Options

The End for Pearl JAm

MohabMohab Posts: 310
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Is it the end of Pearl jams progression as a live band? They seem unable to move beyond their current reportiore (sp?) of live shit and are stuck in the obvious rut of better,man YL and a few who covers to close every show. Wheres the passion in that? They have been at times the best live band out there, I care enough to mention it, but i could come up with a thousand musical variations they could come up with to perform, and it would be a great show, only obviously they are caught playing to a sort of mainstream of thie rfollowing. How much can the band take, esp. if they no longer need the flow. They play the same stuff yar in year out, they all have it licked.
their newsest record is fucking wicked, I dont think theyve lost it at all, I just think they are getting complacent, cause the set lists I read look like the same ones I was readin in 2000, 2003 and 2005. Ill see em any chance I get, but i have a bad feeling the last show I see of them is gonna be a bab YL love in and I think they can doi so much better. They play some cool stuff, but need a major shakeup and cut to pride/return to exciting form by playing smaller shows casue obvioously theyed lose the fanbase who comes to hear half of ten every summer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    uh, . . . no. The setlists for the 2006 tour were great, in my opinion. Dirty Frank, the return of Leash, Garden, the list goes on. They're playing Europe for the 2nd time right now, and look at the non-festival setlists. The festival setlists have been short and sweet. Let's put this into perspective. Most bands play the SAME DAMN SETLIST night after night. Pearl Jam changes theirs more than anybody else out there, besides possibly the Dave Matthews Band. We're lucky, and I personally think they are more on top of their game right now than some past tours.
  • Options
    MirellaMirella Posts: 242
    Wow, you (the first poster) have obviously missed the current tour! I've never seen them this good before. Like entering a new dimension. And it was good already...

groetjes,
    Mirella :)
    Bugs mailinglist site: http://www.igotbugs.net/wiki
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Stop trolling. leave, please. thanks.
    i wasnt gonna say anything, but your post is pure trolling.
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Wow I think the current setlists are way different than 2000. I could name all the regular songs that tentpoled the setlists in 2000 and the ones that do so on the 2006-07 tour, but you've clearly made up your mind. I think each tour has had some subtle and some blatant changes to setlists. You are just seeing what you want to see.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    I don't quite understand the complaint. Not that I don't agree, I just don't actually understand what you're saying.

Could you speak up please?

Obviously every setlist is going to contain some Pearl Jam songs. Therefore, sometimes you'll get some of the more famous ones. That's because they're Pearl Jam songs. And Pearl Jam like to play their songs. What, you want them to play other bands' songs? Or write 100 new ones?

You're weird.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    pajopajo Posts: 3,292
    I don't quite understand the complaint.

You're weird.
    agreed
  • Options
    We all have songs we're sick of. I for one was sick of Elderly Woman for like 7 years. Only in the past few months have I been able to enjoy it again. Now I find myself sick to death of Do The Evolution. We all have ones we lose interest in and ones we don't no matter how much they are played. I have never gotten sick of Corduroy, Daughter or Better Man.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    martina78martina78 Posts: 29
    Are you serious or just a bit bored and taking the piss? As someone else has mentioned Pearl Jam are one of the few bands who do change their setlist for each gig. Of course they are going to play some of the more well known songs and the live 'favourites' ,but as anyone can see from the Wembley setlist last week, they aren't afraid to drop the usuals and mix it up a bit. What makes them one of the most exciting live bands is their passion and the fact that they love to play live, and more importantly for me, the anticipation before a gig of what songs you're going to hear. They ALWAYS throw in a few surprises so I really don't understand where you're coming from. I think they are tighter than they have ever been, and as this being the end of their progression as a live band, that's total shite!
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    strilo wrote:
    We all have songs we're sick of. I for one was sick of Elderly Woman for like 7 years. Only in the past few months have I been able to enjoy it again. Now I find myself sick to death of Do The Evolution. We all have ones we lose interest in and ones we don't no matter how much they are played. I have never gotten sick of Corduroy, Daughter or Better Man.

Yeah, you are right! :eek:
    I am personally sick of Corduroy and Severed Hand actually, from this year enjoy Rearviewmirror again, but I have never got sick of Elderly Woman..., Daughter or Better Man. :rolleyes:

BTW
    Anyone who misses this tour and has no bootleg from this tour should just shut up and stop critisising Pearl Jam in 2007!!! :mad:
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Options
    karolakarola Posts: 39
    this is not a popular thing to say here but I do agree that they could be more creative with songs they play over and over again - play 'alive' a bit differently, change the solos, play a different riff - it's just always the same and I can't understand how it's possible they're not bored to death of it... or maybe they're but it's just easier for them this way.... same with 'jeremy' or 'evenflow' (yay for finally skipping it on a couple of shows!) or ending the concerts with predictable songs...
    the 2007 tour is great setlistwise (festivals not included) but I would still opt for more improvisation or innovation in some of the songs..

what it comes down to though is that if you go to a number of shows of a band you're bound to see repetition. and hail hail to the lucky ones who see one concert every few years - how fresh it must all be!

having said that, I still believe they are the best band ever and they're great live! :)
    1996: warsaw; 1998: kansas city; 2000: katowice x 2
    2006: bologna, verona, torino, prague, vienna
    2007: chorzow
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    Mohab wrote:
    Is it the end of Pearl jams progression as a live band? They seem unable to move beyond their current reportiore (sp?) of live shit and are stuck in the obvious rut of better,man YL and a few who covers to close every show. Wheres the passion in that? They have been at times the best live band out there, I care enough to mention it, but i could come up with a thousand musical variations they could come up with to perform, and it would be a great show, only obviously they are caught playing to a sort of mainstream of thie rfollowing. How much can the band take, esp. if they no longer need the flow. They play the same stuff yar in year out, they all have it licked.
    their newsest record is fucking wicked, I dont think theyve lost it at all, I just think they are getting complacent, cause the set lists I read look like the same ones I was readin in 2000, 2003 and 2005. Ill see em any chance I get, but i have a bad feeling the last show I see of them is gonna be a bab YL love in and I think they can doi so much better. They play some cool stuff, but need a major shakeup and cut to pride/return to exciting form by playing smaller shows casue obvioously theyed lose the fanbase who comes to hear half of ten every summer.

You're really on a negative role with this thread aren't you? Open your curtains, eat a good meal, smell a few flowers to cheer you up.

I do not think it is "The End for Pearl Jam." :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    MohabMohab Posts: 310
    What a lame bunch of replies. My life is awesome, I love the band too, the two arnt related. i was referring directly to the musicality of the band live. They are good, tight players but they do not stretch out anymore, they are on a track tht will leave them soundng liek the who nowadays - a nostalgia act. Their albums are still awesome, but sadly they seem caught trying to please the casual more mianstream fans, and and sound as if they have it licked and are more into doing thier job than expanding as musicians.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,427
    Mohab wrote:
    What a lame bunch of replies. My life is awesome, I love the band too, the two arnt related. i was referring directly to the musicality of the band live. They are good, tight players but they do not stretch out anymore, they are on a track tht will leave them soundng liek the who nowadays - a nostalgia act. Their albums are still awesome, but sadly they seem caught trying to please the casual more mianstream fans, and and sound as if they have it licked and are more into doing thier job than expanding as musicians.

you need spell check and when was the last time you saw the band live not on youtube ok i mean live .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    GO!!!GO!!! Posts: 74
    Mohab wrote:
    But sadly they seem caught trying to please the casual more mianstream fans

I think the Dusseldorf show 21-06-07 is a very good example of the fact that you are not right!!!
  • Options
    karola wrote:
    this is not a popular thing to say here but I do agree that they could be more creative with songs they play over and over again - play 'alive' a bit differently, change the solos, play a different riff - it's just always the same and I can't understand how it's possible they're not bored to death of it... or maybe they're but it's just easier for them this way.... same with 'jeremy' or 'evenflow' (yay for finally skipping it on a couple of shows!) or ending the concerts with predictable songs...

But Evenflow is different in 2006-07 than it was in 2000 and 2003. Mike solos forever now and they added the drum solo. They didn't do that before. And Alive is longer and more jammed out than it was in 2000. In My Tree was played differently in 2003 than it is now and was in 2000 or 1998. They do change things around. Sure they could mess around with things more, but it's not like they play things like they did in the 90s.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Mohab wrote:

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, and i will leave it at that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    strilo wrote:
    But Evenflow is different in 2006-07 than it was in 2000 and 2003. Mike solos forever now and they added the drum solo. They didn't do that before. And Alive is longer and more jammed out than it was in 2000. In My Tree was played differently in 2003 than it is now and was in 2000 or 1998. They do change things around. Sure they could mess around with things more, but it's not like they play things like they did in the 90s.

so 'evenflow is different than it was in 2000... but still, they play it at almost every show the same way- it is no longer new and different. same with alive.
    my point being - they could be more creative with their old songs, especially ones they play over and over again, that's all.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,274
    Mohab wrote:
    i disagree
    danny d
  • Options
    martina78martina78 Posts: 29
    GO!!! wrote:
    I think the Dusseldorf show 21-06-07 is a very good example of the fact that you are not right!!!
    As does the wembley show. I really don't understand how you can accuse them of basically just showing up to play a few songs, then go home. Each time I've seen them, they've been on fire, between the passion they showed and the setlists, they've been the best live band I've ever seen by far.
    I think Pearl Jam fans are actually spoiled when it comes to them playing live. How many bands put on shows like they do, or care as much about their fanbase? I just feel that this is a bit of a pointless thread, and I normally wouldn't even be bothered replying, but after seeing them last week I just couldn't let it go. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, and to critisise them if you're not happy, but you haven't actually backed up your argument with any real evidence. They are an amazing band live, end of story!
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    magikev wrote:
    uh, . . . no. The setlists for the 2006 tour were great, in my opinion. Dirty Frank, the return of Leash, Garden, the list goes on. They're playing Europe for the 2nd time right now, and look at the non-festival setlists. The festival setlists have been short and sweet. Let's put this into perspective. Most bands play the SAME DAMN SETLIST night after night. Pearl Jam changes theirs more than anybody else out there, besides possibly the Dave Matthews Band. We're lucky, and I personally think they are more on top of their game right now than some past tours.
    agreed. The thread starter is high. The endings of the show remind you that you are part of a continuum of pj shows. They mix it up way more than any other band and have at least 75 songs going during any given tour; some tours close to 100. Dave Matthews could never do that. He does mix it up, but the long jam sessions give you less songs. PJ gets more inventive each tour.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    karola wrote:
    so 'evenflow is different than it was in 2000... but still, they play it at almost every show the same way- it is no longer new and different. same with alive.
    my point being - they could be more creative with their old songs, especially ones they play over and over again, that's all.
    I don't think they need to rework every song. Sometimes leaving them as is is better. They don't have the time to rework every song and write new ones. Get a life.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    karola wrote:
    They could sure. They could do a lot of things. They could play in the round. They could do an outdoor venue only tour. They could play Vitalogy in order from beginning to end. They could do a show of only cover songs. They could tour with Britney Spears. But to have some expectation that if they don't do these things, it's somehow a problem... well that's silly. They do more than 99.9% of the bands out there. Be happy with all that we get.

EDIT: Oh and what about the re-worked version of Garden? WTF do you people want? They pull out rare songs and rework songs every tour. There really is no pleasing some people.
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Pearl Jam works harder than most bands at keeping it different and fresh for themselves and for the fans.
    To those questioning how they aren't sick of Even Flow or whatever, the answer is simple: Life on the road is repititious and can be very gruelling. I imagine the band has a handful of tunes they play almost every night 'cause their fuckin' good at playing them. They can slip into them easily and give a great performance without thinking too hard about it. It's comfortable. So there's that part of playing, staying consistent, and then there's the more daring, artful, exploratory part that wants to dig out old gems and switch songs around.
    I think they do a pretty good job at balancing the two.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Copenhagen 2007.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    even playing the 20 "worse" song... the show will be motherfucker.
    i disagree with the first post.
    san sebastian 1996 ( no code tour)
    san sebastian 2000 (binaural tour)
    vitoria-gasteiz 2006 (pearl jam tour)
    madrid 2007 (european tour )

".... IF NOTHING IS EVERYTHING, I WILL HAVE IT ALL..."
  • Options
    oh, so saying that there's something I'd like PJ to change makes me a person who needs to get a life? give me a break.
    I believe they're a great band, I love their interaction with the audience and I'm entitled to my own opinion about certain songs and have every right to speak my mind.
    I have written already that the 2007 setlists are great so don't give me that shit here that some people can't be pleased.
    and my god, would I love to be in copenhagen right now?!?! the setlist is insane!!!
  • Options
    karola wrote:
    oh, so saying that there's something I'd like PJ to change makes me a person who needs to get a life? give me a break.
    I believe they're a great band, I love their interaction with the audience and I'm entitled to my own opinion about certain songs and have every right to speak my mind.
    I have written already that the 2007 setlists are great so don't give me that shit here that some people can't be pleased.
    and my god, would I love to be in copenhagen right now?!?! the setlist is insane!!!

I understand what you're saying-but I won't say anymore
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Then you should check out Wembley set list.
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    Then you should check out Wembley set list.

I don't agree that Pearl Jam are becoming boring, live! (Not that I would bloody know, i haven't been to a show for a long time). Doh!
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    I don't agree that Pearl Jam are becoming boring, live! (Not that I would bloody know, i haven't been to a show for a long time). Doh!

It's not me you have to tell it to. When i said to that guy to check out Wembley set list, i meant it in a good way, i.e i also don't think they are boring.