Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    look to bring this home tomorrow morning.... I hope.
    Congratulations! Excellent piece of equipment. 
    @mickeyrat - some advice on that facelift.  It's not hard to do, but be careful when you pulll the black subface from the silver face.  It will be glued on and feel delicate.  I was very worried about cracking it.  Probably need an e-xacto knife to cut the glue so you don't damage anything.  I'd also clean the pots and the stem? that the knob is connected to while you have it open like that.  At least that's what I did when doing the facelift.  The whole thing was a little delicate but not unreasonable.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited March 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    look to bring this home tomorrow morning.... I hope.
    Congratulations! Excellent piece of equipment. 
    @mickeyrat - some advice on that facelift.  It's not hard to do, but be careful when you pulll the black subface from the silver face.  It will be glued on and feel delicate.  I was very worried about cracking it.  Probably need an e-xacto knife to cut the glue so you don't damage anything.  I'd also clean the pots and the stem? that the knob is connected to while you have it open like that.  At least that's what I did when doing the facelift.  The whole thing was a little delicate but not unreasonable.  

copy. will be downloading and printing the manuals from hifiengine.

this is an adbook marketplace find. pawn shop listed in alliance. spoke to them this afternoon and they are setting it back for me. asking 1295 , will offer 1100. heres hoping they take it. regardless its coming home with me.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    so @dudeman @mrussel1 what do you use for antennas . period style correct or modern applications?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I have an amplified antenna from Radio Shack that I used to use. It worked very well with my 2245, which has a pretty capable tuner.

Since I don't really listen to the radio at home much anymore, I don't even have an antenna connected now.

The tuner on your impending 2275 is really good so you could probably use anything from a length of wire to a sophisticated electronic antenna and pull in a lot of stations.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mickeyrat said:
    so @dudeman @mrussel1 what do you use for antennas . period style correct or modern applications?
    I put a modern one on, but I never use it.  Our radio stations here suck.  
    mickeyrat said:
    Just for the hell of it, I dug out my old antenna and hooked it up to my 2275. 

Even in the basement of my home, it pulls in and locks on to a good number of radio stations. 

The one I have is from the mid 90's and it wasn't a fancy or expensive model. I'm pretty sure that you'll get decent results from just about anything you can find.
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Just for the hell of it, I dug out my old antenna and hooked it up to my 2275. 

Even in the basement of my home, it pulls in and locks on to a good number of radio stations. 

The one I have is from the mid 90's and it wasn't a fancy or expensive model. I'm pretty sure that you'll get decent results from just about anything you can find.
    thank you sir.

dammit chase. delayed a day. lessened the available amount from my profit sharing deposit.

just as well. will be rested for the drive tomorrow.

mickeyrat said:
    dammit chase. delayed a day. lessened the available amount from my profit sharing deposit.

just as well. will be rested for the drive tomorrow.
    Bummer! I'm sure that once you've got everything all set up and enjoying great music in your home, the delays and hassles will be pretty far out of mind. 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    New turntable update. Technics SL-1500C, with an upgraded Audio Technica VM760SLC Dual MM phono cartridge. It replaces my reliable Music Hall 2.2 MMF. So far, I'm loving it!

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    New turntable update. Technics SL-1500C, with an upgraded Audio Technica VM760SLC Dual MM phono cartridge. It replaces my reliable Music Hall 2.2 MMF. So far, I'm loving it!

Very cool! Excellent cartridge choice too.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    LB260405 said:
    @mookieblalock Did you get the PM8006? I am looking to upgrade to this model and would like to get your opinion. The all-analog nature of this integrated amp is appealing, and I'd like to know how the phono stage sounds with your turntable. It's getting hard to find an integrated amp without all the bells and whistles these days (DACs and streamers that will be outdated tomorrow -- blah). This one looks like a winner to me. Let me know. Thanks.
    I ended spending a little more and went with the Yamaha A-S1200. 
    $1100 +tax..... $1171 out the door.

new owner of a marantz 2275

mickeyrat said:

Congrats!!  You'll love it. 

mickeyrat said:

Very cool! That's the favorite of all the vintage receivers I've owned, Marantz or otherwise. 

Looking forward to pics and your impressions!
    edited March 2023
    needs a thorough going through for sure. but it makes sound. decent sound at very low volume to boot.

Minor dirt or rust showing in the grain of the face. some rust on some screws in the back as well. what I can see through the top grill shows dirty.

good color in the radio dial(wheel needs adjusted itself). lamps on the meters need replaced. balance slider "feels" dirty internally when sliding.

now I need to decide, do I do it or just take it to a local spot that works on vintage. 8-10 week lead time there.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    needs a thorough going through for sure. but it makes sound. decent sound at very low volume to boot.

Minor rust showing in the grain of the face. some on some screws in the back as well. what I can see through the top grill shows dirty.

now I need to decide, do I do it or just take it to a local spot that works on vintage. 8-10 week lead time there.....
    If it just needs a little cleaning, blowing out the dust, cleaning the pots, you should be able to do that easily.  There are a fair amount of videos online showing you how to do it.  If it needs actual work, that's a different matter.  But for the price you paid, you should expect everything to work.  However, the deoxit can fix a lot of problems caused by time, cleaning all of the contacts. 
    edited March 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Minor rust showing in the grain of the face. some on some screws in the back as well. what I can see through the top grill shows dirty.

If it just needs a little cleaning, blowing out the dust, cleaning the pots, you should be able to do that easily.  There are a fair amount of videos online showing you how to do it.  If it needs actual work, that's a different matter.  But for the price you paid, you should expect everything to work.  However, the deoxit can fix a lot of problems caused by time, cleaning all of the contacts. 

youtube here I come. reading owners manual download now.
    some of the knobs were out of position. fixed those,  volume and source.

listening to the purple target version of TEN right now .

will be switching to og aja I think next. of the era and my copy is in very good to near mint condition.

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

will be switching to og aja I think next. of the era and my copy is in very good to near mint condition.

OG Aja is so wonderful.. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

OG Aja is so wonderful.. 

Record needs a good cleaning but damn this sounds good......

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

OG Aja is so wonderful.. 

You can tell a difference against your previous receiver?
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

OG Aja is so wonderful.. 

You can tell a difference against your previous receiver?

need to try and a/b it. wasnt and am still not dissatisfied with the onkyo. Its solid. moving into another area of the house. specifically the basement where I am setting up a little workshop of sorts.

Downside to the 2275 is there is no remote for volume like the onkyo has....

exterior cleaned up pretty good especially the faceplate. just dirt in the grain. . Need to replace the headphone jack. threaded stem broke off behind the faceplate/nut.tried super glue. no go. couple of the knobs are sketchy , plastic innards serated from the chrome outers. compressed air blew a bunch of gathered dust out. especially on the bottom.
    I sprayed deoxit where I could in the pots. didnt delve far enough in to gain full access. Do think I will take it in to have a thorough test and clean. Think the speaker relay needs clean as well.

Hooked back up with Dual 1228 and Onkyo 6 disc changer.

spinning Lanegan - whiskey for the holy ghost. definite step up. can hear that quite clearly with his baritone. loudness on , tone controls all at 12 o'clock.

mickeyrat said:
    exterior cleaned up pretty good especially the faceplate. just dirt in the grain. . Need to replace the headphone jack. threaded stem broke off behind the faceplate/nut.tried super glue. no go. couple of the knobs are sketchy , plastic innards serated from the chrome outers. compressed air blew a bunch of gathered dust out. especially on the bottom.
    I sprayed deoxit where I could in the pots. didnt delve far enough in to gain full access. Do think I will take it in to have a thorough test and clean. Think the speaker relay needs clean as well.

spinning Lanegan - whiskey for the holy ghost. definite step up. can hear that quite clearly with his baritone. loudness on , tone controls all at 12 o'clock.
    None of those issues sound too difficult to sort out. Probably a good idea to have it checked out anyway, even if you don't go for a full restoration. 

Power supply caps, relay, cleaning up all of the switches, pots and jacks and setting the DC offset and idle current would be a good place to start. If you're a radio listener, aligning the tuner, too.

It sounds like a lot of stuff to do but it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. 
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

None of those issues sound too difficult to sort out. Probably a good idea to have it checked out anyway, even if you don't go for a full restoration. 

Power supply caps, relay, cleaning up all of the switches, pots and jacks and setting the DC offset and idle current would be a good place to start. If you're a radio listener, aligning the tuner, too.

It sounds like a lot of stuff to do but it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. 

am good with that.

Am noticing though it seems as if I can actually feel the vibrations of the music now , where I dont recall that sensation with the Onkyo. Same speakers, turntable. Volume knob at 9 o'clock just like I set it at on the Onkyo.

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

am good with that.

Am noticing though it seems as if I can actually feel the vibrations of the music now , where I dont recall that sensation with the Onkyo. Same speakers, turntable. Volume knob at 9 o'clock just like I set it at on the Onkyo.
    The Marantz likely has a higher current power amp than your Onkyo. Those massive caps and heavy transformer make a difference! Haha!

Also, since there is no consensus on appropriate volume knob positions between manufacturers, your new Marantz may be putting out more power than the Onkyo at the same knob position. 

Either way, I'm glad that you were able to find the 2275 and that you can enjoy it. 

When people describe the "Marantz Sound" as being warm, I feel like that is due to the way they push the lower midrange, making them seem fuller and richer than other amps. Maybe you're hearing that too?
    edited March 2023
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

am good with that.

The Marantz likely has a higher current power amp than your Onkyo. Those massive caps and heavy transformer make a difference! Haha!

Also, since there is no consensus on appropriate volume knob positions between manufacturers, your new Marantz may be putting out more power than the Onkyo at the same knob position. 

Either way, I'm glad that you were able to find the 2275 and that you can enjoy it. 

When people describe the "Marantz Sound" as being warm, I feel like that is due to the way they push the lower midrange, making them seem fuller and richer than other amps. Maybe you're hearing that too?

oh far and away richer and fuller. seems I am hearing more detail somehow? feels that way anyway.

currently spinning half speed master of Song Remains The Same. Of course who can REALLY tell from day to day the difference between components. Going to enjoy for the night and take it in tomorrow for repair/cleaning. be gone for 8-10 weeks.

I told my wife its your fault I got this (any Marantz really). Your post about your 2275 set me off on this path. In its way, its an amends to myself after all this time. Owned a hand me down 2238(?) once upon a time. Played the shit out of that thing then. Have no idea what happened to it. Thats what you get bouncing between places to stay when you are a drunk.  Last saw it in 93? Wouldnt get sober for another 13 yrs at that point. Now on the cusp of 17 yrs sober , it was time to rectify that lapse in judgement.......

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

am good with that.

oh far and away richer and fuller. seems I am hearing more detail somehow? feels that way anyway.

currently spinning half speed master of Song Remains The Same. Of course who can REALLY tell from day to day the difference between components. Going to enjoy for the night and take it in tomorrow for repair/cleaning. be gone for 8-10 weeks.

I told my wife its your fault I got this (any Marantz really). Your post about your 2275 set me off on this path. In its way, its an amends to myself after all this time. Owned a hand me down 2238(?) once upon a time. Played the shit out of that thing then. Have no idea what happened to it. Thats what you get bouncing between places to stay when you are a drunk.  Last saw it in 93? Wouldnt get sober for another 13 yrs at that point. Now on the cusp of 17 yrs sober , it was time to rectify that lapse in judgement.......

Good stuff all around.

Congratulations on the new stereo and the new lease on life with sobriety!

Also, I'll gladly take the blame for your stereo quest. Just tell your wife I said it was OK.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

am good with that.

Beautiful receiver and beautiful story!  
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    I'm loving the 2275 so much, I'm considering selling my 2245. That's something I never thought I'd do. 

CDs, records, FM radio.....it doesn't matter. Everything just sounds "right" with that thing. 

The only thing I might consider adding is a standalone CD recorder. Those seem to be increasingly difficult to find in good shape, though.