Memories,Meetings,Memorabilia and the story and pictures behind them.

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    edited February 2023
    Part 1.
    Through a friend we met Pete townshends daughter aminta .  We told her  we were basically fan boys and  travelled all over the world watching  pj, And ed solo,  she told us when pj play UK  ed stays round at her brother Simon s house. We were blown away and she said next  time Email me and i will take you  over there to meet  ed he is lovely. 
    At this time we both were  bouncing off the  walls in our small village thinking  fuck. Imagine going  to Simon's  house and ed is there. In the  meantime  we prayed for a uk date and my friend also Simon  got a copy of petes book signed and it came through the post with 2 tickets with after party to the  who . Mind blown.  We went and sadly the after show wasn't  with the band but we had a drink  and a longer chat with aminta and she said again  email when eds in town.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Part 2. So . Simon was the  contact and he was in charge of emailing  her. He was very reluctant  to look like a desparate  dude. So ed announce that he was coming to play at the who 50 bash as shepards bush. I urged him to email and he did but sadly ed was flying  in for 2 songs and flying  straight back out. Luckily  for me i was in the alley behind the  venue when ed walked down  to the stage door so i managed to meet him gey my programme  signed and a couple of picks, after being a fan since 91 my life was complete. So we waited with anticipation  of the  next tour.
    Ed announced he was supporting  the  who at Wembley  we thought b.i.n.g.o we are in. So again we arranged an email that wasn't  too beggy. And aminta said ive left backstage passes at the box office for you🤯
    Surely this was it.

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Part 3.
    We go get our passes and show them off to our friends  that are also going we met a couple english celebs  and thought  we must be in here. So we watch  the  show amd we are now buzzing wanting the who to end so we can go back and see what happens. 
    So we get back and famous people are everywhere. We see ed dressing  room with is body guard outside  . Glen hansard walks in. We are told  to move along. Can't  stand here. So we move  along out of the way. But we stay there for a long time had a photo with zak starkey. Nice. Thinking  ed must walk by soon. We could hear ed and glen and others talking loudly but were not allowed  near. Didn't think  to cal aminta who as it turns out said  after "oh you should have rang  me i was next door with my dad i could have taken you in" ffs so close.
     after they  had all left we were still hanging  around but they said ed had left. So we were very down. There  was like a practice  room you could just walk in and out. On the table  was this lyric sheet and some setlists  from previous pj shows. I think  werchter and some un used tickets from the  show cimp ones. So i picked it all up and took it home. Just  found it all and thought  how close we were so many times to a calm chat with ed but it was all brilliant and loved the buzz of the  hunt kind of feeling. It was organic enough  to not be bothering  him of anyone.  And im grateful by chance  i walked past him at shepards bush at the  right  time. Right place.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited February 2023
    both  a bit  worse for wear. This was standing in the dressing  room area. He had just  came out of eds room
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Cool thanks for sharing - sounds like a neat experience.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Super cool. Love these stories. :)
  • mrezoocmrezooc Posts: 119
    Great story!!
     out of stories for now...some of you need to spill the beans before I rot of lack of rock and roll boredom!
    Pretty please...cmon. Maybe a non-pj one? 
  • dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,187
    Ben Harper story, when he opened for DMB at the Gorge in 2010:

Ben Harper mentioned at the end of his N3 set that if you're ever in Seattle and want the best fish sandwich and chowder, go to the Market Grill, and tell them Ben sent ya. So my wife and I decide to try it before our afternoon flight. We leave camping at about 7:30am. During the drive I mention to her how much I enjoyed Ben's sets and that I'd have to get some of his music when we get home (I'm late to the game with most bands...I know...I'm really late for Ben Harper). We get to the Pike Place Market, it ends up being one of the small slots in the market with a few stools at a counter, I was expecting a full size traditional restaurant. We sit down and place our order, and tell the girl behind the counter about being at the show...and that Ben sent us. Not 10 minutes later who sits down at the other end of the counter...Ben himself. I mention to him that I was at the shows and was following up on his suggestion. He then tells me, "I remember you, you were in the Braves jersey!" How the hell does he remember that???

He tells us about the transition from the Relentless 7 to Fistfull of Mercy, an east coast tour coming up, not sure about an Atlanta show. He's there for a quick bite before a flight so we take a quick photo, thank him for the great shows this weekend and head back to our seats. Our food comes out, and he comes back over, "Didn't I tell you the food was the best!!" I told him that I was sorry that there was a fight right next to me in the pit (probably why he remembered the Braves jersey) and show him the video I took of it, had a few laughs over it. His food comes out and he excuses himself. What a genuine, sincere man; really looking forward to his music.  He heads off on his skateboard in the market, someone with a camera backs into him and knocks him down, and Ben apologizes   :o

Here are details on the throwdown, and it was literally a throw-down:

Pit is well established by Ben Harper's set. Girl in pink long sleeve shirt and yellow down vest makes her way to front-center. Several people telling her to leave; she won't; "I have a pit ticket and I deserve to be down here, I'm as big a fan as anyone else". To prove this she shows another girl her DMB tattoo on her lower back. Other girl proceeds to pour a big drink right down her crack! Fight ensues, girl who poured drink instantly pulls off the instigators vest and shirt, she's eventually removed from pit 20 minutes later, here's the tail end:

https://youtu.be/3x-N5N2vApQ
  • A lovely guy  and story.  Thank  you
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Awesome! I'm always late to music. Thx for sharing. What a cool moment. Must have been a bit surreal. Ben sent me...oh hi Ben. Lol. Sweet
    Quick. Special to me. Nothing special simple story.

Went with my bud 1000 years ago to see motorhead, judas priest and alice cooper with no tix.
    Hit a scalper up on the way in. Got tix for cheap. Didn't know about seating. Was walking in and kept being waved up til we were about 10 rows back from the stage.
    Motorhead ripped, Rob halford rode his motorcycle on stage and killed it!! Alice cooper (not a big fan) put on a fantastic show.

End of story

Today you can't imagine anything like that. Fake tix and all that junk. 

End of flashback
  • Loujoe said:
    Quick. Special to me. Nothing special simple story.

Went with my bud 1000 years ago to see motorhead, judas priest and alice cooper with no tix.
    Hit a scalper up on the way in. Got tix for cheap. Didn't know about seating. Was walking in and kept being waved up til we were about 10 rows back from the stage.
    Motorhead ripped, Rob halford rode his motorcycle on stage and killed it!! Alice cooper (not a big fan) put on a fantastic show.

End of story

Today you can't imagine anything like that. Fake tix and all that junk. 

End of flashback
    I am with you! That is a great story! Rock isn't the same anymore. There are a few bands still bringing it but I really miss the good ol' days of concerts! When are we going to one in WI?
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
    I'll start walking now... :)
    Love me a good show. It's all cleaned up now. Probably for the better. Sanitized stadiums. No one shooting off fireworks or flipping cars in the parking lots. 
    :/
    Bump to shake out some new/old stories. Spill them beans.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Loujoe said:
    Bump to shake out some new/old stories. Spill them beans.

With Rage announcing no more shows thought I’d share this. Got to see them twice in 2022 in TO. My friend scored us these seats right beside the stage in Toronto (night 2). Some guy rushed the stage and Tom was taken out by the security guard just as they started killing in the name of. Got it all on video. We scored a setlist and 4 Tom picks from that show (one for each of us). Tom got back up off the speaker and they started it over from the beginning killing it. Sad we won’t see them again. Was happy to knock them off my bucket list. 

Unreal. Jealous for sure
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414

Me, Eddie and Olivia..me,''no,no i don't want a picture, just to say thank you.. Olivia , ''ha,ok then..''
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:

Me, Eddie and Olivia..me,''no,no i don't want a picture, just to say thank you.. Olivia , ''ha,ok then..''
    Please tell the story 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Big Pete!
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    23scidoo said:

Please tell the story 
    Sicily 2017..we were sitting in a bar having beers..at some time i said to my friends, ''can you imagine to see Eddie walk on the streets??''..
    my friends was like, ''you are nuts, won't be happen, to much crowd on the strrets''..next 20-30 seconds i saw Pete came from the corner and i was like, ''hey, he looks familiar that big guy''..10 seconds later Eddie and his family passed in front of us..approach him and the rest are history..we shake hands and i told him ''Thank you for everything, not just the music and the words''..
    also i met Olivia and Jill after the second night and buy them an ice-cream..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 961
    edited January 25
    This is long so forgive me.

2021 was a really bad year for me. My Dad, who was a healthy older man, had went for a routine in-office medical procedure right before Xmas in 2020 and ended up with sepsis from a human error during that procedure. He was improving but ended up severely dehydrated from bad care and eventually couldn't recover and passed unexpectedly in April. 7 months later, my father-in-law, who I had known longer than my husband - over 20 years passed away. June 2022 went to see my mom out of state for first time after Dad died and 4 days in, dog sitter calls and tells me my healthy German shepherd died of suspected heat stroke. 

I had tickets to see PJ in Nashville and St Louis and needed it so badly. My brother who was going to go in 2020  couldn't cuz he didn't want to leave my Mom so my husband agreed even though he's not a big fan. 

Anyway I saw SAD was scratched off the Quebec setlist and I love that song and had a Mom and mother-in-law living that song and I got it in my mind I needed to hear it and started requesting it..both on here and elsewhere with graphics I had made showing these Dads who had left my life. Fast forward to St Louis and I had been blessed by a forum friend with his seats 2 rows from Mike. Ed came to the Mic and I heard him say this is for a woman named Debbie..I thought this can't be me..and then he said our hearts go out to you..also thinking about..looked down quietly strumming his guitar..we're just thinking about ya..Sad starts..I was in shock..looked at my husband and said this is for our Dads. I think I spent some time hand over mouth..stared up at the ceiling teary-eyed and then started singing as loud as I possibly could. It just meant so much. After the show walking back to the hotel I was like what just happened. 

https://youtu.be/cagTgLc7tow?si=KCGyulVS6IIp0nKD
    Post edited by deb1211 on
    I saw this all unfold on the forum . How very beautiful that ed turned sad into happy.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    I saw this all unfold on the forum . How very beautiful that ed turned sad into happy.
    Well said. Hugs to Deb!!!
  • TonybalsamoTonybalsamo Montlake, Seattle, WA Posts: 12
    Hello. My mom owned a restaurant in San Diego called Sicilia Restaurant near the San Diego State University area.

I was 13 years old at the time. A few doors down from our restaurant was a record shop called “Off The Wall” which I frequented often. 

One day in the early Summer if 1991, I went to off the wall and the worker there was telling me about this band called “Pearl Jam” and they would be eating at my moms restaurant that night for the release of their new album… he gave me a circular poster of their album ‘ten’ and he said, get this signed, this band is going to be huge.

that evening, they in fact came to my moms restaurant and sat at table B2. 
    I shyly approached the table and asked if I could have their autograph. Little did I know at the time, but Eddie Vedder said loudly “our first official fan”. Not only did they sign the poster, but they also signed a CD for me. In a kind gesture, I asked my mom if we could cover their drinks on their bills which she approved…

As they were leaving, Eddie asked who was my favorite band at the time which I said Alice In Chains… several weeks later I received this care package from Eddie with several items from Alice In Chains (special shirts, cd’s, etc). I was so amazed by this gesture, even at 13 did not know what to make of it and of course, crazily excited. he recognized our kind gesture and was Thoughtful to repay the gesture… gone are these acts of generosity and kindness. 

A few months go by and Eddie shows up with his brothers to eat -as he was playing a show that weekend down the street at a place called Winters. They sat at table C4. In return for the very kind care package, I asked my mom if we could comp their dinner, which she approved. 

In 1993 we sold the restaurant. The new owners contacted my l saying someone stoped by and wrote me a letter on the back of a paper place mat. Of course, it was Eddie. I had no way to connect as I did not have his contact details. The restaurant was sold again to a new owner. He stopped by once more to visit and left me another letter with cosmic and inspirational worlds. I still have both letters.

just a crazy special experience in life with a truly talented group, and a very thoughtful and generous being. 

B)
    Love these stories. 
    Thx for sharing. It can't be said enough all we need is love love love love love 
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 961
    Hello. My mom owned a restaurant in San Diego called Sicilia Restaurant near the San Diego State University area.

I was 13 years old at the time. A few doors down from our restaurant was a record shop called “Off The Wall” which I frequented often. 

One day in the early Summer if 1991, I went to off the wall and the worker there was telling me about this band called “Pearl Jam” and they would be eating at my moms restaurant that night for the release of their new album… he gave me a circular poster of their album ‘ten’ and he said, get this signed, this band is going to be huge.

that evening, they in fact came to my moms restaurant and sat at table B2. 
    I shyly approached the table and asked if I could have their autograph. Little did I know at the time, but Eddie Vedder said loudly “our first official fan”. Not only did they sign the poster, but they also signed a CD for me. In a kind gesture, I asked my mom if we could cover their drinks on their bills which she approved…

As they were leaving, Eddie asked who was my favorite band at the time which I said Alice In Chains… several weeks later I received this care package from Eddie with several items from Alice In Chains (special shirts, cd’s, etc). I was so amazed by this gesture, even at 13 did not know what to make of it and of course, crazily excited. he recognized our kind gesture and was Thoughtful to repay the gesture… gone are these acts of generosity and kindness. 

A few months go by and Eddie shows up with his brothers to eat -as he was playing a show that weekend down the street at a place called Winters. They sat at table C4. In return for the very kind care package, I asked my mom if we could comp their dinner, which she approved. 

In 1993 we sold the restaurant. The new owners contacted my l saying someone stoped by and wrote me a letter on the back of a paper place mat. Of course, it was Eddie. I had no way to connect as I did not have his contact details. The restaurant was sold again to a new owner. He stopped by once more to visit and left me another letter with cosmic and inspirational worlds. I still have both letters.

just a crazy special experience in life with a truly talented group, and a very thoughtful and generous being. 

That's amazing 
    Utterly beautiful 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07