Options

No More

HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie please don't play it again. Play something from ITW; every time he comes out for the second encore alone I cringe and hope for something else, but every time he plays that tired old stupid song. We get it, you don't like Bush. You should read the lyrics to that song and stop "evangelizing." So will I thanks.
SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    I don't care for it myself, but you had better be careful. Eddie might read this and it might hurt his feelings.

*sarcasm*
  • Options
    Play something from ITW...

I have my opinions on that album as well, but god forbid I voice them here, there might be people offended by my opinion.
  • Options
    I have my opinions on that album as well, but god forbid I voice them here, there might be people offended by my opinion.
    I don't care voice away. I just want something new and less politically biased
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,439
    I love it.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    I love it.
    Thanks for the civility
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    Eddie please don't play it again. Play something from ITW; every time he comes out for the second encore alone I cringe and hope for something else, but every time he plays that tired old stupid song. We get it, you don't like Bush. You should read the lyrics to that song and stop "evangelizing." So will I thanks.

No More doesn't suck... but I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HEAR SOMETHING OFF OF ITW

whoops, sorry for caps there
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    I don't care voice away. I just want something new and less politically biased

You might not care, but there are some very sensitive people here that might and I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings because my opinion is different than theirs.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029

it's an anti-war song, not an anti-bush song. you like war, you brown-person bombing douche bag?
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,439
    Thanks for the civility

I've been called names on here before for no reason.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I like it. I think its a good anti war song. it was stuck in my head the other day and i liked it.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    ....it was stuck in my head the other day and i liked it.

I had a pencil stuck in my head once. I didn't like it so much.
  • Options
    long red wrote:
    it's an anti-war song, not an anti-bush song. you like war, you brown-person bombing douche bag?
    Love war; gets rid of many of the people that are overpopulating this earth. Wouldn't mind seeing NYC get bombed after people like you living there. It's amazing that you can no longer voice an opinion on here. I think my PJ days are waning. Fans are turning into complete pricks and if you disagree with Eddies bullshit, uniformed rants you get blasted. How typical
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Love war; gets rid of many of the people that are overpopulating this earth. Wouldn't mind seeing NYC get bombed after people like you living there. It's amazing that you can no longer voice an opinion on here. I think my PJ days are waning. Fans are turning into complete pricks and if you disagree with Eddies bullshit, uniformed rants you get blasted. How typical

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    You're right, his rants are uninformed. He had no idea what he was talking about during his gas rant in DC. NO IDEA.

And No More is a stupid song. This isn't Vietnam for fuck's sake. How come he doesn't write a song about no more terrorism? That's the real goddamn problem. Instead we just overlook that and talk about how supposedly "unjust" it is that a guy signed up for the army and got paralyzed because he was "forced" to go to Iraq. What, they're just gonna let you leave the army?? Maybe you should take it more seriously when you join up next time. Of course, it is a horrible thing that people die in war. But you joined up, knowing full well what that meant (at least you should have). You have no right to blame your leaders, they didn't force you to join.

Anyway, why doesn't Ed speak out against the people in Al Qaeda who are actually directly responsible for those wounds??
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    Ed can write about whatever the hell he wants to. If you don't like listening to anything political then go pop in a fuckin N Sync CD.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    MattyJoe wrote:
    You're right, his rants are uninformed. He had no idea what he was talking about during his gas rant in DC. NO IDEA.

How so? I have no clue on the situation one way or another, but after hearing his rant about that, I'd like to know why you say he has no idea without explaining why.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    MattyJoe wrote:

And No More is a stupid song. This isn't Vietnam for fuck's sake. How come he doesn't write a song about no more terrorism? That's the real goddamn problem. Instead we just overlook that and talk about how supposedly "unjust" it is that a guy signed up for the army and got paralyzed because he was "forced" to go to Iraq. What, they're just gonna let you leave the army?? Maybe you should take it more seriously when you join up next time. Of course, it is a horrible thing that people die in war. But you joined up, knowing full well what that meant (at least you should have). You have no right to blame your leaders, they didn't force you to join.

Anyway, why doesn't Ed speak out against the people in Al Qaeda who are actually directly responsible for those wounds??

I'm sorry, everyone has a right to their own politics and their own opinions. But you don't get to criticize a veteran who gave his body and probably his life to the war you so stubbornly support. People like Tomas Young and Pat Tillman joined the military to destroy Al Qaeda, and that mission had absolutely nothing to do with Iraq. I'm sure you're all about "supporting the troops", just not the ones with the balls to speak out against the war they returned from.

You're right that this isn't Vietnam, and I'm proud of the fact that Iraq veterans haven't been subjected to the demonization that returning Vietnam vets faced from anti-war activists at the time. It sounds like you would agree that Vietnam was a mistake. In 2004 another hero who spoke out against that war, John Kerry, had his service record attacked and belittled by a President who never saw combat in his life.

I didn't think people could stoop any lower than that, but apparently I was wrong. Tomas Young can say whatever the fuck he wants about this war for however long he has left to say it. And people like you are the ones who most need to hear it.

So when Ed sits down with his acoustic guitar for an encore, I might rather hear Hide Your Love Away, Picture in a Frame or something from ITW. But as long as people like you refuse to acknowledge the truth, as long as you cling to Bush and McCain's pathetic promises of "victory" in Iraq, and until we have a president who will support the troops by bringing them home from this disaster, I hope Ed sings No More at every Pearl Jam show.

If you don't like it, go home. Or just don't sing along, or don't buy those boots. You can even criticize Ed for his rants, if you need to. But don't ever disrepect Tomas Young's service to this country or his right to speak his mind.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    huh?

long red wrote:
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    MattyJoe wrote:

Keep eating the cornbread my friend. It tastes so good going down...
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    I'm sorry, everyone has a right to their own politics and their own opinions. But you don't get to criticize a veteran who gave his body and probably his life to the war you so stubbornly support. People like Tomas Young and Pat Tillman joined the military to destroy Al Qaeda, and that mission had absolutely nothing to do with Iraq. I'm sure you're all about "supporting the troops", just not the ones with the balls to speak out against the war they returned from.

You're right that this isn't Vietnam, and I'm proud of the fact that Iraq veterans haven't been subjected to the demonization that returning Vietnam vets faced from anti-war activists at the time. It sounds like you would agree that Vietnam was a mistake. In 2004 another hero who spoke out against that war, John Kerry, had his service record attacked and belittled by a President who never saw combat in his life.

I didn't think people could stoop any lower than that, but apparently I was wrong. Tomas Young can say whatever the fuck he wants about this war for however long he has left to say it. And people like you are the ones who most need to hear it.

So when Ed sits down with his acoustic guitar for an encore, I might rather hear Hide Your Love Away, Picture in a Frame or something from ITW. But as long as people like you refuse to acknowledge the truth, as long as you cling to Bush and McCain's pathetic promises of "victory" in Iraq, and until we have a president who will support the troops by bringing them home from this disaster, I hope Ed sings No More at every Pearl Jam show.

If you don't like it, go home. Or just don't sing along, or don't buy those boots. You can even criticize Ed for his rants, if you need to. But don't ever disrepect Tomas Young's service to this country or his right to speak his mind.

I sing no more every day....... no more dirty hippies that is. How come everyone has a right to an opinion if your first sentence but then everyone doesnt in your second sentence? Your rant was soo closeminded. You are all about allowing free speech and thoughts as long as they agree with you. If Thomas Young didnt want to be criticized than he would not be politically outspoken. By the way, John Kerry is the most two faced politician i have ever seen.
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    no more is getting boring thats all... i would love to hear rise or long nights or tuolomne or guarnteed or setting forth, no more 2 nights in a row at msg is very not cool and boring
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    The only reason I tolerate this song is because Ed sounds so damn sexy!
    I really wish he would stop the Obama crap, shut up and sing. Why cant we het a thumbing my way if he wants to sing alone!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    395486pj10395486pj10 Posts: 95
    I like it. I think its a good anti war song. it was stuck in my head the other day and i liked it.

I agree. I think it's a great, powerful anti-war song. I think it's really important to hear as we are in the midst of an incredibly messed up war. I love the song.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Maybe you should take it more seriously when you join up next time. Of course, it is a horrible thing that people die in war. But you joined up, knowing full well what that meant (at least you should have). You have no right to blame your leaders, they didn't force you to join.

I'm sorry, I tried but couldn't resist. If Ed's rants are 100% bullshit, there are certainly no more so than this nonsense. Ugh. God. Fuck me if I say something you don't wanna hear.

Yes, soldiers are just meat to be thrown into whatever strategically unsound grinder our oil-sucking hawks in DC see fit. That's exactly right. You're a champ. Go have a beer and enjoy your day.
  • Options
    You can be political without using a sledgehammer. Vedder has not yet figured out how to be subtle. That's why No More makes me want to barf.
  • Options
    I personally love that song. If you don't like it you're free to disagree. I think that it makes you one of many things, but you have the right to speak your mind.

Also, complaining about Eddie's activist side in 2008 is an indication that you have not researched the band you are going to see. If you don't like it, he has said befor ethat you are free to leave and disavow PJ.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    long red wrote:

you are a psycho
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    long red wrote:
    it's an anti-war song, not an anti-bush song.

No more president's lying ... no more

To which president do you think he's referring there? Ahminijiad?

By the way, I've come to a greater appreciation of this song after seeing it live. Yeah, I'd wished he would have played something else the second night, but what the hell?

The lyrics are simple, sure ... but there are a couple lines that are actually pretty good. "took a bullet in the back for his pay."

"No more terrorizing" -- or is it "terror rising"? -- It could be either, which is why I love Ed's lyrics.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Vedder has not yet figured out how to be subtle.

I wonder how I would characterize this...ears of stone, perhaps? And I don't mean Gossard.

There are often multiple paths to a subject. Some are subtle, others less so.

This happens to be one of the less subtle.

Surely you didn't mean to imply that he has no grasp of subtlety in songwriting. Surely. But maybe you did.

Ah, fuck it. Nevermind.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    I cannot believe the stupidity of people who are still rallying behind a bunch of lies and thinking that we're in Iraq because of terrorists. That is so awesome. It's like when Cartman says that he's so impressed with Rob Reiner how he just pushes people around and makes them do what he says. I'm beyond mad at this point, I'm just impressed.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!