Options

The End for Pearl JAm

Comments

• Options
    genie wrote:
    It's not me you have to tell it to. When i said to that guy to check out Wembley set list, i meant it in a good way, i.e i also don't think they are boring.

Sorry! I've got a chip on my shoulder because I didn't go...
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Sorry! I've got a chip on my shoulder because I didn't go...

Agh! next time you should definitely go! not only the show was amazing, but i also met some people who also like PJ. They have these nice meet ups where every PJ fan get together in a pub and gets drunk
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Mohab wrote:
    Is it the end of Pearl jams progression as a live band? They seem unable to move beyond their current reportiore (sp?) of live shit and are stuck in the obvious rut of better,man YL and a few who covers to close every show. Wheres the passion in that? They have been at times the best live band out there, I care enough to mention it, but i could come up with a thousand musical variations they could come up with to perform, and it would be a great show, only obviously they are caught playing to a sort of mainstream of thie rfollowing. How much can the band take, esp. if they no longer need the flow. They play the same stuff yar in year out, they all have it licked.
    their newsest record is fucking wicked, I dont think theyve lost it at all, I just think they are getting complacent, cause the set lists I read look like the same ones I was readin in 2000, 2003 and 2005. Ill see em any chance I get, but i have a bad feeling the last show I see of them is gonna be a bab YL love in and I think they can doi so much better. They play some cool stuff, but need a major shakeup and cut to pride/return to exciting form by playing smaller shows casue obvioously theyed lose the fanbase who comes to hear half of ten every summer.

yeh i kinda agree.. we are only getting a few rares each set.. they have tonnes of songs.. im sick of stuff like given to fly, go, animal, do the evolution, greivance, insignificance etc its too 05 and 06sy and even previous years.... for a start they have barely played any binaural since 2000!!

and they need to play more stuff like dirty frank, wash, breath, deep, leash, hard to imagine, down, sad, alone, brain of j, all those yesterday, oceans, sometimes, who you are, in my tree, smile, off he goes, red mosquito, mankind, im open, around the bend, not for you, fatal, u, undone, hold on, strangest tribe, all or none, crop duster, tumbing my way tremor christ, nothing man, gods dice, breakerfall, parting ways, of the girl ... THEY CANT MIX ANY OF THOSE TRACKS INTO THE SETLIST MORE OFTEN? THERE ARE STILL WAY MORE THEY COULD PUT IN!!!
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    Agh! next time you should definitely go! not only the show was amazing, but i also met some people who also like PJ.

I'm glad you met others that like Pearl Jam at a Pearl Jam gig!

I've seen them twice and they were the best two nights of my life!
  • Options
    I think that Pearl Jam may very be well heading towards the end of their musical progression in general. There new album was so formulaic, and was the first one that didn't expand off of the one preceding it. Their live act has gotten stale, even with the switching of the set list, it doesn't matter, because it's as if they don't have a direction to go in anymore.

I didn't want to believe it, but they have really gotten, for lack of a better word, boring.
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • Options
    I think that Pearl Jam may very be well heading towards the end of their musical progression in general. There new album was so formulaic, and was the first one that didn't expand off of the one preceding it. Their live act has gotten stale, even with the switching of the set list, it doesn't matter, because it's as if they don't have a direction to go in anymore.

I didn't want to believe it, but they have really gotten, for lack of a better word, boring.

hmm. I thought it was better than Binaural.
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483

I couldn't disagree with this more.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    I know that every PJ show I go to, I say before the show "I hope they don't play (insert song title here)". The fact is though, if they they do play the songs that I say that I don't want to hear, I'm still singing my little heart out with a big smile on my face because you remember that you are watching one of history's best live acts performing at the peak of their powers.

Moral of this story - Be grateful for every moment with these legendary performers because you never know when this rollercoaster ride is gonna end.
  • Options
    karola wrote:
    oh, so saying that there's something I'd like PJ to change makes me a person who needs to get a life? give me a break.
    I believe they're a great band, I love their interaction with the audience and I'm entitled to my own opinion about certain songs and have every right to speak my mind.
    I have written already that the 2007 setlists are great so don't give me that shit here that some people can't be pleased.
    and my god, would I love to be in copenhagen right now?!?! the setlist is insane!!!

I agree 100% and I kind of agree with the original poster.There are some sad people on this forum that won't even consider debating a minor criticism of the band and try to ridicule people for even cotemplating criticism.

Newsflash#Eddie Vedder shits just like the rest of us.A reputable source told me.So does the Queen of England.
    Debate is good people!

Imagine if the band came out and played an acoustic version of evenflow like in the unplugged show instead of the same old version...

I think the original poster was asking for a bit more imagination in some of their older songs.The band have shown it to a small extent with the slowed down Porch and heavier Present Tense which are awesome.
  • Options
    I have no issue with criticizing things. What I have a problem with is saying they should change the way they play some of their songs when they have DONE that. They just haven't changed the songs these particular users think they should change. Well, wah...
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    Back to what the original post said, they are relying on the old favorites a bit more than they used to. I haven't seen any shows in 2007, but the 2 shows I saw in 2006 had basically the same encores and some similarities at the beginning as well. Whereas I think the Riot Act tour was the pinacle of Pearl Jam having variety in the shows. It seemed like in 2003 anything was game at any second.

I don't think it is the end of Pearl Jam. Look at U2, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, The Who, Tom Petty and so forth. If you look at the set on the internet and even take 2 minutes to remember it, when you see them live you know exactly what is coming.

Not to criticize any of the bands I listed, but Pearl Jam will never fall into that category. Just because they almost always whip ot "Alive" and "Porch" together at the end of an encore doesn't mean they are even remotely getting stale. They've learned that works is all
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    I don't believe its the end of Pearl Jam.

I just believe its the end of good Pearl Jam.
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • Options
    elpepuaelpepua Posts: 1
    I don't really think you've got the slightest idea mate.

I think we need good vibrations in the house, not just random comments like that. Went to the gig in London 18.06.07 and it was f. brilliant.

Anyhow, wish you love and happiness and peace. And please share with us the 10000 musical variations you thought, I can't wait.

Cheers,
  • Options
    MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    I agree with the poster about ending the set a little different, instead of mostly YL, Indifference, and Baba. Play something odd, unexpected, or close with a fitting "Parting Ways" or something.

And they should re-work the songs they play the most or "use them sparingly" during shows. (Corduroy from Bridge '96. It would sound incredible plugged in, its a powerful/ versatile version).

And...what happened to Daughter, it seems it hasn't been played in while. Oh they just played it 5 days ago. My Bad!
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • Options
    I've never seen them play Baba. Ever. They seemed to play it a bit more in 2006 than tours prior but still... I wanna see it live someday so don't ruin my chances... ;)

It's clear to me that Mike LOVES playing Yellow Ledbetter, so why would I as a fan have issue with that? I want the band to continue doing what they love because there IS no other motivation that really matters. As long as they are happy and doing something they enjoy, they will keep doing it I think.
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    I think some of the old warhorses like Even Flow should be chopped down and have the solo drastically shortened. Same for alive. They have other songs that they could extend and bring them up a few levels (i.e. Half Full, LBC, Severed Hand, MITS, I Got Shit, etc.). I would keep Porch long and pull the solo's out of RVM and push it forward in the set order. Everytime they pushed RVM up, it sounded hard and tight, which is a good change up. Even Flow needs some serious reworking IMO. It has gotten stale.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    MLB5150 wrote:
    I agree with the poster about ending the set a little different, instead of mostly YL, Indifference, and Baba. Play something odd, unexpected, or close with a fitting "Parting Ways" or something.

And they should re-work the songs they play the most or "use them sparingly" during shows. (Corduroy from Bridge '96. It would sound incredible plugged in, its a powerful/ versatile version).

And...what happened to Daughter, it seems it hasn't been played in while. Oh they just played it 5 days ago. My Bad!

I don't know. I'm mean its become so routine that it wouldn't feel right without one of the closers (though I HATE Baba or RITFW to close as I am against cover closers). I'd feel really disappointed if they play say Rearviewmirror and they don't come back out afterwards. The whole time I wouldn't be thinking the show is over and then the ultimate letdown happens... Pearl Jam is gone. :( I understand a change of pace, and kinda wish that the routine wasn't there, but now that it is I enjoy knowing when the show is done.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    I'd like to hear Tremor Christ, All Those Yesterdays, and Can't Keep.
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Thank God you don't do the set lists because if you did, only 200 people would show up a night. Thankfully, Ed and the gang realizes that if you played 25 rarities every night, then only the die hards would care to see them. I love the Fatal's as much as the next guy, but I'd say 90% of the crowd is waiting to hear Betterman, Jeremy, Last Kiss, and Alive. Pearl Jam plays more rarities than any band I listen to and mixes up each show like no other. I love how they can balance between a rarities show and still give the casual what he or she wants, but lamentably there will always be people here that lack any sort of practicality at all.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    Mohab wrote:
    Is it the end of Pearl jams progression as a live band? They seem unable to move beyond their current reportiore (sp?) of live shit and are stuck in the obvious rut of better,man YL and a few who covers to close every show. Wheres the passion in that? They have been at times the best live band out there, I care enough to mention it, but i could come up with a thousand musical variations they could come up with to perform, and it would be a great show, only obviously they are caught playing to a sort of mainstream of thie rfollowing. How much can the band take, esp. if they no longer need the flow. They play the same stuff yar in year out, they all have it licked.
    their newsest record is fucking wicked, I dont think theyve lost it at all, I just think they are getting complacent, cause the set lists I read look like the same ones I was readin in 2000, 2003 and 2005. Ill see em any chance I get, but i have a bad feeling the last show I see of them is gonna be a bab YL love in and I think they can doi so much better. They play some cool stuff, but need a major shakeup and cut to pride/return to exciting form by playing smaller shows casue obvioously theyed lose the fanbase who comes to hear half of ten every summer.

i went to 4 (would have been 5 [venice]) shows this tour and never heard ledbetter once... in fact i heard quite a few songs that i've never heard before live (i mean, other than boots). albeit, some of the concerts i went to had been short, it seems from the setlists i'm seeing now that they're back into their usual lengthy sets...

..oh and i should also mention among those shows ihad to watch other bands (such as 'leenkingg park') live and none came close of course. they just made me appreciate PJ even more... because if i ever have to watch LP live again i will seriously shoot myself.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    I know that every PJ show I go to, I say before the show "I hope they don't play (insert song title here)". The fact is though, if they they do play the songs that I say that I don't want to hear, I'm still singing my little heart out with a big smile on my face because you remember that you are watching one of history's best live acts performing at the peak of their powers.

Moral of this story - Be grateful for every moment with these legendary performers because you never know when this rollercoaster ride is gonna end.

i'd gotta give this post a nice bump. :)
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    over_bends wrote:
    Thank God you don't do the set lists because if you did, only 200 people would show up a night. Thankfully, Ed and the gang realizes that if you played 25 rarities every night, then only the die hards would care to see them. I love the Fatal's as much as the next guy, but I'd say 90% of the crowd is waiting to hear Betterman, Jeremy, Last Kiss, and Alive. Pearl Jam plays more rarities than any band I listen to and mixes up each show like no other. I love how they can balance between a rarities show and still give the casual what he or she wants, but lamentably there will always be people here that lack any sort of practicality at all.

Another brillant post. I definitely agree. :) I've never seen them live, and i'd take all the hits in my first time, rather than the rarities. :)
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    I hear what's being said, a change soon might be good, but it's gotta be hard playing big stadiums, and still mantaining the connection with most of the audience. The band is doing a fine job of that (as far as I can tell), and I find the most recent shows way more fun to listen to than 2000, 2003 or 2005's. As far as staple crowd pleasers in the set goes, they're kind of a necessity for the masses. But PJ still, in my opinion, do a remarkable job of mixing it up and keeping us diehards interested, though they might not want to do that too much and be thrown off their touring rhythm. I guess Baba, RITFW and YL work for the band, and you can't argue that those songs don't unite an audience.

After hearing the latest album, which I love, I could see Come Back and Inside Job being great inclusions very late in the set. Unfortunately, despite the good reviews, the record's popularity didn't reach high enough levels. It's like so much of the crowd don't even know these songs. A lot of the bands which the kids seem to be digging these days (though they don't have as large a back catalogue) get a really positive response at shows to their latest batch of songs. PJ even put out a couple of videos in 06, but it wasn't enough.

I saw 10 shows in the space of 18 days last year, and wasn't bored for a second. Never once did a show feel like it dragged, or was too similar to the night before. But I am interested to know where they'll take it next. We all have our preferences and hopes, but to echo the majority's sentiment : appreciate them for being how amazing they are, and have always been!

Edit : Excuse me for repeating some of what another poster just said, just read it then. :)

2nd edit : COPENHAGEN!
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    MutkiMutki Posts: 25
    People will always complain, no matter what PJ would play. That's the fact. If they played set containing mostly rarites, 80% of audience would be dissapointed because they wouldn't recognise any of the songs.
    When they play focusing on their more known songs (plus some rare stuff as they do it almost on every concert), the rest complain. Always been and always will.

Another fact is, that die-hard fans are in a big minority on concerts.
    I also would like them to play more Tremor Christ, Dirty Frank etc... but
    they dont play for 100 people but for at least few thousands fans everytime.

PJ always give fantastic show, no matter what songs are on the setlists. They pick a great number of songs from catalouge, which is great. I dont know any other band that would dare to play DIFFERENT songs during their performances.

Everyone who is complaing about PJ setlists should really think it over, 'cause I think bunch of you are spoilled by guys so much!
  • Options
    phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    I don't really see the problem here. If I don't like/love a band anymore I simply stop listening to them! And I definetly not going to their concert if I think that they suck!!

Don't need to complain, simply quit the bandwagon there are tons of great bands out there that are desperate for dedicated fans!! We'll see us some time at a festival when you're supporting/enjoying your new favourite band!!
  • Options
    Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    more improvs! other than that they're doing a grand job.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Options
    sisyphesisyphe Posts: 40
    Don't see the point here. Why criticize a band's live performances based on the setlists?

Isn't playing live all about the energy and enthusiasm that the band together with the audience bring into it? The three times I've seen PJ live I've not had a complaint, because that connection has been there.

I also did a little research into the claim the original poster made. In the three gigs I've seen (see below) I've heard 78 songs. 40 of them once, 16 twice and two songs thrice. I would say that's a good selection, not something that many bands are willing or able to make.

One of those gigs was London, which I think shows a possible direction the band could take. One or two Ten Club gigs in a tour, where they can play rarely heard stuff to keep themselves fresh and the die-hards happy...
    I'm questioning my education
    Rewind and what does it show?
    Could be, the truth it becomes you
    I'm a seed, wondering why it grows

Stockholm '00
    Paris '06
    London '07
  • Options
    Big ManBig Man Posts: 97
    Mohab wrote:

I am with you. And to all you haters out there, whats wrong with you? Mohab suggested a way to make concerts better and praised the band as tight players and the new album, and all some people can do is shit on the thread, you gyus make me sick. What a lame bunch of replies these were indeed. I love pearl jam and ill see them tomorow and I hope for Sleight of hand and cant keep, ok? Thank you

it is quite obvious that they made a change in strategy with the last record and its promotion, they want to become more mainnstream again cuz recordsales decreased. that is a development that for hardcore fans like us who stayed faithfull during binaural and riot act ... this development is not cool for some of us. I dont like to hear 'alive', but this is were they are going. And its ok for Mohab to critize it.
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    Big Man wrote:
    I am with you. And to all you haters out there, whats wrong with you? Mohab suggested a way to make concerts better and praised the band as tight players and the new album, and all some people can do is shit on the thread, you gyus make me sick. What a lame bunch of replies these were indeed. I love pearl jam and ill see them tomorow and I hope for Sleight of hand and cant keep, ok? Thank you

it is quite obvious that they made a change in strategy with the last record and its promotion, they want to become more mainnstream again cuz recordsales decreased. that is a development that for hardcore fans like us who stayed faithfull during binaural and riot act ... this development is not cool for some of us. I dont like to hear 'alive', but this is were they are going. And its ok for Mohab to critize it.

so the pair of you can just buy the albums and avoid the live shows... problem solved! ;):D

EDIT: what a waste of a 1000th post! ;)
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    The first poster is right pearl jam is boring live, they always play their songs and they sound similiar, maybe the should change the hole stuff, boom singing, eddie doing the bass, jeff playing the drums, stone the piano, matt just wristling and mike mccready plays steeldrums.
    They should do some depeche mode covers and be more glam, maybe they should do some rap parts why not a duett with paris hilton ?
    Or they rerecord their records with Timbaland, they should be more inspired by Kraftwerk.

They also should do more dancing, they should take exemple from n'sinc and michael jackson. They could do some ballett...

and why are their songs soo diffiult too listen to? What's this cryptic lyrics ? Why not make more light songs, more chalala and tralala, more rhymes with you and me and love and sugar...

To be honest they should make an american Idol show, the young peoples should listen too what their parents were listening. I mean everybody knows the Stones, the beatles but what about pearl jam???
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.