Options

Need recommendation for interface works with Mac

And GarageBand any help appreciated I know I can go to guitar center and ask but I want opinions on best ones form any who would like to help thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I use a Mackie VLZ for live mics. But I don’t use the new GB. I use a 2010 MB Pro for recording. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    Thanks man I went with the Apollo and its Thunderbolt interface given the onboard processing - is it possible to share notes here on results?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I’m not much of a tech head, but you can have a listen to this song I recorded using:
    Macbook Pro 2011 GarageBand: Electric Guitar and Bass were plugged in using a a Mac friendly instrument cable running out of my Fender Princeton straight into the Mac and using GarageBand effects
    Mackie VLZ with XLRs to these mics:
    Ev Cobalt mics for the main guitar and drums 
    Shure SM78 for main guitar and drums
    Shure Vocal Mic for all vocals

*Mixed and mastered using GarageBand controls. All me, no help. 

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    Focusrite 2i2 or Solo depending on your budget and whether you need one or two inputs. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    A lot of new mixers (and some synths) have audio interfaces incorporated into them.  I use a Zoom LiveTrack L-12.  It can send 10 channels to my DAW (it uses channels 11 and 12 when acting as a USB interface).  I can also record direct to the L-12.  I just wish it had more stereo inputs.  Tascom Model 12 should do the same.  

I'm currently mulling getting a Teenage Engineering TX-6 that can send 12 channels and also mix 6 stereo inputs.  I could be wrong, but the days of a dedicated interface seem to be over as more devices are set up as interfaces.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
    Jason P said:
    A lot of new mixers (and some synths) have audio interfaces incorporated into them.  I use a Zoom LiveTrack L-12.  It can send 10 channels to my DAW (it uses channels 11 and 12 when acting as a USB interface).  I can also record direct to the L-12.  I just wish it had more stereo inputs.  Tascom Model 12 should do the same.  

I'm currently mulling getting a Teenage Engineering TX-6 that can send 12 channels and also mix 6 stereo inputs.  I could be wrong, but the days of a dedicated interface seem to be over as more devices are set up as interfaces.
    I've been using a Tascam Model 12 for about a year. It has been terrific! Can't imagine going back to my old interface.

Having the mixer as DAW control surface is a game changer and SQ is great.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    I need this thread right now... I recently bought an iRig2 and for the life of me can't hear my bass signal through my headphones. I know the ipad is receiving the signal, but all I can hear is the metronome. Everything I've read / watched suggests it's plug in & play, and after trouble shooting a bit & not being able to figure it out, I'm going to return it. 

My cousin has an extra interface for me that I'm going to try, but I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff. 
  • Options
    I need this thread right now... I recently bought an iRig2 and for the life of me can't hear my bass signal through my headphones. I know the ipad is receiving the signal, but all I can hear is the metronome. Everything I've read / watched suggests it's plug in & play, and after trouble shooting a bit & not being able to figure it out, I'm going to return it. 

My cousin has an extra interface for me that I'm going to try, but I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff. 
    There may be a built in tuner that needs to be muted in the amplitude software (i don’t own one … just searching for solutions).    Someone also mentioned that checking the pan controls.  
  • Options
    Jason P said:

There may be a built in tuner that needs to be muted in the amplitude software (i don’t own one … just searching for solutions).    Someone also mentioned that checking the pan controls.  
    Appreciate that… I think I checked those things, I’ve tried both amplitude and garage band, and can’t seem to get it up & running. Gonna go meet up w/ my cousin in a week or two and hopefully he can walk me through it 
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Appreciate that… I think I checked those things, I’ve tried both amplitude and garage band, and can’t seem to get it up & running. Gonna go meet up w/ my cousin in a week or two and hopefully he can walk me through it 

Hmm.  Hopefully your cousin can figure it out.  Here are some more troubleshooting tips to check out ...

• Options
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

Hmm.  Hopefully your cousin can figure it out.  Here are some more troubleshooting tips to check out ...

Appreciate that too. I used that sweetwater guide over the weekend to no avail. I genuinely think something’s wrong w/ the iRig. I’m not throwing in the towel, but I am going to go another route & return this. Might give it another go this weekend, I have until next Friday to return it.