Richard Stuverud’s new album in the works. Features Jeff Ament

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,318

richard_stuverud
    Just like spring, my Looking Back To Look Ahead 7" Vinyl Single is just around the corner!
    This one features Kurt Bloch and Jeff Ament!
    Available on bandcamp and select record stores March 1.

(Video edit by Neal Walter)

I am super stoked to rock Sleight Of Hand Cellars coming up in a few weeks!
    Got a nice combo of tunes off some of my older releases as well as my new 7” and some bad ass Bad Scene numbers with Kurt and Al Bloch!
    Will be great to share the event with Robb Benson’s band Planets In The Ocean and it’ll be great to dedicate the night to Trey Busch for making it all happen!

Promo video for new 7" Vinyl Single
    LOOKING BACK TO LOOK AHEAD/ RICHARD STUVERUD

Proud to announce the release of my latest 7" Single Looking Back To Look Ahead
    b/w Longing For It available now on bandcamp!
    This is an exclusive vinyl release with digital downloads to follow soon.
    Visit the bandcamp link below and order something to warm up your turntable! (summer isn't here yet:)
    Big love and thank you for the support!
    RS
    (Video edit by Neal Walter)

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122

A few days ago, Stuverud recorded with Ament 10 songs in 2 days at the Singing Serpent Studios in San Diego.

For now we don’t know what these songs will be used for: it could be a new solo album by Ament, some demos for the new Pearl Jam album or some other Jeff’s side project. A true mystery, as there are no certain informations about these songs’ purpose.

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
     LOOKING BACK TO LOOK AHEAD by Richard Stuverud

When I wrote Looking Back To Look Ahead, I was embracing the idea of being nostalgic about the past as a way to find some hope for the future again.
    I reminisced about the days of riding skateboards and playing punk rock clubs in Seattle and Vancouver B.C. in the early 80's.
    As I was tracking drums for Jeff Ament's solo work in Missoula, Mt, which happened to be a session that dated back to 2004, I was also able to track some of my own ideas while Jeff would run some errands in town. I had recorded a scratch guitar part, rough vocals and drums to get started on the tune you're listening to now.
    When Jeff returned, he liked what he heard, layed down guitar and bass to fill out the new tune.
    Always so grateful to record with Ament, I felt some extra gratitude to be able to get this tune of mine started.
    For one reason or another, it ended up sitting on the shelf for awhile as I wasn't sure of where the song was going.
    When I finally decided to dust off the tune, while focusing in on the vocals, the lyrics conjured up more memories, especially with the line, "hanging out at punk rock dives." I instantly thought of the times the Fastbacks would play the infamous Smiling Buddha bar in Vancouver B.C, many times opening for D.O.A.
    So I decided to send this unfinished song to Kurt Bloch to see what he would come up with for extra guitars.
    One day later he sent back some of the most righteous guitar parts that were so unexpected and unique which was pure genius!
    Looking Back To Look Ahead was now looking up!!
    I added a little back up vocal, threw some synth on it, mixed and mastered the track in Oakland, and here ya have it!

I'm happy to have given this thing some extra life and release it from the archives.

Listening back to Looking Back To Look Ahead helps me to embrace the present moment, where nostalgia and the future now feels like one.

Happy listening!
    And I hope you enjoy the tune here, now and tomorrow!

ps  .. it's Bandcamp Friday! They wave their cut of all sales today. If you haven't picked up any goodies from Richard, do so today.
    Richard Stuverud Enlists Pearl Jam, Fastbacks Members On New Single
    ‘Looking Back to Looking Ahead’ b/w ‘Longing for It’ is out today (March 3)

richard_stuverud

I am super stoked to be performing at Easy Street Records this coming Saturday, March 11th 6pm to celebrate the release of my latest single!
    Drop on by if you’re in the hood.
    A nice and early way to start your night!
    I cannot wait Seattle!!

When I look back at the writing and the recording of Looking Back To Look Ahead, it’s a solid reminder to get as much music that’s sitting on the shelf out there….within reason.
    There can be some sonic nothing burgers at times, so a discerning ear from the subjective to the objective reality is in order.
    As there are good reasons why songs are shelved for one reason or another, I'm glad I dusted this one off.
    When Ament and I had tracked everything we could on this song before the end of the session, I knew it needed a few more elements to feel like it was finished. I'd have to take the rough mix of drums, vocals, Jeff's guitar and bass tracks and figure out what else was needed.
    One thing that made me smile upon listening to the early recorded form of this song is the bridge/solo part. Jeff helped me construct where the accents should go on the breakdown before the solo. And due to my occasional lack of impulse control when recording vocals, I randomly happened to make the sound of a huge bong hit into the mic. (I've been known to make sounds of chainsaws and motorcycles over the years btw:)
    I think because the song was capturing some long lost youth concept wise, making a bong toke impression seemed to be the thing to do. The song was still pretty naked at this point, and when that part of the tune came around, it'd make me chuckle a bit.
    By the time I sent the song to Kurt Bloch asking him to do his best Kurt Bloch guitar solo, he sent back this totally rad, Thin Lizzy, Eddie Van Halen inspired solo that still resonated full on Kurt Bloch!
    Now the song that was about skateboarding and hanging out at punk rock dives had wheels!
    In the mixing phase, I decided to bring down the bong part as to be more of a subliminal thing. I didn't want the bong hit solo to compete with the guitar solo. (hierarchy of sound is important:)
    So there ya have it!
    Take a big toke and get this baby while it's hot!
    Available on Vinyl and digital.
    Visit:

Bad Scene/ Rehearsal Good!!

richard_stuverud

Happy Birthday Jeff Ament!
    To the highest for the master of the
    Low, Lower, Lowest!!

Looking Back to Look Ahead Single Art
    New Single: "Looking Back To Look Ahead"
    Check out the new single by Richard Stuverud recorded with Jeff Ament & Kurt Bloch. Available on vinyl and digital.

GET IT HERE

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    demetrios said:

Jeff in the house! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14

Bad Scene + Jeff Ament covering “Why Can’t I Touch It” 3/11/23 @ Easy Street Records West Seattle

• treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    This so neat two sideprojects in town Jamming 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19

demetrios said:
    Bad Scene + Jeff Ament covering “Why Can’t I Touch It” 3/11/23 @ Easy Street Records West Seattle

So cool! :peace:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

Pap said:
    demetrios said:

So cool! :peace:

Indeed! :) 
    Stuverud/Ament & a Buzzcocks classic!

I am still reeling in on the great feeling it was to rock the Seattle shows with Bad Scene, and guests Jeff Ament & Duff McKagan.
    Thank you to all who came out to Sleight Of Hand Cellars, Easy Street Records and Slim’s!
    It was quite amazing to see so many that I haven’t seen in 40 years! (The Mrs Bill Larsen’s:)
    Big love to you all!
    Let’s do this again sometime.

(Pic by Trey B)

More Bad Scenes,
    Though the lens of Trey Busch.
    Thank you Trey!

^ Nice shots! :plus_one:

richard_stuverud
    Hello Mods and Rockers!!

I’ve got 12” & 7” signed records for your table that turns!
    I’ll throw in some free CD’s with a vinyl order via bandcamp! And if streaming is your thing, check out the rest of my offerings! Totally grateful for your support!!
    Big love!

Happy day of Mike!
    Wishing this dude the happiest of birthdays
    Such an awesome person and killer guitarist!

(Sound check Fresno)

edited April 2023
    Post edited by demetrios on