Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,693
    Did you wrap it?
    My brother broke ribs a few times and swore by wrapping his chest so that he could go back in the kitchen, where he worked at that point.
    No wrap. I don’t even know what I did to it. I woke up with it the day after the Innings Festival. I don’t think it’s broken. But one rib really hurts when I press on it or move a certain way like reaching that arm up. It hurts a little to lay on that side as well. Otherwise, it doesn’t hurt that bad or at all depending on my position. Maybe a few days without jostling it when I am running will help. I am hoping it is just a pulled muscle and not a bruised rib. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Needed to fetch something downtown after work, so I ran across both bridges in my city. Had been somewhat of a goal for me. Got so peckish(?) for orange juice that I stopped at my local store instead of running a bit farther to breaki my distance record.

Awesome! Are you running along a River? Must be gorgeous.  
    It’s a canal/river that runs through Gothenburg and Sweden. 

A mix of running through fancy neighbourhoods and old industrial areas :)

Wow.  That s gorgeous! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Needed to fetch something downtown after work, so I ran across both bridges in my city. Had been somewhat of a goal for me. Got so peckish(?) for orange juice that I stopped at my local store instead of running a bit farther to breaki my distance record.

Beautiful! Just a tad nicer than running along the East River in NYC ;)

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Beautiful! Just a tad nicer than running along the East River in NYC ;)

This East River?

This where I used to run along the East River. Now it is a big construction site for a few more years. So I lost this path for now. 
    I reluctantly did not go for my run today. I am hoping this will help my rib pain. It was really hard to restrain myself from going. I feel off. I guess it really is an addiction. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    It is.  Hope you can find something else to do.  Can you take a long walk?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    It is.  Hope you can find something else to do.  Can you take a long walk?
    Yes. I plan to take a walk after work.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Taking my walk. I am on mile 3. By the time I get home it should be close to 4 miles. Not as far as my 5 mile run but at least I don’t feel as guilty since I got some walking miles in. 
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    Was hoping for a better time around 5 hrs but it was super muddy and slippery, very sapping. But it was good enough for 9th place my first top 10 finish 🎉
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Awesome job
    Top 10!!!!

beano.79 said:
    Was hoping for a better time around 5 hrs but it was super muddy and slippery, very sapping. But it was good enough for 9th place my first top 10 finish 🎉
    Great job!! Top ten is spectacular. You did an amazing run. 
    I took a chance and ran today. After doing yoga on Thursday my rib pain felt much better. This morning it was slightly there but I didn’t want to miss another run. I ran on the treadmill. I thought that might be easier on the ribs. I did 5 miles and so far so good. If I wake up in pain again tomorrow I will know why. But right now it is feeling fine. 
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    Great job!! Top ten is spectacular. You did an amazing run. 
    I can't lie... If I got this time in last year's race it would have seen me outside the top 20 😂 but I'll take it.
    GlowGirl said:
    I took a chance and ran today. After doing yoga on Thursday my rib pain felt much better. This morning it was slightly there but I didn’t want to miss another run. I ran on the treadmill. I thought that might be easier on the ribs. I did 5 miles and so far so good. If I wake up in pain again tomorrow I will know why. But right now it is feeling fine. 
    This is good news! It's torture when we can't run for whatever reason. Fingers crossed you wake up feeling ok
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297
    beano.79 said:
    Fantastic job! 
    GlowGirl said:
    That's great! How are you feeling?
    GlowGirl said:
    The pain is definitely almost gone. I didn’t run on Sunday but plan to at some point today. So, overall I think it is basically healed. Thanks for asking. How are you doing?
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    The pain is definitely almost gone. I didn’t run on Sunday but plan to at some point today. So, overall I think it is basically healed. Thanks for asking. How are you doing?
    That's great!

I am doing OK. Had an interesting weekend, my 15 year old son had to have an emergency surgery on Saturday evening for a testicular torsion, he was in the most pain I've ever seen anyone in. Surgery went well and we were sent home around 1:30 am. My son is doing well.

Between that and the time change, I was pretty exhausted for my long run yesterday, but still got it in.
    edited March 2023
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    That's great!

I am doing OK. Had an interesting weekend, my 15 year old son had to have an emergency surgery on Saturday evening for a testicular torsion, he was in the most pain I've ever seen anyone in. Surgery went well and we were sent home around 1:30 am. My son is doing well.

Between that and the time change, I was pretty exhausted for my long run yesterday, but still got it in.
    I am glad your son is ok. That must have been scary. I am sure you are exhausted. It’s great you were motivated to still run. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
    Oh man,hope he recovers quickly.  I get a minor case of that sometimes during runs and it is brutal.  It is like a really bad cramp.  Can't imagine it staying until surgery could release it.  Holy shit that must have been brutal

Newfie, is your son doing better?

Had my first shot at a race this year, earlier today.  Atlantic City,  on the boardwalk.  5k.  Really thought I would do better but I still PR'd, so am happy about that.  Finished 19th overall and 5th in age group.  (Small group running / 200)
    Flat race - which is why I thought I would go faster.  Back half, my heart rate was in 180s and I know that means I need to get in better shape.  I pushed like a mofo the last quarter, was almost to 200, which is not a number I want to go above at 48.  :lol:  
    I slowed to encourage a guy about my age who was walking with half a mile left.  He gave me a big smile and thumbs up as he passed me with a hundred yards or so left.  :(  He was #4 in my age group and was appreciative of the support after.  
    Nice to be able to help.  I remember during my first half marathon that I was walking up the last hill for a short bit and a number of people encouraged me until I stopped being a wuss and started running (as much as I could) again

Newfie, is your son doing better?

Had my first shot at a race this year, earlier today.  Atlantic City,  on the boardwalk.  5k.  Really thought I would do better but I still PR'd, so am happy about that.  Finished 19th overall and 5th in age group.  (Small group running / 200)
    Flat race - which is why I thought I would go faster.  Back half, my heart rate was in 180s and I know that means I need to get in better shape.  I pushed like a mofo the last quarter, was almost to 200, which is not a number I want to go above at 48.  :lol:  
    I slowed to encourage a guy about my age who was walking with half a mile left.  He gave me a big smile and thumbs up as he passed me with a hundred yards or so left.  :(  He was #4 in my age group and was appreciative of the support after.  
    Nice to be able to help.  I remember during my first half marathon that I was walking up the last hill for a short bit and a number of people encouraged me until I stopped being a wuss and started running (as much as I could) again

Good run mate 👍 awesome to slow and help, but there must have been a tiny amount of bitterness when he passed you? 😁

Nothing too hard this week, after last week's race and next weekends (much tougher) race I'm just on a nice little taper, ticking over.

Next weekends race involves going away for 2 nights with my cousin in the beautiful landscape of North Wales, cannot wait 
    😔

Oh no!  I've had cancellation before but never with so much prep put in.  I'm sorry that the weather has fouled this for you.  Arrgh.
    Is there perhaps anything to fill in?
    Wow! I am so sorry your run was cancelled. You trained so long and hard for that. Is there any chance they reschedule? 
    They have their race calendar to stick to so there's no chance of reschedule. There's also no refund, luckily the accomodation have refunded me fully. The best we might get is entry into next year but let's see what they offer.

I still have my 24 hour race in June. And there's a 40 miler in may just an hour's drive away so I might enter that.

'gutted' 😂
    I ran the race that was cancelled anyway, on my own.  A little tough to do that with your race.
    It sucks.  All of that work.  
    Well, at least it is not an injury which f'd the race for you.  
    Hope you find your way to a pint or 4 this weekend in honor of all of your hard work

beano.79 said:
    They have their race calendar to stick to so there's no chance of reschedule. There's also no refund, luckily the accomodation have refunded me fully. The best we might get is entry into next year but let's see what they offer.

I still have my 24 hour race in June. And there's a 40 miler in may just an hour's drive away so I might enter that.

'gutted' 😂
    I would be as well. That sucks. It sounds like you have some other good things coming up so the training won’t go to waste. You should take F Me’s advice and have a little fun this weekend.