Options

Meanings

2»

Comments

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,470
    KV4053 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Um there’s lots of politics here, it just isn’t hitting us over the head with it
    That is my interpretation also.
    wich songs do you think are about politics?
    I don't normally spend a lot of time analyzing the lyrics. I let it evolve over time. However, the lyrics of individual songs and the collection as a whole is thematic in my mind. That's why I believe it is a concept album which uses a relationship, an individual in many songs, to symbolize broader relationships. Broader relationships with whom? I believe it is the divided country or at least the extremes of this divided country. Something Special is the exception to what I'm thinking.

To answer your question specifically, give me a few days to absorb the album more. I'm five full listens in, but I definitely need a few more spins. With this album, for some reason I am only listening to it as a whole rather than individual songs.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 625
    You think “arrested the press, no one knows what happened next” (just for 1 example) is about relationships rather than about say Putin?
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 739
    kmcmanus said:
    You think “arrested the press, no one knows what happened next” (just for 1 example) is about relationships rather than about say Putin?
    That's clearly about Trump
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 625
    JR86440 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    That's clearly about Trump
    Well probably both, but it’s certainly not a divorce song unless their bromance is in trouble
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    "Following the release of Pearl Jam‘s new album “Dark Matter,” frontman Eddie Vedder has revealed the rationale behind political song “Wreckage.”

Speaking to the U.K.’s Sunday Times, Vedder said of the song: “There is a guy in the United States who is still saying he didn’t lose an election, and people are reverberating and amplifying that message as if it is true. Trump is desperate. I don’t think there has ever been a candidate more desperate to win, just to keep himself out of prison and to avoid bankruptcy. It is all on the line, and he’s out there playing the victim — at least they’re doing this to me, because if not they would be doing it to you — but you haven’t falsified your tax records. You don’t have classified information in your basement. So the song is saying, let’s not be driven apart by one person, especially not a person without any worthy causes.”

In light of this nugget -- which, I still don't hear Wreckage as a political song -- what if every lyric that feels like it's about divorce or a breakup is about breaking up with your country? What if it's using the idea of trying to save a marriage as an allegory for trying to save our country or way of life?

I'm just spitballing and mostly taken aback by the quote above.

everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,375
    Great quote, hadnt seen that.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    "Following the release of Pearl Jam‘s new album “Dark Matter,” frontman Eddie Vedder has revealed the rationale behind political song “Wreckage.”

Speaking to the U.K.’s Sunday Times, Vedder said of the song: “There is a guy in the United States who is still saying he didn’t lose an election, and people are reverberating and amplifying that message as if it is true. Trump is desperate. I don’t think there has ever been a candidate more desperate to win, just to keep himself out of prison and to avoid bankruptcy. It is all on the line, and he’s out there playing the victim — at least they’re doing this to me, because if not they would be doing it to you — but you haven’t falsified your tax records. You don’t have classified information in your basement. So the song is saying, let’s not be driven apart by one person, especially not a person without any worthy causes.”

In light of this nugget -- which, I still don't hear Wreckage as a political song -- what if every lyric that feels like it's about divorce or a breakup is about breaking up with your country? What if it's using the idea of trying to save a marriage as an allegory for trying to save our country or way of life?

This is interesting. I saw this and looked at the lyrics again and still not really understanding the connection to Donald Trump. I was picking up on a lot of societal themes throughout the album, but not so much with this track.
  • Options
    Lifted said:

This is interesting. I saw this and looked at the lyrics again and still not really understanding the connection to Donald Trump. I was picking up on a lot of societal themes throughout the album, but not so much with this track.
    There's a part of me that believes the writer of that piece has the song title wrong and Ed is talking about a different one, most likely the title track. But interesting nonetheless.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    Lifted said:

There's a part of me that believes the writer of that piece has the song title wrong and Ed is talking about a different one, most likely the title track. But interesting nonetheless.
    I dont know, there's a few publications that said the same thing, but the title track would certainly make more obvious sense.
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 529
    Didn’t Eddie say on Stern this morning that Wreckage is NOT about Trump? Must’ve mixed up title track to your point 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,011
    He said it's not about trump 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    DM282158 said:
    Didn’t Eddie say on Stern this morning that Wreckage is NOT about Trump? Must’ve mixed up title track to your point 
    This makes a lot more sense.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,470
    edited April 22
    From my perspective, the album can be about our relationships with our fellow Americans and not be about Orangeman. However, I do believe there are some indirect references.
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.