Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    My immigration thoughts are definitely tainted.  
    I processed free and reduced meal applications for a school district with over 4500 students and something like 17 different languages being spoken.  If I had questions about the application a family member (usually one of the kids) would translate the answers or I would have them come in for a meeting with an ESL teacher/counselor so they could assist them.  I remember about 90% of them telling me “god bless you”.  American citizens were rude, ignorant, and entitled.  So whether a new citizen child or an American child that’s all I could see.  The children.  If taking shit from an American citizen parent meant their child could eat that day well so be it. 

Start looking at individuals in front of you as a single human rather than as someone from a group.  
    NYC doesn't like to close the schools down for any reason.  Do you know why?  Most inner city kids are fed through the schools.  Feeding the kids doesn't bother me in the slightest, we've been doing this for years.

It's the strain on the teachers in the schools where it becomes a problem.  Kids need structure to learn.  Take that from them and you'll get chaos just like the ones the people in charge are doing thinking it's for the best.
    This is well said.

Illegal (and probably legal too) immigration disproportionally effects certain communities more and does create a big strain on the services, including education. 

Two different schools can have the same budget. One uses a large portion of it for co-teachers and ESL support which leads to over crowded conditions, high teacher turnover, fewer elective options for students, slower pacing for classes, etc. The other can reduce class sizes and keep the building up to date with it, offer more advance classes, keep up with technology, etc. Its a big strain that is rarely acknowledged. And if that other school is in a different district, chances are it will have better pay and retain better teachers as well. Ignoring the stress it creates doesn't help anyone. 

And acknowledging it isn't bad. I can see them as individuals and have empathy for what them and understand the strain on resources at the same time. 
    Oh yes you can just like I can believe in allowing immigrants in while enforcing laws and having structure. 

Why isn’t your district or district A above not receiving extra money for ESL students?  We had so many grants approved that not one penny of residents money was used for immigrants food or ESL teachers.  Now this was ten years ago but I’m fairly certain it’s still budgeted that way.  
    My understanding is a lot of that money is for teacher training, certifications and PD, or after school programs and tutoring, things like that. Not staffing and salaries. 
    I could be wrong, but that's how I always thought it worked with that. Food is paid for by a different budget, you are correct about that.

Either way, my point was there is a lot more money that goes into poorer communities than people realize. Those communities with a higher migrant population are often in the lower-income areas.

Schools with low-income families often don't charge for busses, will pay for fees associated with class, will provide students with electronic devices and computers and so many more things other schools don't need to even consider. Schools in upper middle class areas will charge for bussing, don't provide electronics because they can rely on families supplying them. Don't need to provide basic school supplies or personal sporting equipment. Leaves more money for building maintenance and updates. Money for sports and fields and club sponsorship. More money for more elective classes. Money for custodians and providing a cleaner school. And teacher salaries.
    Those schools are often all around much better places to attend and work. When money from the budget is being used to provide bussing, class fees, student supplies, student devices, personal sporting equipment, there is no money left for custodians and teacher salaries. The school is outdated, not cleaned, offers fewer electives and honors classes.

That's exactly how 2 schools a few miles from each other can look completely different. Both get the same state and federal funding. One has to use more resources on the students, the other has more to use on the school as a whole. 
    Looks like Title I funds are utilized differently state by state.  Would have thought federal $$ would have consistent rules around the country like abortion, oh never mind. 

This is NY’s allowable Title I expenses. 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don’t know why we’re joking about this and pretending it’s not a problem. Just because it didn’t look like a zombie hoard from TWD doesn’t mean it’s not a big problem.

“Migrant border crossings in fiscal year 2022 topped 2.76 million, breaking previous record”

that’s some big numbers right there.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna53517

Mace, I just want a logical answer.  Restaurants around me are cutting their hours because no one wants to work in the food industry any longer. Old folks around me can’t find anyone to cut their grass for less than 50.  Waste management had to purchase garbage trucks that can auto lift and empty the cans because no one wants to be a garbage man.  You know where I’m going with this. We expect and ensure that our children are doing better than each generation before.  So first, who do you think will start filling all these jobs?  Farmers, laborers, etc.  And second, what’s wrong with other mothers and fathers just like us wanting more for their children.  
    I’m on your side that something has to be done and so are these people you’re getting upset with.  Everyone acts and thinks differently about everything going on.  I don’t think anyone means to upset you.  
    Cheap paying jobs that should pay more.  Lots of people got out during the pandemic because they could afford to.

Why teens don't do this work anymore is a mystery to me though.  As a teen you aren't expected to make a ton of money, just make some beer money.  I landscaped for years my friends all washed dishes.  Are kids that spoiled that they don't want to work?
    That's also a big part of it. Teens aren't driving anymore and working a lot less. Jobs that used to be staffed by mostly high school students (like McDonalds) had to raise wages to appeal to adults to get employees.

Drive by a high school that had adequate parking 10-15 years ago and it will be half empty now. A lot were over crowded, so it looks right now, but if it had enough spaces in 2005, its half empty now. 

It looks funny, my last hight school in Colorado had a ton of parking. There was a huge paved lot, then a giant dirt lot, but the dirt lot had street lights and curbs all around it, it just looked weird. Come to find it, somewhere around 2010, they were short on student parking. They started to build a second lot. They did the curb first, then put in the lights. But before they got to paving it, students stopped driving. Now the one we had that was cramped, goes half empty every day. And the dirt lot that's half made, just sits there abandoned. 
    Kids aren't driving now?  They don't want to get out and go places now?
    my nearly 17 year old has no interest in driving. and literally NONE of her friends do either. my wife and I find it BAFFLING
    I have a theory.  So many drivers suffer from Tourette’s syndrome every time they get behind the wheel and with so much road rage going on I think they just don’t want to deal with it.  
    I think the things we bitch and complain about are the things our children stay away from. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don’t know why we’re joking about this and pretending it’s not a problem. Just because it didn’t look like a zombie hoard from TWD doesn’t mean it’s not a big problem.

“Migrant border crossings in fiscal year 2022 topped 2.76 million, breaking previous record”

Mace, I just want a logical answer.  Restaurants around me are cutting their hours because no one wants to work in the food industry any longer. Old folks around me can’t find anyone to cut their grass for less than 50.  Waste management had to purchase garbage trucks that can auto lift and empty the cans because no one wants to be a garbage man.  You know where I’m going with this. We expect and ensure that our children are doing better than each generation before.  So first, who do you think will start filling all these jobs?  Farmers, laborers, etc.  And second, what’s wrong with other mothers and fathers just like us wanting more for their children.  
    I’m on your side that something has to be done and so are these people you’re getting upset with.  Everyone acts and thinks differently about everything going on.  I don’t think anyone means to upset you.  
    Cheap paying jobs that should pay more.  Lots of people got out during the pandemic because they could afford to.

Why teens don't do this work anymore is a mystery to me though.  As a teen you aren't expected to make a ton of money, just make some beer money.  I landscaped for years my friends all washed dishes.  Are kids that spoiled that they don't want to work?
    That's also a big part of it. Teens aren't driving anymore and working a lot less. Jobs that used to be staffed by mostly high school students (like McDonalds) had to raise wages to appeal to adults to get employees.

Drive by a high school that had adequate parking 10-15 years ago and it will be half empty now. A lot were over crowded, so it looks right now, but if it had enough spaces in 2005, its half empty now. 

It looks funny, my last hight school in Colorado had a ton of parking. There was a huge paved lot, then a giant dirt lot, but the dirt lot had street lights and curbs all around it, it just looked weird. Come to find it, somewhere around 2010, they were short on student parking. They started to build a second lot. They did the curb first, then put in the lights. But before they got to paving it, students stopped driving. Now the one we had that was cramped, goes half empty every day. And the dirt lot that's half made, just sits there abandoned. 
    my nearly 17 year old has no interest in driving. and literally NONE of her friends do either. my wife and I find it BAFFLING
    I have a theory.  So many drivers suffer from Tourette’s syndrome every time they get behind the wheel and with so much road rage going on I think they just don’t want to deal with it.  
    I think the things we bitch and complain about are the things our children stay away from. 
    So off topic but my uncle had Tourette's and drove.  Now never having been with him in a car absolutely scared the shit out of me because when he had his episode, which was quite frequent, he would whip the steering wheel.  Now going 50-60mph this is no damn fun for a 10yo, lol.  I thought I was going to die.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my theory is that my wife and all the other mothers drive their kids everywhere at every whim without making them walk/take the bus/bike/etc, they have no interest. 

it drives me crazy. my daughter refuses to take the bus to the mall. so what happens? MY WIFE DRIVES HER. or her friend's mom drives them. or another mom. 

my youngest is different, as are all her friends. they just hop on a bus without knowing a damn thing. but she's motivated. my oldest is not (homebody). so my wife's excuse is "I'm just happy she's going out". hook, line, and sinker. I give rides in Winnipeg's Siberian winters. But not now. 

but yeah, and none of them want to work either. she spends no money so no motivation there. it will happen, but just not yet. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So off topic but my uncle had Tourette's and drove.  Now never having been with him in a car absolutely scared the shit out of me because when he had his episode, which was quite frequent, he would whip the steering wheel.  Now going 50-60mph this is no damn fun for a 10yo, lol.  I thought I was going to die.
    Oh man I’m sorry.  I know you weren’t scolding me but I still feel bad. 
    my theory is that my wife and all the other mothers drive their kids everywhere at every whim without making them walk/take the bus/bike/etc, they have no interest. 

it drives me crazy. my daughter refuses to take the bus to the mall. so what happens? MY WIFE DRIVES HER. or her friend's mom drives them. or another mom. 

my youngest is different, as are all her friends. they just hop on a bus without knowing a damn thing. but she's motivated. my oldest is not (homebody). so my wife's excuse is "I'm just happy she's going out". hook, line, and sinker. I give rides in Winnipeg's Siberian winters. But not now. 

but yeah, and none of them want to work either. she spends no money so no motivation there. it will happen, but just not yet. 
    Well those are good points as well.  It all contributes to it I guess.  Doesn’t matter anyway because the parents get blamed no matter what!  
    I couldn’t wait to get my license.  First night I begged to go buy “conditioner” and they finally said yes.  Cars back then were huge (mercury marquis).  So I drove around and picked up all my friends and we all went to buy conditioner then I drove them home.  Thinking back I lied as much as trump just to get out of the house!  
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Oh man I’m sorry.  I know you weren’t scolding me but I still feel bad. 
    No , not making anyone feel bad or whatnot.  It is a funny story now.  My uncle embraced his disease and we had fun with it.

Watching Deuce Bigalow and Amy Poehler's part where she yelled profanities in public?  That was my Uncle.  We never saw it as anything but are Uncle but I am sure it looked batshit crazy outside looking in.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Wait, kids still goto the mall?
    That's more surprising than not driving.

I think phones have a lot to do with it. A license was your freedom when I was that age. Today, its their phone. They don't need to be in person as much, they just connect via their phones. 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I processed free and reduced meal applications for a school district with over 4500 students and something like 17 different languages being spoken.  If I had questions about the application a family member (usually one of the kids) would translate the answers or I would have them come in for a meeting with an ESL teacher/counselor so they could assist them.  I remember about 90% of them telling me “god bless you”.  American citizens were rude, ignorant, and entitled.  So whether a new citizen child or an American child that’s all I could see.  The children.  If taking shit from an American citizen parent meant their child could eat that day well so be it. 

Start looking at individuals in front of you as a single human rather than as someone from a group.  
    NYC doesn't like to close the schools down for any reason.  Do you know why?  Most inner city kids are fed through the schools.  Feeding the kids doesn't bother me in the slightest, we've been doing this for years.

It's the strain on the teachers in the schools where it becomes a problem.  Kids need structure to learn.  Take that from them and you'll get chaos just like the ones the people in charge are doing thinking it's for the best.
    This is well said.

Illegal (and probably legal too) immigration disproportionally effects certain communities more and does create a big strain on the services, including education. 

Two different schools can have the same budget. One uses a large portion of it for co-teachers and ESL support which leads to over crowded conditions, high teacher turnover, fewer elective options for students, slower pacing for classes, etc. The other can reduce class sizes and keep the building up to date with it, offer more advance classes, keep up with technology, etc. Its a big strain that is rarely acknowledged. And if that other school is in a different district, chances are it will have better pay and retain better teachers as well. Ignoring the stress it creates doesn't help anyone. 

And acknowledging it isn't bad. I can see them as individuals and have empathy for what them and understand the strain on resources at the same time. 
    Oh yes you can just like I can believe in allowing immigrants in while enforcing laws and having structure. 

Why isn’t your district or district A above not receiving extra money for ESL students?  We had so many grants approved that not one penny of residents money was used for immigrants food or ESL teachers.  Now this was ten years ago but I’m fairly certain it’s still budgeted that way.  
    My understanding is a lot of that money is for teacher training, certifications and PD, or after school programs and tutoring, things like that. Not staffing and salaries. 
    I could be wrong, but that's how I always thought it worked with that. Food is paid for by a different budget, you are correct about that.

Either way, my point was there is a lot more money that goes into poorer communities than people realize. Those communities with a higher migrant population are often in the lower-income areas.

Schools with low-income families often don't charge for busses, will pay for fees associated with class, will provide students with electronic devices and computers and so many more things other schools don't need to even consider. Schools in upper middle class areas will charge for bussing, don't provide electronics because they can rely on families supplying them. Don't need to provide basic school supplies or personal sporting equipment. Leaves more money for building maintenance and updates. Money for sports and fields and club sponsorship. More money for more elective classes. Money for custodians and providing a cleaner school. And teacher salaries.
    Those schools are often all around much better places to attend and work. When money from the budget is being used to provide bussing, class fees, student supplies, student devices, personal sporting equipment, there is no money left for custodians and teacher salaries. The school is outdated, not cleaned, offers fewer electives and honors classes.

That's exactly how 2 schools a few miles from each other can look completely different. Both get the same state and federal funding. One has to use more resources on the students, the other has more to use on the school as a whole. 
    Looks like Title I funds are utilized differently state by state.  Would have thought federal $$ would have consistent rules around the country like abortion, oh never mind. 

Mayor Adams has said that the state or city rather has received a fraction of the money promised for letting in the asylum seekers.

We should have a sponsoring system like they do in other countries.

I also think the government should start developing new cities.  I always wanted to do that.  Plan a brand new city/development.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

This is well said.

Mayor Adams has said that the state or city rather has received a fraction of the money promised for letting in the asylum seekers.

I also think the government should start developing new cities.  I always wanted to do that.  Plan a brand new city/development.
    I know its been done many times before. But I always wonder how do you convince 100,000 people, or however many it would take, to just up and move to an unestablished location?
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

This is well said.

I know its been done many times before. But I always wonder how do you convince 100,000 people, or however many it would take, to just up and move to an unestablished location?
    They came here with literally nothing.  With no idea where they would end up.  I don't think they would care too much to be moved around as long as they were allowed to live their lives?

This is my thinking and I could be totally wrong.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

This is well said.

They came here with literally nothing.  With no idea where they would end up.  I don't think they would care too much to be moved around as long as they were allowed to live their lives?

So, reserve some land for immigrants where they can all go and live together. What should we call this reserved area? Reservation sounds like a good name. Nothing can go wrong with that.

All kidding aside, developing new cities requires more than a bunch of immigrants. The whole infrastructure, schools, public services and utilities all have to be set up. You can't expect a bunch of immigrants to just show up and do all that. Schools with a large immigrant population struggle enough, I can't imagine one that was designed solely for that.

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

This is well said.

So, reserve some land for immigrants where they can all go and live together. What should we call this reserved area? Reservation sounds like a good name. Nothing can go wrong with that.

All kidding aside, developing new cities requires more than a bunch of immigrants. The whole infrastructure, schools, public services and utilities all have to be set up. You can't expect a bunch of immigrants to just show up and do all that. Schools with a large immigrant population struggle enough, I can't imagine one that was designed solely for that.

I'm well aware of the thought needed into building a new city and I should have mentioned it wouldn't be all immigrants but developing a new area with infrastructure and housing for people should be something to consider.

I know we made buildings like this in the 60's and 70's to disastrous results so maybe my idea isn't so good.  You call these developments "projects" now.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Ralphie May rest in peace buddy this was hilarious

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Ralphie May rest in peace buddy this was hilarious

Hopefully you got some much needed sleep after posting this.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

This is well said.

If it was affordable I would drop everything and get in on the ground floor.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    Sounds quite authoritarian. So much for liberty, eh? And how’s about that “independence?” Tejas, please Mexico, take it back, please?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Sounds quite authoritarian. So much for liberty, eh? And how’s about that “independence?” Tejas, please Mexico, take it back, please?
    It's like eminent domain which I am not a fan of either.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    What will Abbot do next to control the crossing? Add alligators? Why not just shoot on site pick them off while they are crossing.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    What will Abbot do next to control the crossing? Add alligators? Why not just shoot on site pick them off while they are crossing.
    Piranhas 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Piranhas 
    That would work too 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I was just in Manhattan for work at 46th and 5th ave.

This is where the most expensive commercial real-estate exists.

Upon looking around I had passed a block that was lined with scooters.  Something you normally see in less affluent areas. An unusual amount of Hispanic people.  NY is a melting pot and you have pockets of different ethnicities but not in the heart of Midtown.  

I asked the grounds operator about the seemingly large amount of Hispanics and he pointed to the hotel across the street.  It has become an asylum seeker house.

The state had obtained the rooms to help out the asylum seekers.

They have made a local hangout for themselves at one of the spots and the scooters I learned were delivery vehicles for some of them.

I don't see how that any of them upon being given asylum can maintain living out there.  Sometimes where we place people is absurd.

Upon looking around I had passed a block that was lined with scooters.  Something you normally see in less affluent areas. An unusual amount of Hispanic people.  NY is a melting pot and you have pockets of different ethnicities but not in the heart of Midtown.  

I asked the grounds operator about the seemingly large amount of Hispanics and he pointed to the hotel across the street.  It has become an asylum seeker house.

They have made a local hangout for themselves at one of the spots and the scooters I learned were delivery vehicles for some of them.

I don't see how that any of them upon being given asylum can maintain living out there.  Sometimes where we place people is absurd.

temporary by design, semi-permanent in practice.

but lets for a moment remove the who and replace with a generic marker of these human beings, aspiring americans. The degree of work and effort to make it here they will by and large put in is laudable, no? Dont we WANT those types of go-getters here to fuel the "American Dream" of freedom , to keep things moving right along?

I sometimes think most of the objections of those born here is centered on these hard working people making them look bad in their laziness by comparison.....

mickeyrat said:

temporary by design, semi-permanent in practice.

but lets for a moment remove the who and replace with a generic marker of these human beings, aspiring americans. The degree of work and effort to make it here they will by and large put in is laudable, no? Dont we WANT those types of go-getters here to fuel the "American Dream" of freedom , to keep things moving right along?

I sometimes think most of the objections of those born here is centered on these hard working people making them look bad in their laziness by comparison.....
    Of course you want them to be able to succeed.  Placing them in the center of the most expensive part of the city seems dumb though.  They are all most likely going to get somewhat established in that area, then they get their visas or citizenship and will most likely have to leave that hotel because they would be on their own.

NY is an expensive place to live and unless you have an amazing job or have a good network it might take them a few generations to get established.

So yes, if you want them to succeed and really want to help, NYC's midtown might not be the ideal place to try this out.
    Eminent domain is a necessary evil though. So many freeways and other needed  infrastructure that benefits everyone wouldn’t exist without it.
    mace1229 said:
    Eminent domain is a necessary evil though. So many freeways and other needed  infrastructure that benefits everyone wouldn’t exist without it.
    It worked for Huey Long, so yes.