Options

so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,422
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    I haven't had a JRP cheesesteak - I get the roast pork every time I go.
    A friend of mine took me to JRP and I said to him: "Why are we here to eat a cheesesteak?" He said" "Trust me."

And he was right as it was very good. Give it a try sometime.
    I have roast pork FOMO whenever I get a cheesesteak. But yeah I will have to get one next time.
    And I should try his Roast Pork, but I don't get over there much at all and I doubt I could pass on a Cheesesteak.
    It's probably an Italian thing - I gravitate to anything made from a pig. Mmmm scrapple.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    Sooo good.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    The wife brought this home to me for lunch today....I can honestly say it was one of the best cheesesteaks I have ever had. Bread was phenomenal. Cooper Sharp. Perfect cheese to meat ratio. Never heard of this place before. If you are ever in Quakertown, of all places, you have got to stop here. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    Bread looks really good
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    The wife brought this home to me for lunch today....I can honestly say it was one of the best cheesesteaks I have ever had. Bread was phenomenal. Cooper Sharp. Perfect cheese to meat ratio. Never heard of this place before. If you are ever in Quakertown, of all places, you have got to stop here. 

Uhmm yummy yummy that looks awesome I’d wolf that down in minutes 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    Holy shit never thought of fried cooper sharp. Yes, please:

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,426

The cheesesteak has changed. Here are 10 of the best new steaks, from Philly to Delaware

The Cooper Sharp revolution is here. From Philly to Jersey and Delaware, our favorite new-school cheesesteaks

Matthew Korfhage
    USA TODAY NETWORK

https://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/story/life/food/2023/06/27/10-top-new-cheesesteaks-in-philadelphia-new-jersey-and-delaware/70352152007/

Arguing over the anatomy of a proper cheesesteak is almost as old as the cheesesteak: finely chopped meat or thick slabs, American or whiz or provolone, the best width of an onion, the ratio of cheese to meat, soft or hard bread, seeds or no seeds.

But ever since a little pizzeria called Angelo’s moved across the Delaware to Philadelphia’s Italian Market to serve steaks with tangy Cooper Sharp American cheese on house-baked bread, the cheesesteak hasn’t been quite the same.

Lately, a lot of the most acclaimed new steaks aren’t in Philadelphia at all.

A new school of cheesesteak shops, inspired by Angelo’s and an army of cheesesteak hounds on social media, has sprung up over the past four years from Delaware to the edge of Princeton, New Jersey — threatening to unseat old favorites like Dalessandro’s and Jim's in the pantheon.

More:Are the best new cheesesteaks being born outside Philadelphia? The new ribeye arms race.

A new consensus has emerged: Hard, seeded roll. Voluminous steak, probably ribeye, in amounts that seemed previously inconceivable except as a gimmick. Enough Cooper Sharp to make each sandwich cheesier than an ‘80s movie. A renewed attention to bread with character, and quality of meat. And, of course, a commensurately higher price tag, sometimes $15 or $17 for a steak.

Reader, it’s delicious.

After trying dozens of steaks lauded as the best, here’s our favorite 10 among the new crop of cheesesteaks within an hour’s drive of South Philly.

Angelo’s Pizzeria
    Four years after opening in South Philly, Angelo's still draws crowds outside on the sidewalk for pizzas, cheesesteaks and hoagies. Seen here June 26, 2023.
    736 S. 9th St., Philadelphia, 215-922-0000, angelospizzeriasouthphiladelphia.com. Closed Monday-Tuesday. Cash only. Call ahead!

Angelo’s is the ur-daddy and prime inspiration for the new cheesesteak, a Jersey-born pizzeria from South Philly native Danny DiGiampietro that has managed to change the whole conversation around cheesesteaks since moving to Philly’s Italian Market in 2019. 

The anatomy is simple: an impossibly crusty, fresh-baked and long-proofed house roll that makes bread the main character, imbuing each bite with nutty crispness and chew. A tangy, aged-cheddar American cheese called Cooper Sharp that DiGiampietro has loved since childhood — a Pennsylvania-born cheese rarely seen on cheesesteaks until recently. And 10 ounces of premium ribeye, ladled into a roll whose center has been scooped out so bread and meat reach maximum harmony.

One half of a Cooper Sharp cheesesteak at Angelo's Pizzeria. Each cheesesteak comes with 10 ounces of ribeye on a house-baked roll made fresh multiple times a day, scooped out in the middle to make room for more meat.
    And, of course, a special ingredient that’s not on the menu: a little bit of grease.

“I’m a big believer in grease on the cheesesteak, man. ... Not too much, my cardiologist freaks out at me. But enough so you get the taste,” he said. “These places that put water on the grill? Naw, man.”

The result? A heavenly balance of bread with grainy character that fills the mouth. Meaty ribeye. Cheesy tang mixed with meat juice into a sort of fatty, funky symphony. 

Maybe your cardiologist will freak out. But so will you. 

And so has the whole city: Call ahead with your order, or you’ll end up waiting a half-hour on the sidewalk with a mixed crowd of locals and tourists. Bring cash.

RESTAURANT NEWS:Taps run dry on birch beer served for decades at Grotto Pizza

Brynn Bradley

839 N. Broad St., Woodbury, New Jersey, 856-845-9758, brynnbradley.com. Closed Monday-Tuesday.

Opened in late 2020 by chef Matthew Hartnett, Brynn Bradley’s cheesesteaks are like a checklist of everything that is loved by the new generation of cheesesteak fan: Seeded Liscio’s roll delivered fresh daily. Sixteen ounces of fresh ribeye shaved in-house and chopped to medium medallions. Generous Cooper Sharp cheese, well-distributed into the meat until it’s almost but not quite invisible. Onions tight-chopped and well distributed within the roll.

The whole concoction is juicy enough it seeps into the roll, but the roll is equal to the challenge. The Brynn Bradley cheesesteak is admirable in both heft and harmony, a dancing bear of a sandwich. It’s the picture they’d put in the textbook when you asked what a cheesesteak looks like in 2023. 

Show up for lunch and expect to see every guy in an orange construction vest working within a radius of miles, or maybe even some homesick military guys who drove down all the way from Virginia. Most will order the same thing you do.

Cafe Carmela
    The mammoth, Cooper Sharp and ribeye cheesesteak at Philadelphia's Cafe Carmela, served on a seeded roll from Carangi bakery.
    2859 Holme Ave., Philadelphia, 215-821-2584, 2975 Philmont Ave., Huntingdon Valley,215-821-2584,cafecarmelaphilly.com. Closed Monday.

When Joseph and Anna Marie Maglio opened Cafe Carmela in deep Northeast Philly in 2020, they never intended to serve cheesesteaks. 

But then, you know: the pandemic intervened.

Looking for a good takeout item, they modeled their cheesesteak after South Philly favorites both new and old — Angelo’s, and John’s Roast Pork. In particular, Anna Marie loved Angelo’s use of the same the Cooper Sharp cheese her own grandmother had long used on homemade steaks.

But the steak at Carmela is bigger in most ways. Twelve ounces of ribeye. Lots of seasoning. Lots and lots of Cooper Sharp or sharp provolone. Onions well-blended. A seeded roll from Carangi bakery, just like at John’s, turned out to be the roll that held up best to the magma flow of meat and cheese.

The cheesesteaks at Carmela now rival not only their pizza in popularity, they rival the best cheesesteaks in Philly and beyond — leading the Maglios to open a second shop in Montgomery County’s Huntingdon Valley in June.

Curly’s Comfort Foods
    The cheesesteak at Curly's Comfort Foods in Levittown, Pa., features a full pound of ribeye on a seeded Aversa roll. Pictured here is half of a steak.
    1140 Bristol Oxford Valley Road, Levittown, Pennsylvania, 267-639-0787,curlyscreations.com. Closed Monday, 

Michael Sarian, a bald-pated “Curly” in a long line of bald-pated Curlys, first put his 1-pound cheesesteak on the menu as a joke. The longtime comfort-food cook had gotten access to a supply of premium ribeye, and figured what the heck?

“It was a gimmick,” he said. “But people liked them.”

During peak pandemic, May 2020, he was handing out cheesesteaks for free to workers at local businesses in need. And then the steaks caught on, especially on social media with a newly formed Cheesesteak Gurus Facebook page that’s now swollen to more than 80,000 members. 

But it wasn’t just hype. It was also technique. Sarian layers meat, then cheese, then more meat, then more cheese, to distribute Cooper Sharp evenly and create a lovely substance that is neither meat nor cheese but gloriously both. His Aversa rolls are a special order that get extra time in the oven: sturdier, crisper, with more chew and an interesting sourdough twang. 

And if you feel like a pound of meat is too much? Sarian added a “small.” It’s still 12 ounces.

Corson’s Steaks
    The cheesesteak at Corson's Steaks in Haddonfield, New Jersey comes with sliced ribeye and a top layer of sweetly caramelized onions. Picutred here with Cooper Sharp cheese  June 25, 2023.
    14 Tanner St., Haddonfield, New Jersey, 856-354-0006, facebook.com/corsonssteaks. Open Friday-Sunday.

Corson’s is among the newest entrants in the cheesesteak sweepstakes, opening only last November. But veteran chef Mark Rooks quickly evolved his friendly shop into a heavy-hitter in Haddonfield’s self-consciously quaint downtown. Corson's has one of the most distinctive new-school steaks on this list. 

The meat is somewhere between sliced and a large chop, with strata of tender meat and cheese seasoned just enough to bring out the flavor, wet enough with meat juice to feel gravied, topped with massive and sweetly caramelized slices of onion. 

The sandwich is almost French in its richness, a bit like the beef bourguignon of cheesesteaks, all filed into a seeded Liscio’s roll that strains to carry it. If you’d like Cooper Sharp, ask for it off-menu. It’s there.

But come hungry, or come with a friend. Lord, the Corson’s cheesesteak is large. Too large for the sane. Too large for the single. Large.

hiladelphia-based writer for USA TODAY Network. Email him at mkorfhage@gannett.com or follow him on Twitter @matthewkorfhage.
  • Options
    Joseph’s Pizza Parlor
    The cheesesteak at Northeast Philly's Joseph's Pizza Parlor is made with custom-cut, prime-grade beef knuckle, on a Liscio's roll baked specially for Jospeh's.
    7947 Oxford Ave., Philadelphia, 215-722-7000, josephspizzaparlor.com. Open daily.

Joseph’s is a funny entrant on this list — as much a reaction against current cheesesteak trends as a successor to them.  

Co-owner Matthew Yeck, who years ago helped invent a Fieri-approved Cooper Sharp kielbasa cheesesteak at Port Richmond’s Gaul and Co., eschews Cooper on a basic cheesesteak. He’s also decided against ribeye. 

Cooper’s is too much muchness, he says. Ribeye is a flavorful cut, but prone to gristle.

And so after taking over classic Northeast Philly steak and pizza joint Joseph’s with partners Joseph Forkin and Jimmy Lyons, they decided to make a knuckle sandwich. 

Specifically, they buy the only prime-grade beef knuckle Yeck’s ever seen, from a butcher shop in South Philly. And they cut out the funny parts using high-tech tools at a plant in Delaware, to get fine-marbled knuckle slabs. 

Joseph's chop the meat with American cheese that’s not Cooper, onto a special “clean” Liscio’s roll with no additives or preservatives. The result is not as outrageously rich or nuttily distinctive as many of the viral cheesesteaks on this list. 

But it's a knuckler right across the middle of the plate. It is a cheesesteak somehow both traditional and as nontraditional as it gets: an anti-modern modern cheesesteak.

Lillo’s Tomato Pies

2503 Marne Hwy, Hainesport, New Jersey, 609-491-7751, facebook.com/LillosTomatoPies. Closed Sunday-Monday.

Open since 2021 on a desolate stretch of Hainesport, Lillo’s is the cheesesteak's version of a sleeper hit. The bustling family pizza shop is home to not just an excellent Trenton pie, but also what some in Jersey have anointed as the best cheesesteaks in the known universe.

The first bite will pretty much knock you out of your chair, and maybe change your dating life. The key ingredient, the one that makes people wild, is garlic aioli. The sandwich near-steams with it. Essentially, Lillo’s had the crazy idea to load a thick Cooper Sharp cheesesteak onto garlic bread.

The result is intensity and richness. For some, it’s the apocalypse, the end of what they can allow on cheesesteaks. For others, it’s the rapture.

I felt both ways, many ways at once: Is it too much, this garlic spread? On this sandwich that also features cheese and ribeye and onion and seeded Liscio’s roll? 

That first bite will have you writing your mother about true love. By the end, you will need to decide: Do I now also have to talk to a priest?

Mama’s Meatballs and Pizzeria
    The house-baked bread at Mama's Meatballs and Pizzeria in Pennsauken, N.J., features perhaps more seeds than any other local bakery, with crisp crust and plenty of gooey Cooper Sharp cheese.
    2673 Haddonfield Road, Pennsauken Township, New Jersey, 856-488-5253,mamasmeatballs.com. Closed Monday, 

The son of Sicilian immigrants, Joe Argento grew up amid baking his whole life, at pizzerias run by his family. 

And so when he and wife Katherine took over 7-year-old Pennsauken business Mama’s Meatballs in 2020, he knew he would devote himself to making the perfect pizza dough and to baking the perfect Italian roll for the restaurant’s namesake meatballs.

But then a customer told him, Hey: If you make a cheesesteak, people will come in for those more often than they do for meatballs. That was that.

Argento concocted a delicious and distinctive fresh-baked roll: thick-crusted, with doppio flour brought in from Italy, seeded like a field in spring. And in a story familiar to other restaurants on this list, that ribeye cheesesteak has taken over about a third of his business, same as his pizza.

It’s terrific, this bread. If they sold it only with butter and jam, I’d still come.

Now, the shop will be expanding into the space next door, offering dining room tables but especially a whole new room devoted just to proofing and mixing dough.

As for the decision to sell Cooper Sharp on those steaks? Fourteen ounces of medium-chop ribeye? It’s just the new phenomenon that everyone’s asking for these days, he said. Left to his own devices, Argento himself would make a slab steak, with plain Clearfield American. 

But when the world comes knocking, he answers.

“A few years ago,” said the Pennsylvania native, “I didn’t even know what Cooper Sharp was.”

Meatheadz Cheesesteaks

2495 Brunswick Pike #39, Lawrence Township, New Jersey, 609-583-4292,meatheadzcheesesteaks.com.

Meatheadz is a bit farther north than you’d expect for a top-tier cheesesteak spot. Between Trenton and Princeton, it’s a little outside the normal delivery radius for Philly bakeries.

But by a fluke, Meatheadz also happens to be down the street from the guy who delivers seeded bakery rolls for legendary bakery Sarcone’s. And so Joseph Weintraub, who owns the shop with his brother and dad, scored a coup. He’s pretty sure he’s the only spot in Jersey with Sarcone’s legendarily character-packed rolls.

As with Angelo’s, a shop the Weintraubs admire, the key is delivering a meaty wallop. The combination of 14 ounces of fresh ribeye and Cooper Sharp sauce makes their steak among the juiciest of all the new cheesesteaks. It threatens to overwhelm even a famously hearty Sarcone’s roll. 

“That juice? That is juice from the meat. That’s the good stuff,” he said.

Each sandwich is cooked only to order, says Weintraub. And they don’t annihilate the meat on the grill. 

The Meatheadz steak is a meaty, cheesy mess of a thing. It is wet as an otter’s pocket, frankly a ridiculous thing — and I’ll drive nearly an hour to eat it with anyone who asks.

Ochinili’s Steaks
    The ham hoagie and three cheesesteaks are featured at Ochinili's Steaks in Middletown, Thursday, June 22, 2023. Ochinili's, Delaware's best representative of a new school of steaks in Philly with hard seeded rolls, tons of ribeye meat, and Cooper Sharp cheese, is owned by husband and wife Sie and Laurel Saunders.
    428 E. Main St, Middletown, Delaware, 302-696-2028, facebook.com/Ochinilis. Closed Monday.

Our favorite new-school Delaware entrant is the product of homesickness.

Philly native Sie Saunders ate at nearly every cheesesteak spot in northern Delaware, but none had the exact flavor in his head: Cooper Sharp, generous meat, seeded rolls full of character. The steaks he and wife Laurel found on trips to Angelo’s in Philadelphia. (Although heads-up for old heads in Delaware: Classic shop Ioannoni’s in New Castle newly offers seeded rolls and Cooper Sharp, on request.)

So, the couple figured they’d become the change they wanted to see in the world. Burned out working long hours as a nurse during the pandemic, Laurel quit her job and made their shared love of cheesesteaks into a career. They opened in December, naming the shop after a nickname for their son. 

Order basic, and Ochinili’s offers an admirable new-school steak with seeded Liscio’s, ribeye and Cooper Sharp. But the game-changer here is the variations, in particular a “West Philly” steak that subs out basic fried onions for crispy onion straws the restaurant makes in-house each morning. 

Meanwhile, the Liberty Bell Patel, named for (and spiced by) a family friend, incorporates earthy Indian spice, green chilies and a garlic ginger sauce. The North and West Philly specialties of salmon cheesesteaks, fish hoagies and cheesesteak egg rolls likewise make appearances on the menu.

More:In North Philly and beyond, salmon is the new cheesesteak. But don't tell South Philly

On a recent visit just an hour before closing, the mini-mall steak shop looked like a voting precinct on Election Day — filled with customers of every age, and every walk of life. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    I still love that Angelo's gets so much pub.  They really are nice people and I'm happy it all happened for them
    Steaks are delicious (pretty much all Sammies there are) but the pizza is even better, imo

• Options
    Delco Steaks not making this list is suspect
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Can't say I have ever had a bad cheesesteak in Philly. In New York, yes, but Philly no.
  • Options
    I ordered one with "chopped cherry peppers" and they chopped up the stem and stuck it in my cheesesteak and I haven't been back.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    Not too many really good cheesesteak places near me (least that I know of i n Chester County). Might have to do some research and find a decent place that is somewhat close by. :confounded:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I ordered one with "chopped cherry peppers" and they chopped up the stem and stuck it in my cheesesteak and I haven't been back.
    You should give them another chance. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    What type of cheese is cooper sharp? I m thinking cheddar for some reason.  Or is cooper the type of cheese? Whatever it is, we don’t have it around here. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    It's basically American. It's perfect on a cheesesteak.
  • Options
    You should give them another chance. 
    I will. I went there a bunch of times. Definitely a really good steak.

• Options
    Yeah it is American-ish.
    Never had it before moving to this area.
  • Options
    I still like provolone, but yeah that Angelo's cheesesteak is killer.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    What type of cheese is cooper sharp? I m thinking cheddar for some reason.  Or is cooper the type of cheese? Whatever it is, we don’t have it around here. 
    Yeah, I never heard of Cooper Sharp.
  • Options
    So, who has been to any of those places and had a cheesetseak? 

If so, which one's and how were they?

I haven't been to any of them, but I live close to some and I'm close to Lilo's Tomato Pie. I've heard how good their cheesteaks are, and Tomato Pies too. 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    I’ve only been to Angelo’s and it’s the undisputed GOAT in my book. The Cooper Sharp is great, but I prefer their house made long hot wiz.

I’m going to have to give Cafe Carmela a shot here soon though. 
  • Options
    Yeah Angelo's is local so have been there but all these other places never even heard of. My contention has always been that as long as you draw a 50 mile circle around Philly you'll find a decent cheesesteak. 
  • Options
    Angelo's is only one I've been to but there are two that are not far from me in Jersey.  Will report back if/when try.
  • Options
    Curly's is fantastic...though I think they actually use too much meat. It is an enormous undertaking to eat that thing. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Somewhere on our travels one of the kids said they wanted a "Philly Cheesesteak" and we said no don't bother you won't like it.

• Options
    Mama's Meatballs....very strong.  Burnt my fucking tongue as I didn't wait.  :lol:

Kid got the meatball sub and that was good as well.  (We only ate half)

• Options
    Mama's Meatballs....very strong.  Burnt my fucking tongue as I didn't wait.  :lol:

Kid got the meatball sub and that was good as well.  (We only ate half)

That cheesteak looks really good. Nice size?(at least by the picture)

Mama's Meatballs is on that list. 9 more to go for you? 
  • Options
    Yes half filled me up.
    Angelo's and Mama's. 
    A few others are close by and will try them at some point.
  • Options
    Also / they had shirts that had Got Balls? printed on the front.   :lol: