Options

What are your top 5 concerns regarding current events today?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
By "current events" I mean anything related to social issues, environment, politics, international affairs, economics, and such.   
In order of importance to you, what are your top 5 concerns?

Mine currently are:
1. Environmental issues, particularly climate change/severe weather events, and the decline of our oceans.  Nothing else seems more important to me right now.
2.  Over-population of our species.  Add to that my concern for children being born today.  They have a hugely tough road ahead of them.
3. International tensions.  Wars, strife between nations, competition for resources, threat of nuclear war.  Not just one event like war in the Ukraine- all of the international strife going on.
4.  Human Behavior.  This might sound like an odd one (and kind of a cheat because it encompasses several issues), but I am very concerns with how people treat each other and express anger toward each other (exacerbated by social media), how people treat the environment (look at Tahoe), road rage, etc. 
5. The decline of the Republican Party in the U.S.  Republicans in large numbers continue to support a radical and unhinged right.  Politically, this is unhealthy for everyone.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    1 - Hate groups/infringing on others rights - lack of respect for fellow man in this country and around the world

2 - the economy/inflation

3 - that there are still millions of people who will vote for lying cheating piece of shit Trump

4 - the environment -  although I think the damage is done and might not be salvageable

5 - social media and what it does to us in general but mostly what it does to younger children and teens - it's horrible

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    1 - Hate groups/infringing on others rights - lack of respect for fellow man in this country and around the world

2 - the economy/inflation

3 - that there are still millions of people who will vote for lying cheating piece of shit Trump

4 - the environment -  although I think the damage is done and might not be salvageable

5 - social media and what it does to us in general but mostly what it does to younger children and teens - it's horrible

Good list, thanks for posting!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    1. Wokeness
    2. Wokesters
    3. Going woke
    4. The Woke Mind Virus
    5. The change in spelling from "Turkey" to "Turkiye." Seems kinda woke.

OK... more seriousness, off the top of my head.

1. Climate change almost has to be #1. Even though pjhawks is probably right that we're past the point of no return.
    2. The future of the American republic. It's past that 200-year milestone and we clearly have a lot of interest in authoritarianism along with the most party-loyal judicial branch we've had by a lot.
    3. Gun culture. The more we carry guns the more we accept that some people are just going to get shot for turning around in someone's driveway, knocking on the wrong door, or because the shooter "felt threatened." We accept 40,000 annual deaths on our roads. We surely will be OK with what I hope is far less than that for the freedom that carrying guns provides.
    4. Police power. It's a broken culture that looks unsalvageable. 
    5. Difficulty in simply surviving for the poorest people...and not just the poorest 5% but like the poorest 40%. Between the cost of housing and food alone, I am stunned how most people are able to live indoors.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    1. Paying rent
    2. Buying groceries
    3.saving for a home
    4. saving for a car
    5. paying student loans
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Environment
    Health care
    housing prices
    Water use (this one I see getting a lot of traction here in the next few months)
    Political correctness. Watch After Class movie and you'll see what I mean
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

Ranking my top 5 would be tough, but the # of Americans embracing fascism / authoritarianism would definitely make the list. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    1. Wokeness
    2. Wokesters
    3. Going woke
    4. The Woke Mind Virus
    5. The change in spelling from "Turkey" to "Turkiye." Seems kinda woke.

OK... more seriousness, off the top of my head.

1. Climate change almost has to be #1. Even though pjhawks is probably right that we're past the point of no return.
    2. The future of the American republic. It's past that 200-year milestone and we clearly have a lot of interest in authoritarianism along with the most party-loyal judicial branch we've had by a lot.
    3. Gun culture. The more we carry guns the more we accept that some people are just going to get shot for turning around in someone's driveway, knocking on the wrong door, or because the shooter "felt threatened." We accept 40,000 annual deaths on our roads. We surely will be OK with what I hope is far less than that for the freedom that carrying guns provides.
    4. Police power. It's a broken culture that looks unsalvageable. 
    5. Difficulty in simply surviving for the poorest people...and not just the poorest 5% but like the poorest 40%. Between the cost of housing and food alone, I am stunned how most people are able to live indoors.

LOL, you had me going there for a second! 
    "Climate change almost has to be #1. Even though pjhawks is probably right that we're past the point of no return."
    ^^^Well said.  Though what pjhawks said is true, that we are in a new world that will remain marked by climate change/global warming/warming oceans, it only makes sense to do what we can to lessen out contributions to making the problem worse.  I was thinking about this this morning in the midst of this intense heat wave affecting out area and many other parts of the country and the world.  Because my wife and I are not young, due to health issues, we need to run our air conditioning at least some of the time .  But we set the thermostat high enough that though safe, we are still a bit uncomfortable.  When I walk into a store or someone's house that is cool during this time, I know they are using too much energy.  Almost anyone can live with warm.  
    The other thing that really gets me is going to the grocery store and seeing vehicles, empty of people and other animals, with the engine still running so that they can keep their vehicles AC running.  Talk about a vicious cycle.  All the world's vehicles are a big part of why we have climate change and yet some people cannot leave their car turned off while they shop?  That's just totally selfish. 

Ranking my top 5 would be tough, but the # of Americans embracing fascism / authoritarianism would definitely make the list. 

For sure.

• Options
    I'm revisiting this thread in light of the fact that I have proof that the daughter of God, Ilona Ann Coggswater, agrees with my #1 choice of highest concern: Environmental issues.  I found this in a book about her and it's taken from her interview with David Letterman.  I have no doubt many of you missed that episode, but here are their words directly from the transcription of that interview:

"Now, where were we?" asked Letterman.
    "Talking about how I was going to save the world."
    "That's right, please continue."
    "Well, first on my agenda is the environment."

[They talk more about that and a little later as follows.]

"Okay, so you save the planet, then what?"
    "I'll work on humanity, human rights, animal rights."
    "Why the environment before, say, human rights?"
    "What use would it be to save the people when they have no planet to live on?"
    "Good point."

So there it is, straight from the mouth of God's daughter.  Some of you many recall my saying basically that line (in bold above) a number of times and it's time I give credit where credit is due.  This point makes absolutely good sense and, besides, you can't very well argue with the daughter of God.  And if you don't believe me, you can read it all in this fine biography of Ilona Anne Coggswater, daughter of God:

THE SECOND GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD  Kirkus Reviews

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    In no particular order.....

1. Our economic future. This can be several things. Inflation, housing, cost of living going up with a shrinking middle class. The national debt sky rocketing - just like any bill, there will come a time to pay up or the economy is going to crash. Unreliable retirement systems for current employees. I think my generation will see a lot more working longer and earning less in retirement than my parents' generation who retired 15 years ago.

2. Global and national population - We can't continue to grow at the rate we are both globally and nationally. I will lump in immigration into this. Our resources, fuel, water, power, etc can't keep up with this growth forever. Probably not much longer.

3. I like Brian's Human Behavior. But I will also focus on local crime and violence. One reason we left the Denver area almost 2 years ago was increasing crime and violence. Witnessing shoplifters in stores without any fear of being caught. Had someone try to break into our house at about 10 AM one morning, found out he stole a car and crashed into the fence 2 houses down from us and ditched some drugs in our yard. Police had little interest because it was considered a low level crime and he would have just been released anyway. Violence in schools was insane. Fights breaking out regularly and kids going unpunished for them. Unless a kid was seriously injured and needed outside medical care, they'd basically just make them apologize and send them back to class. Low-level crime basically goes unchecked. I lump all that into Human Behavior, or the decline of.

4. Environment. I don't think were at a point of no return. But with population growth and declining resources, the gap between lower, middle and upper classes will only get bigger as the environment continues to change.

5. The hate. I guess part of human behavior, but sees like the general hate for someone who doesn't;t agree with you, vote like you, look like you, worship like you, etc  has gotten so strong I'll list it separate. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    1) Lack of critical thinking skills

2) tribalism

3) the general backsliding in public behavior/ etiquette/ social skills that seems to be a result of the pandemic/ lockdowns

4) propaganda/ troll farms/ bots/ psy ops

5) cowardice/ moral midgetry

In short, human behavior. I fear that we, collectively, are not up to the challenge of solving the problems that we face. Our leaders (looking hard at you, GOP) lack courage and character. We have forgotten how to behave in public. We find thinking to be tiring and tiresome. And we would rather hurt or punish the "other guy" than lift up ourselves and everyone else. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Mace I like what you said about hate I've noticed this a lot if someone thinks differently it's instant hate now . Instead of understanding and learning from eachother. I blame the anonymous nature of social media 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -