the M60 bus across the Triborough Bridge into Harlem. Then jumped on the green line subway to Grand Central Station which was close to the Big Apple Hostel where I was going to stay for my first night in NYC before moving to the Hotel Penn for my last 2 night in NYC. I dropped my bags at the hostel and headed out to walk Times Square and check out the streets of New York. I headed back to my hostel about 1am and when I returned I met 2 Russian students who I was sharing the room with who also had just landed from Moscow. They strolled into our room each holding a 12 pack of Bud Light cans. They did not speak English and were pounding the beers fast and speaking in Russian to each other. They offered me a beer a few times, but initially I passed. Funny thing was the more they drank the better they spoke English. Then Anton, tells me in his broken English "Don't be a little bitch...now drink!" At that point I had to indulge. So 5 beers later it is about 2:30am and we finished all the beer so we walked to a store a bought 2 more 6 packs of the Coors Light Tall cans. We were sitting in the back patio of the hostel teaching each other bad words in Russian and English when the dude at the front desk said he needed to clean the patio and asked us to go out to the front porch on 45th Ave to finish our beer and smoke. I thought nothing of it and we relocated to the front porch of the hostel. We continued out curse word lessons when I got a tap on my shoulder and I hear "What the fuck do you think you are doing?" I turned around to see it was 4 NYC Cops in full uniform. I nearly shat myself. Here is what followed:
Cops: "What the fuck do you think you are doing?"
Me: "The guy at the front desk told us to come out here to finish our beers."
Cop: "So if he told to you climb to the top of the fucking Empire State building and jump would you do that too?"
Me: "Well, of course not."
Cop: "Where are you from?"
Me: "Arizona"
Cop: "Can you drink on the streets in Arizona?"
Me: "No officer"
Cop: "Well what makes you think you can come to the great state of New York and drink on my fucking streets?(In his level 10 I have been possessed by Satan voice)
Me: "Uh...Uh...Uh (Squeezing my check together so I don't shit myself because I think I am about to go to jail) I don't know officer I realize I made a mistake...(Then the unthinkable happens.....The full Tall can that I have in my hand as this officer is grilling me slips out of my hand and falls to the ground...upon impact the beer shoots straight up like a volcanic eruption all over all 4 of the cops!!! The one who is grilling me in my face gets the worst of it and flips his fucking lid as the beer drips from his shiny silver badge!!!
Cop: "You stupid mother fucker! I am going to fuck your ass up! (He throws his police hat to the ground and starts to reach at his belt. I thought I was going to get tased or something. He grabs the collar of my shirt tightly and said "Give me your fucking ID you stupid mother fucker!"
Me: "Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god please don't hurt me. I did not mean for that to happen" I handed him my ID.
Cop: "Shut your fucking mouth! How long have you been in New York Anthony?
Me: "About 6 hours sir"
Cop: "When do you plan on leaving?"
Me: "Thursday morning"
Cop: "You have 20 hours to get your stupid ass out of the city of New York, do you understand me?"
Me: "Yes Sir!" (While thinking in the back of my head that there is no way I can miss two nights at MSG! I complied in hopes that I was not going to be taken to jail.
Cop: "Do you know what assault is?"
Me: "Yes Sir"
Cop: "You are lucky that we aren't taking you to jail! (He throws my ID at my chest and the 4 NYC officers walked away towards Times Square.

After the incident was over, the Russian guy says "You don't get beat up by the cops here in America? Which is apparently the norm where they are from in Russia. I could not believe that that happened to me considering that I rarely drink at all and I have never had any run in with a cop before. Thankfully the 2 PJ shows at MSG where amongst the best that I have seen in the 30+ shows I have attended. Big thanks to the 10Club for hooking me up with tickets in Section 74 Row C for both nights. It was something special to sit next to Jill and Olivia Vedder both night and witness the interaction between Ed and his daughter as she rocks out hard to the PJ Jams and sings along doing baby head banging in her pink headphones. At a few points I was getting pretty wild during the shows and little Olivia was staring at me like I was crazy. Once I stopped dancing and noticed her she stared to imitate me and that was the start of our dance off at MSG 2! After all was said and done I think she won the dance off since that little girl that some crazy energy for a 4 year old. Just like her Daddy! Well I will stop this wild story and head off to see the Arizona sky get lit up with some fireworks. Cheers to all who take the time to read this crazy story of mine!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Holy shit!

poor thing! Glad u got to go to the msg shows without any complications :D
  • Options
    benbomb3benbomb3 Posts: 71
    That is a pretty crazy story, and sounds like a great two nights at MSG. I like that they told you you had 20 hrs to leave the city like they were going to keep tabs on you or something.
  • Options
    fuckin assholes
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    That story is soooo made up. Know how I can tell?

Nobody from Europe would ever drink Bud Light.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    wow, i'm so confused about why the cops acted that way. that's terrible
  • Options
    toronado10toronado10 Posts: 239
    wonder why jill and olivia don't just hang out backstage.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    coming from a lifetime native NYer, this is far from " thrown a beer into a cops face " .

alltho entertaining, your thread/stories title is a little misleading . :rolleyes:

Oh and as soon as you left the 4 cops eyeshot,..- no doubt the other 3 cops gave that 4tth guy hell !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    toronado10 wrote:
    wonder why jill and olivia don't just hang out backstage.
    wouldn't you rather watch the show?

just like parents watching their kids' soccer games and recitals, it's their family and they want to see :)
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    wow, i'm so confused about why the cops acted that way. that's terrible

The way things are, don't you think they showed restraint? They could have totally arrested that guy. Think of what was going on in Mansfield and Hartford - pepper spray, tickets taken away....these guys didn't do much except yell at the guy. Dude you are lucky!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    Years and years ago, I was in Columbus, Ohio celebrating an OSU victory over hated Michigan. Basically, a drunkfest in the streets (this was before the Buckeyes started doing it every year). Anyway, I threw an empty beer can into the air, it hit a cop, he locked his eyes on me, I took off, he ran me down and next thing you know, I'm being charged with "Felonious Assault on a Police Officer." For an empty fucking can!!!!! It turned into disorderly contact, but WTF?, I was almost a Felon!!! :eek:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    imalive wrote:
    Years and years ago, I was in Columbus, Ohio celebrating an OSU victory over hated Michigan. Basically, a drunkfest in the streets (this was before the Buckeyes started doing it every year). Anyway, I threw an empty beer can into the air, it hit a cop, he locked his eyes on me, I took off, he ran me down and next thing you know, I'm being charged with "Felonious Assault on a Police Officer." For an empty fucking can!!!!! It turned into disorderly contact, but WTF?, I was almost a Felon!!! :eek:

shouldnt have ran away and showed guilt.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    Good story. as a lifelong NYer I can tell you one thing. NYPD talks tough because its their job, but at the end of the day they are good people and take care of you if they know you are harmless. I have had only good experiences with the NYPD from them allowing for me taking generous liberties on a wild New Years eve when they went absolutely out of their way to make sure I stayed safe to simple things such as tailgating out a friends trunk right outside of MSG on the Street before PJ in 03 LOL. The cop was so flabergasted like: "did you really think this was allowed???? Theres like 300 bars here in a 3 block radius... please jut clean this up and go to a bar, you seem like nice people and I dont want to get you in trouble just for being stupid."

Good times...
  • Options
    corduroy85corduroy85 Posts: 139

After the incident was over, the Russian guy says "You don't get beat up by the cops here in America? Which is apparently the norm where they are from in Russia.

Believe you me, it's not that common in Russia. I mean there some fucked up assholes in police here but still doesn't happen every day.
    Don't go messing with machoes!
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    WMA!

He won the lotteryyyyyyyy when he was booooorn...took his mothers white breast to his tooooooooongue!

Do no wrong...so clean cut...dirty's his hands it comes right oooooff.

Police Maaaaaaaaaaaaan! Police Maaaaaaaaaan!

Great story man!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    I guess I should have not have said thrown in his face since I did not do it intentionally and by no means was I trying to brag about mistake. I totally agree that calling me a mother fucker 20 times was showing restraint considering I am very grateful I did not end up in jail since I doused 4 cops in one shot.

LOL by no means is this story and I swear the Russians walking in with Bud Light and I know nothing about Russian police and was only repeating what was told to me by the Russian guy I was hanging with.

After seeing how much beer sprayed, if the roles were reversed I might have thrown my ass in jail. If I could apologize today I would since I know they work hard and being doused in beer is the last thing they deserve after protecting the people and tourist of NYC.

Big Shout out to Officer Percy of the NYCPD....thanks for not kicking my ass and arresting me! Good times in the NYC 2008!
  • Options
    kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    I would have got their badge #'s and reported them to their Captain for conduct unbecoming an officer, and had them charged with assault for grabbing me. If that is how much they swore, that is WAY too much, and is totally unprofessional. I would have had them begging for their jobs. Sometimes it's convenient to be a Federal Officer. :)
  • Options
    Pretty shitty that a cop showing restraint is harassing people, calling them vulgar and explicit names, physically assaulting them, and threatening them with jail time if they don't leave the city.

1,2,3,4...what the fuck is this world....
  • Options
    stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    kitfoo wrote:
    I would have got their badge #'s and reported them to their Captain for conduct unbecoming an officer, and had them charged with assault for grabbing me. If that is how much they swore, that is WAY too much, and is totally unprofessional. I would have had them begging for their jobs. Sometimes it's convenient to be a Federal Officer. :)
    oh please. spare me. you try walking the beat in manhattan basically wearing a uniformed target 24/7 and try to handle that better! I know i'd be wound tight and if i got doused in beer id hope id handle it as gracefully under those circumstances.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,453
    stranger34 wrote:
    oh please. spare me. you try walking the beat in manhattan basically wearing a uniformed target 24/7 and try to handle that better! I know i'd be wound tight and if i got doused in beer id hope id handle it as gracefully under those circumstances.

Exactly... and for a ridiculously low amount of money too. NYC cops are some of the worst paid cops in the country. Did you see any any of those cops working around MSG or in Penn Station? That wasn't their lunch bags strapped to their legs... those were gas masks. People in my office complain if the AC is up too high and these guys have to go to work everyday with a gas mask strapped to their bodies.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    stranger34 wrote:
    Good story. as a lifelong NYer I can tell you one thing. NYPD talks tough because its their job, but at the end of the day they are good people and take care of you if they know you are harmless. I have had only good experiences with the NYPD from them allowing for me taking generous liberties on a wild New Years eve when they went absolutely out of their way to make sure I stayed safe to simple things such as tailgating out a friends trunk right outside of MSG on the Street before PJ in 03 LOL. The cop was so flabergasted like: "did you really think this was allowed???? Theres like 300 bars here in a 3 block radius... please jut clean this up and go to a bar, you seem like nice people and I dont want to get you in trouble just for being stupid."

Good times...

You were TAILGATING on the street right outside of MSG? That is so funny - just can't imagine! Thanks for totally cracking me up this morning!

I should add I've had nothing but positive experiences with NYPD during my trips there (granted I don't drink, but still).
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    I was in Camden in 1999 at a Phish concert (LONG story) and while in the parking lot, I saw the Cops there beat the fuck out of a guy who was running from his "busted" nitrous tank...Literally, within 40 seconds of the initial 2 Cops catching this guy, there was a paddywagon and 8-12 Cops beating this fucking hippie senseless in front of a parking lot full of fucked up hippies, and myself. Instictively, I joined into a barage of "beer/food/misc. tossing" in which I flung about 4 of somebody elses Yuengling bottles at the fuckers...Crazy shit...
  • Options
    jimbeejimbee Posts: 81
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    coming from a lifetime native NYer, this is far from " thrown a beer into a cops face " .

word...apparently neither have you...
    * Friends don't let friends use MP3 *
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I guess I should have not have said thrown in his face since I did not do it intentionally and by no means was I trying to brag about mistake. I totally agree that calling me a mother fucker 20 times was showing restraint considering I am very grateful I did not end up in jail since I doused 4 cops in one shot.

LOL by no means is this story and I swear the Russians walking in with Bud Light and I know nothing about Russian police and was only repeating what was told to me by the Russian guy I was hanging with.

After seeing how much beer sprayed, if the roles were reversed I might have thrown my ass in jail. If I could apologize today I would since I know they work hard and being doused in beer is the last thing they deserve after protecting the people and tourist of NYC.

Big Shout out to Officer Percy of the NYCPD....thanks for not kicking my ass and arresting me! Good times in the NYC 2008!

Maybe if they acted more civilized and explained to you that booze was not allowed here or asked you to take it inside, you wouldn't have dropped your beer and sprayed them, so fault lies with them, why don't they go catch real criminals and leave harmless people alone. Sounds like a bunch of cluster fuck cops who think they are god, don't apologize unless you brought this on yourself purposely.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    So today, July 4th is my 29th birthday and I thought I would share my NYC Pearl Jam adventure before I head out to catch some fireworks.

So my plane from Phoenix landed in La Guardia around 7pm, so I decided I wanted to pick up a unlimited Metro card and figure out how all the locals travel NYC. I took the M60 bus across the Triborough Bridge into Harlem. Then jumped on the green line subway to Grand Central Station which was close to the Big Apple Hostel where I was going to stay for my first night in NYC before moving to the Hotel Penn for my last 2 night in NYC. I dropped my bags at the hostel and headed out to walk Times Square and check out the streets of New York. I headed back to my hostel about 1am and when I returned I met 2 Russian students who I was sharing the room with who also had just landed from Moscow. They strolled into our room each holding a 12 pack of Bud Light cans. They did not speak English and were pounding the beers fast and speaking in Russian to each other. They offered me a beer a few times, but initially I passed. Funny thing was the more they drank the better they spoke English. Then Anton, tells me in his broken English "Don't be a little bitch...now drink!" At that point I had to indulge. So 5 beers later it is about 2:30am and we finished all the beer so we walked to a store a bought 2 more 6 packs of the Coors Light Tall cans. We were sitting in the back patio of the hostel teaching each other bad words in Russian and English when the dude at the front desk said he needed to clean the patio and asked us to go out to the front porch on 45th Ave to finish our beer and smoke. I thought nothing of it and we relocated to the front porch of the hostel. We continued out curse word lessons when I got a tap on my shoulder and I hear "What the fuck do you think you are doing?" I turned around to see it was 4 NYC Cops in full uniform. I nearly shat myself. Here is what followed:
    Cops: "What the fuck do you think you are doing?"
    Me: "The guy at the front desk told us to come out here to finish our beers."
    Cop: "So if he told to you climb to the top of the fucking Empire State building and jump would you do that too?"
    Me: "Well, of course not."
    Cop: "Where are you from?"
    Me: "Arizona"
    Cop: "Can you drink on the streets in Arizona?"
    Me: "No officer"
    Cop: "Well what makes you think you can come to the great state of New York and drink on my fucking streets?(In his level 10 I have been possessed by Satan voice)
    Me: "Uh...Uh...Uh (Squeezing my check together so I don't shit myself because I think I am about to go to jail) I don't know officer I realize I made a mistake...(Then the unthinkable happens.....The full Tall can that I have in my hand as this officer is grilling me slips out of my hand and falls to the ground...upon impact the beer shoots straight up like a volcanic eruption all over all 4 of the cops!!! The one who is grilling me in my face gets the worst of it and flips his fucking lid as the beer drips from his shiny silver badge!!!
    Cop: "You stupid mother fucker! I am going to fuck your ass up! (He throws his police hat to the ground and starts to reach at his belt. I thought I was going to get tased or something. He grabs the collar of my shirt tightly and said "Give me your fucking ID you stupid mother fucker!"
    Me: "Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god please don't hurt me. I did not mean for that to happen" I handed him my ID.
    Cop: "Shut your fucking mouth! How long have you been in New York Anthony?
    Me: "About 6 hours sir"
    Cop: "When do you plan on leaving?"
    Me: "Thursday morning"
    Cop: "You have 20 hours to get your stupid ass out of the city of New York, do you understand me?"
    Me: "Yes Sir!" (While thinking in the back of my head that there is no way I can miss two nights at MSG! I complied in hopes that I was not going to be taken to jail.
    Cop: "Do you know what assault is?"
    Me: "Yes Sir"
    Cop: "You are lucky that we aren't taking you to jail! (He throws my ID at my chest and the 4 NYC officers walked away towards Times Square.

After the incident was over, the Russian guy says "You don't get beat up by the cops here in America? Which is apparently the norm where they are from in Russia. I could not believe that that happened to me considering that I rarely drink at all and I have never had any run in with a cop before. Thankfully the 2 PJ shows at MSG where amongst the best that I have seen in the 30+ shows I have attended. Big thanks to the 10Club for hooking me up with tickets in Section 74 Row C for both nights. It was something special to sit next to Jill and Olivia Vedder both night and witness the interaction between Ed and his daughter as she rocks out hard to the PJ Jams and sings along doing baby head banging in her pink headphones. At a few points I was getting pretty wild during the shows and little Olivia was staring at me like I was crazy. Once I stopped dancing and noticed her she stared to imitate me and that was the start of our dance off at MSG 2! After all was said and done I think she won the dance off since that little girl that some crazy energy for a 4 year old. Just like her Daddy! Well I will stop this wild story and head off to see the Arizona sky get lit up with some fireworks. Cheers to all who take the time to read this crazy story of mine!

Was this porch on the hostels property? You mean you can't drink beer on the porch because its in front of the building. How fucked up are america's laws.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    fuck the police!!

like you're supposed to be thankful for them not beating your ass over some bullshit? fuck that! fucking punk ass Gestapo!

Fuck that shit, cuz I ain't tha one
    For a punk muthafucka with a badge and a gun
    To be beatin on, and throwin in jail
    We could go toe to toe in the middle of a cell
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    I smell BULLSHIT! Are you g.bush? He lies also, and believes them!!!!
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    jimbeejimbee Posts: 81
    fuck the police!!

like you're supposed to be thankful for them not beating your ass over some bullshit? fuck that! fucking punk ass Gestapo!

wow..you may want to rethink that attitude..the day may come when you actually may need their assistance and thank the good lord they were there for you..... hate to ask your opinion on our troops....
    * Friends don't let friends use MP3 *
  • Options
    jimbee wrote:

wow..you may want to rethink that attitude..the day may come when you actually may need their assistance and thank the good lord they were there for you..... hate to ask your opinion on our troops....

i'm not saying there are no good cops but they seem to be few and far between.

i support the troops COMING HOME,NOT committing genocide in Iraq.they are NOT fighting for freedom or democracy! if you believe that shit then i have a bridge i want to sell you.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    The way things are, don't you think they showed restraint? They could have totally arrested that guy. Think of what was going on in Mansfield and Hartford - pepper spray, tickets taken away....these guys didn't do much except yell at the guy. Dude you are lucky!

Good point. You are lucky. That cop just didn't want top bother arresting you. Would he rather be knee deep in a pile of paperwork for the next 6 hours, or just curse you out and make you feel like an asshole? I'd rather take the latter and be on my way too!
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    jimbee wrote:
    fuck the police!!

Some of my best friends are cops. You wouldn't believe the stories they tell me about the stuff they get away with.

Don't make people out to be saints just because they wear a uniform. Being a cop is no different than any other occupation, there are some good and some bad. I am sure the percentages are about the same...