Options

Has your choice of what you listen to changed?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,900
    edited March 12
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I have always been into most genres: punk rock, metal, pop, jazz, soul, funk, country, and on and on. I am obsessive about finding new music. And I mean new to me, not just recently created. I do go through different phases of focus. Just a couple years ago, I was mostly listening to death and black metal. Right now, I am listening to more pop and Americana. 

I did just come across an old punk band that completely escaped my radar back in 80s. They are called The Brat, and they are from East LA. I am now a little obsessed with them. Highly recommend checking out The Brat - Straight Outta East LA. They are also included in some recent docs on Youtube.
    I remember The Brat from the early 80s!
    Rad! I would have been completely into them back then. Catching up now. 
    I saw them open up for The Plimsouls back in 1980-ish.  It was closing night for the Whiskey-a-go-go in L.A., so Tom Petty & Benmont Tench came out during the encore to play a song with the Plimsouls.  Difficult to believe it was 44 years ago!
    Damn! Those are the shows we always remember. Never got to see the Plimsouls.

For those too lazy...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VI-kOwtN4
    If that looks like Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell dancing at the end of the song, it's because it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Y7sBVWkl0&t=21s

Post edited by lexicondevil on
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    benjs said:
    Almost two years ago now, I heard a Billy Strings song, and within a couple of months, bluegrass had consumed me. I would say I'm these days heavy on bluegrass, minor on jazz, country, and gospel, and occasionally like to dip into the 'old Ben' catalog of really anything under the sun. 
    It is amazing how huge Billy Strings has gotten....he is doing 2 nights at the Forum in L.A........18,000 per night.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    Loujoe said:
    Loujoe said:
    Well said Tempo. Heck you turned me on to the ohh sees!
    Add Ratt to that not aging well list. Maybe Manowar too. Lots of that older metal did the trick back then.  Still serves me well to Tap into some great memories.

New to me...Tapped into Emerson Lake and Palmer 'Tarkus' lp. Scored it on the cheap and love it.
    Right on!

I can still listen to 4 Ratt songs. You're in Love, Back for More, Lay it Down and Round and Round but only once, lol.  Now WASP?  Yeah man.  Give me them!
    I Wanna Be Somebody!!  Blind in Texas. Ok for me. Makes me think of my friends older brother and all the "MetalMommas" that he hung out with. Now, if they are alive...metalgrandmommas! All good.

PS I think WASP was supposed to tour. I wonder what happened with that. I can see them jumping on a festival line up. 

Voivod and Prong are touring. I'd have no shame going to see them both. Don't really know Prong.

Back to 2024...New music. K pop and enhanced ring tones...oh yeah and some kicking Judas Priest. 

WASP has stood the test of time for me.  They've got some great songs their first few albums.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    Almost two years ago now, I heard a Billy Strings song, and within a couple of months, bluegrass had consumed me. I would say I'm these days heavy on bluegrass, minor on jazz, country, and gospel, and occasionally like to dip into the 'old Ben' catalog of really anything under the sun. 
    Billy loves music and shows up everywhere!

U want another rabbit hole?  Check out Jerry Garcias blue Grass stuff.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    edited March 12
    The older I've grown, the more open-minded I've become about music (while the opposite has been true of everyone I know IRL, which i find a little bit frustrating). One of my main hobbies is searching for and discovering music i haven't heard before (while never forgetting that which i have already found and loved).... And yet, my loathing of country music endures. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    benjs said:

Oh, I'm way deeper down than that!
    Stanley Brothers, Flatt and Scrugs, Bill Monroe, David Grisman, Sam Bush, and the all-time best, Tony Rice (my dog Tony is named after him).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Stanley Brothers, Flatt and Scrugs, Bill Monroe, David Grisman, Sam Bush, and the all-time best, Tony Rice (my dog Tony is named after him).
    Flat and Scruggs is some straight fire! 

As for Tony Rice… the JD Crowe and the New South’s self-titled album is some good stuff. I grabbed the RSD repress from a few years ago. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Flat and Scruggs is some straight fire! 

As for Tony Rice… the JD Crowe and the New South’s self-titled album is some good stuff. I grabbed the RSD repress from a few years ago. 
    Oh, 100%. All of the Bluegrass Album Band's stuff is equally exceptional. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    Big ol bluegrass fan here. Haven't been listening lately. Might be time. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HyuSsvuWVnU

Fun one if you have a minute
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    I'm a bit envious!  One can never have too much much but, like hip hop and opera, I've never warmed up much to bluegrass.  Have to admit though, I kind of like this one!:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,950
    Most certainly. I still listen to the big alt rock sounds of the 90s and 00s. Still love a bit 60-80s hard rock too. Overall I’ve probably mellowed a little, but generally listen to a more diverse list than I used too. However, that list comes from music of the past, not necessarily new music. I’ve found I’m more interested in music I missed or wasn’t that interested in at first I.e Tom Petty, Peter Gabriel, Kyuss, Arctic Monkeys. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    2 people here have mentioned Petty.  I bought his 2 box sets and listened from front to back and realized there is a bunch of filler on all those albums and no way I could spin any front to back repeatedly.

What are you hearing that im missing?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,239
    2 people here have mentioned Petty.  I bought his 2 box sets and listened from front to back and realized there is a bunch of filler on all those albums and no way I could spin any front to back repeatedly.

I mean, the ones I would generally play back to back are his "solo" albums.  Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers.   Wildflowers is so good, there's a 2nd disc that's almost as amazing as the first disc (that only came out a few years ago).

When I was younger, the thing that got me into Petty was the original single CD greatest hits package.   I spun the shit out of that thing.

I also personally find it hard to get into to new things now.   I guess there's something to the, if you got into it in your teens it'll stick with you for life thing.   Also had more time back then. Bombarded by the radio playing and trying new things, listening to album over and over until it stuck with you.. etc....
  • Options
    Zod said:

I mean, the ones I would generally play back to back are his "solo" albums.  Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers.   Wildflowers is so good, there's a 2nd disc that's almost as amazing as the first disc (that only came out a few years ago).

When I was younger, the thing that got me into Petty was the original single CD greatest hits package.   I spun the shit out of that thing.

I also personally find it hard to get into to new things now.   I guess there's something to the, if you got into it in your teens it'll stick with you for life thing.   Also had more time back then. Bombarded by the radio playing and trying new things, listening to album over and over until it stuck with you.. etc....
    Pettys greatest hits is the best of all his albums where say Hard Promises has like one hit. Now Damn the Torpedoes has a few good ones and the other songs in between are vibe killers.
  • Options

I'm always a bit hesitant to think of lesser songs as filler.  I'm sure there are plenty of LPs for which an artist or band threw in filler because they couldn't come up with enough songs to make an album.  But for the most part, I try to give artists the benefit of the doubt figuring that they actually thought the song they came up with were at least decent and worked to do their best to make good recordings of them.  This is especially evident when a band has songs that didn't make the cut but end up on reissues and you find they are actually really good songs.
    But yeah, Petty for me always had songs on albums that didn't work for me.  The same is true for some of my other very favorite artists- Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, Dinosaur Jr, Steve Wynn/ The Dream Syndicate, Paul Westerberg/ The Replacements, and Juliana Hatfield. 
    The Petty album that works best for me is Damn the Torpedoes.  And to me, Full Moon Fever is a great album.  But we all hear differently.  Some will like Wildflowers better, or maybe Hard Promises.   And I'm OK with having albums that have a few songs that I'm crazy about but not a fan of the rest.  Petty's Echo is like that for me.  I wouldn't be without it because it has some of my favorite Petty songs, but also a bunch that I could care less if I never hear again.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,010
    Im stuck in the past and that's the way i like it. Im just not into new music or should i say bands. Im a simple man
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Im stuck in the past and that's the way i like it. Im just not into new music or should i say bands. Im a simple man

Nothing wrong with that!  Music is great that way- we all get to choose and nobody gets to tell us our choice is wrong.  Music is one of the most democratic things in the world that way!

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,239
    I'm also stuck in the past.  In the later 90's and early 00's when new music stopped interesting me, my solution was to go back in time rather than forwards.  Instead of embracing new music, I started listening to music that was even old.  It's when I started to appreciated Beatles, Led Zeppelin etc..
  • Options
    edited March 17
    Zod said:
    I'm also stuck in the past.  In the later 90's and early 00's when new music stopped interesting me, my solution was to go back in time rather than forwards.  Instead of embracing new music, I started listening to music that was even old.  It's when I started to appreciated Beatles, Led Zeppelin etc..

Sometimes going back is almost like going forward.  Like a couple of years ago when I came across a copy of The Shadows first album.
    Primary
      I had heard a couple of their songs long ago when their first album came out, but they never registers much with  with my then ten year old brain.  Now I listen to them and realize how big an impact they had on rock.
    Though it might be considered cultural appropriation today, their song "Apache" really demonstrates their influence:

• Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,046
    I like this topic. 
    I easily fall into the "Or listen to old stuff plus new things you've found you like?"

My playlist on Spotify is very heavily weighted with the normal 90s grunge rock like PJ, AIC, and Soundgarden, but I also have plenty of stuff that I have picked up along the way like Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, and Shinedown.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    edited March 18
    BSully said:
    I like this topic. 
    I easily fall into the "Or listen to old stuff plus new things you've found you like?"

My playlist on Spotify is very heavily weighted with the normal 90s grunge rock like PJ, AIC, and Soundgarden, but I also have plenty of stuff that I have picked up along the way like Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, and Shinedown.

A couple more new-to-me bands to check out, cool!  Thanks!

• Options
    edited March 18
    Wo-man, lol.

Umm you did go see a brand new band called The Smile...
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:

Sometimes going back is almost like going forward.  Like a couple of years ago when I came across a copy of The Shadows first album.
    Primary
      I had heard a couple of their songs long ago when their first album came out, but they never registers much with  with my then ten year old brain.  Now I listen to them and realize how big an impact they had on rock.
    Though it might be considered cultural appropriation today, their song "Apache" really demonstrates their influence:

If thats cultural appropriation then im cutting the lights out right now...  No need to go any further w humanity, lol

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:

Primary

If thats cultural appropriation then im cutting the lights out right now...  No need to go any further w humanity, lol

Haha, I hear ya.  I dig the song, but I cove my ass a bunch these days.  :lol:  Besides, for all I know, the lead guitar player might be at least part Apache or other tribe.  He looks like he could be related to Link Wray.  In any case, great song, right?!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:

Primary

Haha, I hear ya.  I dig the song, but I cove my ass a bunch these days.  :lol:  Besides, for all I know, the lead guitar player might be at least part Apache or other tribe.  He looks like he could be related to Link Wray.  In any case, great song, right?!
    I enjoy early finger picking songs like that.  The whole surf vibe thing.  Bill Haley comes to mind.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 18

At least "Apache" sounds like something Native American- like rather than screaming white guys.  (I should know better than to say such a thing.  Let the flaming begin.  :lol: )
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    brianlux said:

At least "Apache" sounds like something Native American- like rather than screaming white guys.  (I should know better than to say such a thing.  Let the flaming begin.  :lol: )
    heheeh.  Funny that the Cochise song is in a new movie Rebel moon too.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Got a theme goin' on there!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Got a theme goin' on there!
    Gotta roll w it Brian!