Whiskey Clique

Comments

• smile6680smile6680 Posts: 335

I have a couple lines in the water for 9,11,and 13 year old. All would be at MSRP if it comes through. Cost would be between roughly 119-149$ a piece. I don't have my hopes up though. 
  • smile6680 said:

Stagg Jr 49.99. Maine is a price-controlled state. 3 bottles total. two batch #18 and a batch#17. Blantons was 60$

Batch 18 no longer has the "jr" on the label.
    I miss Stagg Jr. It used to sit on the shelves collecting dust in my area. The first one I bought was Batch 12. So, so good. I grabbed 4 bottles and left about 10 on the shelves. Same thing with Batch 13 and 14. They were all $50. But now I haven't seen a bottle in two years and I'm not sure I ever will again. I still have one bottle left of each, and I'll treat them like irreplaceable liquid gold at this point.
    smile6680 said:

Stagg Jr 49.99. Maine is a price-controlled state. 3 bottles total. two batch #18 and a batch#17. Blantons was 60$

I miss Stagg Jr. It used to sit on the shelves collecting dust in my area. The first one I bought was Batch 12. So, so good. I grabbed 4 bottles and left about 10 on the shelves. Same thing with Batch 13 and 14. They were all $50. But now I haven't seen a bottle in two years and I'm not sure I ever will again. I still have one bottle left of each, and I'll treat them like irreplaceable liquid gold at this point.
    I couldn't believe they were just sitting there the other day. Only time I have seen them in years
  • smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

I couldn't believe they were just sitting there the other day. Only time I have seen them in years
    I'm in Nevada, where it's a total free-for-all. These days, you basically have to know somebody to get access to the good stuff, or pay exorbitant prices. Do you think living in a control state gives you better access?

I went to Oregon recently, another control state, and they post bottle counts online for all the stores statewide so you know what's available. It seemed like a better system where you could actually score some good bottles if you tried hard enough. No sales tax too!
    edited January 2023
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

I'm in Nevada, where it's a total free-for-all. These days, you basically have to know somebody to get access to the good stuff, or pay exorbitant prices. Do you think living in a control state gives you better access?

I went to Oregon recently, another control state, and they post bottle counts online for all the stores statewide so you know what's available. It seemed like a better system where you could actually score some good bottles if you tried hard enough. No sales tax too!
    Maine and New Hampshire pretty much put all their hard to get whiskeys in different lotteries. It's tough to get chosen. I've been lucky, but mostly strike out. Ten years ago, before the bourbon craze I could get just about anything at retail price. I never cared to because I never thought stuff would get this hard to get. 

Virginia seems to have the best system as a controlled state. They do lotteries and random drops. If you have the time or a flexible schedule it works out great. Sounds similar to Oregon

Post edited by smile6680 on
  • smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:
    I picked up a couple bottles of Blantons and more importantly a couple Stagg Jr. 

Stagg Jr is practically impossible to get around here.
    What did you pay for those?  That stuff I would be able to get all the time.  It's two that the Bourbon boys seem to gravitate to.

GOOD for you!!!
  • smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

Maine and New Hampshire pretty much put all their hard to get whiskeys in different lotteries. It's tough to get chosen. I've been lucky, but mostly strike out. Ten years ago, before the bourbon craze I could get just about anything at retail price. I never cared to because I never thought stuff would get this hard to get. 

Virginia seems to have the best system as a controlled state. They do lotteries and random drops. If you have the time or a flexible schedule it works out great. Sounds similar to Oregon

Someone heard Pappy is rare, it got stolen, hey that is on the shelf at my store, hey I can make money on it and boom.  Another free market has gone crazy from people who want to make money.

I picked up a barrel pick Elijah Craig a few months ago and finally got around to drinking it and it was great.

I dig these barrel picks by the stores more than anything now it seems.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

Yep.  It's pretty sad.  I get why they don't just put the really good stuff out on the shelf because assholes just want to resell it but it also sucks that at a lot of stores you have to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars a month just to get access to the really good stuff.  I like the stores that do lotteries for the allocated stuff.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    edited January 2023
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

Yep.  It's pretty sad.  I get why they don't just put the really good stuff out on the shelf because assholes just want to resell it but it also sucks that at a lot of stores you have to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars a month just to get access to the really good stuff.  I like the stores that do lotteries for the allocated stuff.
    same...it's a pain in the ass but at least you have a chance

I mentioned it on here before but a liquor group in our area does a "Whiskeyfest" type event where you pay $60 or so to attend and get an appetizer buffet, samplings and a raffle ticket to pick from the allocated stock (at retail). Last year we snagged a bottle of Stagg Jr and a Weller Reserve. Year before that a Col Taylor.

You're at the mercy of the draw but you know you will at least get out of there with something decent that is hard to find on a shelf....even if it is just a bottle of Buffalo Trace or New Riff, etc.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

same...it's a pain in the ass but at least you have a chance

I mentioned it on here before but a liquor group in our area does a "Whiskeyfest" type event where you pay $60 or so to attend and get an appetizer buffet, samplings and a raffle ticket to pick from the allocated stock (at retail). Last year we snagged a bottle of Stagg Jr and a Weller Reserve. Year before that a Col Taylor.

You're at the mercy of the draw but you know you will at least get out of there with something decent that is hard to find on a shelf....even if it is just a bottle of Buffalo Trace or New Riff, etc.
    Sounds like a good time.

Taylor we can find here for Small batch.  I don't know what the other more expensive stuff is.  I had the Small Batch and was unimpressed.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

Someone heard Pappy is rare, it got stolen, hey that is on the shelf at my store, hey I can make money on it and boom.  Another free market has gone crazy from people who want to make money.

I picked up a barrel pick Elijah Craig a few months ago and finally got around to drinking it and it was great.

We found 2 cases of our most recent Elijah Craig BP barrel pick a couple of weeks ago. Put them out with no notice. They were gone, 1 per person, in less than 4 hrs. Most if not all went to bourbon bros and will probably  be traded or resold but not drunk by the original purchaser. 
  • smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

We found 2 cases of our most recent Elijah Craig BP barrel pick a couple of weeks ago. Put them out with no notice. They were gone, 1 per person, in less than 4 hrs. Most if not all went to bourbon bros and will probably  be traded or resold but not drunk by the original purchaser. 
    Seriously?  Store picks are being traded and resold?  Dear lord.  

My love for the store picks is that they are cheap and have really, really good bourbon in them and aren't cut.  I would never buy one on a secondary market, jeeze louise.
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

My love for the store picks is that they are cheap and have really, really good bourbon in them and aren't cut.  I would never buy one on a secondary market, jeeze louise.
    If they are allocated then yes bought, sold. And traded.
    Last year we sold a barrel of Eagle Rare, 1 bottle per person, in 82 minutes.
    Bottles were offered for sale and trade online within an hour.
  • smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

I guess the bigger company's they go after?  I can see that but not to resell...

A store pick though is not really allocated?  They get however many a barrel fills is what I understand?  A dozen or so cases?  So far I have done Elijah Craig, Dickel, Angels Envy and one other that I forget...

It's what I go to bigger spots for now.
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:
    smile6680 said:

I guess the bigger company's they go after?  I can see that but not to resell...

A store pick though is not really allocated?  They get however many a barrel fills is what I understand?  A dozen or so cases?  So far I have done Elijah Craig, Dickel, Angels Envy and one other that I forget...

It's what I go to bigger spots for now.
    All depends on the booze.
    Eagle Rare we sold roughly 200 bottles. (6 per case)
    We had a barrel of El Major tequila 200+
    There was a cask strength barrel of a bourbon I can't remember it was less than 150 bottles.
    Elijah Craig BP was 180ish bottles (12 per case)

Angels share takes a good portion of the older boozier barrels.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    unfortunately I couldn't make that whiskeyfest....but look at all those bottles of Col Taylor and Blanton's

• Saw that Big bad Whistle Pig bottle.  I never hear anyone trying that.  At $500 a bottle no less too.  Saw my Larue Weller BTAC....  One day.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Is Jack Daniels whiskey or bourbon? I tried looking up online and was confused. It’s a mash, no? So does that mean bourbon whiskey? 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

It must be bourbon because they make a plain rye.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Was thinkin’ ‘bout makin’ some “Whiskey Gingers” and it calls for rye, but I usually just drink reg Jack.

Hi! said:
    Is Jack Daniels whiskey or bourbon? I tried looking up online and was confused. It’s a mash, no? So does that mean bourbon whiskey? 
    I believe it has to have certain corn percentage (51-80%?) in it and has to be produced in Kentucky to be considered bourbon. 

Kind of like champagne has to be produced in France or it's just sparkling wine. I could be wrong though. 

smile6680 said:
    Hi! said:
    I believe it has to have certain corn percentage (51-80%?) in it and has to be produced in Kentucky to be considered bourbon. 

Kind of like champagne has to be produced in France or it's just sparkling wine. I could be wrong though. 

Ok. That’s kind of what I had read. Makes sense. Something along those lines. I’ll read up some more when I have time.

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    smile6680 said:
    Hi! said:

Bourbon can be produced outside of Kentucky.

Bourbon qualifications are:
    1. Must be produced in the USA.
    2. Consist of a mash of at least 51% corn
    3. Stored in a new container of charred oak.
    4. Distilled to no higher than 160 proof.
    5. Entered into oak container at no higher than 125 proof.
    6. Bottled at at least 80 proof.

There is no minimum aging required, but to be labeled "straight bourbon" it has to be aged a minimum of 2 years.

By those specifications, Jack Daniels qualifies as a bourbon. Most whiskeys labeled as Tennessee Whiskey are technically bourbons, but they don't want to be labeled as a bourbon.
    Hi! said:
    Technically it is not
    I believe it is explained on their website.
    Plus if it was it would be on the label
    Hi! said:
    Technically it is not
    I believe it is explained on their website.
    Plus if it was it would be on the label
    Ok, that makes sense. I’ll probably just opt for the Jack Daniels Rye because that is “straight” whiskey. I think, lol. No biggie.

Is the Dylan Whiskey any good? Thought about picking up a bottle sometime. Looks like he has 3 kinds. Double Barrel, Bourbon, and Rye. Little expensive, prolly just paying for the name.

Since someone posted some Opus One a few days ago here's what I had to sample at work today.
    Both $200+ at retail and highly allocated. 
    The Les Pavots was amazing.

• Speaking of expensive and allocated, I picked this up yesterday. Never seen one in the wild before. Paid double retail, which I generally refuse to do, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity.