Options

Dark Matter album reviews

Comments

• Options
    GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 346
    JKestle said:
    We can all only hope you're wrong...I agree with Ed and Stone (latest podcasts/interviews), Andrew produced a great sounding loud album that holds its composure cranked, and he deserves a second album.
    I disagree. ‘Tis all 
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161

Paste

Pearl Jam Get Exploratory on the Cosmic, Curious and Familiar Dark Matter

The Seattle band’s 12th album is pensive, anthemic and emblematic of the storied 30-year chemistry shared between Eddie Vedder and Stone Gossard.

My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Kurt Brutus BaconKurt Brutus Bacon Posts: 78
    edited April 30

Post edited by Kurt Brutus Bacon on
    Roskilde 2000, Barcelona 2006, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, London 2010, Arras 2010, Berlin x 2 2012, Stockholm 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Seattle 2013, Stockholm 2014, Boston x 2 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Budapest 2022
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 229
    edited April 19
    After multiple spins, I'm honestly thinking that this could be McCready's best album performance.  As I look to my top Pearl Jam albums, he is great on those for sure, but on Dark Matter it seems that he is on a whole other level, shredding so nicely all over this album, and sounds amazing.  Stone and Jeff sound great as always.  Dark Matter has top tier guitar work, it's so refreshing.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    I really enjoyed the album after a few listens. The Atmos stream really pulls the listen back a bit and lets you appreciate the individual playing here, which is fantastic. The vinyl sound is a bit flat and compressed in comparison. I was able to get the Philly variant, but overall the sound is disappointing, especially compared to the Gigaton vinyl, which was finally a huge step in the right direction for their studio albums on vinyl. One can't help but wonder if spreading it out over 2 LPs would have helped, especially considering the price was essentially for a double LP album.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    pjpitt89 said: No
    I really enjoyed the album after a few listens. The Atmos stream really pulls the listen back a bit and lets you appreciate the individual playing here, which is fantastic. The vinyl sound is a bit flat and compressed in comparison. I was able to get the Philly variant, but overall the sound is disappointing, especially compared to the Gigaton vinyl, which was finally a huge step in the right direction for their studio albums on vinyl. One can't help but wonder if spreading it out over 2 LPs would have helped, especially considering the price was essentially for a double LP album.
    I agree. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    pjpitt89 said:
    Haven't gotten my vinyl yet, that's a bummer that it doesn't sound that great.  I went to the theater the other night and the sounds was garbage.  That said, I listened to it on Apple music today and it sounded great!  
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    mca47 said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    Haven't gotten my vinyl yet, that's a bummer that it doesn't sound that great.  I went to the theater the other night and the sounds was garbage.  That said, I listened to it on Apple music today and it sounded great!  
    Yeah...its a bit annoying...depending on how I'm listening to it, the album either sounds incredible or like complete trash. 
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 421
    Blown away by the record - there are so many highlights.

The fact that they recorded together in a room comes through so clearly - the creative process together come through. At times it seems that they recorded some songs just as such - all playing at the same time vs. recording instrument a first and b second....

The lyrics are wild - a lot of struggle from a relationship perspective - at least so it seems. 

All of these songs are going to be great to see live.

If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    This is my review of the Dark Matter album.
    Personal opinion and we all know what opinions are like.
    OK. Album is really good. Im at 12th listen. with all versions,mp3,stream platforms,flac etc..

1. Scared of fear is really great opener. Stronge, fast great bridge. Lyrics gives a plus to it.. The drums during solo is amazing. And during the bridge, gives u that bridge Garden has for a second. Also during bridge solo and drums are up there all over.

2. React responce good tune. Would be intresting live. Probably the song with the best bass sound on the record. Remind me some 80s garage punk songs

3.Wreckage good lyrics. but tooo flat..least intresting song for me of the album.. would be killer mood live. Hope the ends give it live some boost. Cos it's monotone. And too long with same melody. It feel not getting excited at any point of the song. It's like wishlist. Same rhythm, same style for 5 min. But has really good bridge as WELL. and all this full Tom Petty vibe. And I can see in my mind the Boss on stage to play this on with the band..i don't understand the repeat of same lyrics in the end for a minute long.. Same thing on repeat it doesn't build at all. Maybe live is different like with an add sing along? Will see.
    I know it's popular as i see around but. It does not do to me..

4.Dark matter Riff and drums are so great. Played more than the rest so it's more mature opinion and usually it's unfair to it like same happen to DOTC. when u play alot a song and then the rest songs comes out u forget how good it was. Eddie will nail this one live, remember this. The chorus is build for him to show his energy.

5.Wont tell. I love his voice in this and has this little the Cure solo/ Riff type in the end . Is like u hear notes of Pictures of you in the Riff /solo /melody at the end
    It's the hidden jem of the Album.., amazing melody and band sound so synchronized in this. Can't wait for this life and what energy and mood will create. And had this feeling of sadness.. Like damn why things are like that. Need to check lyrics. Love the delay Matt does to drums before chorus.

6.Upper hand is my favo so far.. Man .. The intro. The guitar and the building.. Those random notes with keyboards and guitar... Fuck..
    Its like Nothing as it seems and Present tense made a baby... and yes, Pink Floyd vibe makes it so special. At some point I though Eddie will sing some C. Numb or NAIS lyrics to it. Also that Riff feels like there is some U2 - The Edge sound there.
    And that chorus when Eddie says.
    "and I hope..people are smiling and I hope today and every day is grand.. And apologize, so sorry about the timing. You know something I never had was the upper hand..". Fuck me dude.. He nailed it. Talks to me directly this song.
    .. .. Damn is sooooo good. Epic!!

7.Waiting for stevie. Its different. His voice sounds different. Very intresting song. Cos has this 90s energy and mind tempo riff that we all loved The band for
    Solo is wow.. It's so Breath solo style. Amazing and same time feels like it's a British 90s band, not sure how to explain this vide.
    And has this let it ride feeling. Is like they remake it different. .. (never understood why they didn't put it in avocado album..)
    This song gives u alot of different feelings. And the way it change at the bridge playing more stronge the Riff. Brilliant.
    What Matt plays during the solo its unreal. Remind me How Ginger Baker fills Eric Clapton solo during Cream - Sunshine of Your Love!!

8.Running.fast, powerful. Good and simple but.. Then the bridge comes.. And that bridge is fuck crazy epic good.
    Same solo and end of song.. Love Matt drumming

9.Something special is really sweet and easy listen to me..
    Fits so much cos its for his daughters.
    Feels like u want to hug someone.
    Sweet intresting little blues solo as well ...

10. Got to give.. It's Funny when it starts .. Intro starts. And I'm.. No no no.. Not another just breathe.. But it's change and its to REM vibe and feels eddie wrote this one.
    Feels like b-side of retrograde... And has this up lift " in hiding" has.

11. Setting sun
    So. Smooth. His voice is lovely..and feel great for last song to end album. Is like someone sings at a beach in the summer. And then goes up after bridge.. Live this one will impress alot of people.
    Mike will build with the solo so much this one.

This albums m should be called the bridge album
    All bridge at songs are wow. U turn your head to the speaker and u look at it when bridge gets into at every song

Overall. I loved it..has this so easy to ear feeling.. The combo of Wont tell, Upper hand, Waiting for Stevie is the best part of the album by far
    And for sure is more powerful and important in my mind than Backspacer, LB and Gigaton.
    No it's not better than The first 3 albums is no way is better than Binaural and Riot Act but it has the feeling that this is PJ I fall in love and if u want to shum it up.... It's easy listening..flows very well.

My rank :
    1.Upper Hand
    2.Waiting For Stevie
    3.Won't Tell
    4.Scared of Fear
    5.Dark Matter
    6.Running
    7. Got to Give
    8.Setting Sun
    9.React/Respond
    10.Something Special
    11.Wreckage
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    KartsKarts Posts: 116
    This is a concept album. Every single song has one theme. Someone is clearly about to get a divorce.

The name finally makes sense, as does the lead track and even Running, which sounded ridiculous in isolation but works brilliantly in the album flow.

Need more listens and it has to bake over time to have a solid opinion, but the theme is more consistent than any album prior. No politics, no surfing, this is just one message right through.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 585
    Karts said:
    This is a concept album. Every single song has one theme. Someone is clearly about to get a divorce.

The name finally makes sense, as does the lead track and even Running, which sounded ridiculous in isolation but works brilliantly in the album flow.

Need more listens and it has to bake over time to have a solid opinion, but the theme is more consistent than any album prior. No politics, no surfing, this is just one message right through.
    I know other people have had this thought, but I don't quite get it. How is the song DM about divorce? Or, Running? Or, Something Special? Or, Stevie? No need for anyone to try to answer these questions. I just don't see them as having to do with divorce specifically unless you are making some leaps.

Idk, I guess time will tell, but I think people may be reading too much into a couple lines.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,493
    Wreckage reminds me of Small Town, or Golden by MMJ. I just think that riff is so gorgeous. And I like how the tempo picks up for the end.

Anyone hear the Not For You riff in the beginning of Got to Give???
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Karts said:

I know other people have had this thought, but I don't quite get it. How is the song DM about divorce? Or, Running? Or, Something Special? Or, Stevie? No need for anyone to try to answer these questions. I just don't see them as having to do with divorce specifically unless you are making some leaps.

Idk, I guess time will tell, but I think people may be reading too much into a couple lines.
    I don't see them as about divorce. I actually see someone looking for reconciliation in friendship, family and community.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,344
    Wreckage is definitely about the ending of a relationship.  Other songs i hear alot about losing close friends and still being "here" but recognizing time is running out.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    ChoskaChoska Posts: 121
    My hot take is that Dark Matter is to Pearl Jam as Wildflowers was to Tom Petty. Later career albums that ranks with their great, earlier work.

Seattle 1992Seattle 1992Seattle 1993Seattle 1995Seattle 1996Seattle 1998Seattle 2001Seattle 2002Seattle 2005Gorge 2006Seattle 2009Seattle 2013Chicago 2016 x2Seattle 2018 x2San Diego 2022Nashville 2022, Seattle 2022 - Eddie Vedder

• Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,344
    https://www.westsideseattle.com/robinson-papers/2024/04/19/review-dark-matter-career-defining-release-pearl-jam
    Love this review!!  Does a great job describing the meaning of the record as a whole!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 328
    https://www.westsideseattle.com/robinson-papers/2024/04/19/review-dark-matter-career-defining-release-pearl-jam
    Love this review!!  Does a great job describing the meaning of the record as a whole!
    Besides a number of glaring factual errors, its fine🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,953
    I’m sure they’re out there but haven’t heard / seen any Aussie reviews. I’ll have to scope them out. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,301
    First full listen… the only word that I can think of is disappointed.

Second full listen… it sounds more like Earthling II than a PJ album, and I’m struggling to get my head around that.

Third listen… I didn’t make it past Upper Hand.

Nothing has really grabbed me yet. There may be good, even great, songs in there but Ed’s voice is… well, I don’t know how to finish that sentence. It’s obviously changed a lot over the years, but his habit of unnecessarily adding extra syllables and trills seems to be the way he sings now, and not just a quirk.

It’s a strange feeling, and one I’ve never experienced with a PJ record. I’m not trying to be ‘that guy’ looking for negative shit to say, but I’m honestly feeling pretty flat right now. 

I’m really hoping it grows on me, but for now I think I need to step away from it, adjust my expectations, and try again in a few days.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    goldrush said:
    First full listen… the only word that I can think of is disappointed.

Second full listen… it sounds more like Earthling II than a PJ album, and I’m struggling to get my head around that.

Third listen… I didn’t make it past Upper Hand.

Nothing has really grabbed me yet. There may be good, even great, songs in there but Ed’s voice is… well, I don’t know how to finish that sentence. It’s obviously changed a lot over the years, but his habit of unnecessarily adding extra syllables and trills seems to be the way he sings now, and not just a quirk.

It’s a strange feeling, and one I’ve never experienced with a PJ record. I’m not trying to be ‘that guy’ looking for negative shit to say, but I’m honestly feeling pretty flat right now. 

I’m really hoping it grows on me, but for now I think I need to step away from it, adjust my expectations, and try again in a few days.
    I know exactly what you mean and felt the exact same way yesterday after listening a few times. Then I listened to the Dolby atmos version on some good headphones laying in bed to end my day and it was a totally different experience. The instrumentation throughout is fantastic. It's like the whole band is showing off. Now it seems that some of the new vocal stylings aren't really bothering me as much, but I still understand what you're saying.

All the layering, background vocals and runs Eddie is doing, some of the songs sound like overproduced mainstream pop. But I think there's a lot more going on underneath it all. Hopefully it will grow on you. 

Not sure how this will hold up over time, but right now I think im liking it more than anything they've done since riot act at the very least.

Still think something special should've been saved for an EV side project. Even if you like it, you gotta admit, it's a bit out of place on a Pearl Jam album.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    edited April 20
    I am so so pleased to say that I dig this album!!! I haven't felt this about a new PJ album for 18 years, so it's pretty great to have the feeling back finally. I got a taste of it in 2020 when DOTC dropped and I fell in love, but then.... oh. This time, the stuff they didn't release as singles is even better than the singles. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am so so pleased to say that I dig this album!!! I haven't felt this about a new PJ album for 18 years, so it's pretty great to have the feeling back finally.
    So why did you hang on so long? Surely Imagine Dragons has a forum🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am so so pleased to say that I dig this album!!! I haven't felt this about a new PJ album for 18 years, so it's pretty great to have the feeling back finally.

Lol... are you having a nice day today?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It’s funny. It’s been a nice day for me. But not that guy. 😂
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:

FABULOUS!!! I love being alive, dont you? 
    I just dont get why people on here say they havent liked anything since Yield or so, yet they live on here, and continually let the rest of us know their stance on the music. Not saying you, specifically.  Whatev, really couldn’t care less
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That seems really unnecessary. She made a positive comment as part an honest observation of where her relationship with this band and its music sits. There’s no need to bully her.
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
  • Options
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I just dont get why people on here say they havent liked anything since Yield or so, yet they live on here, and continually let the rest of us know their stance on the music. Not saying you, specifically.  Whatev, really couldn’t care less
    I liked the last 3 albums to varying degrees but this is my favorite since Avocado, which reignited my PJ love. 

• Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 826
    edited April 20
    In my opinion, BEST ALBUM SINCE YIELD.  

I know it’s early innings but after repeated listenings these songs have legs and Watt was able to bring out the best qualities in each band member.  They definitely took the best moments of each of their past albums and applied what worked to this album.  A lot of these songs start off good but shift into another gear and unexpectedly become great. 

Absolute 🔥
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Haijay said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I liked the last 3 albums to varying degrees but this is my favorite since Avocado, which reignited my PJ love. 
    Awesome. So you didn't care for Binaural or Riot Act?