2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    How are The Kraken doing so well this year? They've won like eight in a row. Snapped The Bruins 20-some home win streak and are second in the Pacific division (behind another relatively "new" team in Vegas). They don't really have any "star players". Hell I don't think I can name one person on the team (granted i'm a Flyers fan and on the east coast so don't really get to see many west coast games)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    They are good.
    Being a team that is high scoring and well distributed with that scoring is a good thing.
    They need to look at how the expansion draft works if they expand again.  Two teams in a row who did an amazing job of it.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    And benefitting from Isles stupidity, as are the Avs with Devon Toews. Protecting Martin and Clutterbuck at the expansion draft over Eberle was profoundly stupid. As great as a fourth line they were, they were clear signs they were fading and you just can’t teach scoring touch.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    They are good.
    Being a team that is high scoring and well distributed with that scoring is a good thing.
    They need to look at how the expansion draft works if they expand again.  Two teams in a row who did an amazing job of it.

The Kraken just went 7-0 on a road trip.  First time in NHL history that a team has done that. 

In fairness,  I think a 7 game road trip is unusual to start,  but it's impressive regardless. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    They are good.

It is kind of intentional for the rules to make it possible for expansion teams to compete faster.  The hard cap also helps.  Cap space is a huge asset, and teams will often need to make hard salary choices for the protected lists.  

The NHL is asking for a ton of money in expansion fees.  In order to demand that much, there probably should be a possibility to ice a decent and relevant team within a season or 2.  

If you are moving into a new city, it is also probably a good idea to not force them behind the 8 ball to be terrible for 5 years+ in a row out of the gate like old times.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    MayDay10 said:
    They are good.

It is kind of intentional for the rules to make it possible for expansion teams to compete faster.  The hard cap also helps.  Cap space is a huge asset, and teams will often need to make hard salary choices for the protected lists.  

The NHL is asking for a ton of money in expansion fees.  In order to demand that much, there probably should be a possibility to ice a decent and relevant team within a season or 2.  

If you are moving into a new city, it is also probably a good idea to not force them behind the 8 ball to be terrible for 5 years+ in a row out of the gate like old times.  
    You are not wrong....but try having two of them added to your division with these advantages.  You will be sore, as well.  ;)

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it with my team on an 11+ year playoff drought.
    RIP Bobby Hull
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    This shit with the Pride jerseys is ridiculous.  The Blackhawks were the ones to start this campaign about a decade ago, right?  And now they are bowing out.  I get not wanting to put players in danger, but the teams are effectively letting Putin dictate what happens in the US.  Bunch of shit, in my opinion.  Won't get into the whole religion angle because that's even dumber. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    Agree on both counts.  The teams want to market to a segment of their local population and get some good press.  Wesr the fucking jersey during warm-ups and cash you million dollar checks.  Bunch of jagoffs.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Oh man are the Leafs going to do this again?!?  Just incredible seeing all the crowd reaction shots last night.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JETS WIN, JETS WIN, BYE GOLLY THE JETS WIN
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    Let's go Canes!
    Boston is scary, but isn't the record for teams winning the regular season not so great in the playoffs?
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    a5pj said:
    Let's go Canes!
    Boston is scary, but isn't the record for teams winning the regular season not so great in the playoffs?

Chicago in 2013 was the last President's Trophy winner to win the Cup. 
    Oh man are the Leafs going to do this again?!?  Just incredible seeing all the crowd reaction shots last night.
    Yes, the Leafs are going to do this again and again and again. 

Way to go to Seattle, too!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Jumb0 said:
    a5pj said:
    Let's go Canes!

So, it's due to happen again.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    Poncier said:
    Jumb0 said:
    a5pj said:
    Let's go Canes!

So, it's due to happen again.
    That's my reply when people bring that up... Mahomes broke the streak of the MVP not winning the superbowl, so why not?

It's Boston's year, Baby!!!
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    great time of the year with NHL/NBA Playoffs.....every night til June there is something to watch
    2-6 was the record of the higher rated seeds, right?  Crazy.  

Leafs played so tight.  Love it.  Let's go Bolts! 
    I'm just happy that The Pens aren't in the playoffs :smiley:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I'm just happy that The Pens aren't in the playoffs :smiley:
    Def 😀
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    F’en sucks loosing in OT after fighting back and being up 3-2 with 8 minutes to go ughh 
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    F’en sucks loosing in OT after fighting back and being up 3-2 with 8 minutes to go ughh 
    Ah if you're talking about the Canes Isles game that was a great win for me hahaha
    And you gotta respect how pretty the pass and goal in OT was, that's just good hockey :)

And yes that the Pens aren't in it. I knew this was coming for them once Rutherford became the GM, used to be the GM in Raleigh. He trades all prospects and draft picks for players now, get ready for 10 years of no playoffs.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

a5pj said:
    Ah if you're talking about the Canes Isles game that was a great win for me hahaha
    And you gotta respect how pretty the pass and goal in OT was, that's just good hockey :)

And yes that the Pens aren't in it. I knew this was coming for them once Rutherford became the GM, used to be the GM in Raleigh. He trades all prospects and draft picks for players now, get ready for 10 years of no playoffs.
    Yes great goal but still I’m not going to say happy for y’all screw that! As far as the Pens they’ve had such great teams and cup winners they won’t be putting up with mediocre for too long, now it’s back to Long Island but I’m not feeling confident at all that they can force a game 5 back in NC 
    a5pj said:

I'm a Pens fan, girlfriend's a Bruins fan, but we both cheer for the Jerks too.  We live in Virginia, so it's a lot easier and cheaper to go to Raleigh than DC.  Love Staal, Aho, and Brind'Amour. Hope the playoffs go well for you all.

Rutherford may have depleted our future, I'm not sure, but at the same time, winning a couple Cups is probably worth a playoff drought.  I do think the Pens make it back in next year, and will get swept by a NY/NJ team most likely.
    a5pj said:

I'm a Pens fan, girlfriend's a Bruins fan, but we both cheer for the Jerks too.  We live in Virginia, so it's a lot easier and cheaper to go to Raleigh than DC.  Love Staal, Aho, and Brind'Amour. Hope the playoffs go well for you all.

Rutherford may have depleted our future, I'm not sure, but at the same time, winning a couple Cups is probably worth a playoff drought.  I do think the Pens make it back in next year, and will get swept by a NY/NJ team most likely.
    I live in Richmond, but lived in Tampa for a long time.  We also go to Raleigh for games rather than DC.  It's an hour further, but everything is better (other than the Chinese food around the Cap One center).  
    mrussel1 said:
    a5pj said:

I live in Richmond, but lived in Tampa for a long time.  We also go to Raleigh for games rather than DC.  It's an hour further, but everything is better (other than the Chinese food around the Cap One center).  
    Tampa is giving it to Toronto, again.  I know it's early, but I thought this might be the year that (1)Toronto doesn't fall apart, and (2) TB gets exhausted from years of deep runs.  Doesn't seem to be the case.  The Bolts are such a machine, it's impressive.  

I'd also much rather hang out with Canes fans than those that rock the red.
    mrussel1 said:
    a5pj said:

Tampa is giving it to Toronto, again.  I know it's early, but I thought this might be the year that (1)Toronto doesn't fall apart, and (2) TB gets exhausted from years of deep runs.  Doesn't seem to be the case.  The Bolts are such a machine, it's impressive.  

I'd also much rather hang out with Canes fans than those that rock the red.
    Yeah but both Hedman and Cernik were hurt in game 1, and they are d1 and d2. The loss of McDonough really hurt this year.  You really need your forwards back checking during the playoffs,  so that will be key to getting through Toronto.  

But Toronto is such a media pressure cooker, they really are playing tight.  We'll see.  Tonight might be considered their season.  
    Pa5pj said:

Yes great goal but still I’m not going to say happy for y’all screw that! As far as the Pens they’ve had such great teams and cup winners they won’t be putting up with mediocre for too long, now it’s back to Long Island but I’m not feeling confident at all that they can force a game 5 back in NC 
    Oops best of 7 
    Damn what a game last night Isles had to win! Now onto Sunday