Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Has anyone else here read this book?  I've had a copy for several years and didn't think I'd like it, but I picked it up the other day and now I'm about half way through and totally loving it!
    Neil and Me by Scott Young

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    goldrush said:

Oh boy! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    Has anyone else here read this book?  I've had a copy for several years and didn't think I'd like it, but I picked it up the other day and now I'm about half way through and totally loving it!

I read it years ago right after Shakey came out.  I thought it was great and It was cool to learn all about Neil's dad too.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

I read it years ago right after Shakey came out.  I thought it was great and It was cool to learn all about Neil's dad too.

Yeah, I get the feeling Scott Young was a very super and cool dad!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

It’s a really cool book. I’ll have to dig my copy out and read it again (especially given Scott’s appearance in the WR sleeve)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Bad news for the wallet - Archives Volume 3 is done and Volume 4 is “well on the way”

(Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I usually just DL the archives. If he’s not putting it out on vinyl, I’m not interested. 

Though I would buy a small brick box set of blu ray if there was plenty of video content. 
  • Give me a best of the the archives. Don't need it all.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

It’s a really cool book. I’ll have to dig my copy out and read it again (especially given Scott’s appearance in the WR sleeve)

Yes, great book and very cool that the dapper younger Scott Young is on the cover and the rest of the family (whom Mr. Young talks about in the book) are featured in photos as well!

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    I need a Mirrorball vinyl 😳
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I recognize it’s probably some sort of sacrilege posting about this here (iTunes does suck afterall, lol), but I’ll go ahead and mention this for those who are less diehard or are merely Young-curious, lol.

At the moment iTunes (Canada at least) has many rock albums on for $4.99, featuring several NY and NYCH albums.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Interesting to see if Neil will actually play here, considering his reluctance to tour these days

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Interesting to see if Neil will actually play here, considering his reluctance to tour these days

I'm guessing it's quite likely.  His stated reason for not touring is that he can't get venues to not serve factory farmed food.  Because he is living in Southern California now and wouldn't need to travel far, and because he respects and has worked with Willie a number of times, and probably would only be there to do one song with Willie, I can picture him doing it.
    I hope they film this and release it on DVD!

brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

I'm guessing it's quite likely.  His stated reason for not touring is that he can't get venues to not serve factory farmed food.  Because he is living in Southern California now and wouldn't need to travel far, and because he respects and has worked with Willie a number of times, and probably would only be there to do one song with Willie, I can picture him doing it.
    I thought he and Daryl were living in Omemee, Ontario now? I don’t really follow that side of things so I’m not sure. Maybe that was just during lockdown. 
    He has mentioned a few times that he still has a lot of concerns about Covid and big crowds, but if he does play I hope we get to see it online.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

I thought he and Daryl were living in Omemee, Ontario now? I don’t really follow that side of things so I’m not sure. Maybe that was just during lockdown. 
    He has mentioned a few times that he still has a lot of concerns about Covid and big crowds, but if he does play I hope we get to see it online.

I didn't know that- could be!  Yeah, I can picture Neil being cautious regarding COVID. I think a lot of older people are still concerned about the pandemic... not that I would really know anything about old people.  :lol:

• That Neil can't make the logical jump to vegan instead of the "let's murder animals but not have as many of them in one place". like Paul McCartney so sweetheartely could, is baffling.

And, please tooour Europeeeee agaaaaaaain
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited January 2023
    That Neil can't make the logical jump to vegan instead of the "let's murder animals but not have as many of them in one place". like Paul McCartney so sweetheartely could, is baffling.

Say whaaaaaaaaaat?

Neil's point about factory farming is not carnivore or omnivore vs vegan.  Read up, mate!

• brianlux said:
    That Neil can't make the logical jump to vegan instead of the "let's murder animals but not have as many of them in one place". like Paul McCartney so sweetheartely could, is baffling.

Say whaaaaaaaaaat?

Neil's point about factory farming is not carnivore or omnivore vs vegan.  Read up, mate!

Read my post again, mate!
  • SHOULD I BUY BARN? Its like 25-27 dollars over here
    SHOULD I BUY BARN? Its like 25-27 dollars over here
    You already know the answer to that…

It’s yes, by the way.

(Tim Rogers)
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited January 2023
    goldrush said:
    You already know the answer to that…

It’s yes, by the way.
    It hovers around £12 here in the UK but is more at the moment, same with one of the recent archive live performances...Citizen Kane. Seems cheap in comparison to a lot of new records.

You knowwwww you want it!  :smiley:

ST66483 said:

Very cool!
    But check out the photo from the article.  Who reads a newspaper in the middle of a Neil Young performance???  :lol:          
    Neil Young Announces First Concert Since Prior to the Pandemic

• shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    brianlux said:
    ST66483 said:

Very cool!
    But check out the photo from the article.  Who reads a newspaper in the middle of a Neil Young performance???  :lol:          

That guy is an actor from the Greendale set
  • brianlux said:
    ST66483 said:

Very cool!

Thats David Crosby and the real reason they weren’t on speaking terms. 
    brianlux said:
    ST66483 said:

Very cool!

Ah, very good, thanks.
    I thought maybe it was Larry Cragg who's thinking, "Yeah, yeah, I've heard all these songs a million times!"
    brianlux said:
    ST66483 said:

Very cool!

Thats David Crosby and the real reason they weren’t on speaking terms. 

Haha!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    ST66483 said:

Very cool!

Ah, very good, thanks.
    I thought maybe it was Larry Cragg who's thinking, "Yeah, yeah, I've heard all these songs a million times!
    Actually you’re both right. It is Larry Cragg, he played the role of Grandpa on the Greendale tour.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    ST66483 said:

Very cool!

Ah, very good, thanks.
    I thought maybe it was Larry Cragg who's thinking, "Yeah, yeah, I've heard all these songs a million times!
    Actually you’re both right. It is Larry Cragg, he played the role of Grandpa on the Greendale tour.

Well I'll be!  :smiley:

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    pretty quiet on the release news front. I know it was back to back in Nov/Dec, but I'm surprised we don't have a date for Archives 3 or a new OBS release.