Options

Gabby Petito

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,976
    Petito family awarded 3 million from Police department.  I don't agree with that one.

They are now suing the parents of Brian Laundrie for a wrongful death suit.  Not sure how that works?  You're going to sue the parents of the murderer?  Anyone that dies can go after the parents of a killer/murderer?  Geeze that's just stupid.
    Got a link? 

I just googled, and only see them getting $3m from Laundrie's estate.

I see another where they filed a suit 2 weeks ago against an officer from the Moab PD for $50M, but don't see anything about a $3M settlement from law enforcement. 
    AACK!  I heard the news wrong.  They were awarded 3million Wrongful death suit from the Laundries which I think is absolutely stupid.

Yes they filed for 50M against UTAH police for "wrongful death" also.

Either way I don't agree with either one of these and the parents getting sued held up?  They wouldn't have wanted me on that jury.

There wasn't a jury. The two families came to a settlement. 

https://apnews.com/article/lawsuits-climate-and-environment-7159613db87ca608141d264fb1723c08
    WHAT?  That is even more absurd.
    I look at it the other way around... if the Laundries agreed to this, there's probably a lot more to it than we know. 
    Apparently since they have another lawsuit or the Laundries lawyer agreed to do it because they hide or file their money away or maybe they have no kids left and will donate their money to the lawsuit?

So yeah, I do have questions even more now.  It is just like I said though, absurd.
    Is it absurd if they indeed prevented Petito's parents from facing their daughter's killer & seeing him brought to justice? 

Here's a thought: maybe don't help your son evade authorities when he's wanted in connection w/ the murder of his girlfriend.
    It's your own kid.  That's one way of looking at it.  You do what you can to keep them safe but I don't know if it's like that considering they let him go off on a death march into the forest.

I still don't see how Laundrie offing himself instead of facing a jury is worth money?
    Is there any crime too heinous where the "it's your own kid" excuse gets thrown out the window? 

& regarding your last point.... the two parties involved saw how it was worth money, and they agreed it was worth $3M. The Laundries chose that option over this lawsuit going to trial. 
    They let their own kid go out to die in the woods so they didn't protect him too well.

Yes they agreed to a sum, I don't get why.  The second lawsuit doesn't make sense to me is where this is going.  They want to sue the parents for him killing himself and not facing a trial?  Yeah, I don't get why you want to keep on revisiting this wound?

They aren't suing the parents because he killed himself. They're suing the parents for allegedly concealing that he confessed to the murder.

It's in the AP article I linked: 

"The lawsuit involving the estates of Petito and Laundrie, filed in May, claimed Laundrie was liable for damages because he caused her death. A separate lawsuit, still pending in Sarasota, claims Laundrie’s parents wrongly concealed that he confessed to killing Petito before he returned home in September 2021 to Florida from their trip out West in a converted van."

https://apnews.com/article/lawsuits-climate-and-environment-7159613db87ca608141d264fb1723c08

If they indeed concealed his confession, then they helped their son avoid facing the consequences of his actions. The reasons for the lawsuit seem pretty cut & dry to me. Whether there's any truth to the allegations, well.... we'll have to stay tuned I guess. 
    I'm wording it different.  The family, if they concealed they knew, did let their son go out on his own terms and the Petito family is upset that they didn't get their justice.  So, yes, they are suing because he killed himself pretty much.
    They are suing to make his parents miserable for the rest of their lives because of what they did. More power to them.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Petito family awarded 3 million from Police department.  I don't agree with that one.

They are now suing the parents of Brian Laundrie for a wrongful death suit.  Not sure how that works?  You're going to sue the parents of the murderer?  Anyone that dies can go after the parents of a killer/murderer?  Geeze that's just stupid.
    Got a link? 

I see another where they filed a suit 2 weeks ago against an officer from the Moab PD for $50M, but don't see anything about a $3M settlement from law enforcement. 
    AACK!  I heard the news wrong.  They were awarded 3million Wrongful death suit from the Laundries which I think is absolutely stupid.

Either way I don't agree with either one of these and the parents getting sued held up?  They wouldn't have wanted me on that jury.

I look at it the other way around... if the Laundries agreed to this, there's probably a lot more to it than we know. 
    Apparently since they have another lawsuit or the Laundries lawyer agreed to do it because they hide or file their money away or maybe they have no kids left and will donate their money to the lawsuit?

So yeah, I do have questions even more now.  It is just like I said though, absurd.
    Is it absurd if they indeed prevented Petito's parents from facing their daughter's killer & seeing him brought to justice? 

Here's a thought: maybe don't help your son evade authorities when he's wanted in connection w/ the murder of his girlfriend.
    It's your own kid.  That's one way of looking at it.  You do what you can to keep them safe but I don't know if it's like that considering they let him go off on a death march into the forest.

I still don't see how Laundrie offing himself instead of facing a jury is worth money?
    Is there any crime too heinous where the "it's your own kid" excuse gets thrown out the window? 

& regarding your last point.... the two parties involved saw how it was worth money, and they agreed it was worth $3M. The Laundries chose that option over this lawsuit going to trial. 
    They let their own kid go out to die in the woods so they didn't protect him too well.

Yes they agreed to a sum, I don't get why.  The second lawsuit doesn't make sense to me is where this is going.  They want to sue the parents for him killing himself and not facing a trial?  Yeah, I don't get why you want to keep on revisiting this wound?

They aren't suing the parents because he killed himself. They're suing the parents for allegedly concealing that he confessed to the murder.

"The lawsuit involving the estates of Petito and Laundrie, filed in May, claimed Laundrie was liable for damages because he caused her death. A separate lawsuit, still pending in Sarasota, claims Laundrie’s parents wrongly concealed that he confessed to killing Petito before he returned home in September 2021 to Florida from their trip out West in a converted van."

If they indeed concealed his confession, then they helped their son avoid facing the consequences of his actions. The reasons for the lawsuit seem pretty cut & dry to me. Whether there's any truth to the allegations, well.... we'll have to stay tuned I guess. 
    I'm wording it different.  The family, if they concealed they knew, did let their son go out on his own terms and the Petito family is upset that they didn't get their justice.  So, yes, they are suing because he killed himself pretty much.
    They are suing to make his parents miserable for the rest of their lives because of what they did. More power to them.
    Their kid did the crime, not the parents though.

I'm not in their position so I see it differently.
  • Options

Got a link? 

& if the allegations are true, Laundrie's parents may have prevented Petito's from getting their justice. 

Where's the problem? 
  • Options

Got a link? 

Helping cover up a crime is also a crime. 
  • Options

Got a link? 

I didn't say what he did....I said "what they did"

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

So on Aug 28 it is assumed that Brian told his parents that Gabby was dead....they contacted an attorney on that date.

He gets home Sept 1 and they go on fucking vacation.....that is fucked up beyond belief

• Options

Gabby lived with them for over a year....and they did everything they could to help Brian get away

• Options
    have to stay tuned I guess. 
    & if the allegations are true, Laundrie's parents may have prevented Petito's from getting their justice. 

Where's the problem? 

himself pretty much.

The person whom committed the crime is dead.  There isn't bringing him back.
  • Options

Gabby lived with them for over a year....and they did everything they could to help Brian get away
    I don't think if they told them, if they even knew, that it would have made a difference.  The family would still be suing everyone anyways.  No matter what happens and whom they sue, they will never be whole again.  I mean that with empathy.
  • Options

I don't think if they told them, if they even knew, that it would have made a difference.  The family would still be suing everyone anyways.  No matter what happens and whom they sue, they will never be whole again.  I mean that with empathy.

If you had empathy, you wouldn't be assuming the worst of the victim's family and the best of the murderer's family, who by all appearances are complicit in helping their son escape justice. 

This is quite the hill to die on, Tempo. 
  • Options

Where's the problem? 

himself pretty much.

Covering up a crime is a crime....they are still alive

• Options

Where's the problem? 

himself pretty much.

Covering up a crime is a crime....they are still alive

• Options

If you had empathy, you wouldn't be assuming the worst of the victim's family and the best of the murderer's family, who by all appearances are complicit in helping their son escape justice. 

I'm fine with it too. Justice is served in my eyes and nobody wins.
  • Options

Do you not think Laundrie's parents, if it turns out knew about the murder should face consequences for helping their son hide, or do they get a pass because he's their son? 
  • Options

Do you not think Laundrie's parents, if it turns out knew about the murder should face consequences for helping their son hide, or do they get a pass because he's their son? 
    I'm not sure what the law is on that so it's not up to me.  Not sure if there is a child/son privilege?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,822

I'm not sure what the law is on that so it's not up to me.  Not sure if there is a child/son privilege?

stop.

you've made your stance here abundantly clear.

child privilege?  are you fucking kidding me?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    well, everyone, shutter down, mr.moderator strikes again. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Why are you arguing their position if you aren't sure what the law is on that?

• Options

how many times must the same argument be made?

then to add that ridiculous as fuck question?

its clear the position isnt changing.
    cmon.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited November 2022
    mickeyrat said:

cmon.
    how many times do you have to act like the mediator at debate club around here and tell people to stop talking about a certain topic and insult people regarding their comments/questions? if it angers you that much, take a break. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

cmon.
    how many times do you have to act like the mediator at debate club around here and tell people to stop talking about a certain topic and insult people regarding their comments/questions? if it angers you that much, take a break. 

debate away. stop with the ridiculously bullshit statements.

and arent you real quick to respond this way to me? board moderator moderator? if it's too much, just step away.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

cmon.

and arent you real quick to respond this way to me? board moderator moderator? if it's too much, just step away.
    Stop with the condescension please
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

cmon.

you cant be serious.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

cmon.

you cant be serious.
     :D 
  • Options

Weak. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited November 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

cmon.

you cant be serious.
    I can be, I just prefer not to.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,233

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

Weak. 
    You Know my position, whyd you ask?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

stop.

I wouldn't kid you.  Welcome to the convo!

It was a legitimate question, sorry that one sets you off...
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

cmon.
    how many times do you have to act like the mediator

mickeyrat said:

stop.

I wouldn't kid you.  Welcome to the convo!

It was a legitimate question, sorry that one sets you off...

sorry, no it is not.