Options

Breaking Bad

dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
edited March 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
I've always tried to get into Breaking Bad since it's filmed in the city where I live. In my opinion, it's kind of overrated. There are so many episodes where nothing happens and it's just overall a slow show. Glad it's given the Duke City some attention though.
Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
Denver 10-22-14
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    Everyone's entitled to their own wrong opinion ;):lol:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Everyone's entitled to their own wrong opinion ;):lol:
    Yup. :lol:
    Great show.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    I don't watch television so I haven't seen this show but since it's being discussed here on AMT I'd like to take a stab at guessing what it's about and you can all tell me if I'm close:

It's a show about misguided and/or abused youth who struggle with the nature of their sexuality and the concept of is there or is there not a god and how these two issue relate to each other. This internal struggle leads some youth to random acts of violence involving fire arms. In some episodes, the parents of these youth struggle with ways in which to respond to their children but are stymied by concerns of lost wages due to corporate hierarchical employers who maintain astronomical incomes. The parents also blame their children's erratic behavior on climate change and adverse responses to flue shots and seek advice from the gay couple who are their neighbors. This couple introduces the parents to what is for them a new kind of video experience that eases their tensions. As new characters are introduced, previous characters are eliminated through random acts of violence involving fire arms. An occasional foreign character is introduced briefly until they are either put in jail or die of malaria as a result of migrating mosquitoes in the wake of global warming. Some episodes involve Canadians and Indian who insist they are rightful heirs to North America until they are eliminated by random acts of violence involving fire arms. The final episode of the last season of this show will involve Australians bringing to America a new form of rock and roll and organic Vegemite. In the final scene, all characters will be eliminated by nuclear holocaust, a joint effort perpetrated by North Korea and Iraq.

Am I close?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    brianlux wrote:
    I don't watch television so I haven't seen this show but since it's being discussed here on AMT I'd like to take a stab at guessing what it's about and you can all tell me if I'm close:

It's a show about misguided and/or abused youth who struggle with the nature of their sexuality and the concept of is there or is there not a god and how these two issue relate to each other. This internal struggle leads some youth to random acts of violence involving fire arms. In some episodes, the parents of these youth struggle with ways in which to respond to their children but are stymied by concerns of lost wages due to corporate hierarchical employers who maintain astronomical incomes. The parents also blame their children's erratic behavior on climate change and adverse responses to flue shots and seek advice from the gay couple who are their neighbors. This couple introduces the parents to what is for them a new kind of video experience that eases their tensions. As new characters are introduced, previous characters are eliminated through random acts of violence involving fire arms. An occasional foreign character is introduced briefly until they are either put in jail or die of malaria as a result of migrating mosquitoes in the wake of global warming. Some episodes involve Canadians and Indian who insist they are rightful heirs to North America until they are eliminated by random acts of violence involving fire arms. The final episode of the last season of this show will involve Australians bringing to America a new form of rock and roll and organic Vegemite. In the final scene, all characters will be eliminated by nuclear holocaust, a joint effort perpetrated by North Korea and Iraq.

Am I close?

Wow...you're dead on. :lol:
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I don't watch much TV either, but that is one show that sets the bar very very high and I watch it faithfully. Hell I think even Ed probably watches it, since he changed Lukin to Walter, when he did his show in New Mexico :lol: . Yes, there are episodes that seem pointless, and not much happens, but then some nugget will be brought up later and you'll see the significance of it. The writing is brilliant, the story is impeccable and the actors doing an amazing job bringing the characters to life. The first 2 seasons are ok/good but what happens later as everything goes out of control will blow you away. There's a reason why it's so popular.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I watched the first couple episodes and got into them, but there are just too many to catch up on.

Maybe one of these days.

An aside - and maybe AMT-ish, but I find it a huge shame that the tax structure out here forced the production to film in NM. We could've used that income, dammit.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,983
    I never watched an episode until about a month ago. I caught episode #4 of season 2.

After hearing a lot of hype I decided to use a free month of Netflix to catch up on it so I could watch the finale in real time. I actually just got done watching the last three episodes leading up to the final.

Clearly this is the greatest TV drama ever. Better than the Sopranos which I loved.

The writing is amazing...and their style of giving you a little flash forward to a future episode within the current episode constantly has you trying to figure out how the story being told in front of you catches up to the scene that you have been given a quick glimpse of.

If you like the Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Homeland, etc. I would highly encourage you to avoid finding out what happens in tonight's final episode and watch this series from the beginning.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,983
    Another thing....since this is the first time I've ever watched an entire 5 years worth of TV in a month....I love it.

Not having to wait for six months to see another season cliffhanger kicks ass!!

:lol::lol:
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Correct forum.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    Correct forum.

Have never seen the show. How does it fit with: "Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new"?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,310
    So I'm halfway through season 6. Walt tells Todd he's going to need his uncles help -again-. Again??! What? It is at this moment when I realized on demand, for some ungodly reason, doesn't have the season 5 finale available!

What the fuck? How is this possible??? So frustrating
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Juggler - sorry if I'm mistaken but to leech off of Bill Hicks, that post up there tells me you may be pretty fucking high.

(if not, I'll say I'm halfaway there, from here!)

Really need to catch more of this. Currently watching a kickass Sops at the moment though.

*edited to mention this Cranston SOB has done quite well for himself, between BB, Malcolm, and the anti-Dentite stint.

god I love him.

*edited again - it's the Sops where Ralph is taken down. In the tub and toupe OFF.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Juggler - sorry if I'm mistaken but to leech off of Bill Hicks, that post up there tells me you may be pretty fucking high.

Really need to catch more of this. Currently watching a kickass Sops at the moment though.

*edited to mention this Cranston SOB has done quite well for himself, between BB, Malcolm, and the anti-Dentite stint.

god I love him.

*edited again - it's the Sops where Ralph is taken down. In the tub and toupe OFF.

what?

no i have fios. and for some reason they only have the first 7 episodes of season 5. so i assumed that season ended, rather abruptly, at episode number 7. but a few episodes into the final season they reference something that happened that i had no recollection of so i looked it up, and sure enough there's an eighth episode of season 5!

for some reason this one episode is not available for fios on demand. i'm pretty pissed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'd rather watch Dexter.
  • Options
    lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    Shawshank said:

I don't watch much TV either, but that is one show that sets the bar very very high and I watch it faithfully. Hell I think even Ed probably watches it, since he changed Lukin to Walter, when he did his show in New Mexico :lol: . Yes, there are episodes that seem pointless, and not much happens, but then some nugget will be brought up later and you'll see the significance of it. The writing is brilliant, the story is impeccable and the actors doing an amazing job bringing the characters to life. The first 2 seasons are ok/good but what happens later as everything goes out of control will blow you away. There's a reason why it's so popular.

I agree- I do not watch much TV- but my daughter bought me the first 4 seasons for Christmas and I am addicted- I am at the beginning of the 4th season. Great writing and acting.

• Options

hedonist said:

god I love him.

what?

no i have fios. and for some reason they only have the first 7 episodes of season 5. so i assumed that season ended, rather abruptly, at episode number 7. but a few episodes into the final season they reference something that happened that i had no recollection of so i looked it up, and sure enough there's an eighth episode of season 5!

for some reason this one episode is not available for fios on demand. i'm pretty pissed.
    Hrrmph. That's what I get for posting while buzzed.

Yeah, I had the same issue with Netflix. They told me it was related to copyright issues; maybe the same on your end?

backseat - LOVE Dexter! I missed most of the last season but did catch the series finale. Good stuff.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Best show ever IMO. Im in season 3. I watch it slow and cherish each episode. Sometimes watch them twice.

I dont like binge-watching shows because it makes the whole thing a blur.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Best show ever IMO. Im in season 3. I watch it slow and cherish each episode. Sometimes watch them twice.

I dont like binge-watching shows because it makes the whole thing a blur.

totally makes it a blur...it's like crack. i wish i could slow down, but i'm about finished, 6 weeks after starting.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I'd rather watch Dexter.

this blows dexter away...and i was a big dexter fan. i now know what people were talking about last summer, comparing the way both shows went out. dexter did it completely wrong, this show could not have done it any better.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Yeah, I have been watching it over about a year and am less than half-way.

I may even re-watch the 1st 3 seasons before I move on, but that would be more "binge-style".

The only drawback is I am sick of being so weary on avoiding spoilers. Literally I tense up and have to turn into a dick whenever I am somewhere and the show comes up. I have stayed completely spoiler free so far.

I do think its the best ever. The only thing that comes close IMO is Oz.
  • Options

I'd rather watch Dexter.

this blows dexter away...and i was a big dexter fan. i now know what people were talking about last summer, comparing the way both shows went out. dexter did it completely wrong, this show could not have done it any better.
    I've heard that the ending is pretty bad, we're starting Season 7. Finished Season 2 of BB several months ago. Haven't had the craving to go back to it.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited February 2014
    I've seen a few episodes of Breaking Bad, did not really interest me much.
    -

Jericho, that was a show!

---

Post edited by Idris on
  • Options

I'd rather watch Dexter.

I've heard that the ending is pretty bad, we're starting Season 7. Finished Season 2 of BB several months ago. Haven't had the craving to go back to it.

you will regret not sticking with bb....and dexter will ultimately disappoint you. bb gets better and better. dexter peaks in 4 and coasts to the finish in cruise control.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm sure you're right, Juggler, I've heard people same the same (about Dexter). I'm just in the Dexter mood right now. ...Awaiting for the urge to see more BB come back. It will eventually, I'm sure.

Idris, tell me more about Jericho?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    How the US will fair after Nuclear Fallout, Revolution, terrorism, governments, war...All that good stuff.
    --

Had a cult following, only lasted 2 seasons, was brought back for a second after this,,

Jericho to return after fans say 'Nuts' to cancellation

CBS has announced Jerichois back on its fall schedule after a deluge of messages from fans objecting to its cancellation.

The networkhas receivedthousands of calls, messages and shipments of peanuts from fans since cancelling the drama about a Kansas town isolated after a nuclear attack.

cbc.ca/news/arts/jericho-to-return-after-fans-say-nuts-to-cancellation-1.678089

Apocalypse now? TV Guide Magazine confirms that Netflix has approached CBS about reviving cult fave Jericho — and the network, through its CBS TV Studios production arm, is considering it. The drama, which followed the residents of a small Kansas town in the wake of a nuclear attack, has been off the air since 2008.

tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Netflix-Jericho-1046804.aspx

(But I hear talks with Netflix have currently failed)

Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    and of course Battlestar Galactica was pretty sweet, (I enjoy social/political type shows)

• Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    I think it's a little over the top.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Breaking Bad was entertaining, and pretty addictive, but I don't think it's something I'll feel the need to watch again, unlike the Sopranos, which is a definite keeper.
  • Options
    Byrnzie said:

Breaking Bad was entertaining, and pretty addictive, but I don't think it's something I'll feel the need to watch again, unlike the Sopranos, which is a definite keeper.

Hell yeah to the re-watching of the Sopranos. HBO's been re-running it, and damned if I haven't been catching nearly every one again for the nth time.

I feel the same about Six Feet Under too.

• Options
    I hear 'Game of Thrones' is pretty brilliant, well I keep on getting friends telling me to check it out.