Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrush said:
    Love Earth is now playing on NYA

It's a song.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Barn worth getting? It's just a little over £11 here now.
  • FR181798 said:
    For 11? No question ’bout it
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    FR181798 said:

It's gotten some mixed reviews but no bad reviews.  I like it a lot- for me 4.5 out of 5 stars. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Seems like there's a new Neil Young release every month. Just not able to keep up anymore.
  • it has been that, since May. 

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Stopped trying to keep up with the releases after Carnegie Hall. Going to hold off for the next two box sets. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    The sound quality on NYA is so good that you really don’t need to buy physical copies of Neil’s albums anymore.

But…

I. Can’t. Stop. Now!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Finally got a copy of the last great acoustic Neil Young record on vinyl!  One of my top 5 Neil records and probably a desert island album.  I wish it had the other great songs from the CSNY record that came out at the same time. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    static111 said:
    Finally got a copy of the last great acoustic Neil Young record on vinyl!  One of my top 5 Neil records and probably a desert island album.  I wish it had the other great songs from the CSNY record that came out at the same time. 

Nice score! I need to get much better acquainted with that album than I am.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • static111 said:
    Damn to the straight. People gushing over Prairie wind don’t know what they are talking about. 

Harvest
    Comes a time
    Harvest Moon
    Silver & Gold

is the greatest quadoligy of all time. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited October 2022
    static111 said:
    Damn to the straight. People gushing over Prairie wind don’t know what they are talking about. 

Harvest
    Comes a time
    Harvest Moon
    Silver & Gold

The Painter is one of his greatest songs, but I agree as a whole Prairie Wind doesn't hold a candle to Silver And Gold. Could you imagine how great that album would be if it also had Slowpoke, Looking Forward and Out Of Control? I can only hope for a reissue that includes the Looking Forward songs someday.  The only late period album that comes close IMO is Le Noise, but that is a whole different sound.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2022
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Harvest
    Comes a time
    Harvest Moon
    Silver & Gold

The Painter is one of his greatest songs, but I agree as a whole Prairie Wind doesn't hold a candle to Silver And Gold. Could you imagine how great that album would be if it also had Slowpoke, Looking Forward and Out Of Control? I can only hope for a reissue that includes the Looking Forward songs someday.  The only late period album that comes close IMO is Le Noise, but that is a whole different sound.  
    Id argue: Are you passionate, living with war, lenoise

fork in the road souns cool but pointless songs
    Americana is cool also
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Curious as to what you all think.  Not really sure thus far, myself.  I surely like the idea, and it's nice to hear Nils on slide.  I might like it more if it were a bit shorter.  It might grow on me more.
    You?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    It’s alright. 
    edited October 2022
    Mentioning it here since it seems relevant and was discussed in the other vinyl thread but no way are these copies of Silver & Gold that are available here in Europe leftovers from the original pressing. Just to be clear no one was suggesting they were, just myself and probably a few others curious about this. Saw a copy in hmv here today. Nice crisp corners, shiny and new looking with not a speck of dust  that looked like it must have been pressed in the past few years. Immaculate, perfect shrinkwrap, no Warners logo embossed on the back corner. My guess it's been pressed a further couple of times since 2000 and has the same matrix info.  Just not had its own entry in discogs. People probably want to think there copy is an original.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
    Yeah, its basically stayed in print. 

Neil hosted another Zoom call today. I asked him if there was any update on Mirror Ball Live and if he had any memories of the sessions and tour with PJ. I snuck the question in twice and he answered it the second time  =)

He mentioned Jack Irons first, then Jeff, Stone and Mike but had to look up Brendan O'Brien's name, which was pretty funny. He said the record and film are finished and would be out in 2023. He almost said 1923 - "it will be out before The Depression!"

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Neil hosted another Zoom call today. I asked him if there was any update on Mirror Ball Live and if he had any memories of the sessions and tour with PJ. I snuck the question in twice and he answered it the second time  =)

He mentioned Jack Irons first, then Jeff, Stone and Mike but had to look up Brendan O'Brien's name, which was pretty funny. He said the record and film are finished and would be out in 2023. He almost said 1923 - "it will be out before The Depression!"

Awesome!

• shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    https://www.musicdirect.com/music/vinyl/neil-young-harvest-50th-anniversary-vinyl-2lp-7-2dvd-book-box-set/

Looks like the Harvest 50th won't be as lacking as Gold Rush was, still steep price though.
    edited October 2022
    Harvest 50th Anniversary coming in December.

Heart of Gold is streaming now on NYA. I know it’s been played a million times but I’ll never tire of this song or album.
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2022
    goldrush said:

Heart of Gold is streaming now on NYA. I know it’s been played a million times but I’ll never tire of this song or album.
    I wish Neil didn’t do this shit. 

At the same time I am interested in the documentary and the book. And if it is one album to buy a deluxe special box set limited edition bla bla, and you can’t get Riot Act, I guess it is Harvest.

Happy he doesn’t throw in plastic trinkets and shitty reproductions at least. No ”backstage pass” reproductions, little figurines or bandanas. 
    goldrush said:

At the same time I am interested in the documentary and the book. And if it is one album to buy a deluxe special box set limited edition bla bla, and you can’t get Riot Act, I guess it is Harvest.

Happy he doesn’t throw in plastic trinkets and shitty reproductions at least. No ”backstage pass” reproductions, little figurines or bandanas. 

Grumpy!

• brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Grumpy!
    Spitting thruthy
    In some ways I wish Neil didn’t do this too. It’s too expensive - especially given that there are separate sets for the CD and vinyl versions - and I know I’ll be able to stream everything that is in the box on NYA…

…but I’m still trying to justify buying it!

I mean, come on. It’s Harvest.

(Tim Rogers)
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    I agree, he should have included CD copies too. This boxset will be heavily discounted in 6 months time. 
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Grumpy!
    Spitting thruthy

Can't argue with honesty! 
    I do understand the frustration with some of the box set reissues when all you want is just the original album.  I had to buy the box set to get  Lou Reed's New York album live on DVD.  The box includes a reissue of the original album and the booklet and all that.  If I had just wanted the original album, it would have been a very pricey purchase. 
    It's too bad there aren't more options.  Some bands to give package options.  That's the way to go.

I agree, he should have included CD copies too. This boxset will be heavily discounted in 6 months time. 
    This is the way I generally buy Neil releases for the most part (the live records I usually buy day one). Gold rush was heavily discounted a year later. I still didn’t buy it because it would be just for a 7”. But I’ll get this once it hits $75 or something. 

(Tim Rogers)