Options

Breaking Bad

13»

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    ZoSoTim said:
    Breaking Bad is the greatest show ever with Better Call Saul as close as you can get. But we doo need a Badger & Skinny Pete spinoff next. :) 
    Better Call Saul got a little silly after awhile.  I was glad to finish the last season.  
    It got better and better and better as far as I'm concerned. That will go down as one of the more underrated shows of all time. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    ZoSoTim said:
    Breaking Bad is the greatest show ever with Better Call Saul as close as you can get. But we doo need a Badger & Skinny Pete spinoff next. :) 
    Better Call Saul got a little silly after awhile.  I was glad to finish the last season.  
    It got better and better and better as far as I'm concerned. That will go down as one of the more underrated shows of all time. 
    Yeah, it was a tad slow for a while at points, but it did get better every season.  Such an amazing show!
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    BSC and BB suffered from something I see more common now with bigger shows. Too long of breaks between seasons. It seemed like 1.5 years between some of the seasons. Just like how House of Dragon, Last of US, Lord of The Rings are taking forever to get season 2 going. What happened to just sticking with a season a year?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    I was fast forwarding through scenes after a while and playing on 1.5 speed.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,984
    mace1229 said:
    BSC and BB suffered from something I see more common now with bigger shows. Too long of breaks between seasons. It seemed like 1.5 years between some of the seasons. Just like how House of Dragon, Last of US, Lord of The Rings are taking forever to get season 2 going. What happened to just sticking with a season a year?
    yeah...it's a money thing I assume. 

I escaped that problem with BB because I didn't start watching it until the final season was airing. I really felt it with BCS. I had to go rewatch everything so I could remember what was going on. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I escaped that problem with BB because I didn't start watching it until the final season was airing. I really felt it with BCS. I had to go rewatch everything so I could remember what was going on. 
    I don't know how they'd make more money off doing that? Seems like some would lose interest. Unless all the re-watchers  make up for that. I know I've done that, and probably will have to by the time House of Dragon finally comes back out. But I was barely interested in LOTR, I would have watched season 2, but not willing to rewatch season 1, so I'll probably just not watch it anymore.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don't know how they'd make more money off doing that? Seems like some would lose interest. Unless all the re-watchers  make up for that. I know I've done that, and probably will have to by the time House of Dragon finally comes back out. But I was barely interested in LOTR, I would have watched season 2, but not willing to rewatch season 1, so I'll probably just not watch it anymore.
    I was thinking it might be a case where they don't want to put the funds out to make a new season if people aren't interested in the current season. Just my theory. It also might be that the creators just didn't have things ready yet.

They also might think that drawing it out allows them to replay episodes and rake in the ad revenue on stuff they have already paid for.

I'm not sure what is worse. Having all episodes released at once and you watch them all in a few days and want more or have them stretched out like HBO does. But it does suck.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I was thinking it might be a case where they don't want to put the funds out to make a new season if people aren't interested in the current season. Just my theory. It also might be that the creators just didn't have things ready yet.

They also might think that drawing it out allows them to replay episodes and rake in the ad revenue on stuff they have already paid for.

I'm not sure what is worse. Having all episodes released at once and you watch them all in a few days and want more or have them stretched out like HBO does. But it does suck.
    I've always assumed shows like GOT was because each episode of the last few seasons like like the production of a movie, so it just took longer. 
    But I don't see how that applies to BB or BCS, they know the story line, they knew it was green lit well in advance. So what's with the delay? Same with Stranger Things? Which such a long break between seasons? The kids will be like 36 playing a 15 year old by the time they're done. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I was just looking up BCS on wikipedia.

It says the first and second seasons were known up front...with the series premiere in Feb 2015.

It was until March 15, 2016 that the series was renewed for a third season. That premiered on 4/10/17.

The third season ended on 6/27/17...then AMC renewed it for a fourth season on 4/6/18 and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul

• Options
    The dropoff in viewers is kind of surprising...but I think that's why there are such delays. They want to be sure enough people are watching for ad revenue.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    edited August 2023
    I thought the BCS delays were due to Covid and Odenkirk health issues.

BB I don't recall season delays, but I think it is more common these days as opposed to traditional TV which just hammered out 20 - 25 episodes per year and had their schedule figured out. Now, lots of these shows are not given full commitment or the actors are working a few other side projects since seasons are shorter and they can committ to multiple endeavors.

I was never bored with either show or its pacing. I can understand while several were if you're not in to the character development arcs and lingering shots. As a The Wire fanatic, I feel like it's something you appreciate because everything isn't spelled out.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    The dropoff in viewers is kind of surprising...but I think that's why there are such delays. They want to be sure enough people are watching for ad revenue.
    I also wonder how much of a factor (if at all) it is that between 2015 and 2022, pretty much everyone under the age of 75 has gone to streaming
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    I think part of the reason for the delays, also, is it allows the actors time to do other projects/movies. 

That decline in viewership is surprising and disappointing. I do think streaming definitely plays a role but, man, didn't expect that kind of drop off. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I also wonder how much of a factor (if at all) it is that between 2015 and 2022, pretty much everyone under the age of 75 has gone to streaming
    you're probably correct....I know we watched BCS on Netflix. I would record the new episodes off DirecTV and hang onto them until we caught up.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited August 2023
    I think the slow parts are amplified when you can binge watch. At least for me.  There were plenty of sections where I got bored, but not sure that would be the case if I watched one episode a week.  I don't think I'd love those storylines, but maybe it wouldn't be as dull.  You can binge something too long and make it boring.  
    I can't even agree that there are any "slow parts", and I've binged it at least twice. I have zero criticisms about BB - I think it is perfect just the way it is!

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata