Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    dudeman said:
    I'm loving the 2275 so much, I'm considering selling my 2245. That's something I never thought I'd do. 

CDs, records, FM radio.....it doesn't matter. Everything just sounds "right" with that thing. 

The only thing I might consider adding is a standalone CD recorder. Those seem to be increasingly difficult to find in good shape, though. 
    What do you mean by a cd recorder?
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    I'm loving the 2275 so much, I'm considering selling my 2245. That's something I never thought I'd do. 

CDs, records, FM radio.....it doesn't matter. Everything just sounds "right" with that thing. 

The only thing I might consider adding is a standalone CD recorder. Those seem to be increasingly difficult to find in good shape, though. 
    What do you mean by a cd recorder?
    They are stereo components, usually look like a single disc CD player but they record the input signal to CDs.

Not terribly common or popular anymore. The idea is to be able to record vinyl albums on to CDs for playing in a car, for example. 

Modern tech has pretty much rendered them obsolete. I just like the idea of being able to make recordings, insert track numbers and such, without having to use a computer. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    she's in for service.... 8-10 weeks
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Probably a good call having it checked out. Those units are totally worth preserving and hearing it revived should be a good experience.
    edited March 2023
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Probably a good call having it checked out. Those units are totally worth preserving and hearing it revived should be a good experience.

assume it was the shop owner, marantz guy, was excited to see it.

general cleaning, testing of all circuits, upgrade to cool blue led, repair or replace headphone jack, possible replacement of speaker relay.

asked what I paid. semed surprised, said its what he considers retail for that model. 

He had a 2230 refurbed for sale at 625? maybe 675. That was the receiver actively playing music in the shop. Amongst prob 15 others on that side of the store. Sounded fantastic.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

general cleaning, testing of all circuits, upgrade to cool blue led, repair or replace headphone jack, possible replacement of speaker relay.

asked what I paid. semed surprised, said its what he considers retail for that model. 

He had a 2230 refurbed for sale at 625? maybe 675. That was the receiver actively playing music in the shop. Amongst prob 15 others on that side of the store. Sounded fantastic.....
    That's awesome!

There is just something about those Marantz'. I never seem to get tired of listening to them. Pretty amazing to be running electronic gear that predates myself, too!

They really knew how to build stuff to last back then. 
    edited March 2023
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's awesome!

There is just something about those Marantz'. I never seem to get tired of listening to them. Pretty amazing to be running electronic gear that predates myself, too!

predates? wtf. thanks for making feel or reminding me how old I actually am. My unit built 6-3-1977. I would turn 9 the following month.. I was already really jazzed about its sound pre- tune up. cannot wait til , well june 3rd marks 10 weeks....
    cruising through audiokarma. ran across a dudeman7 thread. that you?

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's awesome!

predates? wtf. thanks for making feel or reminding me how old I actually am. My unit built 6-3-1977. I would turn 8 the following month.. I was already really jazzed about its sound pre- tune up. cannot wait til , well june 3rd marks 10 weeks....
    haha. Mine is dated 1971 on the back and I was born at the end of 72.  
    edited March 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's awesome!

predates? wtf. thanks for making feel or reminding me how old I actually am. My unit built 6-3-1977. I would turn 8 the following month.. I was already really jazzed about its sound pre- tune up. cannot wait til , well june 3rd marks 10 weeks....

actually would turn 9 in July of that year.  Reading threads on audiokarma and am anxious for this to get done. I WANT IT NOW!!!!!! Sooo looking forward to spinning some of my shit. Just did Rush Time Machine through the Onkyo. Geddy's monster fucking bass would absolutely soar through the 2275

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's awesome!

actually would turn 9 in July of that year.  Reading threads on audiokarma and am anxious for this to get done. I WANT IT NOW!!!!!! Sooo looking forward to spinning some of my shit. Just did Rush Time Machine through the Onkyo. Geddy's monster fucking bass would absolutely soar through the 2275
    The waiting sucks, for sure. I'm really excited for you to get your 2275 back. That is one seriously magical piece of equipment. 
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's awesome!

The waiting sucks, for sure. I'm really excited for you to get your 2275 back. That is one seriously magical piece of equipment. 
    I don't know if this is factually true, maybe you do.  But I was talking to my local high end retailer last week and I was telling him that, for the most part, when I switch between the Marantz and the Mcintosh, I can't tell much of a difference.  The sound signature is very similar.  It is world's apart from the old Pioneer as an example.  He said that the early 22xx's were still designed by Saul Marantz and that they had a sound like the Mcs.  I guess I couldn't really argue that, but have you hear people describe it that way before?
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's awesome!

I don't know if this is factually true, maybe you do.  But I was talking to my local high end retailer last week and I was telling him that, for the most part, when I switch between the Marantz and the Mcintosh, I can't tell much of a difference.  The sound signature is very similar.  It is world's apart from the old Pioneer as an example.  He said that the early 22xx's were still designed by Saul Marantz and that they had a sound like the Mcs.  I guess I couldn't really argue that, but have you hear people describe it that way before?
    Definitely. Around here, Marantz is commonly referred to as the "Poor Man's McIntosh".

Strictly speaking of solid state power amplifiers, a properly designed amp should allow the input signal to sound the same at the output side, only louder. In other words, an amp should not color the sound on its own. 

We all know from experience that most, if not all amps add their own signature, but it should be subtle. Not at all as dramatic a change as swapping speakers, for example. 

So, to compare amplifiers from reputable companies with skilled engineers, I would expect that they would sound pretty similar. 

Preamps and sources? Totally different story. In my experience, much of the signature sound of say, Marantz, Sansui and Pioneer comes from the preamp topology and the tone stacks that each of them use.

One of the coolest things about the Marantz 2275 is that you can remove the tone controls from the circuit with a switch on the front panel. The difference between the two settings is pretty drastic, even with the controls set flat. 
    I agree the amp stage should be neutral.  It's about clean power.  I may end up selling my mcintosh solid state amp and replace it with a tube amp, keeping my existing preamp. I think at that point I will have very different sounds between the Marantz and Mc. 

To further your point, at one time I did a test where I just used the Marantz as a pre amp, and connected it to a Parasound Halo amplifier I have.  I could not hear a difference between using the Marantz amp and the Halo.  So the sound sig is in the pre-amp I'm sure.  
    edited March 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree the amp stage should be neutral.  It's about clean power.  I may end up selling my mcintosh solid state amp and replace it with a tube amp, keeping my existing preamp. I think at that point I will have very different sounds between the Marantz and Mc. 

To further your point, at one time I did a test where I just used the Marantz as a pre amp, and connected it to a Parasound Halo amplifier I have.  I could not hear a difference between using the Marantz amp and the Halo.  So the sound sig is in the pre-amp I'm sure.  
    For sure.

Aside from frequency response and S/N ratio, damping factor and slew rate are important metrics for amps, especially if you're playing them loud or pushing a lot of low end.

Tube amps aren't necessarily great at reproducing loud transients or recovering quickly from heavy bass hits without distortion, but that distortion (sag) is usually pleasing to the listener.

Having a good solid state and a good tube rig should give you the best that each has to offer.

I'm excited to see what you end up with!
    Post edited by dudeman on
    One of the best things I've come across for good, vinyl sound quality is a record cleaning machine. I picked up a busted Record Doctor, got it running and I've been going through my collection with it.

I had records that were noisy from day one and that thing has actually made them enjoyable. Some of the older pressings that hadn't been taken care of very well were pretty much unlistenable. After a good vacuum cleaning with that machine, most all of them are sounding pretty good! Of course it won't repair damage but it gets all kinds of shit out of those grooves.

I'm sure some of you already know about these things. As a recent convert to RCMs, I have to say that I'm impressed. Just wish I had found out sooner!
    dudeman said:
    One of the best things I've come across for good, vinyl sound quality is a record cleaning machine. I picked up a busted Record Doctor, got it running and I've been going through my collection with it.

I had records that were noisy from day one and that thing has actually made them enjoyable. Some of the older pressings that hadn't been taken care of very well were pretty much unlistenable. After a good vacuum cleaning with that machine, most all of them are sounding pretty good! Of course it won't repair damage but it gets all kinds of shit out of those grooves.

I'm sure some of you already know about these things. As a recent convert to RCMs, I have to say that I'm impressed. Just wish I had found out sooner!
    My wife bought me an Okki Nokki about a decade ago and it is great.  It's a must have if you collect older copies.  If you only buy new,  you can get away with the hand method,  that works.  But older vinyl needs vacuuming.  Totally agree. 

mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

My wife bought me an Okki Nokki about a decade ago and it is great.  It's a must have if you collect older copies.  If you only buy new,  you can get away with the hand method,  that works.  But older vinyl needs vacuuming.  Totally agree. 

I'm getting in the habit of cleaning EVERYTHING, new and old. Haha

A lot of the new records I've bought have debris from the plant on them. Paper particles, fingerprints and release agents seem to be included in the price.
    Is it mid May yet?

mickeyrat said:
    Is it mid May yet?
    Any day now. Hang in there, man! It will be worth the wait. 
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 595
    edited March 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    Every few years I get antsy and start tinkering.  Today I made a change.  I've been collecting gear for 20+ years and sometimes it sits. In this case,  my Poineer sx750 has been in a closet for several years.  My Marantz has been on the 3rd floor where I used to hang out when my kids were young.  Two are out of the house now,  so I hadn't used the Marantz in months.  
    So then I had an epiphany.  I decided to insert this little amp  selector into the chain.  It allows 2 amps to connect to one (or two) sets of speakers.  And fortunately my phono stage has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. 
    So now I can choose whether to listen to the more refined,  neutral and revealing McIntosh setup, or the looser and warmer Marantz. The latter is better for records that may not be as well engineered or pressed.  
    Got it all up and running today and enjoying the Marantz again.  
    I also put the Pioneer up on the third floor and it's connected to my Pro-ject and some big B&W towers.  So nice to have that drier sound again too! 

Pics..

Awesome setup you’ve got there and a great idea with that amp/speaker splitter unit. 

I’m an occasional lurker in this part of the forum and really enjoy it. 

I’m  finally taking the plunge to post up a few acquisitions I’ve made in the last couple of years.  I’ve  picked up a Pioneer SA-8500 Mk2 Int. Amp and a TX-9500 Tuner both in really good condition. Both sound great, what an awesome tuner. 

In between picking up those 2 pieces while not really looking I happened upon a Sansui 881 Receiver at a vintage audio shop. Great condition also so I looked up a few reviews and ended up bringing it home. Does it ever kick ass.Before purchasing  I checked the reviews on Hifi Engine. I think the 15 reviews gave it 5 stars, one guy  referring to his unit as the Beast which is appropriate. 63W aside but I don’t often turn it up past 9 o’clock. For speakers I’ve 
    got a pair of Paradigm 9se Mk2’s which I bought new in ‘92 along with a Rotel 960 Amp and a Preamp/Tuner. My Turntable is a Yamaha YP-801 which  I bought years ago.
    DJ253147 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Every few years I get antsy and start tinkering.  Today I made a change.  I've been collecting gear for 20+ years and sometimes it sits. In this case,  my Poineer sx750 has been in a closet for several years.  My Marantz has been on the 3rd floor where I used to hang out when my kids were young.  Two are out of the house now,  so I hadn't used the Marantz in months.  
    So then I had an epiphany.  I decided to insert this little amp  selector into the chain.  It allows 2 amps to connect to one (or two) sets of speakers.  And fortunately my phono stage has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. 
    So now I can choose whether to listen to the more refined,  neutral and revealing McIntosh setup, or the looser and warmer Marantz. The latter is better for records that may not be as well engineered or pressed.  
    I also put the Pioneer up on the third floor and it's connected to my Pro-ject and some big B&W towers.  So nice to have that drier sound again too! 

Pics..

Awesome setup you’ve got there and a great idea with that amp/speaker splitter unit. 

I’m  finally taking the plunge to post up a few acquisitions I’ve made in the last couple of years.  I’ve  picked up a Pioneer SA-8500 Mk2 Int. Amp and a TX-9500 Tuner both in really good condition. Both sound great, what an awesome tuner. 

In between picking up those 2 pieces while not really looking I happened upon a Sansui 881 Receiver at a vintage audio shop. Great condition also so I looked up a few reviews and ended up bringing it home. Does it ever kick ass.Before purchasing  I checked the reviews on Hifi Engine. I think the 15 reviews gave it 5 stars, one guy  referring to his unit as the Beast which is appropriate. 63W aside but I don’t often turn it up past 9 o’clock. For speakers I’ve 
    got a pair of Paradigm 9se Mk2’s which I bought new in ‘92 along with a Rotel 960 Amp and a Preamp/Tuner. My Turntable is a Yamaha YP-801 which  I bought years ago.
    I'm surprised we don't have more people around here with Sansui's.  They have a strong following and people that have them, love them.  The guy I bought both the Marantz and Pioneer has a whole room full of vintage gear, mostly Mcintosh.  But the system he uses for himself was a Sansui G9000.  It was an impressive piece of gear.  

I'm sure yours sounds great too.  It's a very reputable piece of equipment.  I'm also a huge fan of Paradigm speakers.  I don't your model specifically, but it is good gear.  Rotel is also very good, and a great match for B&W.  Those two companies complemented each other for years.  
    DJ253147 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Pics..

It sounds like you have some awesome gear! Old Pioneer and Sansui stuff, especially their amps and receivers were very, very nice.

I'd love to have one of those Yamaha turntables too.

Well done
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Is it mid May yet?
    Any day now. Hang in there, man! It will be worth the wait. 

annnnnd my black faceplate arrived today......

are you sure it isnt May?

edited March 2023
    Oh man!

It's hard to tell in the photo of your 2275 but is the case black metal or brown woodgrain-looking metal? 

Also, are you looking for a wood case for it?
    dudeman said:
    Oh man!

It's hard to tell in the photo of your 2275 but is the case black metal or brown woodgrain-looking metal? 

Black case. Imperfect at this point. No dents or anything like that but some spots where the paint was chipped or something. Like these white spots in places on the top.

And yes, a woodcase has been considered. Question is do I search and pay up for an original or buy from the vintage hifi place that does custom cases in a variety of wood choices? Ash, Cherry or Walnut. Along with some exotic woods and more expensive as you might expect. New replicas seem to be priced the same as the originals are going for.

I think at some point I will get a case as I will be transferring the 1228 and the 1257 Duals I have into wood bases and get rid of that plastic they sit in now.

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    Oh man!

Black case. Imperfect at this point. No dents or anything like that but some spots where the paint was chipped or something. Like these white spots in places on the top.

And yes, a woodcase has been considered. Question is do I search and pay up for an original or buy from the vintage hifi place that does custom cases in a variety of wood choices? Ash, Cherry or Walnut. Along with some exotic woods and more expensive as you might expect. New replicas seem to be priced the same as the originals are going for.

I think at some point I will get a case as I will be transferring the 1228 and the 1257 Duals I have into wood bases and get rid of that plastic they sit in now.
    They certainly look good in wood! Classic look, for sure. The prices are pretty crazy whether you go old or new. I have an old WC-22 that fits my 2245 and 2275. The guy I got it from attempted to repair a couple spots where the veneer was damaged and he did a piss poor job of matching it up. I  might end up painting it or selling it. 

I'm pretty sure @mrussel1 painted the metal case when he blackfaced his Marantz. Looks good in the pictures! Hopefully he can describe his process here.

Also, if I were going to wood case a Marantz, I would probably take the metal cover off, just for cooling purposes. 

I think when it gets warmer outside, I'm going to paint the metal covers on my 2215b and 2275. Right now, one is brown and the other is black and the one on the 2275 has a couple discolored spots. Can't really see either of the cases when they're in the rack but knowing that they are different still bugs me a little. 
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    Oh man!

They certainly look good in wood! Classic look, for sure. The prices are pretty crazy whether you go old or new. I have an old WC-22 that fits my 2245 and 2275. The guy I got it from attempted to repair a couple spots where the veneer was damaged and he did a piss poor job of matching it up. I  might end up painting it or selling it. 

I'm pretty sure @mrussel1 painted the metal case when he blackfaced his Marantz. Looks good in the pictures! Hopefully he can describe his process here.

Also, if I were going to wood case a Marantz, I would probably take the metal cover off, just for cooling purposes. 

I think when it gets warmer outside, I'm going to paint the metal covers on my 2215b and 2275. Right now, one is brown and the other is black and the one on the 2275 has a couple discolored spots. Can't really see either of the cases when they're in the rack but knowing that they are different still bugs me a little. 

well I think it will come down to how much the repairs come in at that will determine how soon I persue a case.

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    Oh man!

well I think it will come down to how much the repairs come in at that will determine how soon I persue a case.
    Sounds fair. At least you have options these days. The reproductions are a relatively recent thing. Maybe the last 10 years or so?

You used to either have to track down an original or build your own. I have thought about building one for each of my receivers but I always talk myself out of it. Personally, I don't think I would spend the money on a repro, even though they do look nice.

At the end of the day, I still like the look of them naked, especially since the wood cases make my receivers too big for my current rack.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell the one I have along with my 2245.
    edited March 2023
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    Oh man!

Sounds fair. At least you have options these days. The reproductions are a relatively recent thing. Maybe the last 10 years or so?

You used to either have to track down an original or build your own. I have thought about building one for each of my receivers but I always talk myself out of it. Personally, I don't think I would spend the money on a repro, even though they do look nice.

At the end of the day, I still like the look of them naked, especially since the wood cases make my receivers too big for my current rack.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell the one I have along with my 2245.

price on that? both as a package or seperate....

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    Oh man!

price on that? both as a package or seperate....
    Not sure yet. A buddy of mine is interested and he's trying to talk me into trading it for a guitar. 

I'll PM you details when I know more.