~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Travelling home for Christmas later today. Just an hour long trip and my cat is calm whether I'm travelling by car or train.

How are your cats with travelling?
    I don’t travel with them there’s always someone home to take care both of them and my pug Twinkie! 
    Likewise... the only time my cats leave the house is to go to the vet. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Travelling home for Christmas later today. Just an hour long trip and my cat is calm whether I'm travelling by car or train.

I don’t travel with them there’s always someone home to take care both of them and my pug Twinkie! 
    Yep that’s it, vet and back home 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    AS242348 said:
    First post on this thread but have been reading with interest for a while. We have two cats (rescued together) and realised very early on that one is more dominant than the other with food so we invested in a pair of these and haven’t looked back!

https://www.surepetcare.com/en-gb/pet-feeder/microchip-pet-feeder
    We don't have a big problem with that but my guess would be the dominant cat would come running as soon as he heard food drop.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Travelling home for Christmas later today. Just an hour long trip and my cat is calm whether I'm travelling by car or train.

Yep that’s it, vet and back home 
    same...we can't even board one of our cats. He just gets too upset.

A few years ago we went to Gulf Shores for a week and dropped both cats off at PetSuites which is a decent kennel. They have really nice suites for cats and since our two guys were best buddies we just had them share a suite.

About an hour into our trip we get a call that one of the cats was attacking the other and that they felt like they needed to separate them. I immediately thought it was Hans because he is the bigger more dominant cat at home but it was little timid Simba that was beating the shit out of him.  Simba was just miserable the whole time. When we drove him home he screamed the whole way and then surveyed every inch of the house when he got back bitching the entire time. Lesson learned.

We got a dog a year ago and he absolutely loves PetSuites. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Here they are snoozing on a heated blanket. Somehow Simba ended up with his face in Hans' groin.

Here they are snoozing on a heated blanket. Somehow Simba ended up with his face in Hans' groin.
    lol nice 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694

Cute. My cats gets all tangled up like that as well. 
  • I wish ours would. The closest they ever get is when they are play fighting and they paused long enough for my wife to take this photo.

London O2 Arena 2009
    London Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester MEN Arena 2 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome 2 2012
    Vienna Stadhalle 2014
    London O2 Arena 1 2018
    London O2 Arena 2 2018
    London Hyde Park 2 2022
    AS242348 said:
    I wish ours would. The closest they ever get is when they are play fighting and they paused long enough for my wife to take this photo.

Nice 😊 
  • Nuala is turning out to be one affectionate & gentle kitty. Her temperament seems perfect so far. She does have something going on for which we’ll need to isolate her for at least 5 days until the meds (hopefully) do their trick. (Big thanks to Glowgirl… her advice prompted me to call the vet in advance of the appointment & it helped us get ahead of this). We feel bad leaving her cooped up in this room, but it’s only temporary, & it’s not a bad thing, Chains is going to need the time to adjust. She’s fuggin’ PISSED about there being a new cat in the house. 

Here’s her “I just hissed 3 times at an empty carrier” face. 

Nuala is turning out to be one affectionate & gentle kitty. Her temperament seems perfect so far. She does have something going on for which we’ll need to isolate her for at least 5 days until the meds (hopefully) do their trick. (Big thanks to Glowgirl… her advice prompted me to call the vet in advance of the appointment & it helped us get ahead of this). We feel bad leaving her cooped up in this room, but it’s only temporary, & it’s not a bad thing, Chains is going to need the time to adjust. She’s fuggin’ PISSED about there being a new cat in the house. 

Here’s her “I just hissed 3 times at an empty carrier” face. 

I am glad to have helped. Just give Chains a lot of extra attention these days. She will adjust. Her hissy face is adorable. 
    Orin is not too happy with the cold weather it’s only 10 degrees with wind chill making it feel like -11! Sitting right underneath their window to go in&out 
    edited December 2022
    My cats are indoor cats only, but I am sure they would not want to go outside today either. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • I’m not convinced Nuala isn’t half bat. 

I’m not convinced Nuala isn’t half bat. 

Those ears  are great! How is she feeling? how is Chains doing?
  • GlowGirl said:
    I’m not convinced Nuala isn’t half bat. 

Those ears  are great! How is she feeling? how is Chains doing?
    Yeah, her colors are great too.. she has a small face but a big head & ears, definitely looks like demon spawn in some pictures, which I love.

Overall she's doing really well; she's getting increasingly pissed about being cooped up in the room, she's made multiple attempts to jump over the baby gate when we come in... one of the times she crashed the gate & knocked over, it was pretty funny. She's doing fine health wise from what I can tell... fingers crossed the medication is working, I'm sick of pinning her down to squirt liquid meds in her mouth. She's been as good about it as she could be considering she hates it as much as I do. No aggression when it happens, she just tries to wiggle away & whines a little. 

Chains is a bit of a tougher case... we've only allowed them to check each other out through the gate, and there's still more hissing from her than I like. Granted, it's only been a week and a half, but we really want to let Nuala, out into the rest of the house. It's hard having the zoomies when you're confined to one room. 

RE: Nuala's adjustment, she's doing great being in the new home. She's super affectionate w/ me & my wife... very sweet and gentle; if anything she gets mad when we leave, she doesn't like being cooped up & left alone. 

Fingers crossed for a clean BOH from the vet next week. 
    Good luck. I have a tip for squirting meds in their mouth. One of my cats has IBD and she has been on meds since June where I have to squirt a small dose in her mouth twice a day. What I do is wait until she is eating then I just lift her head really quick and squirt the meds in. She doesn’t even flinch and goes right back to eating. Just make sure the medicine doesn’t have to be given on an empty stomach. 

As far as Chains - there may be more hissing and growling when you let Nuala out. It is inevitable. I think I mentioned that since my older cat was so friendly and social with my other cat I thought he would take to the new cat really fast. Nope. It took a good two weeks and he was a wreck. He even threw up a few times and wasn’t eating as well. I tried that Feliway plug-in stuff for a few weeks and it seemed to help a bit. Now they are best buds. So give Chains some time.
  • Appreciate all the advice. Chains is a diva & always has been… I can tell there’s a genuine curiosity and after encountering N, C is very friendly & affectionate w/ us, the opposite of anxious or agitated. Baby steps… I think they’ll be fine. 

Fingers crossed there’s little need for much more medicine, but appreciate the advice all the same. 
    Sometimes we just like to cuddle together! 
    Beauties! 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    That’s sweet. 

It’s been a long first week of coexistence, but there’s been significant progress over here. 

That’s sweet. 

It’s been a long first week of coexistence, but there’s been significant progress over here. 

That is great for one week. Let’s see where they are in two more weeks. 

It’s cute how his tail is wrapped around her. 
    Very sweet 
    Pretty wild considering where we were just a week ago. 

That is awesome!! It shouldn’t be much longer. 

Great news! I’m sure they will adjust and realize that having each other is so much fun! 
    edited January 2023
    A still from a video I took earlier… Nuala needs to watch her back.

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
    Did Chains pounce on her?
    GlowGirl said:
    Did Chains pounce on her?
    No, she took a side swipe at Nuala when she landed & slid next to her; it was pretty great to catch in a recording... they're still getting to know each other; there's still some hissing and swiping here & there, but there's also a lot chasing each other up & down the place in a playful way, so I think we're good.