Options

The End for Pearl JAm

13»

Comments

• Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    luxpjamer wrote:
    The first poster is right pearl jam is boring live, they always play their songs and they sound similiar, maybe the should change the hole stuff, boom singing, eddie doing the bass, jeff playing the drums, stone the piano, matt just wristling and mike mccready plays steeldrums.
    They should do some depeche mode covers and be more glam, maybe they should do some rap parts why not a duett with paris hilton ?
    Or they rerecord their records with Timbaland, they should be more inspired by Kraftwerk.

They also should do more dancing, they should take exemple from n'sinc and michael jackson. They could do some ballett...

and why are their songs soo diffiult too listen to? What's this cryptic lyrics ? Why not make more light songs, more chalala and tralala, more rhymes with you and me and love and sugar...

To be honest they should make an american Idol show, the young peoples should listen too what their parents were listening. I mean everybody knows the Stones, the beatles but what about pearl jam???

maybe they could also do a show for 17,000 deaf people... and while their at it, do and acoustic set of all Peter, Paul, and Mary songs!
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    Ah, Mohab, you've caught some big bites here - if you were taking the piss. Sadly, I don't think you are though. Love the the previous 2 replies. Nevermind, love and peace to all of you.

Old saying - IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT.

Pearl Jam are NOT broken.

Remember folks, they're only opinions. Like ar**holes, we've all got one!! For what it's worth - I never thought I'd see or rate another band the same as my beloved Beatles. I did and I have.
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Mohab wrote:
    Is it the end of Pearl jams progression as a live band? They seem unable to move beyond their current reportiore (sp?) of live shit and are stuck in the obvious rut of better,man YL and a few who covers to close every show. Wheres the passion in that? They have been at times the best live band out there, I care enough to mention it, but i could come up with a thousand musical variations they could come up with to perform, and it would be a great show, only obviously they are caught playing to a sort of mainstream of thie rfollowing. How much can the band take, esp. if they no longer need the flow. They play the same stuff yar in year out, they all have it licked.
    their newsest record is fucking wicked, I dont think theyve lost it at all, I just think they are getting complacent, cause the set lists I read look like the same ones I was readin in 2000, 2003 and 2005. Ill see em any chance I get, but i have a bad feeling the last show I see of them is gonna be a bab YL love in and I think they can doi so much better. They play some cool stuff, but need a major shakeup and cut to pride/return to exciting form by playing smaller shows casue obvioously theyed lose the fanbase who comes to hear half of ten every summer.
    you're not alone the entire east coast got slighted in 06 with god awful setlists.

bring the days of 2000 and 03
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    Eva7Eva7 Posts: 226
    Big Man wrote:
    I am with you. And to all you haters out there, whats wrong with you? Mohab suggested a way to make concerts better and praised the band as tight players and the new album, and all some people can do is shit on the thread, you gyus make me sick. What a lame bunch of replies these were indeed. I love pearl jam and ill see them tomorow and I hope for Sleight of hand and cant keep, ok? Thank you

it is quite obvious that they made a change in strategy with the last record and its promotion, they want to become more mainnstream again cuz recordsales decreased. that is a development that for hardcore fans like us who stayed faithfull during binaural and riot act ... this development is not cool for some of us. I dont like to hear 'alive', but this is were they are going. And its ok for Mohab to critize it.

I totally agree, and I am glad that not all fans are blind. you're absolutely right about the change of strategy, and I am pretty disappointed by this and other things. Of course they are still one of the greatest bands in the world and I am still in love with them, but this doesn't mean that everything's all right... Personally, last Pearl Jam album was a big disappointment to me and I am quite worried that the band is getting into a blind lane... look at what happened to Chris Cornell!!! His last album is a shame, to me he's basically over... and the point to me is, is it fair that artists like him or pearl jam reach such a big "selfesteem" as to think that whatever they do is just great? I mean, is it "artistically" acceptable? is it honest? is it a good excuse to sell out and lose your artistic path? to me it isn't.
  • Options
    ZimzuMZimzuM Posts: 209
    dream theater change theirs more lol
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    sisyphesisyphe Posts: 40
    Eva7 wrote:
    I totally agree, and I am glad that not all fans are blind. you're absolutely right about the change of strategy, and I am pretty disappointed by this and other things. Of course they are still one of the greatest bands in the world and I am still in love with them, but this doesn't mean that everything's all right... Personally, last Pearl Jam album was a big disappointment to me and I am quite worried that the band is getting into a blind lane... look at what happened to Chris Cornell!!! His last album is a shame, to me he's basically over... and the point to me is, is it fair that artists like him or pearl jam reach such a big "selfesteem" as to think that whatever they do is just great? I mean, is it "artistically" acceptable? is it honest? is it a good excuse to sell out and lose your artistic path? to me it isn't.

So the band promote their music? They even made a video, the b*stards. Doesn't necessarily mean they sold out. The video for Life Wasted can, methinks, be seen as a) art and b) a way to bring the band's message to a wider audience. No shame in either.

Also the band's last album is, in my opinion, their most mature (for obvious reasons) and artistically most developed. The lyrics are poetic, the criticism visible and deciphered at the same time. It's no crime for the band to say they like it.

Whether the band sold out by promoting their album is a matter of opinion. I don't think so, and neither does a majority of people who I've talked to about it.
    I'm questioning my education
    Rewind and what does it show?
    Could be, the truth it becomes you
    I'm a seed, wondering why it grows

Stockholm '00
    Paris '06
    London '07
  • Options
    Eva7Eva7 Posts: 226
    sisyphe wrote:
    So the band promote their music? They even made a video, the b*stards. Doesn't necessarily mean they sold out. The video for Life Wasted can, methinks, be seen as a) art and b) a way to bring the band's message to a wider audience. No shame in either.

Also the band's last album is, in my opinion, their most mature (for obvious reasons) and artistically most developed. The lyrics are poetic, the criticism visible and deciphered at the same time. It's no crime for the band to say they like it.

Whether the band sold out by promoting their album is a matter of opinion. I don't think so, and neither does a majority of people who I've talked to about it.

ok, maybe I am just a too old nostalgic fan.... but by "sell-out" I wasn't referring to PJ, but to Chris Cornell. I don't think they're sell-outs, but I am afraid that if they keep on this way, they may get to that. About the album, I am not saying the album "sucks", I can't say that the songs and lyrics are ugly in any way, I just think they repeated themselves, I can't see they have developed artistically, but on the contrary I had the feeling they were to a point to say "ok, we're pearl jam, now we can afford to make a song that sounds like U2 and another one that sounds like the beatles". This is the feeling I had, and I am not saying it in any malicious way, for me it was a real shock and disappointment. Obviously, I don't demand anyone to feel the same........
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 836
    My favourite band used to be U2 -- I've seen them 15 times since 1985.

I have loved PJ since 1992 but for some rather depressing reason I never went to see them until last year ---- bought every album on the day of release etc etc.

I would say Pearl Jam are the greatest live band I haveseen simply because you never know what you're going to get....

I do agree that they often finish with YLB but that's about it. Pearl Jam hardly stop touring...

U2 and other bands can take four years between tours --- and then their sets are the same (in song content) night after night after night.

For what it's worth, I find Pearl Jam so exciting and so fresh because they have stayed the same but with lots of wonderful songs....of which they never really "drop" any.
  • Options
    The Oracle wrote:
    Ah, Mohab, you've caught some big bites here - if you were taking the piss. Sadly, I don't think you are though. Love the the previous 2 replies. Nevermind, love and peace to all of you.

Old saying - IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT.

Pearl Jam are NOT broken.

Remember folks, they're only opinions. Like ar**holes, we've all got one!! For what it's worth - I never thought I'd see or rate another band the same as my beloved Beatles. I did and I have.

Wow! That gives me the horn to think you love Pearl Jam more than The Beatles! Well, not literally but it is cool!
  • Options
    bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149
    Mohab wrote:
    Is it the end of Pearl jams progression as a live band? They seem unable to move beyond their current reportiore (sp?) of live shit and are stuck in the obvious rut of better,man YL and a few who covers to close every show. Wheres the passion in that? They have been at times the best live band out there, I care enough to mention it, but i could come up with a thousand musical variations they could come up with to perform, and it would be a great show, only obviously they are caught playing to a sort of mainstream of thie rfollowing. How much can the band take, esp. if they no longer need the flow. They play the same stuff yar in year out, they all have it licked.
    their newsest record is fucking wicked, I dont think theyve lost it at all, I just think they are getting complacent, cause the set lists I read look like the same ones I was readin in 2000, 2003 and 2005. Ill see em any chance I get, but i have a bad feeling the last show I see of them is gonna be a bab YL love in and I think they can doi so much better. They play some cool stuff, but need a major shakeup and cut to pride/return to exciting form by playing smaller shows casue obvioously theyed lose the fanbase who comes to hear half of ten every summer.

u sir or mam........are sadly an idiot........nuff said......go be a fan of the yeah yeah yeah's or something......my fav thing about PJ is that they dont care if u dont like em.....
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Mohab wrote:
    What a lame bunch of replies. My life is awesome, I love the band too, the two arnt related. i was referring directly to the musicality of the band live. They are good, tight players but they do not stretch out anymore, they are on a track tht will leave them soundng liek the who nowadays - a nostalgia act. Their albums are still awesome, but sadly they seem caught trying to please the casual more mianstream fans, and and sound as if they have it licked and are more into doing thier job than expanding as musicians.
    check out the london,copenhagen and dusseldorf sets NUFF said.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Jer1Jer1 Posts: 12
    over_bends wrote:
    Thank God you don't do the set lists because if you did, only 200 people would show up a night. Thankfully, Ed and the gang realizes that if you played 25 rarities every night, then only the die hards would care to see them. I love the Fatal's as much as the next guy, but I'd say 90% of the crowd is waiting to hear Betterman, Jeremy, Last Kiss, and Alive. Pearl Jam plays more rarities than any band I listen to and mixes up each show like no other. I love how they can balance between a rarities show and still give the casual what he or she wants, but lamentably there will always be people here that lack any sort of practicality at all.

Quoted for truth
  • Options
    Jer1Jer1 Posts: 12
    My favourite band used to be U2 -- I've seen them 15 times since 1985.

I have loved PJ since 1992 but for some rather depressing reason I never went to see them until last year ---- bought every album on the day of release etc etc.

I would say Pearl Jam are the greatest live band I haveseen simply because you never know what you're going to get....

I do agree that they often finish with YLB but that's about it. Pearl Jam hardly stop touring...

U2 and other bands can take four years between tours --- and then their sets are the same (in song content) night after night after night.

For what it's worth, I find Pearl Jam so exciting and so fresh because they have stayed the same but with lots of wonderful songs....of which they never really "drop" any.

Exactly...U2 are great live, but you know what you're getting going in. The same is true with 90% of the other major acts out there. Not Pearl Jam. It's one thing I never thought I would see them criticized for. Maybe in 10 years, but not now.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't care what they play as long as I'm seeing the band live?? I've been to 11 shows...best show I ever saw was Ottawa 05 and if you check the set, it is the perfect balance between greatest hits and obscurities. I don't judge a show on a setlist, it really is the summation of the experience: set, performance, crowd, and my own personal mood.

I've never been disappointed. I'm just a Pearl Jam fan who goes into each show with an open mind preferring not to hear Evacuation, Insignificance, and Leatherman :-)
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Am I the only one who doesn't care what they play as long as I'm seeing the band live?? I've been to 11 shows...best show I ever saw was Ottawa 05 and if you check the set, it is the perfect balance between greatest hits and obscurities. I don't judge a show on a setlist, it really is the summation of the experience: set, performance, crowd, and my own personal mood.

I've never been disappointed. I'm just a Pearl Jam fan who goes into each show with an open mind preferring not to hear Evacuation, Insignificance, and Leatherman :-)
    Ive been to Ottawa aswell, and I thought that was the best show ive seen. but it was only my 3rd back then. Now, after 13 shows, I can only say that each show is special in its own way. its not only the setlist, the crowd, the band, but how you see it, your perception, and how you feel that day...hope it makes sense. of course its all the things listed, but i think each person is their own judge, if I can put it like that ;)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    RijekaRijeka Posts: 801
    Am I the only one who doesn't care what they play as long as I'm seeing the band live??....

No u' re not...I just don't think about the setlist before show(s). Normally, i also have some favorites, but if they don't play some of them i won't be dissapointed or somethin' like that. I'm just happy that i saw them. And if they play some of mine favs, it's like a lottery jackpot to me. And seeing most other bands setlists, makes me much more happier because every PJ show is unique one, no doubt about that...
    Death or glory!

• Options
    Big ManBig Man Posts: 97
    Maybe if you would get what I got you'd feel different about that: They played the same songs in the 2 only gigs in Holland. plus, the setlist was pretty lame anyway... Is this necessary?

Nimwegen:
    Set 1 Release, Go, Hail Hail, World Wide Suicide, Whipping, Do The Evolution, Given To Fly, Not For You, Wishlist, Even Flow, Insignificance, Unemployable, Jeremy, Nothingman, Better Man/Save it for Later, Corduroy, Why Go

Encore 1 Comatose, Daughter/Another Brick In The Wall/War, Leash, Rearviewmirror

Encore 2 No More, Blood, Alive, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

Arnhem:
    Set 1 Release, Why Go, Save You, Corduroy, Severed Hand, Better Man, World Wide Suicide, Insignificance, Jeremy, Do The Evolution, Given To Fly, Even Flow, I Got Id, Lukin, Spin The Black Circle, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1 Man Of The Hour, Daughter(Blitzkrieg Bop), State Of Love And Trust, Comatose, Porch

Encore 2 Bu$hleaguer, Leash, Alive, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter
  • Options
    what have i been missing,did the last six pages answer your question mohab ?long live pearl jam.
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,982
    I like me just they way I am. I like Pearl Jam the way they are.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,805
    Some very wierd comments on here, odd things being said about probably the best live rock band in the world.
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Big Man... you fucking got Leash, No More and Blood. That's pretty awesome. You got a NEW FUCKING SONG that hasn't even been recorded yet! Jeez

And then...

I Got Id, Comatose, Bu$hleaguer, Leash

Those four songs don't seem to be played much. And I see a lot of difference in those setlists. Maybe you did not like them, but most bands don't vary their setlists even THAT much. So bitch all you want but don't expect many people to listen.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    Is this thread still alive? I thought the shit sank to the bottom in this forum..
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I doubt I could ever get enough of YL, but Last Kiss needs to make far fewer appearances.
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 282
    I agree 100% and I kind of agree with the original poster.There are some sad people on this forum that won't even consider debating a minor criticism of the band and try to ridicule people for even cotemplating criticism.

Newsflash#Eddie Vedder shits just like the rest of us.A reputable source told me.So does the Queen of England.
    Debate is good people!

Imagine if the band came out and played an acoustic version of evenflow like in the unplugged show instead of the same old version...

I think the original poster was asking for a bit more imagination in some of their older songs.The band have shown it to a small extent with the slowed down Porch and heavier Present Tense which are awesome.

You are absolutely right!
    Some people here can't handle an open discussion about the band/music. Everyone is free to have their own opinion, and I do not have to agree with everything PJ are doing.
  • Options
    BostonPJBostonPJ Posts: 5
    I am going to have to agree with the original poster on this thread. I have been to 63 PJ shows and since 05 I have been very disappointed with the setlists. The overall performance has a lot of energy but the actual setlists seem very stale and weak. I'm kind of tired of the sing-a-long songs, I have the bootlegs for that. Between 98-04 I thought this band was unstoppable live and now I hope they are just going through a phase. To the person that said they are the only ones that change it up live, you are wrong. There are many bands that work hard at their live show and change it up every night. I am confident that by the time their next album rolls around they will be back on track with their live show.
  • Options
    London_JamLondon_Jam Posts: 173
    Worst post I think ive ever fucken read. read the setlists for Wembley and Dusseldorf.

Dick.
  • Options
    kramerica4 wrote:
    You are absolutely right!
    Some people here can't handle an open discussion about the band/music. Everyone is free to have their own opinion, and I do not have to agree with everything PJ are doing.

You're right, you don't have to agree with everything. But this is not government, the guys were not elected to play for the fans. If you don't like what they're doing, stop listening, don't buy the albums. "Open discussion" between fans will get you nowhere...

To all the true, critical fans:
    Have you ever considered that maybe it's you that has changed, not the band?

Stockholm '00
    Paris '06
    London '07
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 282
    sisyphe wrote:
    You're right, you don't have to agree with everything. But this is not government, the guys were not elected to play for the fans. If you don't like what they're doing, stop listening, don't buy the albums. "Open discussion" between fans will get you nowhere...

To all the true, critical fans:
    Have you ever considered that maybe it's you that has changed, not the band?

There is not only black or white my friend, you can still be a great fan of the band AND don't like everything they do. Being critical is one thing the Pearl Jam philosophy is about for me, and this should not exclude the band itself.
    Of course I have changed over the last years, life is a constant change. So did the band, you don't want to tell me they didn't change, do you?
    It makes me sad (and sick) that as soon as something negativ is discussed here there are always some people who are not open minded enough to tolerate this.
  • Options
    kramerica4 wrote:
    There is not only black or white my friend, you can still be a great fan of the band AND don't like everything they do. Being critical is one thing the Pearl Jam philosophy is about for me, and this should not exclude the band itself.
    Of course I have changed over the last years, life is a constant change. So did the band, you don't want to tell me they didn't change, do you?
    It makes me sad (and sick) that as soon as something negativ is discussed here there are always some people who are not open minded enough to tolerate this.

I agree, the band has changed. The only thing is, they've probably (and hopefully) changed to their own liking, which separates them from commodities that are changed to the consumer's liking. It's ok by me if someone criticizes the band, their prerogative. But by doing so you make it sound like the band should change to accommodate your wishes and stop being what they really are about.

Edit: And no, I don't like everything they do. When I stop liking anything they do, I'll start listening to something else.

Stockholm '00
    Paris '06
    London '07