2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Bobrovsky looks unstoppable. I think he’s allowed one goal so for in the conference finals?
    3 goals.. Game 1 was 3-2.  Still, this is the guy they thought they paid for a few years ago.  He's also the guy that stymied Tampa in 2019 round 1 in Columbus.  

Let's see some pride from the Hurricanes though. These conference finals have sucked.  In fact, the second round wasn't all that great either.  Round 1 was epic.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:
    Now, Benn is saying he just “fell” on Stone. Riiiiight.
    That's a complete crock of shit.
    League office agrees :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    mrussel1 said:
    Bobrovsky looks unstoppable. I think he’s allowed one goal so for in the conference finals?
    3 goals.. Game 1 was 3-2.  Still, this is the guy they thought they paid for a few years ago.  He's also the guy that stymied Tampa in 2019 round 1 in Columbus.  

Let's see some pride from the Hurricanes though. These conference finals have sucked.  In fact, the second round wasn't all that great either.  Round 1 was epic.  
    Thought I heard one goal but still pretty damn impressive!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I never liked burns….lately, I’ve thought he was OK….after the stick to Tkachuk’s nuts, I think Burns is an asshole again.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,014
    Wowza

Has there been a hotter player in this many playoff moments? 

Florida impressive 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    mrussel1 said:

And to think he was riding the pine at the start of the playoffs,
    They played Lyon first 3 games against Bruins.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    I think that late trip was crap.  Let it go. 
    MayDay10 said:
    Quebec City isnt going to get them.  

It'll probably be Houston, with a Dark Horse of Salt Lake City.
    salt lake used to have the golden eagles…whl, chl and ihl…best bobbing head ever…black eye, band aid on nose.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    SLC did host the Winter Olympics (bribery notwithstanding) so a hockey team there seems reasonable enough.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

And to think he was riding the pine at the start of the playoffs,
    They played Lyon first 3 games against Bruins.
    He was riding the pine pretty much the entire regular season 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    SLC did host the Winter Olympics (bribery notwithstanding) so a hockey team there seems reasonable enough.
    Near beer = unreasonable
    It takes @Wobbie 29 beers to catch a buzz.
    (In fairness 24 normal beers do the trick)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Didn't see the end of the Panthers/Canes game but saw the highlights. Wow! Tkachuk scoring with only a few seconds left to send Florida to the finals. That might be the loudest i've ever heard a Florida panthers crowd. Congrats!

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I think the Bruins will  end up being Florida's real cup final

they Are on some roll

vegas is good… but I don’t see more than 6 game Florida win 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    good for paul maurice. this looks really, really bad for the Jets front office and/or the locker room. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    CROJAM95 said:

they Are on some roll

I think you're right. I thought Boston was going to run away with it but FL seems to be steamrolling
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    CROJAM95 said:

they Are on some roll

I think you're right. I thought Boston was going to run away with it but FL seems to be steamrolling
    It’s crazy

i believe they got in last day of the season

where there were 2 spots, 3 teams…. Florida, Islanders & Penguins

bruins got fucked
    this isn’t a normal 8 seed

Boston also gotta be a lil sick that Cassidy is within reach of a cup 😦….. ooops
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited May 2023
    good for paul maurice. this looks really, really bad for the Jets front office and/or the locker room. 
    Well, he does hold the record for biggest loser, I believe. 
    Also, he lead the Canes to the SCF one year so their fans may have mixed feelings on his being Florida's coach as well.
    How about the Flames and the trade that landed the Panthers two players on the first line. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited May 2023
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

they Are on some roll

It’s crazy

bruins got fucked

Boston also gotta be a lil sick that Cassidy is within reach of a cup 😦….. ooops

It basically came down to a game in April where the Panthers beat Buffalo 2-1.  If that game goes the other way, none of this happens (and we are waiting to see who we expect Boston to steamroll in the SCF)
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

they Are on some roll

It’s crazy

bruins got fucked

The NHL does the worst job amongst the major sports leagues in developing a regular season that identifies the best teams. From backwards reg season OT and SO rules that work in the exact opposite of how they work in playoffs as well as how games are officiated.

Bruins were 11-0-5 in OT in the regular season. 

During the regular season, the 2022-23 Florida Panthers went 6-8 in overtime games. In the playoffs, the 2022-23 Florida Panthers went 6-0 in overtime games.

The canes won three key OT games in the first two rounds. None, obvi, in the third.

there is good reason why massive upsets happen more in the NHL and the league seems to not care
    Why should they mind massive upsets?
    Exciting...and it allows all teams to have hope.  You can lift the cup as an eight seed.
    Koepka s liver must be shot
    all these nba/nhl playoff games & celebration last Sunday 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited May 2023
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

they Are on some roll

It’s crazy

bruins got fucked

The NHL does the worst job amongst the major sports leagues in developing a regular season that identifies the best teams. From backwards reg season OT and SO rules that work in the exact opposite of how they work in playoffs as well as how games are officiated.

During the regular season, the 2022-23 Florida Panthers went 6-8 in overtime games. In the playoffs, the 2022-23 Florida Panthers went 6-0 in overtime games.

The canes won three key OT games in the first two rounds. None, obvi, in the third.

there is good reason why massive upsets happen more in the NHL and the league seems to not care

I agree with all that.
    IMO, Regulation wins should be worth 3 points.  OT win 2, OT loss 1, and regulation loss 0.  That would create a nice environment too where teams can make up ground if they string regulation wins together.  It incentivizes winning in regulation.  Regulation wins are much more impressive than forcing (or crawling to) OT and winning on 3v3 or the shootout.
    Having some games worth 3 points where other games worth 2 imbalances the standings/league, and is not really fair.  It also creates a slog where everyone is like 4-3-3 in their last 10 games and nobody can move in the standings.

To take it a step further, I would eliminate the shootout and go continuous 3 v 3 (I would be shocked if any OT went more than 10 minutes). 

The playoffs have always given that randomness sheen to them, even before they gunked up the standings structure.  They call it a "Presidents Trophy Curse", but the truth is, it is just really damn hard to win a Stanley Cup.  You need health, a hot goalie, some shooters to heat up, and also a good heaping of luck.  I remember the Sabres made the cup finals as a 7 seed.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    There were always massive upsets - even without the dumb OT loss and shootouts and all that. It's just the nature of the sport.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Exciting...and it allows all teams to have hope.  You can lift the cup as an eight seed.

Because it’s not an accurate product. I am tired of hearing how great regular season teams are. A leagues job is to identify the best team. It came one tie from not including a potential champion. If I did my job that accurately I’d be fired.
    There were always massive upsets - even without the dumb OT loss and shootouts and all that. It's just the nature of the sport.
    Do you have any stats on that?

from my recollection, it was more difficult to knock out the top teams of the 70s era and earlier, by a massive amount. The Canadians, Bruins, Isles, Flyers, etc did not get upset in the first round iirc. Now it’s common.
    MayDay10 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

they Are on some roll

It’s crazy

bruins got fucked

I agree with all that.
    IMO, Regulation wins should be worth 3 points.  OT win 2, OT loss 1, and regulation loss 0.  That would create a nice environment too where teams can make up ground if they string regulation wins together.  It incentivizes winning in regulation.  Regulation wins are much more impressive than forcing (or crawling to) OT and winning on 3v3 or the shootout.
    Having some games worth 3 points where other games worth 2 imbalances the standings/league, and is not really fair.  It also creates a slog where everyone is like 4-3-3 in their last 10 games and nobody can move in the standings.

To take it a step further, I would eliminate the shootout and go continuous 3 v 3 (I would be shocked if any OT went more than 10 minutes). 

The playoffs have always given that randomness sheen to them, even before they gunked up the standings structure.  They call it a "Presidents Trophy Curse", but the truth is, it is just really damn hard to win a Stanley Cup.  You need health, a hot goalie, some shooters to heat up, and also a good heaping of luck.  I remember the Sabres made the cup finals as a 7 seed.  

I’m with you on the three point issue, another thing the NHL massively screws up that they will never budge on due to tradition. 

Two teams can play a sloppy hot mess, play to a 6-6 tie decided in a SO, and the NHL awards three points. Another game, a team can play a perfect flawless game, a 3-0 shutout, that game is worth two points, 50% less. It’s just as illogical as the reg season OT rules and how penalties are excessively called, but they’ll never change due to their yes culture on sixth avenue.

Because it’s not an accurate product. I am tired of hearing how great regular season teams are. A leagues job is to identify the best team. It came one tie from not including a potential champion. If I did my job that accurately I’d be fired.
    I get your opinion, and that many might share it.
    I'm not one of them.  :lol:   
    I would not say a league's job is to identify the best team.  If you roll out the rules and all teams play by them, in my opinion there is not room for the teams that just miss out to cry.
    College football has always been an example of that....a team that at the end of the year is badass and nobody wants to play or that many say are better than one of the teams in the Natty (especially before the playoff) but they lost a game or games earlier which stopped them from making it in.
    Part of the deal.  They expand the playoff pool and the first few teams out still complain.  
    Part of it.

My take.  You want to be the best?  Play like the best.  Everyone plays by the same rules.
    best olympics money could buy!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

I get your opinion, and that many might share it.
    I'm not one of them.  :lol:   
    I would not say a league's job is to identify the best team.  If you roll out the rules and all teams play by them, in my opinion there is not room for the teams that just miss out to cry.
    College football has always been an example of that....a team that at the end of the year is badass and nobody wants to play or that many say are better than one of the teams in the Natty (especially before the playoff) but they lost a game or games earlier which stopped them from making it in.
    Part of the deal.  They expand the playoff pool and the first few teams out still complain.  
    Part of it.

My take.  You want to be the best?  Play like the best.  Everyone plays by the same rules.
    I don't have any issue with the points system and craziness of the playoffs if what makes it so great.