Options

Stock market

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Anyone been in a Tesla?  The friggin car is fast and really nice.  I'll say that about the car.

They are very sleek and nice, but consumers are paying for that. $70k for a mid sized car? Considering they are powered by coal and nat gas, have toxic batteries with minimal oversight for safe disposal and significant geopolitical concerns regarding mining raw materials, Teslas amount to a pretty form of snake oil. First, let’s replace all coal and gas fired plants, find a safe way to produce and dispose of batteries, then we may be onto something with EVs
    Yup.. we are just tearing up the Earth looking for nickel now, rather than crude.  

I'm admittedly an asshole on this topic as I have a few classic cars that are not good on gas.  Although I drove them about 3k miles per year.  But still, not green. 
    Forest from the trees would be improving & investing in public trans infrastructure. But Elon wants to talk about hyperloops when all we need is some trains. But that's too pragmatic and practical.

Thank you for mentioning trains!  So much could be improved by (relatively) simply refurbishing our rail systems.  But the oil companies don't want that, you know know Musk sure as hell doesn't want that! 
    Do we have enough nickel to support a fully electric future?  Are we trading one type of mining and natural resource destruction for another? And as nickel gets more expensive, will the cost efficient engine continue to be combustion?  

I don't honestly know if we have enough nickle (and rare earths) to support a fully electric future, M.  I doubt it, not in a world with 8 billion people.
    Yes, I believe we are trading one ecologically destructive practice for another.
    As for cost effectiveness of efficient engines for cars, I think in the long run that's a moot point for all but the most rural or remote places.  We really need to change our car-culture ways.  I'm not saying, "Get rid of your classic cars".  If I still had my '65 Malibu, I would restore it and drive it once in a while- a few hundred miles a year.  But for the most part, we need to get as many cars off the road as possible.  Refurbish rail systems, increase public transit, walk more, live close to school and work.  To me, that's the only solution that makes sense.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,760
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Anyone been in a Tesla?  The friggin car is fast and really nice.  I'll say that about the car.

They are very sleek and nice, but consumers are paying for that. $70k for a mid sized car? Considering they are powered by coal and nat gas, have toxic batteries with minimal oversight for safe disposal and significant geopolitical concerns regarding mining raw materials, Teslas amount to a pretty form of snake oil. First, let’s replace all coal and gas fired plants, find a safe way to produce and dispose of batteries, then we may be onto something with EVs
    Yup.. we are just tearing up the Earth looking for nickel now, rather than crude.  

I'm admittedly an asshole on this topic as I have a few classic cars that are not good on gas.  Although I drove them about 3k miles per year.  But still, not green. 
    Forest from the trees would be improving & investing in public trans infrastructure. But Elon wants to talk about hyperloops when all we need is some trains. But that's too pragmatic and practical.

Thank you for mentioning trains!  So much could be improved by (relatively) simply refurbishing our rail systems.  But the oil companies don't want that, you know know Musk sure as hell doesn't want that! 
    Do we have enough nickel to support a fully electric future?  Are we trading one type of mining and natural resource destruction for another? And as nickel gets more expensive, will the cost efficient engine continue to be combustion?  

I don't honestly know if we have enough nickle (and rare earths) to support a fully electric future, M.  I doubt it, not in a world with 8 billion people.
    Yes, I believe we are trading one ecologically destructive practice for another.
    As for cost effectiveness of efficient engines for cars, I think in the long run that's a moot point for all but the most rural or remote places.  We really need to change our car-culture ways.  I'm not saying, "Get rid of your classic cars".  If I still had my '65 Malibu, I would restore it and drive it once in a while- a few hundred miles a year.  But for the most part, we need to get as many cars off the road as possible.  Refurbish rail systems, increase public transit, walk more, live close to school and work.  To me, that's the only solution that makes sense.
    YES AMERICA!!!! Get onto public trans etc. Leave Americas roads and highways to the truckers of this country. Help make OUR jobs safer.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    edited November 2022
    Basically my whole philosophy and argument comes down to this:

Street Space For 60 People Car Bus Bicycle  Pic and quot  Flickr

Basically one of the reasons I'd say Saturn went ass up - they were making an argument against themselves. Because this commercial was/is fucking dead-on:

https://youtu.be/e_oWmY_mkCA
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Basically my whole philosophy and argument comes down to this:

Street Space For 60 People Car Bus Bicycle  Pic and quot  Flickr

Basically one of the reasons I'd say Saturn went ass up - they were making an argument against themselves. Because this commercial was/is fucking dead-on:

https://youtu.be/e_oWmY_mkCA
    "Basically one of the reasons I'd say Saturn went ass up - they were making an argument against themselves. Because this commercial was/is fucking dead-on:"

Wow, not kidding!  Great point!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Up 500ish. Thanks Brandon! 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    It'll keep going down, Friday rally my man.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Hi! said:
    It'll keep going down, Friday rally my man.
    There's hope the economy is slowing,  therefore no more rate hikes.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    edited January 2023
    ^
    this

Although I believe they will still hike but the pace and amounts will be less than many feared. 

CPI next week is more important than wages going down a bit today. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I finalllllly after years of not dealing with some kind of a "save for the future" situation pushed in a lot of money into the stockmarket ilast fall and in JANUARYYYYYY... and then the war came... haha.:

Went down 15% last year. The average for the bank's customers was 22%, so I guess I did some things right. But still. Why didn't I put my money in, in like 2016? OR WHY NOT BE A LITTLE TINY BIT MORE LAZY AND WAITIT JUST A MONTH OR TWO POST WAR
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I finalllllly after years of not dealing with some kind of a "save for the future" situation pushed in a lot of money into the stockmarket ilast fall and in JANUARYYYYYY... and then the war came... haha.:

Went down 15% last year. The average for the bank's customers was 22%, so I guess I did some things right. But still. Why didn't I put my money in, in like 2016? OR WHY NOT BE A LITTLE TINY BIT MORE LAZY AND WAITIT JUST A MONTH OR TWO POST WAR
    You're young, you'll make money.  Yes, being lazy would have paid off a little, but no one ever gets the timing perfect.  Congrats on saving for your future. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759

It happens. May I suggest also investing in stocks that pay dividends? This way you’re getting paid while you’re holding the stock instead of only investing based on speculation and growth. I’ve day traded, swing traded for years and now have been solely focused on passive income trading/investing over the past 3 years. 
  • Options

Uh oh the turn toward becoming a Republican/Conservative has started.

I kid, I kid.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485

I did the same. I'm no expert but see it as a chance to get some more money in before they go up again. and I'm old.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,148
    The market was already going down before the war started.  The war poured gas on on the inflation fire, but it had already started and markets were already going down (they peaked the first week of 2022).  I think due to all the causes (governments spending money they didn't have, low interest rates, etc..).  The cat was already out of the bag.   The war added more problems to it, but the market was going down either way.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    The market was already going down before the war started.  The war poured gas on on the inflation fire, but it had already started and markets were already going down (they peaked the first week of 2022).  I think due to all the causes (governments spending money they didn't have, low interest rates, etc..).  The cat was already out of the bag.   The war added more problems to it, but the market was going down either way.
    What I am seeing now is all the new "experts" whether it was houses, sportscards or stocks whom were killing it when it was easy are getting killed right now.  People that listened to them got killed too and are all bowing out because making that money isn't as easy as they thought.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    That's also because sports cards are a secondary market that has zero value and moves with the overall economy. When the economy is doing well it's a luxury to deal pieces of cardboard. It's like people have amnesia from the greatest recession since the Great Depression 15 years ago and are acting like this is all new (and to clarify this is no where near the magnitude of what that was). History repeats itself, there's always con men to convince a fool to separate with their money. Only good part of that is the con men are also fools.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

You're young, you'll make money.  Yes, being lazy would have paid off a little, but no one ever gets the timing perfect.  Congrats on saving for your future. 
    ITS NOT ABOUT TIMING THE MARKET
    ITS ABOUT TIME IN THE MARKET
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    That's also because sports cards are a secondary market that has zero value and moves with the overall economy. When the economy is doing well it's a luxury to deal pieces of cardboard. It's like people have amnesia from the greatest recession since the Great Depression 15 years ago and are acting like this is all new (and to clarify this is no where near the magnitude of what that was). History repeats itself, there's always con men to convince a fool to separate with their money. Only good part of that is the con men are also fools.
    Cardboard will always have a value.  Not all cardboard will have it though, that is what the masses don't understand. Certain things are iconic and will never lose value.

People with extra money do throw it around rather carelessly when the getting is good, I will say that.
  • Options
    Cardboard will always have a value.  Not all cardboard will have it though, that is what the masses don't understand. Certain things are iconic and will never lose value.

People with extra money do throw it around rather carelessly when the getting is good, I will say that.
    This is true.  The value may stay, but the bidders will exit particularly from the lower parts of the luxury market.  My friend and I deal in cars and you can see the luxury/sports market of less than 100k is definitely dried up, but the very high end is still there.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

This is true.  The value may stay, but the bidders will exit particularly from the lower parts of the luxury market.  My friend and I deal in cars and you can see the luxury/sports market of less than 100k is definitely dried up, but the very high end is still there.  
    Yep seeing this now.  All the stuff people had that everyone threw money at is worthless and seeing more and more of it trying to be sold.  Everyone is still listening to the "influencers" so they all are monkey, see monkey do and forming the same patterns as what they've heard...

It gets annoying when I've been buying and selling the same way for years and johnny come latelys make me have to adjust.  If I have the inventory of what they want though I make a killing.  Aaron Judge and Julio Rodriguez were very good to me this year.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    High-end products that which demand outweighs supply will always have high values.

The intrinsic value of baseball cards is that there isn't any - there will always be value but it will always be relative to the overall market.

The moral of the story, with any boom (whether it be crypto, baseball cards, cars, tulips in the 17th century, etc etc etc) is to be able to identify a bubble early enough to make money off of it. Beyond that there is no underlying value.
  • Options
    High-end products that which demand outweighs supply will always have high values.

The intrinsic value of baseball cards is that there isn't any - there will always be value but it will always be relative to the overall market.

The moral of the story, with any boom (whether it be crypto, baseball cards, cars, tulips in the 17th century, etc etc etc) is to be able to identify a bubble early enough to make money off of it. Beyond that there is no underlying value.
    of course.  I've been dealing in cards for 35 years and understand the market.  What I had never seen was the covid spike of it.  That was intense.  Everyone wanted everything.  Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

What is good about it is I will be able to purchase the deemed worthless tulips from people for cheap and sit on them until the next boom.
  • Options
    Well yeah, people were bored & stuck inside, they needed something to do (with their money), this was prevalent everywhere.
  • Options
    Well yeah, people were bored & stuck inside, they needed something to do (with their money), this was prevalent everywhere.
    Not like this.  People from all over hopped on the train and actually had the 3 main grading companies stop taking cards because of a backlog.

Never has that happened.

People also started buying more crypto and sent that into the stratosphere.

NFT's?  People bought that crap too.  NBA Top Shots is the best example of it.  I didn't bother with it, though I should have bought and sold immediately if I did.

People did try their take on puts and calls so maybe that was a good thing they spent their money on?
  • Options
    The influencers are working their magic again.  Will be a squeeze on RIVN...

Lets see if they make it happen.
  • Options

didn't RIVN just lose a bunch of executives after missing delivery numbers?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

didn't RIVN just lose a bunch of executives after missing delivery numbers?
    Yes.  That is why they squeezed it.  It made a run up to 20 and then they dumped it.

RIVN I fully expect to drop to like 12 before anything goes up.  They can't keep anyone and that isn't good or execs just don't want to work on it.

Great product, nice trucks.
  • Options
    The Squeeze is on.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Does anybody here still believe in NFT's?

I still think it's the dumbest thing people put money into.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,867
    Does anybody here still believe in NFT's?

I still think it's the dumbest thing people put money into.
    I never even learned that much about NFTs. But I do know that I never got my NFT Pearl Jam tickets that TM was supposedly giving us from the tour last year. Did anyone else?