Options

mp3 to wav? (2005 shows)

LeatherMosquitoManLeatherMosquitoMan Posts: 4,034
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Now, firstly, i know that converting mp3 files to .wav files won't enhance the quality. My question simply is this:

I'm going through and re-doing all my 2005 shows (I have a light-scribe burner and am re-doing all my shows w/burned in labels). As we all know, the only format they came in was mp3. Is there any harm in converting these to .wav, only so that when i burn them to cd, they won't have the small skip that you get w/mp3 files, and it'll be seamless?

I understand they'll still be mp3 quality, but i'm just trying to get rid of the tiny skip (not the 2 second gap, but the split second mp3 skip).
-Chris
Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
2003 Brisbane 1
2006 LA 1 & 2
2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
2011 St. Louis (EV)
2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Now, firstly, i know that converting mp3 files to .wav files won't enhance the quality. My question simply is this:

I'm going through and re-doing all my 2005 shows (I have a light-scribe burner and am re-doing all my shows w/burned in labels). As we all know, the only format they came in was mp3. Is there any harm in converting these to .wav, only so that when i burn them to cd, they won't have the small skip that you get w/mp3 files, and it'll be seamless?

The skips will still be there. You'll have to make the show one long wav with WaveMerge, edit all the skips out with an editing program like Cool Edit Pro, and split the tracks apart again with CDWave. I did this with a few of the 2005 shows.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    dont think theres any loss in quality when converting mp3 to WAV, its just if you keep going back and forth again and again it loses quality
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    SeaTut73SeaTut73 Posts: 458
    now how come when i asked the same question a few weeks ago i got a shit storm of angry responses?!?!?! ;)
    --a--

i'm like an opening band for the sun...
    www.archive73.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The only advantage to making WAV's of the 2005 MP3's is that you can edit out the gaps and make the transitions smoother, which is what the poster is asking about. Other than that, there is really no reason.
  • Options
    Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
    JWBusher wrote:
    The skips will still be there. You'll have to make the show one long wav with WaveMerge, edit all the skips out with an editing program like Cool Edit Pro, and split the tracks apart again with CDWave. I did this with a few of the 2005 shows.

Not true. I used Roxio Easy CD and DVD and I was able to put a fade in on the first track and a fade out on the last track and transition for every track. This will fade out one song and fade in the next song giving it a seemless sound. I used this for the 2005 and 2006 shows. No issues. Nero also works the same way but you have to have the full version, not the OEM that comes with PC or new burners. PM if you have other questions.
    06/05/2003 - San Diego
    06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
    06/07/2003 - Phoenix
  • Options
    jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
    Dan1984 wrote:
    Not true. I used Roxio Easy CD and DVD and I was able to put a fade in on the first track and a fade out on the last track and transition for every track. This will fade out one song and fade in the next song giving it a seemless sound. I used this for the 2005 and 2006 shows. No issues. Nero also works the same way but you have to have the full version, not the OEM that comes with PC or new burners. PM if you have other questions.

yep roxio works for me too, no blips on any of the mp3 shows...
    toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
  • Options
    JDfromDEJDfromDE Posts: 60
    I don't think changing it to a wav form is going to make much of a difference. You're going to have to use a sound editor to manually go in and blend the tracks together, they're will probably still be a click/pop if you don't know what you're doing. You lose quality if you convert it back to MP3 before you burn. Any sound editor worth it's weight should be able to edit MP3s too. May as well just go in and do it without wasting time/hard drive space and edit the mp3s together.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 8/2/07, 6/14/08, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 8/16/08
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    mp3Trim is a free program that allows you to edit out the silence at the end of mp3s. I've used it a ton to make "seamless" CDs.

http://www.mptrim.com/

Sadly, I think there's a size or length limit (7min?) that might prevent you from doing so with longer tracks (unless, of course, you pay for the better version, those sneaky bastards).
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483
    SeaTut73 wrote:
    now how come when i asked the same question a few weeks ago i got a shit storm of angry responses?!?!?! ;)

The difference is that the 2005 boots are only on mp3. mp3 to wav conversions should be avoided if there is a lossless source out there.