Options

First time going to Fenway - any advice?

13»

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:
    Ew276016 said:
    Went to Fenway show in 2016 and parking was $60 back then, if you can, avoid driving and having to park.  Even if it means paying extra for hotel, trust me, avoiding the traffic and parking nightmare will be worth it.  Get there early as it was a mad house.  And definitely at least do the walk around the underground concourse, a lot of cool Red Sox stuff to see, even if you're not a BoSox fan.  It's history, oldest ballpark park in the country.   Went to my first baseball game there as a young girl, fell in love with the game there.  Holds a very special place in my heart.
    I am very much looking forward to seeing and feeling the history of Fenway! So I have a question about 2016 shows. Do you or anyone else remember how early the line ups were for merchandise outside the venue? Also, did they have show specific T shirts for each night? Just curious if there will be for a need to line up for both shows to get a shirt?
    Definitely go the day between the shows, especially if your car/hotel isn't nearby. We did this in 2016 and 2018, and it is sooo much less stress. In 2018, the stands opened at 8:00. We got there around 7:00 (maybe a bit earlier) grabbed some coffee with our fellow weirdos, got our merch, then went and had breakfast. I don't think they did unique shirts for each night either time. I know they did for Toronto in 2016 (I am STILL jealous of the hockey jerseys (and Binaural)), but the Fenway shows have been the same merch each night. If they did do day-specific shirts, I wouldn't be surprised if they were both available the day between the shows.

In 2016 & 2018 they did have show specific shirts, posters (obvi), hats, pins, fuggin' socks, pregnancy tests, suppositories, etc etc 
    But not for each night. They have multiple posters, but they had both dates. Same with the shirts.
    They also had setlist shirts for each show available the day after the show.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 260
    Unfortunately no more Baseball Tavern for pre-game.  I think I spent somewhere between 16-20 hours total before the previous 4 combined Fenway shows on the BT roof.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,509
    No more Copperfields either. I went to a bar by the garage called Butaski’s or something like that before Dropkick Murphys St Patrick’s Day show and it was fine. I called it Bukakies and the wife wasn’t happy with me.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,328
    Also, the Boston Braves left after 1952, for those who were planning on catching a game.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    edited March 29
    No more Copperfields either. I went to a bar by the garage called Butaski’s or something like that before Dropkick Murphys St Patrick’s Day show and it was fine. I called it Bukakies and the wife wasn’t happy with me.
    One of my proudest moments in my limited experience gigging out w/ my buddies was the night we played Copperfields in ‘02. (I never entertained ideas of making it as a musician, so I was pretty psyched just playing next door to Fenway) 
  • Options
    One of my proudest moments in my limited experience gigging out w/ my buddies was the night we played Copperfields in ‘02. (I never entertained ideas of making it as a musician, so I was pretty psyched just playing next door to Fenway) 
    What was the name of your band?
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    What was the name of your band?
    It was so vulgar I won't be posting it here.  =) 
  • Options
    Lol got it!
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Good old Coppa Feels, many nights spent there in my single days.
    Post edited by Poncier on
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:
    Ew276016 said:
    Went to Fenway show in 2016 and parking was $60 back then, if you can, avoid driving and having to park.  Even if it means paying extra for hotel, trust me, avoiding the traffic and parking nightmare will be worth it.  Get there early as it was a mad house.  And definitely at least do the walk around the underground concourse, a lot of cool Red Sox stuff to see, even if you're not a BoSox fan.  It's history, oldest ballpark park in the country.   Went to my first baseball game there as a young girl, fell in love with the game there.  Holds a very special place in my heart.
    I am very much looking forward to seeing and feeling the history of Fenway! So I have a question about 2016 shows. Do you or anyone else remember how early the line ups were for merchandise outside the venue? Also, did they have show specific T shirts for each night? Just curious if there will be for a need to line up for both shows to get a shirt?
    Definitely go the day between the shows, especially if your car/hotel isn't nearby. We did this in 2016 and 2018, and it is sooo much less stress. In 2018, the stands opened at 8:00. We got there around 7:00 (maybe a bit earlier) grabbed some coffee with our fellow weirdos, got our merch, then went and had breakfast. I don't think they did unique shirts for each night either time. I know they did for Toronto in 2016 (I am STILL jealous of the hockey jerseys (and Binaural)), but the Fenway shows have been the same merch each night. If they did do day-specific shirts, I wouldn't be surprised if they were both available the day between the shows.

In 2016 & 2018 they did have show specific shirts, posters (obvi), hats, pins, fuggin' socks, pregnancy tests, suppositories, etc etc 
    But not for each night. They have multiple posters, but they had both dates. Same with the shirts.
    the setlist shirts were available right after the show by the exits
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:
    Ew276016 said:

I didn't see them there, got mine the following day.
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 637
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:
    Ew276016 said:

+1
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:
    Ew276016 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the setlist shirts, but my partner likes them. In 2016 she went down to Boston to get one. In 2018, we spent the night in Boston, and swung by Fenway on the way home.

"I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    JadlerJadler Posts: 705
    Ew276016 said:
    Perfect, so really only need to do the merch line once. One stop shopping is ideal. 
    For one of the nights I was there in ‘16 I was sitting in the State Street Pavillon section and they had a separate merch section up there. Snagged “The Catch” poster and there were plenty left at the time. Got into the park maybe an hour before they went on, and literally walked up to the booth with no line at all. Depending on where your seats are probably worth taking a look around your section! Or keep your eye out while exploring the ballpark beforehand. 
  • Options
    speaking of nostalgia and pre-gaming at bars, Mad Dog 20/20 is now trending LOL.  A staple for college kids in the 1990s.

• Options
    PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 676
    Stayed at Residence Inn Boston Back Bay / Fenway for both 2016 & 2018 shows.
    Very close to Fenway and merch storefront.
    Also nice rooftop bar area which was great for listening to the band soundchecks.
    Probably not available at this point and the post covid rates are absurd but worth looking into. 
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • Options
    Ew276016Ew276016 Posts: 54
    So to clarify. There was a setlist shirt for each night? Anyone have a picture(s) to post of this shirt or shirts?  Also, this storefront mentioned is just a pop up trailer or an actual store? 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,835
    Big line for setlist shirt day after 2016 show. Storefront. No trailer. Yet I seem to remember a few spots around the outside of venue in 2018. Hit 1 show each time.

I always got excited and wait for posters +. Then years later most stuff avail close to cost. Unless there is a killer Emek or Sperry. Those tend to increase in value.
    End of uneducated lesson.
    Have fun!!
  • Options
    Ew276016 said:
    So to clarify. There was a setlist shirt for each night? Anyone have a picture(s) to post of this shirt or shirts?  Also, this storefront mentioned is just a pop up trailer or an actual store? 
    in 2018 there as an actual storefront opened that sold everything starting about noon day of first show and all thru out the three days. I'll have to dig out photos of my setlist shirts but they were available about a half hour after show and all the next day
  • Options
    Wouldn't be Bukowski's Tavern by chance? We had a few in here before walking to Fenway in 2018 & it was a decent spot. A proper pub as we Irish would say, or what you guys call a 'dive' bar? 
  • Options
    To the OP. Look at jumping on the train & going to the Sam Adams brewery, doing the tour. It was free back in 2018 and was a good day out away from the city. 
  • Options
    allthoseredmosquitosallthoseredmosquitos Waterloo, ON, Canada Posts: 1
    edited April 13
    Does anyone know when the fan to fan ticket selling will be available?
    Post edited by allthoseredmosquitos on
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,186
    Does anyone know when the fan to fan ticket selling will be available?
    It is open for most shows, but because Fenway is through the MLB ballpark app, I don't think those tickets can be sold/transferred until a week or so before the shows.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,682
    Wear a Yankees hat 
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,186
    Wear a Yankees hat 
    I’ve got my custom Yankees 10 Vedder t-shirt, but not sure it’s worth the potential hassle 😬.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    drandodrando Posts: 68
    I stayed in the North End in 2018.  Just took an Uber to Fenway both nights.  Was a breeze getting there.  Getting back was a little difficult took about 30 minutes to get an Uber back.  The North End is my favorite area in Boston. So I will deal with the extra time after the shows.