Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Nice.  Your training pace is fast, to me!  Hope you stay on target.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SPRING IS COMING TO SWEDEN.

The sun is shining. Time to get back to 3x a week of runninggggg
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mcgruff10 said:
    Back at it today. A little over two weeks ago I got an epidural in my neck due to some disc herniation.  Did 4.1 miles of jog/fast walk today with little numbness in my hand.  It s been a long road to recovery; I was happy with today s results.  
    That's great, hope all stays well with your neck. 

I have a follow up today about my osteoporosis (as a 45 yo male with no family history, makes no sense). Hopefully it's improved in the past year with the med they had me on. 

I completed my longest run ever yesterday, almost 17 miles. This training block is going well, I am hopeful to get close to a 1:30 HM in April. 
    Good work. I hope your osteoporosis has improved. If you ever had to take a long course of steroids in your life that can cause bone thinning as well. Keep up the good training. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Awesome job Newfie!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 635
    Training has been going really well.. hit 23 miles and 10 miles on my back to back long runs last weekend. But this week I've been hit with bit of a congested chest. I feel much better as the week goes on but haven't run this week yet. Got 1 week (2 weekends) of peak training remaining, I'm using a 31 mile waterway ultra race as my peak run then a 2 week taper before snowdonia spring crossing ultra. 

This thread seems to be going through a rich vein of form at the moment. Great to see everyone smashing out the miles! Oosh
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Dude, the longest run I've ever done is your training ru.  31 miles to train!  Amazing.
    I regularly brag on you to running peeps
      Seems I meet other runners everywhere I go and nobody else knows 100 mile mountain racers yet.  
    I meet plenty of iron man participants...and some ultra runners, but not the extreme 100s. 
    Pretty frigging awesome!

Did intervals again this AM and was weak...although I managed to get a fast one in on my last run
      Called myself all sorts of mean names as I breathed deeply for the minute break before the last interval...and pushed out at least one fast lap.
    Pretty tough to run through how you feel, some days

Felt good at the end

Hope your chest cold goes away!

beano.79 said:
    Training has been going really well.. hit 23 miles and 10 miles on my back to back long runs last weekend. But this week I've been hit with bit of a congested chest. I feel much better as the week goes on but haven't run this week yet. Got 1 week (2 weekends) of peak training remaining, I'm using a 31 mile waterway ultra race as my peak run then a 2 week taper before snowdonia spring crossing ultra. 

This thread seems to be going through a rich vein of form at the moment. Great to see everyone smashing out the miles! Oosh
    Wow! This is so impressive. You are so adventurous. I hope your cold goes away soon. I am sure that is frustrating. Good luck.

edited March 2023
    Dude, the longest run I've ever done is your training ru.  31 miles to train!  Amazing.
      Seems I meet other runners everywhere I go and nobody else knows 100 mile mountain racers yet.  
    I meet plenty of iron man participants...and some ultra runners, but not the extreme 100s. 
    Pretty frigging awesome!

Did intervals again this AM and was weak...although I managed to get a fast one in on my last run
      Called myself all sorts of mean names as I breathed deeply for the minute break before the last interval...and pushed out at least one fast lap.

Felt good at the end

Don't be mean to yourself! You are doing more than most people do. You should be proud of all of your runs.

I came home from Arizona with a sore rib. I am not sure how I did it. It must be a pulled muscle because it hurts when I press down on it or breath in too deeply. I woke up with it the day after the EV show. It didn't hurt too bad on Monday or Tuesday. Then I decided to run yesterday, and it hurt a lot more last night. It even woke me up in the middle of the night when I rolled over to that side. It is better today. My next run is Saturday. If it still hurts then - even a little - I am going to force myself to take the day off.

I know I am getting old when I have a pulled muscle that I don't remember injuring. It was probably from some normal movement like dancing at the show :|

Pretty frigging awesome!

Felt good at the end

I have to say that yes, I've done and have an upcoming tough mountain race, and I have done 100 miles... I am yet to combine tough mountains AND 100 miles in one race, but one day! 😁

But honestly it's so inspiring coming here and talking with you guys, there's a clear passion and love for just running here and it's amazing. And I don't know many people that will listen to me banging on about running! 😁

There's something to learn from each of us in this thread, inspiring stuff.

And I can't tell you how cool it was during my 100 miler popping on here in the early hours during a crew stop and seeing a few messages of encouragement on here, from strangers the other side of the world.... Believe me.. it helped through a particular 'pain cave' moment 😂

Apologies for the over the top speech. But seriously love a little visit to this thread, thanks guys
    GlowGirl said:
    Pretty frigging awesome!

Felt good at the end

Don't be mean to yourself! You are doing more than most people do. You should be proud of all of your runs.

I came home from Arizona with a sore rib. I am not sure how I did it. It must be a pulled muscle because it hurts when I press down on it or breath in too deeply. I woke up with it the day after the EV show. It didn't hurt too bad on Monday or Tuesday. Then I decided to run yesterday, and it hurt a lot more last night. It even woke me up in the middle of the night when I rolled over to that side. It is better today. My next run is Saturday. If it still hurts then - even a little - I am going to force myself to take the day off.

I know I am getting old when I have a pulled muscle that I don't remember injuring. It was probably from some normal movement like dancing at the show :|

Were all getting old 😂 despite the running o do, I struggle to run up the stairs, or carry my daughter up the stairs on my back without having a mini heart attack 😂
    M, hope your pain goes away quickly.  Dancing can be damaging!  :)

Met a runner last night at a networking event in Philly.   (I didn't bring up the topic, she did!  Lol)
    She was telling me about her training for Broad Street (a 10 miler in April that I also am doing again) and that her father is much faster than she is.  I was shocked, since she was very fit looking and around 30.  She said her dad was 62 and had run his whole life.
    As we spoke more about it and she asked me questions, I returned again to the awesome speed her father has at 62....and that his body still holds strong.
    A guy who was in the group speaking with us (who was in his 60s) said to me "well, I'm shocked your body hasn't broken down at your age"
    I laughed and told him it pretty much has but I won't stop running and that I'm not as old as I look!!   49 next month and can't have people assuming I'm an old fart already!  :lol:

We are everywhere - it is really cool to have found a group here on a rock band forum.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Nice job!

8.25 miles yesterday, for me.  Started cramping some, forgot to bring liquid with me.  (Usually for +60 min sessions I drink a little every mile)
     Was fun, though.

Nice work, everyone. I ran 5 miles yesterday. My rib was still slightly sore but I figured it would be ok. I am prolonging the healing, but it’s not too bad at this point. A little sore today. Today is an off day at least. 
    Be careful - glad to hear it is getting better.
    Heading out for a hike now, followed by a little soccer with the youngster.

This is fantastic, great job. The mileage is ramping up!
    24 miles and 3000ft of hill reps today. Only run of this week due to a bad chest, sacrificed the smaller midweek runs to get my long run in. 

The Waterway 30 miler next Saturday then a 2 week taper before Snowdonia spring crossing ultra 
    Go go go!  🏃‍♂️ 
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297
    beano.79 said:
    24 miles and 3000ft of hill reps today. Only run of this week due to a bad chest, sacrificed the smaller midweek runs to get my long run in. 

The Waterway 30 miler next Saturday then a 2 week taper before Snowdonia spring crossing ultra 
    Wow, that is amazing! Glad you were able to balance your training to get this in. Good luck on your upcoming races.

I got a nice long run in yesterday, 15.5 miles. My HM is the end of April, I'm cautiously optimistic I can push for 1:30, my pace on my HM tempo runs is 6:50/mile right now. Just to stay healthy through the rest of this training block. 

I hope everyone had a great weekend!
    edited March 2023
    Needed to fetch something downtown after work, so I ran across both bridges in my city. Had been somewhat of a goal for me. Got so peckish(?) for orange juice that I stopped at my local store instead of running a bit farther to breaki my distance record.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    beano.79 said:

Wow, that is amazing! Glad you were able to balance your training to get this in. Good luck on your upcoming races.

I got a nice long run in yesterday, 15.5 miles. My HM is the end of April, I'm cautiously optimistic I can push for 1:30, my pace on my HM tempo runs is 6:50/mile right now. Just to stay healthy through the rest of this training block. 

I hope everyone had a great weekend!
    I had a bash at 1:30 HM in the autumn, managed to stay on pace for 9 miles but ended up with 1:32. It hurt alot 😂 I hope you can smash it! Look forward to hearing about it
    Needed to fetch something downtown after work, so I ran across both bridges in my city. Had been somewhat of a goal for me. Got so peckish(?) for orange juice that I stopped at my local store instead of running a bit farther to breaki my distance record.

Getting some strong consistency in mate! 👍
    beano.79 said:

I’m surprised I’m not getting destroyed running over 10km. But seems it’s possible. 

”Göteborgsvarvet” (The Gothenburg run/race) jere in town which is one of the most popular races in Sweden is in may. It’s 21km (half marathon?). I don’t want to run with everyone else.  But I’m thinking about running the route by myself like the weekend after or before. Would be nice
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Awesome! Are you running along a River? Must be gorgeous.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    beano.79 said:

I’m surprised I’m not getting destroyed running over 10km. But seems it’s possible. 

”Göteborgsvarvet” (The Gothenburg run/race) jere in town which is one of the most popular races in Sweden is in may. It’s 21km (half marathon?). I don’t want to run with everyone else.  But I’m thinking about running the route by myself like the weekend after or before. Would be nice
    Why not run with the race?  You are within range and absent injury you would have no problem.  Training even to run 17 or 18k would be fine to run the 21 during a race.   Hydrate and don't go out too quickly and I think you'd be surprised that you get quite a lift from others.  Harder to run solo, most feel.  (Although I do run solo exclusively,  non- race.)
    I ran today and my sister yelled at me because my rib still hurts. She said I need to let it heal before running. The problem is that it doesn’t hurt while I am running. But then it hurts later in the day. It was starting to feel better late last week after taking two days off but then ran on Saturday. I guess I should take a few days off. It’s just so hard to do that. 
    Did you wrap it?
    My brother broke ribs a few times and swore by wrapping his chest so that he could go back in the kitchen, where he worked at that point.
    mcgruff10 said:

It’s a canal/river that runs through Gothenburg and Sweden. 

A mix of running through fancy neighbourhoods and old industrial areas :)

mcgruff10 said:

It’s a canal/river that runs through Gothenburg and Sweden. 

A mix of running through fancy neighbourhoods and old industrial areas :)

Wow, looks really nice
    GlowGirl said:
    I ran today and my sister yelled at me because my rib still hurts. She said I need to let it heal before running. The problem is that it doesn’t hurt while I am running. But then it hurts later in the day. It was starting to feel better late last week after taking two days off but then ran on Saturday. I guess I should take a few days off. It’s just so hard to do that. 
    My wife gets on me when I run if I have any type of injury. I agree it's hard to take it easy for a few days when it's part of your routine. Hopefully it feels better quickly.