Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Since someone posted some Opus One a few days ago here's what I had to sample at work today.
    Both $200+ at retail and highly allocated. 
    The Les Pavots was amazing.

$200 for a California wine?  I thought Howell Mountain was the expensive region?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Since someone posted some Opus One a few days ago here's what I had to sample at work today.

$200 for a California wine?  I thought Howell Mountain was the expensive region?
    There are plenty of California wines that retail at $200+ and a few like Opus One that now retail at $300+.
  • Since someone posted some Opus One a few days ago here's what I had to sample at work today.

There are plenty of California wines that retail at $200+ and a few like Opus One that now retail at $300+.
    And I think they are all ridiculously overpriced.  Opus One is good, Heitz is good, anything from Howell Mountain is good.

I'll take a bottle of Seghesio or an Alexander Valley Rodney Strong though if I'm buying.  A nice Barolo perhaps.  Plenty of great wines without spending over $100 for a bottle.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Since someone posted some Opus One a few days ago here's what I had to sample at work today.

And I think they are all ridiculously overpriced.  Opus One is good, Heitz is good, anything from Howell Mountain is good.

I'll take a bottle of Seghesio or an Alexander Valley Rodney Strong though if I'm buying.  A nice Barolo perhaps.  Plenty of great wines without spending over $100 for a bottle.

I am not usually an expensive bottle is a great bottle, but the bottle of 1991 Opus One I had was the best booze I’ve had, I think.   Have had plenty of really good wine

Both wines you listed are awesome and generally agreed that there is PLENTY of great wine under $100…$50 for that matter

I am not usually an expensive bottle is a great bottle, but the bottle of 1991 Opus One I had was the best booze I’ve had, I think.   Have had plenty of really good wine

Both wines you listed are awesome and generally agreed that there is PLENTY of great wine under $100…$50 for that matter
    Did you have this at that fancy steak house here in NY?  I remember seeing that wine list and was like woahhhhh.  If that wasn’t you then someone on here did…

So yeah, I love good wine.  Hate paying for expensive wine but I will say that when you do and it’s really good it does bring an extra element to the senses, lol.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Big blue!!

• Big blue!!

I've had both.  I've also done the 12yo Lot B.  People say the 15yo pappy is the better one.  Haven't had it yet to try.

Anyone line them up and taste test?
    Big blue!!

I've had both.  I've also done the 12yo Lot B.  People say the 15yo pappy is the better one.  Haven't had it yet to try.

2 years ago I was able to sample the complete Pappy lineup from the 2020 release. As well as all the BTAC.
    The 15yr was the fave and most everyone didn't like 23yr too oakey.
    For me the ER17 was my fave of the BTAC.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I started following the "Buffalo Trace Daily" group on FB. They post what bottle is available in the gift shop each day.

If you don't know BT will let you buy ONE bottle every 90 days of Col Taylor, Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Weller, etc., that they make available daily in their gift shop. People line up early to get whatever is available and no one knows for sure until they open the shop.

They generally sell Buffalo Trace every day without limit (they might have a daily limit but not the 90 day limit) and their Wheatley Vodka, etc.

It's like PJ Merch...that line is 2 hours long every day.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

This is the line today....Blanton's I guess

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited January 2023

This is the line today....Blanton's I guess
    Bourbon Bros!

EDIT: So I just checked that site and they only offer regular bottles.  People wait 2 hrs for a regular damn bottle of Blantons or Taylor?  The Oak project would be cool to get as I have been dying to get one since I read about it.  I posted on here a while back about it.

2 hrs for a $63 bottle...  Come on now.  Why the hell are they doing that for?
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Big blue!!

2 years ago I was able to sample the complete Pappy lineup from the 2020 release. As well as all the BTAC.
    The 15yr was the fave and most everyone didn't like 23yr too oakey.
    For me the ER17 was my fave of the BTAC.
    Thanks for that.  I have heard that which is why I asked.  The 23 I had was 6 years ago now and I loved it.

For BTAC the William LaRue Weller has been my favorite.  A drop of water and that opened it right up.  Amazing flavor to that.  The ER17 has been a unicorn wrapped up in an enigma for me.  Unless you pay $5k it won't be bought out here.
    Had try these today...

• Had try these today...

How were they?  Owl bourbon and rye have been on my radar but I'm not paying the mark up for them.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Had try these today...

KO, in my opinion, has lost a bit over the years.  The OGs are still good, but not worth the price.  Wiseman is just trash.
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Won a chance to buy a bottle of Weller Full Proof at Total Wine...is that a big deal? Not super familiar with Weller
    A barrels worth of Eagle Rare

edited January 2023
    mommy

Can you sell any to me? Or is that forbidden?

• Jumb0 said:
    Won a chance to buy a bottle of Weller Full Proof at Total Wine...is that a big deal? Not super familiar with Weller
    Some would call it a unicorn because it's impossible to find, especially at MSRP. And the Weller lineup has bloodlines with Pappy, which makes people chase and hoard it.

If I had that chance, I'd take it every single time. It's delicious, and a great value at $50-60. Congrats!
    Jumb0 said:
    hell yeah

mommy

Not able to sell any 
    Some of it is for a loyalty event
    The rest is for a public sale 

• mommy

Not able to sell any 

Are they barrel picks?  If so, YES please!
    mommy

Not able to sell any 

I had to ask. I have yet to try Eagle Rare. It might as well be Pappy around here.

• mommy

Not able to sell any 

I had to ask. I have yet to try Eagle Rare. It might as well be Pappy around here.
    Seriously?  It's really good.  Want me to get you a bottle?  Last I checked these were easy enough to get.
    mommy

Not able to sell any 

Are they barrel picks?  If so, YES please!
    Yup it's our 4th barrel pick in the last 6 years 

mommy

Not able to sell any 

Seriously?  It's really good.  Want me to get you a bottle?  Last I checked these were easy enough to get.
    maybe...let me know cost. I don't mind paying some premium but I don't want to waste your time

• mommy

Not able to sell any 

maybe...let me know cost. I don't mind paying some premium but I don't want to waste your time
    I'll check prices and get back to you.  If they are overcharging I won;t bother and let you know.
    Jumb0 said:
    Weller Full Proof is fantastic (at retail).  I won a Weller FP store pick from Total Wine, last year or the year before and it is delicious!  The year before that I was selected for a EH Taylor Full Proof.  Also fantastic.  Those Total Wine "lotteries" or whatever they are, are pretty much my only chance at getting really good bottles.  I'm not a hunter, I don't wait in lines....I'm more of a "I'm gonna check out the whiskey section" while I'm at the store and hope for the best.  That and Total Wine's thing.  
    mommy

Not able to sell any 

It is good whiskey for sure, but not above MSRP.  At MSRP it punches way above it's price point.
  • Saw a FB post w a guy and 6 bottles of Buffalo Trace in his cart.  I told him that isn't rare but if people like you buy all of it up then it will create a false scarcity.

He replied that they do not see it down where he is often so he loads up.  

I told him to re read what I wrote...

Buffalo Trace rare?  Really?

Also A local spot I go to has Blantons for get this... $169!  GTFOH.