*** DONALD J TRUMP HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN INDICTED ***

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    another special counsel. garbage. 

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdtn/jack-smith
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    some are saying this is very bad for trump because it means a definite indictment. but i believe this is good for trump because it means nothing will happen until after nov 2024 election.

if republicans take the presidency and both houses, they can sack garland, and his replacement can end the special counsel.

cowardly move by garland in my opinion. kick the can down the road.

no it doesnt. I expect by June next year....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Garland names special counsel to lead Trump-related probes
    By ERIC TUCKER and MICHAEL BALSAMO
    57 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Merrick Garland named a special counsel on Friday to oversee the Justice Department’s investigation into the presence of classified documents at former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate as well as key aspects of a separate probe involving the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection and efforts to undo the 2020 election.

The appointment of veteran prosecutor Jack Smith, announced just three days after Trump formally launched his 2024 candidacy, is a recognition of the unmistakable political implications of two investigations that involve not only a former president but also a current White House hopeful. It installs a new chain of command over sensitive probes seen as likely to accelerate now that the midterm elections have concluded, with Garland citing Trump's entry into the race and President Joe Biden's stated intention to run again as reasons for Smith's appointment.

“The Department of Justice has long recognized that in certain extraordinary cases, it is in the public’s interest to appoint a special prosecutor to independently manage an investigation and prosecution,” Garland said from the Justice Department’s podium.

Smith, who led the Justice Department’s public integrity section in Washington and later served as the acting chief federal prosecutor in Nashville, Tennessee, during the Obama administration, is set to begin his work immediately, Garland said. He has been serving since 2018 as chief prosecutor for the special court in the Hague that is tasked with investigating international war crimes.

The Justice Department described Smith as a registered independent, an effort to blunt any attack of perceived political bias. Trump is a Republican, and Biden is a Democrat.

“Throughout his career, Jack Smith has built a reputation as an impartial and determined prosecutor who leads teams with energy and focus to follow the facts wherever they lead,” Garland said. “As special counsel, he will exercise independent prosecutorial judgment to decide whether charges should be brought.”

“The extraordinary circumstances here demand it,” Garland said of the appointment.

In a statement released by the Justice Department, Smith said he intended to do his work independently and “in the best traditions of the Department of Justice."

“The pace of the investigations will not pause or flag under my watch," he vowed.

A Trump spokesperson responded to the appointment by calling it “a totally expected political stunt by a feckless, politicized, weaponized Biden Department of Justice.”

As special counsel, Smith will inherit two ongoing probes that both touch Trump. One concerns potential interference in the transfer of power following the 2020 presidential election, when Trump allies scrambled for ways to overturn the results of the contest won by Biden, and the other is into the retention of classified documents at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida.

The Mar-a-Lago probe has escalated especially quickly, with prosecutors this month granting immunity to a close Trump ally to secure his testimony before a federal grand jury. Investigators in that case have interviewed a broad range of witnesses and, in court filings, have cited the presence of top-secret materials in Mar-a-Lago despite strict procedures governing the handling of classified information — as well as efforts to obstruct that probe.

Though Smith will be empowered to prosecute federal crimes arising from his investigation, Garland still retains ultimate oversight of his work. Under federal regulations, should the attorney general reject any proposed investigative move by Smith, the department would then be required to notify members of Congress.

Lanny Breuer, who led the department's criminal division when Smith ran the public integrity section, called Smith “an exquisite lawyer and an exquisite prosecutor.”

“He’s not political at all," Breuer said. "He’s straight down the middle.”

The appointment of a special counsel is likely to raise questions with members of Congress eager for updates on the status of the investigations. And the decision to appoint someone from outside the department was notable given how Garland has repeatedly stressed his determination to restore political independence to the agency following the tumultuous years of the Trump administration.

And there does not seem to be an obvious conflict like the one that prompted the last appointment of a special counsel to handle Trump-related investigations. The Trump Justice Department named former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel to lead the investigation into potential coordination between Russia and the Trump 2016 presidential campaign, a nod to the inherent conflict of the department investigating the president who controls the executive branch.

Smith grew up in upstate New York and graduated from Harvard Law School. He told The Associated Press in 2010 that he saw the role of a prosecutor as serving people like his parents and others he grew up with in the town of Clay.

“They pay their taxes, follow the rules, and they expect their public officials to do the same,” he said then.

He had been brought into the Justice Department at the time to see the department’s then-troubled Public Integrity Section, which was battered publicly for failing to turn over exculpatory evidence in the criminal trial of former Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, a Republican. Supporters lauded him as apolitical and hardworking.

Smith wouldn’t discuss the cases he was overseeing, though the public integrity unit during his tenure ended several long-running investigations of high-profile political figures including former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, a Texas Republican.

When there isn’t sufficient evidence to bring a case, “you have to be able to admit that if it’s not there, it’s not there,” Smith said. “I think that’s hard for people to do, and having been a prosecutor for 15 years that is something I can do.”

___

Associated Press writers Jill Colvin, Colleen Long, Zeke Miller and Nomaan Merchant contributed to this report.

gift article.....

Garland names special counsel for Trump Mar-a-Lago, 2020 election probes
    By Perry Stein and Devlin Barrett
    November 18, 2022 at 15:38 ET
    Attorney General Merrick Garland named a special counsel to oversee criminal probes of Donald Trump’s possible mishandling of classified documents at his Florida home, as well as key aspects of the sprawling Jan. 6 case — acknowledging the political sensitivity of investigating a former president who is again seeking office.
    Garland announced his decision Friday afternoon, tapping Jack Smith, a longtime federal prosecutor who has in recent years been working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. The announcement comes three days after Trump formally declared himself a 2024 candidate for president.
    “Based on recent developments, including the former president’s announcement that he is a candidate for president in the next election, and the sitting president’s stated intention to be a candidate as well, I have concluded that it is in the public interest to appoint a special counsel,” Garland said at the Justice Department.
    A special counsel appointment “is the right thing to do,” the attorney general said. “The extraordinary circumstances presented here demand it. Mr. Smith is the right choice to complete these matters in an even-handed and urgent manner.”
    Both Garland and Smith pledged that the appointment will not slow down the investigations.
    “I intend to conduct the assigned investigations, and any prosecutions that may result from them, independently and in the best traditions of the Department of Justice. The pace of the investigations will not pause or flag under my watch,” Smith said in a written statement. “I will exercise independent judgement and will move the investigations forward expeditiously and thoroughly to whatever outcome the facts and the law dictate.”
    [Investigators see ego, not money as Trump's motive in keeping classified documents at Mar-a-Lago]
    Garland signed a two-page order authorizing the special counsel to take over “the ongoing investigation into whether any person or entity violated the law in connection with efforts to interfere with the lawful transfer of power following the 2020 presidential election or the certification of the Electoral College vote held on or about January 6, 2021, as well as any matters that arose or might arise directly from this investigation.”
    The order said the special counsel will not be responsible for cases involving those who were physically present at the Capitol on Jan. 6 — leaving those to the Washington, D.C. U.S. Attorney’s office which has been pursuing those investigations since the day of the riot. So far, more than 900 people have been charged.
    Well before Friday’s announcement, Justice Department officials discussed the possibility of appointing a special counsel to take over investigations involving Trump — such as the Mar-a-Lago case or the attempts to prevent Joe Biden from ascending to the presidency after the 2020 election — if Trump formally declared himself a candidate, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.
    Some former Justice Department officials had urged the attorney general not to appoint a special counsel, arguing it would delay charging decisions deep into the 2024 election cycle, which could be damaging to both the political process and the department. Other former federal prosecutors contend that Garland has little choice but to make such an appointment, since this is the type of scenario in which the special counsel regulations were meant to be applied.
    By comparison, Robert S. Mueller III — appointed by Trump deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein — spent about two years as special counsel probing alleged links between Russian election interference and the Trump campaign. Special counsel John Durham was appointed more than two years ago by a different Trump attorney general, William P. Barr, to continue investigating the origins of that Russia investigation; Durham is still serving as special counsel and is expected to end his work in coming months.

continues....

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    mrussel1 said:
    some are saying this is very bad for trump because it means a definite indictment. but i believe this is good for trump because it means nothing will happen until after nov 2024 election.

if republicans take the presidency and both houses, they can sack garland, and his replacement can end the special counsel.

cowardly move by garland in my opinion. kick the can down the road.
    I'm not following the logic here.  

Why do you think nothing will happen after Nov 24?  The goal of the dept will be to determine any indictments WELL before the 2024 cycle heats up.  That means sometime next year for sure, probably mid year.  All of your other statements flow from that assumption.  And if the R took the White House, the Republicans wouldn't 'sack" Garland.  He would be gone at inauguration by tradition, since he's a cabinet member.  Either way, this is getting wrapped up way before any of that.  
    i am going by the watergate timeline. it would be 1.5 years from now, but if trump is the frontrunner for the gop ticket at that time, it would be seen as incredibly political to indict at that time.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I have a feeling Russell and Mick are right based on what I've seen tweeted by people like Andrew Weissmann. The Mara Lago case is a slam dunk and most of the work is already done. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    i am sick of reading about special prosecutor accomplishments and resume/cv.

show me a fucking indictment, or fuck off with the whole thing.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    THE FIELD

Yeah me too! Screw how great you are as a prosecutor to me it’s more like all these folks are totally scared of ruffling the orange feathers ! Muller & Comey did the same thing specially Comey he’s the one that should get the blame dropping that bomb on HRC in 16! And here we are still walking on eggshells because of the orange turd.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Yeah me too! Screw how great you are as a prosecutor to me it’s more like all these folks are totally scared of ruffling the orange feathers ! Muller & Comey did the same thing specially Comey he’s the one that should get the blame dropping that bomb on HRC in 16! And here we are still walking on eggshells because of the orange turd.

Mueller acted within the bounds of his mandate. ledt the evidence for those with the balls to use after fuckstick was out of office.

maybe you folks should have a clear understanding of what their jobs are actually are, what they are legally allowed to do and whether you actually believe in the rule of law.

THE FIELD
    mickeyrat said:

Mueller acted within the bounds of his mandate. ledt the evidence for those with the balls to use after fuckstick was out of office.

maybe you folks should have a clear understanding of what their jobs are actually are, what they are legally allowed to do and whether you actually believe in the rule of law.
    No I know your correct but it just seems like it’s the same thing over & over with fuckstick as you call him lol investigation’s just seem to bounce of him! 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    On one of the news shows this am they were talking about how McConnell didn't want to convict tRump when he was impeached because he felt that would make him a martyr and that he wouldn't go away after the election. He thought that tRump's actions would be enough to keep him out of any serious contention for running again.

What a moron. Now we are all paying for it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

https://www.axios.com/2022/11/24/trump-special-counsel-jack-smith
    Trump's new nemesis

Donald Trump and his allies have ramped up their war against newly appointed special counsel Jack Smith, reviving a playbook they hope will defang the latest unprecedented legal threat bearing down on the former president.

Why it matters: This isn't 2017. The political and legal conditions that allowed Trump to emerge virtually unscathed from Robert Mueller's Russia investigation no longer apply. No amount of mudslinging — or claims he "won't partake" in the investigation — will protect Trump from indictment if Smith determines he has the goods.

"I was described by Steve Bannon ... as a pit bull," former top Mueller prosecutor Andrew Weissman tweeted. "Jack Smith makes me look like a golden retriever puppy."
    "Jack Smith came after me. If he goes after Donald Trump with the same unrelenting ferocity, Trump will be in trouble," Intercept journalist James Risen wrote in a column detailing Smith's role in a CIA leak prosecution.
    Driving the news: Trump's allies on Capitol Hill and in conservative media have already accused Smith — who is still working remotely from Europe, where he was a war-crimes prosecutor at The Hague — of political bias, citing his wife's donations to Democrats.

Garland appointed Smith to avoid the perception of a conflict of interest after Trump declared his 2024 candidacy, but that hasn't stopped some Republicans from accusing the registered independent of being a secret liberal.
    Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) and Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) are among those who have sought to discredit Smith's appointment, branding it as the latest example of DOJ "politicization" under President Biden.
    Catch up quick: Smith, a widely respected veteran federal prosecutor, was tapped by Attorney General Merrick Garland to take over two of the most explosive investigations involving a former president in modern history.

The first is the Justice Department's sweeping probe into Trump's efforts to interfere with the lawful transfer of power after the 2020 election, including the scheme to certify false slates of electors on Jan. 6, 2021.
    The second is examining whether Trump illegally retained classified documents at Mar-a-Lago and obstructed the government's efforts to get them back.
    Between the lines: At least three major factors distinguish the new special counsel from the challenges and constraints of the Mueller investigation:

Protection: Trump is no longer in office, meaning the Justice Department policy that barred Mueller from indicting a sitting president does not apply. The tools Trump wielded to discredit and jam up the investigation — threatening to fire DOJ officials, dangling pardons and using his bully pulpit — are no longer available to him. Nor is his loyalist Attorney General Bill Barr, who cushioned the blow of the final Mueller report by releasing a summary before making it public.
    Timing: Both Garland and Smith have stressed that the appointment will not slow the pace of either investigation. Smith is inheriting teams of prosecutors and agents that have already made significant headway, unlike Mueller, who had to "fly and build the plane simultaneously," as Weissman wrote in a recent N.Y. Times column.
    Scope: The sprawling Mueller probe involved both criminal and counterintelligence elements, with much of the key information buried in the bowels of a hostile foreign power. By comparison, the House Jan. 6 committee has already unearthed massive amounts of evidence expected to be referred to DOJ, while the Mar-a-Lago classified documents case is viewed by many legal experts as open-and-shut.
    The bottom line: The lionization of Mueller by online liberals ended in disappointment and reinforced Trump's Teflon reputation.

Smith, like Mueller, is only human. But the similarities between the two special counsels' situations largely end with the title they share.
    In 2010, after being criticized for closing corruption cases into members of Congress, Smith told the N.Y. Times: "[I]f I were the sort of person who could be cowed — ‘I know we should bring this case, I know the person did it, but we could lose, and that will look bad,’ I would find another line of work."
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Criminal referral bump
    chinese-happy.jpg
    garland needs to indict right now. before the end of the year.

why?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    why?
    because the american public has the attention span of a newt. as time goes by, they will be more inclined to favor letting him off.

Special prosecutor is working on it. Slow and steady as he goes. I want an indictment and prosecution.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    edited December 2022
    Special prosecutor is working on it. Slow and steady as he goes. I want an indictment and prosecution.
    All of this gets consolidated with the Special Counsel, to your point.  No hurrying.  
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    why?
    Christmas gift for Melanie. 
    mrussel1 said:
    All of this gets consolidated with the Special Counsel, to your point.  No hurrying.  
    except Smith doesnt seem to fuck around.

Still guessing something by June...

THE FIELD
    Just hope DOJ does their job and hope the evidence will sway a conviction 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

And I want a full American tour next year 

Each has about the same chance, less likely than unlikely.

40 cities with 120 shows.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

I heard it’s a club tour.  Not confirmed though.
    mrussel1 said:

I heard it’s a club tour.  Not confirmed though.
    I heard it was one club show, one arena show and one of the three 10 club only, depending on city, potential draw and whether they could fill the arena with 10 clubbers. If not, it might be two club shows with one being ten club only and an arena show. I also heard they were feeling bad about the 10 days of Christmas give away, the huge increase in the digital only cost and elimination of the Deep issues. It’s their way of making up for it. At least according to grunge.net.

Brilliantati©

I actually think the indictment has a better chance than another PJ tour next year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Let's Fucking Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    tick tock 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
    nothing is happening before the end of the year
    chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.