The Golf Thread

Comments

• He has previously said he won't use a cart.  Purity and history of the game, etc.  I guess he could reconsider.  Doubt he will.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Up until Tiger, and excluding Gary Player, it was beer bellies conquering the tour.   Walking is overrated.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Even if you hate the guy, are there really more than 10 players on the PGA tour you would rather watch then Tiger?  

Barry Bonds was a steriod taking cheater, but still fun to watch hit a baseball.  
    He was a lot more fun before steroids, in my opinion. 
    Who? Barry or Tiger? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    ddeschler said:
    He has previously said he won't use a cart.  Purity and history of the game, etc.  I guess he could reconsider.  Doubt he will.
    He said this week he’ll never use a cart 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wobbie said:
    Even if you hate the guy, are there really more than 10 players on the PGA tour you would rather watch then Tiger?  

Barry Bonds was a steriod taking cheater, but still fun to watch hit a baseball.  
    Bonds. Sure he hit a ton of homeruns and walked to first base a lot after he started juicing but he was a more complete player prior to that. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    edited December 2022
    Wobbie said:

Bonds. Sure he hit a ton of homeruns and walked to first base a lot after he started juicing but he was a more complete player prior to that. 
    He was a great five tool player.  He could do it all, in a way that very few can (Griffey, Roberto Alomar, Winfield, A-Rod). 

Oh and Ichiro.. That guy could have hit 30 HRs a year easily, if that's where he focused.  I am leaving out the players that played before I was alive.. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    Finished 2022 off in style by obliterating my best score and breaking 80 for the first time. 76 on NYE in a near constant drizzle and really thick fog for quite a few holes.

Short game was on point (slow greens helped) .Only had 1 bad putt all day and if I wasn't in the fairway, I was just off. Only had to go looking in the rough more than a few minutes once. Your Jugger was dialed in, folks. With that kind of weather I was preparing myself for losing a shitload of balls, but ended up playing the same one all day. 

My biggest concern as the back 9 went on was not my game, but just that the rain would hold up so we could finish the round .Like I was positive I was gonna be in the 70's. That's how confident I was. 

Meanwhile....I played the same course 4 months ago in perfect conditions.... and shot a 98. What a crazy fucking game.

Happy New Year!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited January 2023
    THat's awesome Juggler!  Way to finish strong.  

I played my best 11 holes last week at a course I have never played.  Maderas Golf Club near San Diego.  Really fun course.  Was 3 over at the turn and birdied 10 and 11 to be 1 over.  9 of first 11 greens in regulation. Ended up with an 84.  A couple bad drives and a couple bad bounces and that was that.  Anything under 120 and I was pin high every time.  I was playing with strangers and just laughing because I just don't play that well ever.  One of those rounds where you are 30 yards off the green and decide to put an 8 iron on your right foot and run it up and get up and down for birdie.  Came back to earth though so they saw my 13 handicap at its finest.  

It helped that we played from the fourth set of tees at 6400 (not realizing it wasn't a windy day and the course is very hilly so it probably played like 6000 to 6100 on a flat course.  I am fine leaving ego at the door and playing the tees for my handicap.  Much more fun that way.   It also brings a lot more strategy into play too.  I hit my drives 230-250, so if I play from the second set of tees, 95% of the time I'm hitting driver on a par 4 or par 5.  Playing up a little I get to decide if I want to hit 3-wood, hybrid or even 5 iron on some par 4's and trust the iron game.  

Played two days ago and shot a 41-51.   Game just leaves me on the back nine.   Mental weakness.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    That’s awesome. Congrats dude. 
    Watched the full season of No Laying Up’s Tourist Sauce. Awesome stuff. Haven’t watched a full season of it in a while, but this one was very good. 
    edited January 2023
    Rahm was saying the Masters dinner could be tense.  If anything, the current PGA players should be thanking the LIV golfers for the higher PGA purses this year.  

I need to watch the new season of NLU.  Looks like some cool courses. 

Do you think JT and Spieth would be doing the NLU show from Kapalua without the PIP ?   Maybe, but makes sense the players are giving this access to the podcasters.  Will be a fun watch.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    Rahm was saying the Masters dinner could be tense.  If anything, the current PGA players should be thanking the LIV golfers for the higher PGA purses this year.  

I need to watch the new season of NLU.  Looks like some cool courses. 

Do you think JT and Spieth would be doing the NLU show from Kapalua without the PIP ?   Maybe, but makes sense the players are giving this access to the podcasters.  Will be a fun watch.
    NLU, JT and all that...I assume this was maybe set up through Titleist and that new partnership? Apparently Speith was an unexpected add on and NLU has always been tight with JT so there is something there, but I mean, it's always about the money...Looking forward to watching it, but it's pretty long...90 minutes, I think I saw.

KAPALUA TONIGHT!!!

Totally forgot the Hawaii swing starts this week. Nice.

When the hell is that Netflix show supposed to start?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Ummmmmm…they just had a drone follow that rahm shot and it was incredible. NBC (and PGA) stepping up their game?!

kapalua fucking rules

I’d assume soon! Think I saw on Twitter they’re talking to players about this season now 
    edited January 2023

I’d assume soon! Think I saw on Twitter they’re talking to players about this season now 
    Doesn't it seem odd that its like a documentary about last season that would now be airing this season? I guess I was expecting it to be sort of like Hard Knocks where it's more current. Either way, I can't wait to watch 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Doesn't it seem odd that its like a documentary about last season that would now be airing this season? I guess I was expecting it to be sort of like Hard Knocks where it's more current. Either way, I can't wait to watch 
    I think I heard on a podcast somewhere that it's coming out sometime in February after the Super Bowl.

Love the Hawaii swing to start off the year...can't beat primetime golf.
    The NLU Kapalua match is fun. Definitely set up through Titleist 

The NLU Kapalua match is fun. Definitely set up through Titleist 

Yeah that was pretty good.  Going with Titleist is going to open up a lot more for them
  • Kapalua has always been a special place, but boy it’s in the best shape Ever this week !! I highly recommend making this tournament someday…ticket prices are low, the weather is always perfect, and everyone is all about the Aloha….
    We always run into players all over w/ their familes…earlier this week at the beach we saw JT and Spieph trying to learn how to surf, it was hysterical w/ smiles all around.  
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Was watching an old interview with Letterman and Iggy Pop. Near the end Dave starts to ask Iggy about golf. Wow…who knew. Iggy has a real passion for the sport. Dave was asking if they had any clubs or balls in studio and was going to put Iggy to the test. Iggy seemed very confident and up to the challenge but it was the end of the interview and they just kind of let well enough alone. Just thought I’d share. Thanks

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Nice to see Morikowa putting so well this week. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Holy fuck how did I miss the last 2 hours of this?!? Rahm might win every tournament?
    Helluva a round.  That is what happens at this tourney.  Morikawa had a 6 shot lead coming in and would have needed a 4 under round to win.  Crazy.
    Can't wait.  Shocked that they got Rory to be involved.  I don't think he was one of the golfers featured when they originally announced it...
    Hell yeah! 

Maybe Rory was added late? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Sounds like it was just one sit down maybe? Assume as the LIV stuff was going down maybe?
    edited January 2023
    Nice win for Rahm.  Was interesting that coming into this week that Cantlay could have jumped to #1 but even if Rahm won he couldn't get to #1.  But Rahm entered the week ahead of Cantlay.  Crazy system.

I've played the Stadium Course the last two falls.  It is a fun course to play.  From the tees I play I wouldn't say it is the most difficult course I've ever played, but plenty of chances to drown a ball in the water if you are off that day, and a few holes where if you miss the green on the wrong side it is going to be a difficult up and down.  Paid less than $100 each round in October.  Just have to deal with 100 degree temps which isn't too bad.  

Moving to South Carolina this spring so year-round golf now for the bootlegger!