Options

Has your choice of what you listen to changed?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
I was thinking about this because a lot of people my age who I know, pretty much got stuck in the past (that's not meant to be a put down, just an observation).  So the question is, do you:
-Mostly listen to stuff you like when you were younger?
-Or listen to old stuff plus new things you've found you like?
-Or dump the old stuff and always look ahead?
(-Or something else?)

I listen both to old as well as new-to-me music, but I find as the clock tick down (so-to-speak), I don't want to get too hung up on the past, and I'm eager to discover new things while I can.  I can't say I've been hugely successful in finding new or new-to-me music that really excites me (although I love it when that happens), but at least I keep looking. I find the more newer stuff I find that I like, the less often I listen to old favorite (but I don't completely abandon much of anything).
You?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    Yooo.
     I'll never dump the old stuff. Anything new that I like is usually pretty similar to what I liked as a kid. 
    New to me...is enjoying older pop music I shunned as a metalheadpunkhardcore fan. Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, Madonna, Micheal Jackson. Also digging into/discovering bands I overlooked years ago. Stone Temple Piolts, Yes, King Crimson, Tom Waits, Deep Purple, Talking Heads, Kinks, ELP.
    Definitely open to new music. Just haven't evolved to the point of seeking it out.

Interesting to think about.

Good topic BL.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    I have gotten into more singer songwriter stuff the older I’ve become. Not left the majority of stuff I listened to before that. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    I've always found excitement in finding new stuff. Part of it is just enjoying being witness to music's evolution. I will say I probably don't consume as much new stuff from new bands as I may have a decade ago (im usually good with listening to a bunch of new artists, but by years end I really only bring 4-5 along for the ride), but also I'm in so deep theres plenty of new stuff by artists I've enjoyed for the past 10-15 years to keep me occupied. 

I don't dump the old stuff, but sometimes I find going back, it just doesn't hit the same way. Case in point, I put on STP yesterday after getting the new AP pressing of Core. Its great. nice memories. It doesn't give that visceral reaction that it did when I was 14. Its more like catching up with an old friend for coffee rather than being someone I want to hang out with for the whole night. So I guess my convoluted answer is sort of all the above? Look ahead, also look back, but don't dwell too long because the new stuff is more exciting. 

• Options
    edited March 9
    Also, at 45 I'm solidly in my dad jazz phase so theres tons of old stuff I'm digging into.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,647
    Listening to new stuff as often as I can.  More new hip hop and metal stuff, and even pop, but as I go back I'm finding some things from the past in some categories I've never listened to.
    70s 80s heavy metal is a mainstay.  90s rock, as well.  Never seem to get too far away.
    60s70s rock always gets a spin.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Yooo.
     I'll never dump the old stuff. Anything new that I like is usually pretty similar to what I liked as a kid. 
    New to me...is enjoying older pop music I shunned as a metalheadpunkhardcore fan. Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, Madonna, Micheal Jackson. Also digging into/discovering bands I overlooked years ago. Stone Temple Piolts, Yes, King Crimson, Tom Waits, Deep Purple, Talking Heads, Kinks, ELP.
    Definitely open to new music. Just haven't evolved to the point of seeking it out.

Interesting to think about.

Good topic BL.

Quite the broad spectrum of listening, Lou.  I'm not always open to some things as I'd like to think I am, but I'll give pretty much anything a try.  Very cool that you like all of those you mentioned.
    I've always found excitement in finding new stuff. Part of it is just enjoying being witness to music's evolution. I will say I probably don't consume as much new stuff from new bands as I may have a decade ago (im usually good with listening to a bunch of new artists, but by years end I really only bring 4-5 along for the ride), but also I'm in so deep theres plenty of new stuff by artists I've enjoyed for the past 10-15 years to keep me occupied. 

I don't dump the old stuff, but sometimes I find going back, it just doesn't hit the same way. Case in point, I put on STP yesterday after getting the new AP pressing of Core. Its great. nice memories. It doesn't give that visceral reaction that it did when I was 14. Its more like catching up with an old friend for coffee rather than being someone I want to hang out with for the whole night. So I guess my convoluted answer is sort of all the above? Look ahead, also look back, but don't dwell too long because the new stuff is more exciting. 

Great reply, Tim.  And how cool that you've gotten into jazz!
    Listening to new stuff as often as I can.  More new hip hop and metal stuff, and even pop, but as I go back I'm finding some things from the past in some categories I've never listened to.
    70s 80s heavy metal is a mainstay.  90s rock, as well.  Never seem to get too far away.
    60s70s rock always gets a spin.

Oh man, I so wonder why I can bust through my hip-hop barrier.  I know or know of so many people who are more open to it than I am.  I will say, at least, that I liked some of the music in the film Ghost Dog, especially the little bit of what I hear there as kind of a space jazz hip-hop sound.  I just can't get into the n's and bitches and thug stuff- but at least I've learned it's not cool to be as judgemental about it as I have been.  
    Cool that you have that broad, opened minded likes you have there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I have been for 20 years. With all the great reissues from thr past couple of years though, I'm in way deep. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,647
    Ns and bitches is the way a segment of our population expresses itself.  I think just accepting that this is a fact and nobody should care may help.
    (Or not!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    I can listen to the hip hop I grew up on in the 80s, like RUN DMC, but I can’t quite get back around to any hip hop/rap I listened to in the 90s. Once I heard Pearl Jam my tastes radically shifted. I will say I have gone back and listened to a lot of 90s pop & R&B and really love it 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I have been for 20 years. With all the great reissues from thr past couple of years though, I'm in way deep. 

Oh man, yes,  There are so many great jazz reissues lately.  I love it!
    Ns and bitches is the way a segment of our population expresses itself.  I think just accepting that this is a fact and nobody should care may help.
    (Or not!)
    Yeah, for sure it is not my place to say.  There are people in that community who I think are qualified to voice an opinion.  The movie Coach Carter illustrates that well, I'd say.  Great movie, besides!
    In any case, my hearing is so messed up these days, words are not a big factor for me unless I read and like the lyrics on paper.  I have poor auditory discrimination (which means I can hear the words, I just can't always tell what they are), so much of the time I just listen to how the music sounds.
    I can listen to the hip hop I grew up on in the 80s, like RUN DMC, but I can’t quite get back around to any hip hop/rap I listened to in the 90s. Once I heard Pearl Jam my tastes radically shifted. I will say I have gone back and listened to a lot of 90s pop & R&B and really love it 

Interesting.  Not having listened to hip hop widely, I'm curious as to how it has changed.
    I'm familiar with 50s through maybe 80s R&B, but not a lot beyond that.  Any favorites I should check out?

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    What I like to listen to has been a journey from the mid 80s when I was a kid till now. I started out listening to pop and early rap like the Beastie Boys. My parents are mostly country music fans so I listened to a bunch of classic country growing up as well. Started listening to 90s rock like Pearl Jam in highschool and college which lead me to classic rock from the 60s and 70s. From there I've gone on to listen to some heavy metal, blues, funk and soul music. I still listen to all these different types of music depending on what mood I'm in. I also like to find new artists to listen to but mostly in the Americana genre these days. Haven't heard much new rock that really interests me. So to answer your question I still listen to most of what I have over the years while trying to find a few new things.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    I’ll go back and listen to the music I grew up with even listening to music my mother use to listen in our house when I was a young kid! But these day I need new music to keep me engaged. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    GB281198 said:
    What I like to listen to has been a journey from the mid 80s when I was a kid till now. I started out listening to pop and early rap like the Beastie Boys. My parents are mostly country music fans so I listened to a bunch of classic country growing up as well. Started listening to 90s rock like Pearl Jam in highschool and college which lead me to classic rock from the 60s and 70s. From there I've gone on to listen to some heavy metal, blues, funk and soul music. I still listen to all these different types of music depending on what mood I'm in. I also like to find new artists to listen to but mostly in the Americana genre these days. Haven't heard much new rock that really interests me. So to answer your question I still listen to most of what I have over the years while trying to find a few new things.
    That's cool that your folks got you into classic country.  I grew up with a bias against country but then back in the mid to late 80s a friend of my got me to see the light regarding great classic country.  I still can't get into the modern stuff- what tom Petty once described as "rock music with fiddles", lol.
    I’ll go back and listen to the music I grew up with even listening to music my mother use to listen in our house when I was a young kid! But these day I need new music to keep me engaged. 

How cool that you had music at a young age.  My pop played the occasional record, usually classical or oldie crooners, but it was my older sister who in the early to mid 60's really got me going with a wider range of music.

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,900
    I have always been into most genres: punk rock, metal, pop, jazz, soul, funk, country, and on and on. I am obsessive about finding new music. And I mean new to me, not just recently created. I do go through different phases of focus. Just a couple years ago, I was mostly listening to death and black metal. Right now, I am listening to more pop and Americana. 

I did just come across an old punk band that completely escaped my radar back in 80s. They are called The Brat, and they are from East LA. I am now a little obsessed with them. Highly recommend checking out The Brat - Straight Outta East LA. They are also included in some recent docs on Youtube.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    I have always been into most genres: punk rock, metal, pop, jazz, soul, funk, country, and on and on. I am obsessive about finding new music. And I mean new to me, not just recently created. I do go through different phases of focus. Just a couple years ago, I was mostly listening to death and black metal. Right now, I am listening to more pop and Americana. 

I did just come across an old punk band that completely escaped my radar back in 80s. They are called The Brat, and they are from East LA. I am now a little obsessed with them. Highly recommend checking out The Brat - Straight Outta East LA. They are also included in some recent docs on Youtube.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853
    Good question, Brian. Put me in the "listen to old stuff plus new things you've found you like" category.

The quest of discovering new music is one of my love languages. On several occasions I've thought about starting a "How did I miss THAT?!?" thread. For not just albums that you sort of like, but ones that cut deep, hit home.

Finding/discovering new music might mean a 'Best Of' year end list where a new album from 2023 slipped by your radar...or perhaps something from the 1970s which, after multiple decades, finally finds its way to your ears for the first time. A couple of examples for me are getting hipped to Isbell's 'Southeastern' via a best-of list the year after it released, or finally stumbling onto Los Lobos' 'Kiko' about a decade ago after staring at it in plain sight for who knows how many years. Or finally getting into Black Sabbath a few years ago when a good buddy told me I had to give them a chance. All were equally exciting discoveries. 

I grew up on old school hip hop and rock 'n roll, and still consume heavy doses of both. Generally speaking, my tastes have expanded and mellowed. In college I loathed the Grateful Dead mainly b/c everybody purportedly loved them so I obstinately chose not to like them...now literally every year they're my most listened to band on Spotify. Departure-wise, I've strayed from some of the edgier, angrier music like RATM and radio friendly rock like Van Halen and instead tilt more toward jazz and singer songwriters. And, then, a band like IDLES comes along and I realize I might need to unretire my days of moshpitting;)

Finding a new band or artist before they go big time is also still a major rush for me. Like Pearl Jam was (and is) for many of us, being able to hitch your train to their wagon and then enjoy the ride is a rare event. It's fun to watch the meteor trace all the way across the sky 
    (looking at you, Billy Strings), as opposed to catching a glimpse of it at the last minute.

Long live good music.
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    Good question, Brian. Put me in the "listen to old stuff plus new things you've found you like" category.

The quest of discovering new music is one of my love languages. On several occasions I've thought about starting a "How did I miss THAT?!?" thread. For not just albums that you sort of like, but ones that cut deep, hit home.

Finding/discovering new music might mean a 'Best Of' year end list where a new album from 2023 slipped by your radar...or perhaps something from the 1970s which, after multiple decades, finally finds its way to your ears for the first time. A couple of examples for me are getting hipped to Isbell's 'Southeastern' via a best-of list the year after it released, or finally stumbling onto Los Lobos' 'Kiko' about a decade ago after staring at it in plain sight for who knows how many years. Or finally getting into Black Sabbath a few years ago when a good buddy told me I had to give them a chance. All were equally exciting discoveries. 

I grew up on old school hip hop and rock 'n roll, and still consume heavy doses of both. Generally speaking, my tastes have expanded and mellowed. In college I loathed the Grateful Dead mainly b/c everybody purportedly loved them so I obstinately chose not to like them...now literally every year they're my most listened to band on Spotify. Departure-wise, I've strayed from some of the edgier, angrier music like RATM and radio friendly rock like Van Halen and instead tilt more toward jazz and singer songwriters. And, then, a band like IDLES comes along and I realize I might need to unretire my days of moshpitting;)

Finding a new band or artist before they go big time is also still a major rush for me. Like Pearl Jam was (and is) for many of us, being able to hitch your train to their wagon and then enjoy the ride is a rare event. It's fun to watch the meteor trace all the way across the sky 
    (looking at you, Billy Strings), as opposed to catching a glimpse of it at the last minute.

Long live good music.

Great response, jj, thanks!  And cool finds you mention there.  Yes, long live good music!

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I am at the point in my life where I mostly listen to stuff from when I was ages 15 through 35.  I no longer have it in me to seek out new bands, but I do sometimes listen to XMU on satellite radio when the other channels are not playing something to my liking.  

We used to go see a lot of new "buzz" bands, but because of the heavy traffic to get to downtown L.A. (where most of the local venues are now located) as well as the fact that I am 58, we rarely venture out to weeknight shows.

Most of the shows we attend are on the weekend and involve bands from the 80's/90s with whom I am familiar with most of the songs.

There will be exceptions made for certain bands such as PJ, NIN, Wilco and OMD.

Get off my lawn!

• Options

I remember The Brat from the early 80s!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I am at the point in my life where I mostly listen to stuff from when I was ages 15 through 35.  I no longer have it in me to seek out new bands, but I do sometimes listen to XMU on satellite radio when the other channels are not playing something to my liking.  

We used to go see a lot of new "buzz" bands, but because of the heavy traffic to get to downtown L.A. (where most of the local venues are now located) as well as the fact that I am 58, we rarely venture out to weeknight shows.

Most of the shows we attend are on the weekend and involve bands from the 80's/90s with whom I am familiar with most of the songs.

There will be exceptions made for certain bands such as PJ, NIN, Wilco and OMD.

Get off my lawn!

I loved, loved, loved going to clubs in the city (S.F.) back in the day.  But yeah, between aging and trashed ears its mostly about memories any more. 
    Too bad your venues aren't more spread out.  I guess that's true in a lot of areas now.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I remember Da Brat from the 90's, lol.
  • Options
    I love listening to stuff when I was younger.  Some things haven't aged well like Pretty Hate Machine, Social Distortion and a handful of hair bands I used to enjoy like Killer Dwarves and Dokken to name a few.

Always looking for new acts to see and hear.  Went to see Oliver Tree a few weeks ago.  Look him up...

I do enjoy finding new to me R&B/soul form the 60's to early 80's.

I look for early performances of band/groups to see how raw and powerful they used to be and get upset that I missed that, lol.

My quest for music is always happening even though my time to do it is limited.
  • Options
    Well said Tempo. Heck you turned me on to the ohh sees!
    Add Ratt to that not aging well list. Maybe Manowar too. Lots of that older metal did the trick back then.  Still serves me well to Tap into some great memories.

New to me...Tapped into Emerson Lake and Palmer 'Tarkus' lp. Scored it on the cheap and love it.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Add Ratt to that not aging well list. Maybe Manowar too. Lots of that older metal did the trick back then.  Still serves me well to Tap into some great memories.

New to me...Tapped into Emerson Lake and Palmer 'Tarkus' lp. Scored it on the cheap and love it.
    Right on!

I can still listen to 4 Ratt songs. You're in Love, Back for More, Lay it Down and Round and Round but only once, lol.  Now WASP?  Yeah man.  Give me them!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    Loujoe said:

I can still listen to 4 Ratt songs. You're in Love, Back for More, Lay it Down and Round and Round but only once, lol.  
    That's Way Cool Junior. Assuming it wasn't just a Slip of The Lip and you're not a Wanted Man maybe you can go out to a club and Dance and meet a woman who will tell you Lovin You's a Dirty Job and let's do some Body Talk.
    If not, then Shame Shame Shame.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

Right on!

I can still listen to 4 Ratt songs. You're in Love, Back for More, Lay it Down and Round and Round but only once, lol.  Now WASP?  Yeah man.  Give me them!
    I Wanna Be Somebody!!  Blind in Texas. Ok for me. Makes me think of my friends older brother and all the "MetalMommas" that he hung out with. Now, if they are alive...metalgrandmommas! All good.

PS I think WASP was supposed to tour. I wonder what happened with that. I can see them jumping on a festival line up. 

Voivod and Prong are touring. I'd have no shame going to see them both. Don't really know Prong.

Back to 2024...New music. K pop and enhanced ring tones...oh yeah and some kicking Judas Priest. 

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Loujoe said:

I can still listen to 4 Ratt songs. You're in Love, Back for More, Lay it Down and Round and Round but only once, lol.  
    That's Way Cool Junior. Assuming it wasn't just a Slip of The Lip and you're not a Wanted Man maybe you can go out to a club and Dance and meet a woman who will tell you Lovin You's a Dirty Job and let's do some Body Talk.
    If not, then Shame Shame Shame.
    I can NOT listen to any of those song then or now, lol.  Way cool junior was trrrrible....
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Rad! I would have been completely into them back then. Catching up now. 
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Rad! I would have been completely into them back then. Catching up now. 
    I saw them open up for The Plimsouls back in 1980-ish.  It was closing night for the Whiskey-a-go-go in L.A., so Tom Petty & Benmont Tench came out during the encore to play a song with the Plimsouls.  Difficult to believe it was 44 years ago!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Almost two years ago now, I heard a Billy Strings song, and within a couple of months, bluegrass had consumed me. I would say I'm these days heavy on bluegrass, minor on jazz, country, and gospel, and occasionally like to dip into the 'old Ben' catalog of really anything under the sun. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1