The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    That's incredible.  Thinking about doing Sand Valley next summer for my 40th.  Although I'd almost rather wait a couple years until the new courses open up.  
    That place does look incredible.  Just missing the ocean views it looks like from Bandon.  I was planning to wait until the new courses open as well.  You'd have three of them though next year, and who knows may could play a preview round as well on the 4th one.  The Lido looks incredible.

They are building another course in Nova Scotia as well and so not pushing to head that way until it opens.  
    This thread is dropping.  Everyone not in the south shutting it down for the season?   Still have some good weeks left I think.  Got a member-guest I was invited to play end of October.  Should be fun and hopefully weather is nice.  Never played Pinehurst style. 

Still going here in Chicago area.   The fact that it's dark by 645 now is slowing me down since I would usually get 18 in 1 afternoon during the week with my weekends full of youth sports.  Played 9 on a beautiful afternoon last week.  I'll just have to keep sneaking in 9 holes as long as the weather permits which is usually sometime in November.  And then the usual December-March period with nothing but indoor simulators.  
    The early darkness really sucks.  I can work remotely with my job and so I'm thinking about heading out west for a month and working from 5:00am West Coast time until 1:30pm, and then go golfing.  Maintain the East Coast hours.  
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    All the beers on property were $3, except the 22 oz drafts, which were $4.  Mammoth Dunes had Italian beef and brats for a $1 at the turn, and Sand Valley had breakfast sandwiches and tacos for $1.  Nice touches.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    ddeschler said:
    All the beers on property were $3, except the 22 oz drafts, which were $4.  Mammoth Dunes had Italian beef and brats for a $1 at the turn, and Sand Valley had breakfast sandwiches and tacos for $1.  Nice touches.
    What? Does this golf course reside in the 1990's?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Phil is losing his mind.  Now he's saying he never did an interview with Shipnuck.  I guess that long statement he released apologizing for things he said in that interview was fake too???

I’m just glad he picked the “winning side” in the Saudi attack on the PGA Tour. Jeez, widows he hear himself?

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEJ9YfDkIN8hMd-5PUTYbBJkqFggEKg4IACoGCAowl6p7MN-zCTCtvRU?uo=CAUiANIBAA&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
    The only way anyone knows if there is a LIV tournament happening is by controversial remarks made in a press conference. Nobody cares about the actual gold being played. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    42 degrees today and windy.  Gotta put this cold weather gear to use.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Those are tough rounds.  Weather is turning beautiful here next few days....70s and sunny Friday-Sunday.  Playing 18 tomorrow and will try to sneak in another 9 over the weekend.
    Those are tough rounds.  Weather is turning beautiful here next few days....70s and sunny Friday-Sunday.  Playing 18 tomorrow and will try to sneak in another 9 over the weekend.
    I actually really enjoy those cooler days.  Less people (or no one else) on the golf course.  I wear layers that aren't too restrictive to the swing and are warm enough.  I found that wearing noise canceling I couldn't hear the wind, so strangely I didn't notice it as much.  Got three rounds in this week in 5.5 hours with two of them walking 18.   Walking is key to staying warm and loose versus riding.

I hope this nice weather sticks around a while.

7 iron broke at a lesson yesterday.  Right under the grip.  Weird.  Club flew straight backwards so glad no one was behind me.  

No Laying Up Scandanavia dropped today.  Looking forward to watching it.  
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Something weird is happening. Driver has been a problem for me, always.  Just a nice slice.

It started at Torrey Pines, bled over into another round then culminated during a scramble on Monday. I can't miss.  Every drive is 275+ and in the fairway. I missed 2 fairways the other day and one was because it went through.  I don't understand it. I'm not complaining, but I don't understand it.
    7 iron broke at a lesson yesterday.  Right under the grip.  Weird.  Club flew straight backwards so glad no one was behind me.  

No Laying Up Scandanavia dropped today.  Looking forward to watching it.  
    Everyone here has probably seen my appreciation of No Laying Up.  I always struggle to watch Tourist Sauce.  Something about watching a bunch of friends get paid to travel, eat, drink and play some of the best courses in the world gives me just a little bit of FOMO and typically not a jealous person.
    Something weird is happening. Driver has been a problem for me, always.  Just a nice slice.

It started at Torrey Pines, bled over into another round then culminated during a scramble on Monday. I can't miss.  Every drive is 275+ and in the fairway. I missed 2 fairways the other day and one was because it went through.  I don't understand it. I'm not complaining, but I don't understand it.
    You didn't make any changes? 

I pray whatever happened to you happens to me at some point. Might hit the range at lunch to get some practice in.
    chinese-happy.jpg

Dude the same thing is happening to me.  I hadn't hit driver for the past 2-3 years coming into this season.  Treated myself to a Stealth in the offseason and it has been incredible.  I don't know how or why but I'm hitting these high draws and getting so much roll out on the ball.  Handicap has dropped 5 points this year.  Don't want this season to end.

You didn't make any changes? 

I pray whatever happened to you happens to me at some point. Might hit the range at lunch to get some practice in.
    Purposefully, none.  In fact, I try to take a bit off my swing as I typically swing hard, but feel like I am still swinging it pretty hard.

Dude the same thing is happening to me.  I hadn't hit driver for the past 2-3 years coming into this season.  Treated myself to a Stealth in the offseason and it has been incredible.  I don't know how or why but I'm hitting these high draws and getting so much roll out on the ball.  Handicap has dropped 5 points this year.  Don't want this season to end.
    It's a crazy game.
    The days when the driver is working are just so much fun.  Nothing more frustrating that looking for your ball every hole in the rough or the trees.
    HIt 100 balls today and did short game for an hour.  First practice session in months.  If Rory can find 8 mph more ball speed, my team has promised me I can find it too.  My team is my small dog.
    I don't have the NLU FOMO, because I know if I ever took a 2 week buddies golf trip to Sweden, I would be getting a divorce either before or after the trip.  The Visby course sounds awesome, and I'm looking forward to that episode.  I would have to take the family, and sneak in a couple rounds.
    edited October 2022
    Played in a member-guest.  Format was cool in that they took your best score from each hole over the two days.  So if you blew up on #5 on Friday it didn't hurt you unless you couldn't better your score on that hole the next day.  The first day was best ball and had some fun.  Driver was terrible but managed two birdies so that helped the cause.  

Second day was a lot more pressure and I failed miserably.  Each partner tees off, and then the other partner plays the other's second shot.  Alternating shot from there from best second shot.  So not only am I screwing up my tee shot, but now I'm taking the better player out of the hole too.  Still a good time.  I think we shot a 64 adjusted for handicap.  Solidly in the middle of the pack I think. 

Unfortunately won't be invited back until I can prove I can hit a tee ball in play :)

P.S.  Typical golf, after playing like crap I hit a great drive down the middle and a great 3 hybrid on the second to last hole, and then hit a beauty of a tee shot on the last hole (a par 3).   Golf knows how to keep you coming back for more punishment.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Did something golfing whilst in the Tampa area last week:

Streamsong - Black and Blue
    Old Memorial
    Saddlebrook Golf and Tennis

While Streamsong gets the love, Old Memorial is a far, far superior course.  It's an exclusive course and it feels that way every minute you are there.  The layout is perfect and the kind of course you can easily play every day, if you've got the coin and connections to join the club.  
    I'm hoping to get to Streamsong.  Looks like a lot of fun.  

Golf.com released their top 100 U.S. course list.  It is a good reminder of American golf and how the "best" courses are generally off limits to the public.    Thankfully plenty of great courses to play and the rich snobs can keep their courses.  Pine Valley or Cypress doesn't exist but to a few hundred people so I don't need to read about them anymore.   It was a boring scroll through the list.  Good thing Golf.com releases a top 100 courses you can play as well.  
    I'm hoping to get to Streamsong.  Looks like a lot of fun.  

Golf.com released their top 100 U.S. course list.  It is a good reminder of American golf and how the "best" courses are generally off limits to the public.    Thankfully plenty of great courses to play and the rich snobs can keep their courses.  Pine Valley or Cypress doesn't exist but to a few hundred people so I don't need to read about them anymore.   It was a boring scroll through the list.  Good thing Golf.com releases a top 100 courses you can play as well.  
    Yep.  Those lists are tough when you realize you could only realistically play a small portion of them.  Scotland does it right.  I definitely have some bucket list courses I'd like to hit at some time but generally I'm pretty damn happy playing the courses near me for $60-70.
    I guess you would be a fool not to pick Tony Finau in the fall season.  

In the middle of at least a 30 day period not picking up a golf club.  Snow this past weekend and 30 degree temps.  Sucks.  Had an issue with my right hand/wrist though so the break is hopefully helping to heal up.  
  • I got in 3 rounds at 3 different new (for me) courses in the last week, right before the weather turned.  Glad I did.  Now the sadness starts to set in.  Got a couple short trips on the calendar, but I would really just like to get to a place in my life where I can spend Nov-Mar in AZ.
    ddeschler said:
    I got in 3 rounds at 3 different new (for me) courses in the last week, right before the weather turned.  Glad I did.  Now the sadness starts to set in.  Got a couple short trips on the calendar, but I would really just like to get to a place in my life where I can spend Nov-Mar in AZ.
    I got a couple 9 hole rounds in last week before the weather turned as well.  Going to Atlanta for the Bears game this weekend and bringing the clubs to play Sat morning.  Then prob nothing until a golf weekend in Florida in February.  I may have to join a league at a simulator or something.  These 3-4 months are brutal.
    edited November 2022
    It is a shame we are only a golf cart away from seeing Tiger play great golf for 5 more years.  A real shame.  Change the rule to see the greatest player in history play!  He should request and take the exemption.  Anyone complaining should understand they have an advantage with a healthy leg.

It is foolish pride standing in the way.   This isn't a damn walking contest.  It is about executing great shots.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    ^^^ yeah, I’m gutted.

guess he can cry himself to sleep on a pillowcase stuffed with his $15m PIP money.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Even if you hate the guy, are there really more than 10 players on the PGA tour you would rather watch then Tiger?  

Barry Bonds was a steriod taking cheater, but still fun to watch hit a baseball.  
    Even if you hate the guy, are there really more than 10 players on the PGA tour you would rather watch then Tiger?  

Barry Bonds was a steriod taking cheater, but still fun to watch hit a baseball.  
    He was a lot more fun before steroids, in my opinion. 
    chinese-happy.jpg