Post your stereo system!

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

Is this a new addition for you?
    yes. am told it plays. will get it in a couple days. I simply cannot wait for 2275 to be done.  and after briefly hearing the 2275 , the onkyo just doesnt satisfy any more. am told needs bulb replacement. so will try to tackle that one myself.

the appeal of this model was its features having 2 phono stages.65 watts doesnt hurt and its price was attractive . all in with shipping and tax I am at what it was retail in 77-79.

now I need to sneak it in the house....

Very cool! I had a 2252b years ago and it was a really nice, clean sounding receiver. I expect the 2265b will be similar. 

Replacing the bulbs is pretty easy. Just go slow and be careful with the plastic parts as they become brittle over the years.

Congrats man!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 593
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

Is this a new addition for you?
    yes. am told it plays. will get it in a couple days. I simply cannot wait for 2275 to be done.  and after briefly hearing the 2275 , the onkyo just doesnt satisfy any more. am told needs bulb replacement. so will try to tackle that one myself.

the appeal of this model was its features having 2 phono stages.65 watts doesnt hurt and its price was attractive . all in with shipping and tax I am at what it was retail in 77-79.

now I need to sneak it in the house....

Congratulations on the Marantz score! Been there done that. My buddy has managed to sneak a 160WPC Kenwood 9600 by the Mrs. so far.

I just finally just came clean when I picked up a Sansui 881 last spring and it all worked out.
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 593
    I’ve been down the vintage gear Youtube rabbit hole quite a bit lately. Been checking out a channel called Skylabs Audio. I’ve really enjoyed Kevin’s various posts. I’m 1,000’s of miles away from his shop and he doesn’t ship but looks like some quality tech’s, and gear and information imho.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421
    operation hide from the wife in effect. shipped fedex. diverted to a fedex office location 2 miles away. will pick up tomorrow when they open. was delivered about 30 minutes ago......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    DJ253147 said:
    I’ve been down the vintage gear Youtube rabbit hole quite a bit lately. Been checking out a channel called Skylabs Audio. I’ve really enjoyed Kevin’s various posts. I’m 1,000’s of miles away from his shop and he doesn’t ship but looks like some quality tech’s, and gear and information imho.
    The vintage gear rabbit hole can be treacherous and costly. There is so much great stuff out there that it's almost overwhelming. 
    mickeyrat said:
    operation hide from the wife in effect. shipped fedex. diverted to a fedex office location 2 miles away. will pick up tomorrow when they open. was delivered about 30 minutes ago......
    Cool man! I'm excited to hear what you think of it. Sounds like you got a good deal too!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Cool man! I'm excited to hear what you think of it. Sounds like you got a good deal too!
    Yeah congratulations on your new secret!  Let it not eat you alive!
    edited April 2023
    in my possession,  now to get it in the house.

edit.
    in and quick hook up. little scratchy in the speakers through phono 1. but she plays!!!!!!

this weekend will crack it open to blow it out and deoxit etc....

now to order the lamp kit.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    ^^^^^^  Congrats!!!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    mickeyrat said:

edit.
    in and quick hook up. little scratchy in the speakers through phono 1. but she plays!!!!!!

How does it sound compared to your Onkyo and the 2275?
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

edit.

2275 sounded good generally before cleaning. haven't gotten in to do anything yet on the 2265b. hope to do basics today. Am getting sound cutting out, scratchy when knob adjusting(balance etc).

onkyo has a certain sterilty? lack of depth? Dont get me wrong, it preforms admirably and sounds decent but just doesn't have that x factor marantz does.

so theres spraying pots etc, but am curious about actual cleaning of surfaces. particularly the heat sinks. theres a specific odor like burnt greasy dust on power. in fact out of its shipping box it was prominent.

so any direction in just basic cleaning to then be able to better assess what she needs would be helpful.

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

edit.

2275 sounded good generally before cleaning. haven't gotten in to do anything yet on the 2265b. hope to do basics today. Am getting sound cutting out, scratchy when knob adjusting(balance etc).

onkyo has a certain sterilty? lack of depth? Dont get me wrong, it preforms admirably and sounds decent but just doesn't have that x factor marantz does.

so theres spraying pots etc, but am curious about actual cleaning of surfaces. particularly the heat sinks. theres a specific odor like burnt greasy dust on power. in fact out of its shipping box it was prominent.

so any direction in just basic cleaning to then be able to better assess what she needs would be helpful.
    I have had good luck using soft bristled paint brushes and canned air to get that stuff off. There will likely be some odor remaining but it will go away with regular use. 

Other than that, a very slightly damp microfiber cloth for the surfaces and Deoxit for the controls should get you there.
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

edit.

I have had good luck using soft bristled paint brushes and canned air to get that stuff off. There will likely be some odor remaining but it will go away with regular use. 

Other than that, a very slightly damp microfiber cloth for the surfaces and Deoxit for the controls should get you there.

copy that.

GOOD SHIT!!!!!

Still needs relamped but thats about it. Blow out and deoxit. cleaned the face. Appears to function normally in all inputs. Deoxit addressed the scratchy sound. Built on April 10 1978. Was suprisingly clean considering. Top side had the usual dust but not all that much imo considering its 45 years old...., bottom  end was really clean. Tuner is aligned really well. both meters function

deciding on led lamp type. guy on ebay "developed" a set thats frosted, giving 360 degree light. cheap enough too. adbook group most are warm white only etc... think I will go white and these frosted ones. Now to the vellum. Guy on there uses mylar. never yellows. or can get precut set is 2 , 4 or 6 sheet for under 10.

mickeyrat said:
    GOOD SHIT!!!!!

Still needs relamped but thats about it. Blow out and deoxit. cleaned the face. Appears to function normally in all inputs. Deoxit addressed the scratchy sound. Built on April 10 1978. Was suprisingly clean considering. Top side had the usual dust but not all that much imo considering its 45 years old...., bottom  end was really clean. Tuner is aligned really well. both meters function

deciding on led lamp type. guy on ebay "developed" a set thats frosted, giving 360 degree light. cheap enough too. adbook group most are warm white only etc... think I will go white and these frosted ones. Now to the vellum. Guy on there uses mylar. never yellows. or can get precut set is 2 , 4 or 6 sheet for under 10.
    Deoxit is a miracle worker. 
    bonus, wife came downstairs, saw it but didnt say a word.

mickeyrat said:
    GOOD SHIT!!!!!

Very cool! Sounds like it's coming along nicely. 

FWIW, I've used vellum paper and I have also used parchment paper with good results. Once the fuse lamps are changed to LEDs, the yellowing due to heat isn't really a problem. 

I have also just changed to warm white LEDs and left the old vellum paper alone. It still returns to blue on the dial face since the LEDs are much less yellow than the original fuse lamps. 

Can't really go wrong, whatever you decide. It's a beautiful receiver. 
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GOOD SHIT!!!!!

Very cool! Sounds like it's coming along nicely. 

FWIW, I've used vellum paper and I have also used parchment paper with good results. Once the fuse lamps are changed to LEDs, the yellowing due to heat isn't really a problem. 

I have also just changed to warm white LEDs and left the old vellum paper alone. It still returns to blue on the dial face since the LEDs are much less yellow than the original fuse lamps. 

Can't really go wrong, whatever you decide. It's a beautiful receiver. 

vellum  and warm white frosted lens led kit ordered.

Is it hard to replace lamps on these vintage receivers?  Recently, two of my lamps have burned out. I have a Pioneer SX-950.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Is it hard to replace lamps on these vintage receivers?  Recently, two of my lamps have burned out. I have a Pioneer SX-950.

dudeman can tell you. but if you dont have it or arent a member at hifi engine, I can dload the service manual and send it to you if you want.

Right on! Thanks!  I believe I already have the service manual.  I'll check when I get home.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Right on! Thanks!  I believe I already have the service manual.  I'll check when I get home.

and youtube has helpful content.

Not terribly difficult on most of those Pioneers. Just take your time and handle the plastic housings delicately as they become brittle over the years.

I'd be happy to give you more detailed instructions via PM or we could even meet up and tackle it together if you'd like. 

Those old Pioneers are sweet and definitely worth keeping alive. 
    dudeman said:
    Not terribly difficult on most of those Pioneers. Just take your time and handle the plastic housings delicately as they become brittle over the years.

I'd be happy to give you more detailed instructions via PM or we could even meet up and tackle it together if you'd like. 

Those old Pioneers are sweet and definitely worth keeping alive. 
    Thanks dudeman! I already have the replacement light kits.  I picked them up from a local guy.  He's on the AudioKarma web site. 

Yes, we should meet up and you could teach some of your magic!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    edited April 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    GOOD SHIT!!!!!

discovered I still need to get into the speaker relay to clean/deoxit the contacts. ? right channel cutting out. particularly when changing records.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GOOD SHIT!!!!!

still to to get into the speaker relay to clean/deoxit ? right channel cutting out. particularly when changing records.
    Did you clean the pots already?
    edited April 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GOOD SHIT!!!!!

still to to get into the speaker relay to clean/deoxit ? right channel cutting out. particularly when changing records.

yes, may give that a go again as well.

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GOOD SHIT!!!!!

yes, may give that a go again as well.
    That, the tape monitor switch and all of the RCA connections on the back should go a long way in restoring both channels. 

Those relays are a pain in the ass to clean but it's doable. Just be really careful since you have to power up the unit and stick your hands in there while it's on.

There are videos that show how to do it relatively safely. I know a lot of people who don't try to clean them, they just replace the relay with a new production one from Mouser or Digikey.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited May 2023
    lolobugg said:

give us the run down.

Seeing Klipsh speakers?
    Guessing Pioneer TT

No clue on the rest.