Options

No More

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Regardless of the political message, it is just a plain crappy song. Ed would help his message if he went back to the drawing board and wrote another political song that didn't make our ears cringe.

But since 99% of what he writes is awesome, I'm giving him a mulligan.
  • Options
    cropdustercropduster Posts: 52
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    I'm sorry, everyone has a right to their own politics and their own opinions. But you don't get to criticize a veteran who gave his body and probably his life to the war you so stubbornly support. People like Tomas Young and Pat Tillman joined the military to destroy Al Qaeda, and that mission had absolutely nothing to do with Iraq. I'm sure you're all about "supporting the troops", just not the ones with the balls to speak out against the war they returned from.

You're right that this isn't Vietnam, and I'm proud of the fact that Iraq veterans haven't been subjected to the demonization that returning Vietnam vets faced from anti-war activists at the time. It sounds like you would agree that Vietnam was a mistake. In 2004 another hero who spoke out against that war, John Kerry, had his service record attacked and belittled by a President who never saw combat in his life.

I didn't think people could stoop any lower than that, but apparently I was wrong. Tomas Young can say whatever the fuck he wants about this war for however long he has left to say it. And people like you are the ones who most need to hear it.

So when Ed sits down with his acoustic guitar for an encore, I might rather hear Hide Your Love Away, Picture in a Frame or something from ITW. But as long as people like you refuse to acknowledge the truth, as long as you cling to Bush and McCain's pathetic promises of "victory" in Iraq, and until we have a president who will support the troops by bringing them home from this disaster, I hope Ed sings No More at every Pearl Jam show.

If you don't like it, go home. Or just don't sing along, or don't buy those boots. You can even criticize Ed for his rants, if you need to. But don't ever disrepect Tomas Young's service to this country or his right to speak his mind.

The fact that folks like you still do not understand why it was critical to conduct regime change in Iraq tells me that you're not truly educating yourselves on matters of counter-terrorism, instruments of national power, and counter-insurgency. I can tell you, as somebody with a master's degree in Counter-terrorism, that going into Iraq was one of the most strategically brilliant moves that Bush could have made. Do you realize how much of a terrorist magnet Iraq became in 2003-2006?? Instead of using their resources to plan attacks in America and Europe, AQI and affiliated groups spent them blwoing up all of Iraq, and in turn, alienating themselves from the very mass base (muslims) they claim to represent. Now you have Sunnis ans Shia working together to form paramilitary and militia groups to root out AQI and their conspirators. Meanwhile, how many terrorsit attacks have there been in the US?

The problem is, no matter how much this concept is explained to somebody like yourself, you will not be able to see through your hate for bush and his administration....hence you have already made up your mind. Nobody is pro war ok? If you actually believe that this admin LIKES war, you are simply delusional. Please educate yourself and read up on the national strategy for combatting terrorism, the national security strategy, and the national military strategy...........all signed off by a democratic congress in 2006.

Thanks.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    smithnic wrote:
    I cannot believe the stupidity of people who are still rallying behind a bunch of lies and thinking that we're in Iraq because of terrorists. That is so awesome. It's like when Cartman says that he's so impressed with Rob Reiner how he just pushes people around and makes them do what he says. I'm beyond mad at this point, I'm just impressed.

I'm not quite as good-natured as you, but sometimes I do have to shake my head and laugh to keep myself from going insane.

Even the most rancid Kool-Aid will find someone to drink it...3 out of 10 someones still, apparently...
  • Options
    It's a good song. I've only heard it twice so I'm not sick of it yet. But the fact that it's a about a soldier who was critically wounded in Iraq and has all sorts of issues to deal with makes it a little more real. And giving up four minutes of a concert is a small sacrifice to make compared to the sacrifice's he's made. Having been in the first Gulf War there is a certain power to that song. Basically War sucks especially if it was unescesary.
    Hail Hail The Lucky Ones!!!

Saratoga 92, Hartford 96, Hartford 98, Jones Beach 3 00, Mansfield 1 03, Mansfield 2 03, Camden 1 03, MSG 1 03, MSG 2 03, Mansfield 3 03, Holmdel 03, Boston 1 04, Albany 06, Hartford 06, East Rutherford 1 06, Camden 2 08, MSG 1 08, MSG 2 08, Hartford 08, Mansfield 1 08, Mansfield 2 08, Spectrum 4 09, Hartford 10, MSG 1 10, MSG 2 10, EV Hartford 11, Philly 12, Brooklyn 1 13, Brooklyn 2 13, Hartford 13, MSG 1 16, MSG 2 16, Fenway 1 16, Temple Of The Dog MSG 16
  • Options
    cropduster wrote:
    I can tell you, as somebody with a master's degree in Counter-terrorism, that going into Iraq was one of the most strategically brilliant moves that Bush could have made.

And I can tell you, as a former US Army Captain, and as someone who studied tactics, strategy, and military history routinely during a five-year active duty career in the 2nd and 3rd Infantry Divisions (not to mention the four years spent preparing for it), that "strategically brilliant" is quite possibly the very last phrase I would ever chose to describe the Iraq War. Do I still need to educate myself?

Not surprisingly, the viewpoint you espouse is I'm sure ingrained in the curriculum of this master's degree you tout.
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    I happen to like the song, and I actually find it quite catchy. I guess if you disagree with the message, I can see why you would not like the song. But then part of me wonders if you disagree with that message, why do you follow a band that is clearly very liberal, anti-war, environmentally conscious, pro-choice, etc.? Just because they play long shows? Or loud or something? I have never been able to understand why you would follow a band and then not want them to speak between songs and not want them to sing some of their songs because they are too political or whatever. They are a political band. Deal with it or don't listen.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Where do you get a degree in counter-terrorism? Obviously somewhere like the military right? Well it would only go to show you that if you graduate from a place that is military-like, then you would follow whatever orders, suggestions, teachings, whatever that you were told and thus, you're ignorant as hell.

If you know anything about why this dude and his followers hate us, you would know that it stems from our bases in Saudi Arabia and our unilateral support of Israel. Our base is in SA because of the first invasion, and the first invasion was nothing more than oil. If it was because of bad guy Hussein, well there's worse, and if it was for human rights... we suck at human rights, and we're not in the Sudan.

Again, but the Kool-aid down and get out of here with your bragging about a made up degree
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    I love it. Great song and great message.
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    Where do you get a degree in counter-terrorism? Obviously somewhere like the military right? Well it would only go to show you that if you graduate from a place that is military-like, then you would follow whatever orders, suggestions, teachings, whatever that you were told and thus, you're ignorant as hell.

Again, but the Kool-aid down and get out of here with your bragging about a made up degree

I thought so too but I looked it up and there actually is such a thing, to my surprise...however, I personally would put no stock in the curriculum, as it seems to teach the Iraq War was "strategically brilliant." Hoooo....

So strategically brilliant that five years and thousands of military and civilian casuaties later there's still no end in sight...
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    cropduster wrote:
    The fact that folks like you still do not understand why it was critical to conduct regime change in Iraq tells me that you're not truly educating yourselves on matters of counter-terrorism, instruments of national power, and counter-insurgency. I can tell you, as somebody with a master's degree in Counter-terrorism, that going into Iraq was one of the most strategically brilliant moves that Bush could have made. Do you realize how much of a terrorist magnet Iraq became in 2003-2006?? Instead of using their resources to plan attacks in America and Europe, AQI and affiliated groups spent them blwoing up all of Iraq, and in turn, alienating themselves from the very mass base (muslims) they claim to represent. Now you have Sunnis ans Shia working together to form paramilitary and militia groups to root out AQI and their conspirators. Meanwhile, how many terrorsit attacks have there been in the US?

The problem is, no matter how much this concept is explained to somebody like yourself, you will not be able to see through your hate for bush and his administration....hence you have already made up your mind. Nobody is pro war ok? If you actually believe that this admin LIKES war, you are simply delusional. Please educate yourself and read up on the national strategy for combatting terrorism, the national security strategy, and the national military strategy...........all signed off by a democratic congress in 2006.

Thanks.

First, you have a master's degree in counterterrorism but you didn't know that it's one word, not hyphenated?

Second, there wasn't a democratic majority in Congress in 2006, because those elected in the fall of '06 didn't take office until January of '07.

I'd ask the University of Phoenix for my money back if I was you. But good luck getting a sweet office job while the soldiers sacrifice their lives and limbs to support your fucking brilliant strategy.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    This thread contains some of the most inane comments I've read, from BOTH sides of the debate ... "brown person bombing douchebag"? For real?
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I don't care voice away. I just want something new and less politically biased

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pWZG--7tc
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I would love to hear Far Behind or Long Nights instead I don't hate that song but it's been played to death this tour for such simple political track..
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    dpearljamdpearljam Posts: 15
    Ed is trying to make sure that we don't get lazy as the election comes up and as people nussle into the new "change" movement that they don't forget what it actually takes to make a difference. It was just as easy to let Bush take us all for a ride as it would be for us to say its all going to be better now and stop paying attention. He speaks it when its popular and when people are sick of it, and that is what makes him special. He does get a little to drunk to make sense some times, but his intentions are beautiful.
    Chicago 03 Alpine 03 Columbus 03 Indy 03
    Detroit 03 x2 Toledo 04 Grand Rapids 04 NW School 05
    Kitchener 05 Chicago HOB 05 Chicago 06 x2
    Grand Rapids 06 Detroit 06 Boston 06 x2
    Washington DC 06 Cincinnati 06 Milwaukee 06
    Bridge School 06 NY MSG 08 x2
  • Options
    Eddie please don't play it again. Play something from ITW; every time he comes out for the second encore alone I cringe and hope for something else, but every time he plays that tired old stupid song. We get it, you don't like Bush. You should read the lyrics to that song and stop "evangelizing." So will I thanks.

"No More" is from Into the Wild :) at least my CD has the studio version and a live version.

I was actually waiting for "Here's to the State" in one of the nights. If you don't like "No War", wanna tell us what you think about "Here's to the State"?

These two songs have been playing non-stop both on my iPod and at home for the past two weeks. I just adore them.

Obviously, there are ppl who love and ppl who hate these songs.
    Severed Hand
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    I think it is a shit song. Period. Same as Gone. Very basic and just plain boring. Feels repetitive to me. I think when you begin referencing current events in songs, you date them. Eddie has always had the ability to address issues in a round about way, but with this song he just goes right at it.

And to the poster who asked why would you follow Pearl Jam if you don't agree with what they say-You can still like somebody if you don't agree with every single opinion that they have. I certainly don't agree with alot of what they have to say, but I still respect them for having their own opinion. I also respect their passion and sheer talent and belief in music. They are truly great showmen, performers and artists. That's why I love them.

My wife and I are complete polar opposites in our political views. Makes for a lively marriage, but we love and respect each other b/c of our own strength as individuals, if that makes sense. Besides, if we were exactly alike, it would be like being married to myself. Where's the fun in that? :)
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    dpearljamdpearljam Posts: 15
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    I think it is a shit song. Period. Same as Gone. Very basic and just plain boring. Feels repetitive to me. I think when you begin referencing current events in songs, you date them. Eddie has always had the ability to address issues in a round about way, but with this song he just goes right at it.

And to the poster who asked why would you follow Pearl Jam if you don't agree with what they say-You can still like somebody if you don't agree with every single opinion that they have. I certainly don't agree with alot of what they have to say, but I still respect them for having their own opinion. I also respect their passion and sheer talent and belief in music. They are truly great showmen, performers and artists. That's why I love them.

My wife and I are complete polar opposites in our political views. Makes for a lively marriage, but we love and respect each other b/c of our own strength as individuals, if that makes sense. Besides, if we were exactly alike, it would be like being married to myself. Where's the fun in that? :)

Nicely put.
    Chicago 03 Alpine 03 Columbus 03 Indy 03
    Detroit 03 x2 Toledo 04 Grand Rapids 04 NW School 05
    Kitchener 05 Chicago HOB 05 Chicago 06 x2
    Grand Rapids 06 Detroit 06 Boston 06 x2
    Washington DC 06 Cincinnati 06 Milwaukee 06
    Bridge School 06 NY MSG 08 x2
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    My opinion is that they should use the No More slot for Bushleaguer instead ...
  • Options
    Eddie please don't play it again. Play something from ITW; every time he comes out for the second encore alone I cringe and hope for something else, but every time he plays that tired old stupid song. We get it, you don't like Bush. You should read the lyrics to that song and stop "evangelizing." So will I thanks.

I am not a fan of that song either, but it is their show and it is his platform. I dont agree with everything Eddie says and does but he does have a right to voice his opinion. I wish it wasnt at the shows but it is nothing i cant tune out for a few moments.
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    HailRoad24 wrote:

Oh, I absolutely agree that you can disagree and coexist. That is actually my point. Deal with it. And if you can't, don't listen. But why follow a band that frustrates you so much for speaking their mind? Why shout "Shut up and play!"? I mean, there are plenty of bands that do exactly that.

You shouldn't marry someone who you can't stand to listen to, and I am sure you didn't. The equivalent would be marrying someone who you tell to shut up every time she opens her mouth. No two people have identical opinions. This isn't about that. This is about people who are asking the band, directly or indirectly, to change. My point is simply that if you don't like the band's songs or politics, no one is forcing you to listen.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    bahhhhhhhh bahhhhhhh bahhhhhhhh that is the sound of all the haters just being plain oll sheeps just kepp on drinking the coolaid this government keeps giving you ,i hope ed sings this song every damm show to the cluless what don't you get about ed being ed holy f they have been a band for how long ? ....clueless i say .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bahhhhhhhh bahhhhhhh bahhhhhhhh that is the sound of all the haters just being plain oll sheeps just kepp on drinking the coolaid this government keeps giving you ,i hope ed sings this song every damm show to the cluless what don't you get about ed being ed holy f they have been a band for how long ? ....clueless i say .....

Do you think if Barack becomes president everything is going to change? You are nuts if you do.
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    I think anytime you log onto this forum "NO MORE' should start playing in rotation. Going to see Pearl Jam in 2008 and complaining that Ed Vedder said political things is like going to the Indy 500 and complaining the cars are speeding. You people are very funny little nimwits. I'm just glad my favorite band are not republicans. Sucks to be you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HXZBI5XTT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUYoKWQQke0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vW0e99GFYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPrGKpXANjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRmCmjM-D8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clyQWkwgXo8
  • Options
    katiebeanskatiebeans Posts: 10
    no more does suck
    "we're already cut up and half dead, we'll end up alone like we began"
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    I think anytime you log onto this forum "NO MORE' should start playing in rotation. Going to see Pearl Jam in 2008 and complaining that Ed Vedder said political things is like going to the Indy 500 and complaining the cars are speeding. You people are very funny little nimwits. I'm just glad my favorite band are not republicans. Sucks to be you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HXZBI5XTT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUYoKWQQke0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vW0e99GFYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPrGKpXANjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRmCmjM-D8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clyQWkwgXo8

Because if they were Republicans they would be totally different? How?

For instance I am a Republican & I think the war is terrible. I also want to rely on fossil fuels less to protect the enviornment and encourage the growth of alternate fuels. I try to be as "green" as possible.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    PJAMEDVED wrote:

Good point. I'm more conservative in my views (not a republican), but I expect Ed to go on rants and accept it.

And I would be very concerned in a rock band was a bunch of republicans!

And No More is not a very good (musically) song ;-)
  • Options
    noceilingnoceiling Posts: 41
    MattyJoe wrote:
    You're right, his rants are uninformed. He had no idea what he was talking about during his gas rant in DC. NO IDEA.

And No More is a stupid song. This isn't Vietnam for fuck's sake. How come he doesn't write a song about no more terrorism? That's the real goddamn problem. Instead we just overlook that and talk about how supposedly "unjust" it is that a guy signed up for the army and got paralyzed because he was "forced" to go to Iraq. What, they're just gonna let you leave the army?? Maybe you should take it more seriously when you join up next time. Of course, it is a horrible thing that people die in war. But you joined up, knowing full well what that meant (at least you should have). You have no right to blame your leaders, they didn't force you to join.

Anyway, why doesn't Ed speak out against the people in Al Qaeda who are actually directly responsible for those wounds??

I don't much care for No More and would rather experience an ITW song, but your way off point and misinformed on many of your opinions.

First, if someone is hurt in Iraq it has nothing to do with terrorism or Al Qaeda. This is W's little war used to feed the war hungry money machine his VP once lead, Halliburton. Nothing more nothing less than a money making war for the rich.

Second, people who join the military sometimes this is there only way out of a very desperate situation. They sign up with the idea of serving their country for good. The President must do the same and the past 8 years he has failed and put our brother in harms way for profit. That sucks.

Give peace and love a chance.
    Hartford 10/02/96 & 09/13/98
    Pittsburg 8/25/98 & 4/26/03
    Cleveland 8/26/98
    Camden 9/02/00 & 06/19/08 (my birthday!)
    Columbia, MD 9/04/00
    State College 5/03/03
    Reading, PA 10/01/04
    Albany 5/12/06
    Washington DC 5/30/06 & 06/22/08
  • Options
    noceiling wrote:
    I don't much care for No More and would rather experience an ITW song, but your way off point and misinformed on many of your opinions.

First, if someone is hurt in Iraq it has nothing to do with terrorism or Al Qaeda. This is W's little war used to feed the war hungry money machine his VP once lead, Halliburton. Nothing more nothing less than a money making war for the rich.

Second, people who join the military sometimes this is there only way out of a very desperate situation. They sign up with the idea of serving their country for good. The President must do the same and the past 8 years he has failed and put our brother in harms way for profit. That sucks.

Give peace and love a chance.[/quote

How is this a war for the rich? I have a fair amount of money & i have seen no profit from the war. What you spread are lies and hate. This war was an excuse to overthrow Saddam not a war to make people rich.

If Barrack becomes president who is everyone going to blame their problems on? God forbid one takes responsability for themselves.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,196

U SUCK!!!! ha, ha......jk.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24