Options

*** Pearl Jam Toronto, Canada Fanviews 9/8/22 ***

13»

Comments

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2022
    over 4 years since i last saw pj in 2018.2 of my 3 of top bands ever, no longer exist/tour.  rip x 2
    pearl jam is the last one still at it. 4 years without seeing them play live was painful
    at this stage/pace we haven't got a lot of more shows together
    hearing the gord song before the band hit was so poignant. herex3 is the last song on secret path.
    ed used the same art director as gord did(secret path). and has mentioned gord b4 8/20/16
    all my top 3 bands take care of their fans x10. for that, i remain so very grateful.
    all the new shows, become bigger gifts, the older i get
    river cross, light years, and i screamed out last kiss so loud at this show
    more than i ever have before.
    Post edited by helplessdancer on
  • Options
    BenToadBenToad Posts: 39
  • Options
    BenToadBenToad Posts: 39
    Great Show!  The two year wait on top of the four years from the 2016 Toronto shows was brutal and I was a little disappointed that Toronto was no longer the first show that would get to hear the debut of some Gigaton songs live but honestly I was just happy to see the boys live again and they did not disappoint.  For me seeing a Pearl Jam show is like a great roller coaster ride in that as soon as it ends you want to just run right back and do it again.

I was excited to have my first GA experience although a bit hesitant due to Chronic pain issues I developed over the Covid wait but my teenage daughter and I found a nice spot off to the left side of the front row which ended up working out great when Mike came off stage and put his guitar out towards my daughter (that’s her hand in the picture) which made her night and mine (as I’m sure most parents will agree nothing is better than to see your children happy).

In regards to the Chronic Pain I made it halfway through the show before it started to hit and I had to squat down to the floor for relief but all the people around me where great at giving space and a super big Thank You to the usher and security guard supervisor who checked to make sure I was okay and gave me a bottle of water.   Met some nice people, the arena staff was top notch, and the band was in fine form a very enjoyable night (aside from the pain).

I hope everyone enjoys the few pictures I posted but I had to leave my favourite one out for personal safety as I got caught taking a selfie on said teenage daughters phone before the show started and the look of disdain on her face in the photo is priceless.  Front row tickets at a Pearl Jam show - Yeah Thanks Dad! But don’t you dare touch my phone! - if looks could kill.  So I’m sure you all understand it is in the interest of my own personal safety that I don’t share that picture with you lest I incur the wrath of a teenage girl. 😁

Thank You again to the band, crew, and arena staff for a great show.  I hope the wait between this one and the next will be much shorter.

Also I want to give a shout out to Justin Erickson for a beautiful poster with an even better message on the back of it.  The premise of the candle enduring despite all the pressure around it trying to put it out was an inspiring message to convey after everything the world has endured the last two years with Covid, lockdowns, political turmoil, and natural disasters.  Thank You for a message of hope it was needed and well earned.
  • Options
    vinyl boyvinyl boy Posts: 178
    Poster framed out with sticker, tix and pics 
  • Options
    Toronto was a great show.  I hope by this time, everyone who got covid at the show has recovered.  As already mentioned, the band sounded amazing.  I particularly enjoyed the first half of the set.  While the last half of the set was amazing, I probably would have changed it a bit if it was my choice, but I will get to lthat ater on in this review. 
    For this show, I went with my Fiance who is from Ukraine.  Prior to attending, I was nervous as my Fiance has never been to any rock and roll show before.  In my opinion, I think a Pearl Jam show is a good start.  She is not that huge into heavy music so my least hope was that she would enjoy it, and not just for my sake.  Whether she will ever listen to the bootleg on her own remains a mystery, but I think she did enjoy the show despite not having any dea on any on any of the lyrics.  At some point in time I will test her out on whether she makes any worse interpretations than the Elton John example or Rock n Roll all night, and if she does i will mention, but that is already a tough barrier to break.  Regardless of all that, I think she had an amazing time.

The tribute to Ulraine before River Cross was very meaningful.  As events continue to progress throughout time, they don't always have the same impact as they did in the beginning and instead can become background noise, especially if it does not really have any impact on ourselves.   Hearing the tribute to Ulraine after 6 months of continuous war over there was very appreciated and I think it meant something to my Fiance that Ukraine were acknowledged for there efforts.  Personally I am sickened by these events and I hope this will all get resolved in as best of a peaceful manor as possible, for all of us, but only time will tell?..
        Getting back to the show, the first half of the set rocked and I can't explain,  I think it was just the way the setlist went and I must say that the Gigaton songs really gelled well with the rest of the set as there were no awkward silent moments. 
    The second half of the set wouldnt have been my first choice of songs, especially Last Kiss.  It is such a nice song but yet the lyrics are so tragic.  Back in the day I loved this song (when Pearl Jam released there bootlegs back in 2000 when i discovered that there were 72 to choose from, i did emphasize to find one with last kiss and chose Nuremburg Germany).  It wasnt until I really paid attention to the lyrics that I just cringe now when I hear it.  That song tied with Jeremy in the set, just gave me the impression that the Devil is lurking (King Jeremy, the Wicked!).  The song Last Kiss is something I don't want for anyone to experience in real life, even for my most worst enemies (as much as that is tough to admit at times).  As much as I hated hearing that song, Ed also did make a quote somewhere in the lines that we should make the best of every moment we have, which is what I try to take away from this second half of the set and to face my biggest fears (in whcih one is losing someone close)
      Ending that set with the full version of Leash would have made me  ecstatic!  I was ready to sing at the top of my lungs for King Jeremy the Wicked To Get out of my Fucking face!  I have know idea what my Fiance would think of me right now if they did play it, as I was ready to go nuts.  It was still nice to hear Alive, but it wasnt leash!  Regardless the intention was there and I will keep that intention any time I listen to this set of the boot and I will leave it at that.
     For all who read this, thanks for reading and thank you Pearl Jam for continually bringing amazing energy and I hope and pray that it will continue to go on as long as possible.  Thanks and God Speed! 
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,655
    vinyl boy said:
    Looks awesome. I ordered a Toronto poster today. Couldn’t resist!!!
  • Options
    JseeteenakJseeteenak Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada Posts: 70
    vinyl boy said:

What size frame is that?
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,655

Poster arrived today. Love it. 
  • Options

It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    excellent post Parksy. He and Cornell hit me often in the same way you describe. 

I still cannot fathom the unimaginable courage it took for Gord to stand in front of tens of thousands on a tour, not knowing if he one minute he'd be ranting and the next minute wondering where he was, or even simply just flubbing a lyric or two, also knowing the scrutiny with everyone in the building knowing what he was dealing with. 
    It’s so amazing that he had to relearn 90 songs prior to that final tour. Through all the treatment and surgery his mind was still strong.  Showed tremendous will and determination, and Grace, Too.  :)