*** Pearl Jam Toronto, Canada Fanviews 9/8/22 ***

Comments

• BW39451BW39451 Michigan Posts: 4
    Had a great time at this show.  My first time in GA after going to shows for the past 24 years did not disappoint.  If anyone has an extra poster the want to sell (or knows how to get one).  let me know 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,766
    Hamilton/Toronto was the best 1-2 punch I've ever seen.  Can't wait to listen the boots back to back........Black/Jeremy,  Porch/Even Flow, Retrograde/River Cross, Inside job/ Come Back, Red Mosquito/ Hail Hail................felt very much like sister shows.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 783
    D-Rod said:
    Hamilton/Toronto was the best 1-2 punch I've ever seen.  Can't wait to listen the boots back to back........Black/Jeremy,  Porch/Even Flow, Retrograde/River Cross, Inside job/ Come Back, Red Mosquito/ Hail Hail................felt very much like sister shows.  
    Agreed.  My 3 show stretch with Ott, Ham & TO really felt complete.  They went together but each unique in there own.  Not hearing Porch, Betterman, Even Flow, Small Town all 3 times, few covers and most of Gigaton...pretty much all I'd hoped for.
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Man, what a night! This was my only show so I had nothing to compare it to, and it was worth the over 2 year wait (though 2020 would’ve been fun in a different way because of the new songs, lol)! Still processing it and can’t wait for the bootleg!

The sit down opener for the band was cool and I really appreciated Ed doing Her Majesty. A nice tribute that was quick enough to avoid giving the anti-monarchists a chance to complain, lol.

Then they started full-on rocking and kicked my ass, lol! Got 2 of the 3 Gigaton songs I’d been hoping for, and Light Years really hit home having been to a funeral the day before (that was a beautiful moment in 2016 when Ed asked us to invite someone we missed into the room and I quietly did so again).

The encore’s pacing was maybe a bit odd but I still enjoyed it (even if Leash did get scratched, lol), I don’t have a dislike of Rockin’ so it was fun.

Didn’t Jeff and Josh trade off on the bass midsong?

I’ll close with a thanks to everyone involved (from the band and the crew and venue to the fans) for making the inadvertent 2 year wait worth it!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    We had a wonderful time in Toronto. Thanks for mentioning Halifax, Nova Scotia, twice! :) 

Would of been cool if Leash went again but all good. River Cross was finally played live. That was a treat. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiSSIsYrCWK/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
  • Both Ottawa and Toronto shows were out of this world, and complementary.  Hilites : YLB, dissident, rearviewmirror, Jeremy and the tributes were super. Please be back sooner than 3 years!!!! 
  • Man, what a night! This was my only show so I had nothing to compare it to, and it was worth the over 2 year wait (though 2020 would’ve been fun in a different way because of the new songs, lol)! Still processing it and can’t wait for the bootleg!

The sit down opener for the band was cool and I really appreciated Ed doing Her Majesty. A nice tribute that was quick enough to avoid giving the anti-monarchists a chance to complain, lol.

Then they started full-on rocking and kicked my ass, lol! Got 2 of the 3 Gigaton songs I’d been hoping for, and Light Years really hit home having been to a funeral the day before (that was a beautiful moment in 2016 when Ed asked us to invite someone we missed into the room and I quietly did so again).

The encore’s pacing was maybe a bit odd but I still enjoyed it (even if Leash did get scratched, lol), I don’t have a dislike of Rockin’ so it was fun.

I’ll close with a thanks to everyone involved (from the band and the crew and venue to the fans) for making the inadvertent 2 year wait worth it!
    Man, what a night! This was my only show so I had nothing to compare it to, and it was worth the over 2 year wait (though 2020 would’ve been fun in a different way because of the new songs, lol)! Still processing it and can’t wait for the bootleg!

I watched a few YouTube recordings of the night and yes, Josh took over for Jeff midsong.  So many things I didn’t see from
    the back 😆cheers to anyone who has posted videos to YouTube, I always need to relive these concerts post show as I’m so wound up during the show I nearly forget everything! 
  • I just counted, only 5 repeat songs over the Hammer and Toronto show.  Thank you PJ.  So great ripping through the catalog!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited September 2022
    mclynick said:
    I just counted, only 5 repeat songs over the Hammer and Toronto show.  Thank you PJ.  So great ripping through the catalog!
    Only one Porch and Evenflow too. No Betterman and Small Town at all on back to back shows was a surprise as well
  • RSRRSR British Columbia, Canada Posts: 44
    Toronto had the best sound of the three shows I saw (Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto) and the crowd was positively electric!

It also had some oddities ... The band biffed "Leash" and pushed through Alive and RITFW, cutting the show short by a couple songs ... And no intro of Boom or Pluralone. I also noticed Stone wearing a mask for both Hamilton and this show. Hopefully he's doing well! 

I was really interested go hear Ed talk about not playing Vancouver due to the border crossing. I know it was a nightmare for them in 2013, but hoping they'll "come back!" ... That song was also a highlight for me, as was Dissident, Rockin', and Light Years. Another highlight was Mike heading off stage to play for the front row. Epic!!
    I've been a Pearl Jam fan since I was 13 and first heard Ament's opening to Jeremy on the radio. To this day, Pearl Jam continues to inspire and challenge me to not just be better, but to be great.
    I hate to have to post this but I feel it’s required.

I was in section 105, row 10 on Thursday. Last night I developed a scratchy throat and while it’s subsided today I’m also experiencing chills, crawling skin and dizziness. I believe I correctly tested myself and it was negative (I’m planning on testing again on Tuesday regardless of symptoms).

Hopefully it has more to do with not having cigarettes but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

I apologize if I’m causing any distress or panic but I feel obligated to make an attempt at informing those who were around me.

I’ll update my status as updates happen.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

I was in section 105, row 10 on Thursday. Last night I developed a scratchy throat and while it’s subsided today I’m also experiencing chills, crawling skin and dizziness. I believe I correctly tested myself and it was negative (I’m planning on testing again on Tuesday regardless of symptoms).

Hopefully it has more to do with not having cigarettes but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

I apologize if I’m causing any distress or panic but I feel obligated to make an attempt at informing those who were around me.

Hope you are feeling better soon. 

Each morning of this tour I have woken up amazed that I’m not sick yet. Given the massive crowds at the shows and all the eating out, it seems inevitable, but so far so good. We all know the risks of doing this; appreciate your notification. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Each morning of this tour I have woken up amazed that I’m not sick yet. Given the massive crowds at the shows and all the eating out, it seems inevitable, but so far so good. We all know the risks of doing this; appreciate your notification. 
    Thanks, I appreciate that, I woke up feeling better today but unfortunately my covid test today came back positive.

I suspect I wasn’t a carrier at the show and picked it up there, but as I said before better safe than sorry.

Again, I was sitting (standing, lol) in section 105, row 10 on the aisle.

I truly hope I’m the only one finding themselves in this situation.

• I hate to have to post this but I feel it’s required.

Thanks, I appreciate that, I woke up feeling better today but unfortunately my covid test today came back positive.

I suspect I wasn’t a carrier at the show and picked it up there, but as I said before better safe than sorry.

That is super considerate of you, and I’m logging on here to communicate the same. I was in section 106 row 14 and tested positive Sunday. I was at Hamilton and Toronto (and Roxy Music in between the two PJ shows). I masked for Hamilton and RM but thought I’d chance it at Toronto. My husband and friends never masked at any of the shows and they’re fine so far, but will continue to test. I’m guessing long work hours before the week of shows, super late to bed on the show nights, and up early to work the following mornings (hubby and friends slept in so were well rested lol) meant I was run down so my immune system was weak. 

No regrets but hope nobody else at the show got really sick! It’s so random right now but fist bump to Stone for wearing a mask lately. He’s obviously feeling the need to be super careful (or fighting cold symptoms and doesn’t want to share the germ love!).
    SALLYROO said:

That is super considerate of you, and I’m logging on here to communicate the same. I was in section 106 row 14 and tested positive Sunday. I was at Hamilton and Toronto (and Roxy Music in between the two PJ shows). I masked for Hamilton and RM but thought I’d chance it at Toronto. My husband and friends never masked at any of the shows and they’re fine so far, but will continue to test. I’m guessing long work hours before the week of shows, super late to bed on the show nights, and up early to work the following mornings (hubby and friends slept in so were well rested lol) meant I was run down so my immune system was weak. 

No regrets but hope nobody else at the show got really sick! It’s so random right now but fist bump to Stone for wearing a mask lately. He’s obviously feeling the need to be super careful (or fighting cold symptoms and doesn’t want to share the germ love!).
    I hope you feel better soon!

• LYackyLYacky 🇨🇦 Posts: 72
    RSR said:

I was really interested go hear Ed talk about not playing Vancouver due to the border crossing. I know it was a nightmare for them in 2013, but hoping they'll "come back!" ... That song was also a highlight for me, as was Dissident, Rockin', and Light Years. Another highlight was Mike heading off stage to play for the front row. Epic!!
    So the last time PJ played in Vancouver was 2013? What happened to them at the border back in 2013? I went to Hamilton concert not Toronto so I didn't hear this story and would love to know what happened. Thx! 
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675

My wife who was in section 119 with me developed very similar if not exact same symptoms... and has now also tested positive for COVID. 

Hopefully you recover fully and quickly. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    Parksy said:

My wife who was in section 119 with me developed very similar if not exact same symptoms... and has now also tested positive for COVID. 

Thanks, I don’t want to jinx it but today it feels like I’m clearing out the last of the congestion but continue to isolate in my bedroom.

I’m sorry to hear about your wife and wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Not sure if it's been mentioned or not so apologies if so.   Wanted to share this: 

ACC (Scotiabank Arena) was my first of I want to say three or four Hip shows at the venue. I didn't even realize the studio connection between the two bands until Gord's diagnosis. I knew Adam Casper produced both of the bands around the same time, but never equated that to them knowing each other or even meeting. 

I'm not sure why, but it meant a lot to me personally when Ed paid tribute to Gord at the Wrigley show acknowledging The Hip's last show in Kingston at the time. While Pearl Jam is often 1 and The Hip 2 for me... sometimes it seems like 1A and 1B. 

If you're unfamiliar with The Hip, you need only have to imagine Pearl Jam doing a farewell tour... knowing Eddie was going to die in a year. Let that image or thought soak for a second to get an idea of how heavy this was for a lot of us. 

Having seen The Hip at ACC for the last time... and seeing Gord needing large screens to read the lyrics and just knowing that it was the last one for me.....  it was emotional to say the least. 

With last week's show I reflect on a few things with appreciation.  Ed's story about Gord, his message to his brothers who were in attendance, Jeff's shirt, and their dedication of Light Years. These things mattered to me.  And I am thankful. 

But... what hit me the most and what still hits me today is hearing Gord's Here, Here, and Here as the Pre-Stage walkout song. I could be wrong, but I'm venturing a guess that it was Jeff's decision.  Either way... whoever decided it.... Thank You.  Even though it was so fucking remarkably sad...  it was the perfect way to remember him and his beautiful voice and his beautiful spirit. To just hear him in that space again got me choked up. I still miss him almost every day... which is odd to say about a fellow I never met. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    excellent post Parksy. He and Cornell hit me often in the same way you describe. 

I still cannot fathom the unimaginable courage it took for Gord to stand in front of tens of thousands on a tour, not knowing if he one minute he'd be ranting and the next minute wondering where he was, or even simply just flubbing a lyric or two, also knowing the scrutiny with everyone in the building knowing what he was dealing with. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Parksy said:
    Not sure if it's been mentioned or not so apologies if so.   Wanted to share this: 

ACC (Scotiabank Arena) was my first of I want to say three or four Hip shows at the venue. I didn't even realize the studio connection between the two bands until Gord's diagnosis. I knew Adam Casper produced both of the bands around the same time, but never equated that to them knowing each other or even meeting. 

I'm not sure why, but it meant a lot to me personally when Ed paid tribute to Gord at the Wrigley show acknowledging The Hip's last show in Kingston at the time. While Pearl Jam is often 1 and The Hip 2 for me... sometimes it seems like 1A and 1B. 

If you're unfamiliar with The Hip, you need only have to imagine Pearl Jam doing a farewell tour... knowing Eddie was going to die in a year. Let that image or thought soak for a second to get an idea of how heavy this was for a lot of us. 

Having seen The Hip at ACC for the last time... and seeing Gord needing large screens to read the lyrics and just knowing that it was the last one for me.....  it was emotional to say the least. 

With last week's show I reflect on a few things with appreciation.  Ed's story about Gord, his message to his brothers who were in attendance, Jeff's shirt, and their dedication of Light Years. These things mattered to me.  And I am thankful. 

But... what hit me the most and what still hits me today is hearing Gord's Here, Here, and Here as the Pre-Stage walkout song. I could be wrong, but I'm venturing a guess that it was Jeff's decision.  Either way... whoever decided it.... Thank You.  Even though it was so fucking remarkably sad...  it was the perfect way to remember him and his beautiful voice and his beautiful spirit. To just hear him in that space again got me choked up. I still miss him almost every day... which is odd to say about a fellow I never met. 
    Very well said thanks for sharing. 

We got a little bit extra of Here, Here, and Here too when the light fixture got hung up and started swinging around delaying the bands stage entrance. I thought it actually played out better with a longer walk on song like this building the crowds anticipation. 
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Parksy said:

My wife and I were in 107. She developed the same symptoms as you guys. She started feeling it Sunday, took a rapid test and was negative. Felt worse yesterday, took another test and is positive. She still feels pretty crappy today. I feel fine.
    Hope everyone starts to feel better soon
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    @Parksy - great post.

I also had been wondering all these years about what sort of connection The Hip/Gord had with Pearl Jam so it was great that Eddie spoke very directly about it during the show.

Like many here, I also saw The Hip many times over the years: Canada Days at Molson Park, Another Roadside Attraction, the Gardens, Rochester, ACC, Phoenix Club, and Massey Hall. For their final show I got up in the middle of the night in Ireland to watch the CBC broadcast. Even to the end they never disappointed.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
    Another great show but my god the place inside was so cold. They had the air conditioners way too high.
  • This was my first time seeing them out of the U.S. very happy with the setlist.  Incredible show. I finally got Sometimes after 33 shows of chasing it as well as a few more Gigaton songs for the first time (Who Ever Said, Never Destination, and River Cross).  That said, I got covid here, I believe.  Section 118, row 22.  2 days later.  I had to miss the Camden show I had GA Pit tix for.  I’ll be depressed for a while over that. Very hard pill to swallow, but getting to see them in Toronto was an amazing experience.  
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • I couldn't make the Toronto show and now have 2 commemorative tickets to sell ($20) if anyone is interested. Section 101, Row 29, Seat 23-24. Hope whoever bought the tickets liked the seats!! 
  • Finally framed my poster!
    amljbono said:

Finally framed my poster!

Awesome!!

• JseeteenakJseeteenak Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada Posts: 64
    amljbono said:
    Finally framed my poster!
    Where did you get your frame, and what size is it?