The Golf Thread

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    You guys really shouldn't bet guys to win prior to or during the first round of a golf tournament. There's just too many guys. And you don't get good odds when you're betting on the "stars" of the tour like Rahm, Rory, or JT. Starting last year around the U.S. Open, I began waiting until at least the third round (usually the fourth) before betting, and then try to grab someone that near the top of the leaderboard. And I've had great success with it. More success than I've had gambling in the past anyway. 

Take Rory for example. He's +3 right now as I type this and the leader is -7. People that bet on Rory will almost certainly lose. But not only that, people that bet on him didn't get very good odds to begin with because he's always one of the favorites. So what's the better bet? Betting on Thursday for someone like Rory to win the entire tournament? Or waiting until Sunday morning and grabbing the guy that's in like 2 or 3 strokes back. You'd probably get similar odds. Something in the +600 range maybe? But you'd only need the guy you bet on to have one good round, rather than four. 
    Schauffele is +3000 right now. You think you will have better odds on Sunday if he's in the mix?

No but you have a better chance of winning betting on him Sunday if he's in the mix than betting on him now. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    For the record, head to head, closest to pin, I find that stuff lots fun in golf and yeah, betting in the back half a tournament can be fun, especially if you had people that are out and it being a total wash
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    You guys really shouldn't bet guys to win prior to or during the first round of a golf tournament. There's just too many guys. And you don't get good odds when you're betting on the "stars" of the tour like Rahm, Rory, or JT. Starting last year around the U.S. Open, I began waiting until at least the third round (usually the fourth) before betting, and then try to grab someone that near the top of the leaderboard. And I've had great success with it. More success than I've had gambling in the past anyway. 

Take Rory for example. He's +3 right now as I type this and the leader is -7. People that bet on Rory will almost certainly lose. But not only that, people that bet on him didn't get very good odds to begin with because he's always one of the favorites. So what's the better bet? Betting on Thursday for someone like Rory to win the entire tournament? Or waiting until Sunday morning and grabbing the guy that's in like 2 or 3 strokes back. You'd probably get similar odds. Something in the +600 range maybe? But you'd only need the guy you bet on to have one good round, rather than four. 
    Schauffele is +3000 right now. You think you will have better odds on Sunday if he's in the mix?

No but you have a better chance of winning betting on him Sunday if he's in the mix than betting on him now. 
    Gotcha. I don't put a lot on these initial bets but then I also place more over the weekend as well. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited March 2023
    I like the live hole to hole stuff too...though its frustrating as youtube tv is always a little behind.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited March 2023
    I like the live hole to hole stuff too...though its frustrating as youtube tv is always a little behind.
    Same here on both fronts. 

You may not recall but it was actually your recommendation in one of these threads that got me to try YouTube TV and I absolutely love it. Small grievances like it being a little behind aside.

And NFL Sunday ticket is coming next season which should be awesome. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Same here on both fronts. 

You may not recall but it was actually your recommendation in one of these threads that got me to try YouTube TV and I absolutely love it. Small grievances like it being a little behind aside.

And NFL Sunday ticket is coming next season which should be awesome. 
    Nice.
    I am so excited for that. But they dropped MLB TV. Hoping it's added back before the season starts. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I have heard some pretty wild stuff about what YouTube is going to be doing with the NFL Ticket. It's going to be a pretty awesome product.
    I have heard some pretty wild stuff about what YouTube is going to be doing with the NFL Ticket. It's going to be a pretty awesome product.
    Cliff, please share with the rest of us. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hopefully the CBS games are in 4K. Last season, only the Fox games were. They looked amazing. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Hopefully the CBS games are in 4K. Last season, only the Fox games were. They looked amazing. 
    The 4K stuff is the only negative about youtube tv.  It's $20 a month and there is barely anything broadcast in 4K.  I got it for a month during the world cup because all of those games were in 4K but there's not enough on a regular basis to justify $20 per month.
    The 4K stuff is the only negative about youtube tv.  It's $20 a month and there is barely anything broadcast in 4K.  I got it for a month during the world cup because all of those games were in 4K but there's not enough on a regular basis to justify $20 per month.
    I agree. I paid that $20 for a few months assuming there'd be a lot more, but literally the NFL on FOX is only show I've watched in 4K. But hopefully with the entire NFL package coming, they find a way to make all the games 4K. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited March 2023
    From my understanding, might not (won’t) be year 1 especially for the more advanced stuff, but it is going to be extremely customizable. Multiple games on the screen at one time (ability to pick what game you’re listening to), ability to plug in fantasy lineups so it can keep track of things on screen and eventually even cut to games where your fantasy players are automatically when things happen. 

Similarly (and I repeat eventually) you’ll be able to have an eagles game as the biggest picture on the screen but then also have a smaller section (or sections) that bounces around to whatever you customize, when something happens in fantasy, when someone is in the red zone, when someone scores a td, etc. It is also my understanding that if nothing is happening that you customized that the main game you’re watching will be full screen, but if something happens, it will basically go Picture in Picture to show you 

Basically you’ll be able to automate whatever you want to watch 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    What a fucking shit day for Rory
    From my understanding, might not (won’t) be year 1 especially for the more advanced stuff, but it is going to be extremely customizable. Multiple games on the screen at one time (ability to pick what game you’re listening to), ability to plug in fantasy lineups so it can keep track of things on screen and eventually even cut to games where your fantasy players are automatically when things happen. 

Similarly (and I repeat eventually) you’ll be able to have an eagles game as the biggest picture on the screen but then also have a smaller section (or sections) that bounces around to whatever you customize, when something happens in fantasy, when someone is in the red zone, when someone scores a td, etc. It is also my understanding that if nothing is happening that you customized that the main game you’re watching will be full screen, but if something happens, it will basically go Picture in Picture to show you 

Basically you’ll be able to automate whatever you want to watch 
    Sweet
    Fancy
    Moses

chinese-happy.jpg
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    Rahm just WD.  Of course I've got him in my pool too. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Bummer, take out the winner and the Players would have been exciting.  Kinda like the Masters win he had.
    Yeah not a very entertaining final round.  Scheffler is obviously incredible, but he's just a boring guy.  Don't really get too excited when he wins.
    I don't understand how capping drives at 320 yards is going to make the game less enjoyable for fans.   If you are watching on tv you can't tell the difference between 320 and 340 yards.   Titleist made the statement that rolling back the ball would be detrimental to some players.  Would that imply the technology improvements have been detrimental to others?   The PGA Tour and manufacturers should have to subsidies golf course to make them longer and use more resources if they want to keep pushing the envelope on distance.  Technology is winning out over skill.

Quote from Bryson:  “I think it’s the most unimaginative, uninspiring, game-cutting thing you could do,” he said. “Everybody wants to see people hit it farther. That’s part of the reason why a lot of people like what I do; it’s part of the reason a lot of people don’t like what I do.

Sure folks like watching Bryson hit it that far, but the appreciation I think comes from the work he put in on his swing and his body, rather than technology getting him an extra 10 yards.

If anything for me, all the tech advances makes me less interested in the pro game.  I think all of these pros are complaining because they are paid by manufacturers for endorsements and they'll get more money likely if they play the same ball the manufacturer is  trying to sell.   I like Justin Thomas less and less every time he opens his mouth and speaks.  Back door win at the PGA last year. 
    A long drive is like a home run in baseball to me. It's cool, but not the best part of the sport. A crafty short game is like stretching a double into a triple--much more exciting to me. 

Fuck Bryson. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I don't really feel strongly about it one way or the other.  Even if they roll back the ball for the pros, I'm sure the equipment companies will just change the clubs so that new ball goes farther.  And not sure the PGA would even follow the rule....could just be the majors where they'd have to play the different ball.
    I don't really feel strongly about it one way or the other.  Even if they roll back the ball for the pros, I'm sure the equipment companies will just change the clubs so that new ball goes farther.  And not sure the PGA would even follow the rule....could just be the majors where they'd have to play the different ball.
    Same, but I think the club manufacturers currently have more guidelines than the balls. so I think there's less room there.

But yeah, I mean, it seems dumb for different types of players to have to play different types of balls, but it's straight bomb and gouge right now.  How many 4/5 irons do pros hit a year on a par 4?  Eventually mid 60s will be standard scores on some of the big boy courses at the rate we were at
    A long drive is like a home run in baseball to me. It's cool, but not the best part of the sport. A crafty short game is like stretching a double into a triple--much more exciting to me. 

Fuck Bryson. 
    Agree.  Nobody is watching replays of tee shots.  They are watching Tiger’s five iron from the bunker in Canada, the chip in at Augusta, the 7 iron from the rough on #6 at Pebble.  

I may have the clubs wrong.  

Fuck Bryson. 
    Agree.  Nobody is watching replays of tee shots.  They are watching Tiger’s five iron from the bunker in Canada, the chip in at Augusta, the 7 iron from the rough on #6 at Pebble.  

I may have the clubs wrong.  
    More exciting than any drive ever struck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJEysanOT7w&t=3s
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The only drives I can remember are the two drives at Bay Hill and Whistling Straits by Bryson, and then Dustin’s at Kapalua.  The two by Bryson were pretty damn cool.  
    edited March 2023
    86 today. Back on track. I think unlocked something with my driver last weekend at the range. I realized I was opening my shoulders at address away from the target. So I wasn't square....thus when I was making contact, I likely wasn't square either. That's probably why I've been pushing/slicing everything for a long while. Anyway, I fixed that and I'm trying to play a little draw now. End result was I hit waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fairways today and added some good distance too. 

Onward and upward. 

Edit---I was still poop around the greens though. Could've flirted with below 80 again had I played like I normally do in that aspect. Gotta work on that still. 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Awesome.  Golf is a lot more fun when you aren’t spraying drives. 

Move to South Carolina tomorrow from Indiana.  Year round golf!
    Awesome.  Golf is a lot more fun when you aren’t spraying drives. 

Move to South Carolina tomorrow from Indiana.  Year round golf!
    That's great....good luck with the move. High of 29 degrees in Chicago today....golf season still feels very far away.
    edited March 2023
    Agree with Padraig, roll it back for everyone.  

I don’t get satisfaction from hitting the ball ten yards further because the golf ball changed. 

Single digits hit it plenty far already.  Double digit handicaps aren’t consistent enough to probably even tell there is a difference.  

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    edited March 2023
    I am surprised that NLU is taking the roll back position even though sponsored by Titleist.  JT making the comment about making the 100 yard dash longer when Augusta has to buy property every year to lengthen the holes.   Making himself look as silly as his putting game.

There is bifurcation in the game because there are multiple tee boxes and playing conditions are different.  I shot a 91 at Pebble Beach.  I know for a fact I would not shoot a 91 from the same tee boxes I played if course was setup for pros because the fairway would be more narrow, the rough taller, and the greens much faster.   
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on