The Golf Thread

Comments

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    edited September 2022
    How much does a lifetime membership at Carne cost?  Asking for a friend.

edit: What happens if they go out of business?  I know it's tough out there to get tourists where they are, tucked away.
    Post edited by ddeschler on
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited September 2022
    The cost was $3,000.   If the course is purchased my membership would carryover to the new owner.  No return though if the golf course just folds.  But I think breakeven is reasonable for me if I can get over there three more times and take advantage of discounts at other courses from it.  Plan would be to work remotely near Carne for a week and get 6-7 rounds in, and then spend two more weeks golfing in Ireland and taking advantage of the 50% discounts at about 7 other courses. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Rory is playing phenomenal.  Too bad he doesn't have more wins to show for it, but he got the $18M win.
  • Rorys all round game is on form. Looks very good
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Well this has been the most entertaining thing to happen with LIV so far.  :lol:

• 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    That's fantastic
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Not sure if the Presidents Cup was ever alive, but it is certainly dead now.  
  • They freed up my weekend to play golf and watch football.  I watched about 5 min yesterday, 0 today, likely 0 this weekend.  Not interested.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I haven’t seen a minute of it live yet. Watching the late night replay. I’ll have it on this weekend when I’m home.

I think LIV is fucked. Assuming they block players from these international events, and get them more/comparable money, I don’t see many more defections. 

Tom Kim rules 
    As I said drunk and stoned last night!

Tom Kim rules

LIV is fucked 
    All things considered after the first day or so, not ending until 5:30 Sunday is pretty impressive 
    Was out of town on a golf trip so only got to watch a bit of Thursday and when I got back yesterday....shocked that it wasn't officially over until later on Sunday.  For how decimated the International team was due to all the LIV guys leaving, pretty impressive performance from them.

Agreed Cliffy, Tom Kim is awesome.  Hadn't even heard of this guys name 4-5 months ago and now he's turning into a star.
    I guess all those networks that were interested in LIV didn't work out so well huh?  Turns out Greg Norman was full of shit......shocking.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/09/27/liv-golf-fox-sports-buy-time-to-air-tournaments/
  • The LPGA pays for time on network TV too.  It's unfortunate that Fox is willing to take LIV's money.  Time on a network will sports wash their operation even further, and help them draw more players.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    “Any advertiser who touches this will get blasted,” a longtime sports TV executive said. “It’s a weak product but it’s a tainted product on top of that.”

basically Fox’ relationship with trump is forcing this to happen. Disgusting in so many ways. I’m boycotting any advertiser touching this.
    “Any advertiser who touches this will get blasted,” a longtime sports TV executive said. “It’s a weak product but it’s a tainted product on top of that.”

basically Fox’ relationship with trump is forcing this to happen. Disgusting in so many ways. I’m boycotting any advertiser touching this.
    Yeah I saw Kushner is helping make this happen...not surprising in the least given his relationship with MBS and the Saudis...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited September 2022
    You guys really hate LIV.  Assuming you are American citizens, your government sells weapons to this oppressive regime.  Not a peep about this in social media.  But hosting a golf tournament?  Beware the ides of March.  

Sportswashing?   My opinion of SA isn’t changing because of all this.  Anyone with a soul and brain should be able to separate the country from the golf.  It really is getting embarrassing hearing the comments from the PGA and DP players.  They need to move on.  Sound like bitter ex-spouses.

Golf has never been more interesting except for the Tiger era.
    You guys really hate LIV.  Assuming you are American citizens, your government sells weapons to this oppressive regime.  Not a peep about this in social media.  But hosting a golf tournament?  Beware the ides of March.  

Sportswashing?   My opinion of SA isn’t changing because of all this.  Anyone with a soul and brain should be able to separate the country from the golf.  It really is getting embarrassing hearing the comments from the PGA and DP players.  They need to move on.  Sound like bitter ex-spouses.

Golf has never been more interesting except for the Tiger era.
    You love you some LIV!

How's the game, itself, more interesting right now? Or are you just talking about the noise on social media?

I have not seen one hole of LIV, nor do I have any desire to do so. It still seems like a glorified exhibition featuring mostly over the hill golfers with some dumb gimmicks. Then you toss in the Saudi and Trump stuff and....yeah, no thanks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    What comments are embarrassing??  Should the PGA and DP Tour players not be pissed off?  LIV and these players are suing the Tour.  The Tour is the players so they're essentially suing the players.  But hey, if you find all that interesting, enjoy.

And honestly I don't even care about the Saudi stuff that much.  Their money is fucking everywhere.  I know they are horrible people and this joke of a golf league isn't going to change my view.  I just don't find LIV entertaining at all....it's a charity golf outing disguised as real competition. 
    edited September 2022
    I haven’t watched any LIV golf.  The tour has been wash rinse repeat for years without Tiger to make it exciting.  

Was the BMW Championship in England more exciting this year?  Hell yeah it was with all of the tension with the LIV guys.   Rory’s storyline this year has been great with his play and his role in all of this.  

Yankees - Red Sox is much more exciting than Yankees- Rays.  There is rivalry, animosity with the Sox.  
  • I like LIV and even went to the final round of the Bedminster tournament. I just wish the Tour sat down with Norman in an effort to coexist. Maybe they could’ve had the LIV events in that span of months between the Tour Championship and the Masters. I think the only viewer of PGA events during those months is my father. Could’ve been some interesting “off-season” golf. 

Other than going to Bedminster, I haven’t seen much else other than some highlights. But the final team tournament actually sounds kinda cool. And it’s no more meaningless to me than the Presidents Cup so I’ll probably check it out. It’s on during the week, not the weekend. 

Presidents Cup side-bar: Why not add a third event where the Europeans play the Internationals? Rather than only having the Internationals always losing to the Americans, and the Europeans usually losing to the Americans? It would give the Americans a year off rather than playing in these “Cups” every year, and the European/International event would be cool in its own right. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    This thread is dropping.  Everyone not in the south shutting it down for the season?   Still have some good weeks left I think.  Got a member-guest I was invited to play end of October.  Should be fun and hopefully weather is nice.  Never played Pinehurst style. 
    edited October 2022
    So I played yesterday morning and it kind of sucked. Hour and ten minute frost delay. How do courses not send out texts or something when this happens? Could've slept in another hour. Ugh. The friend I played with with is the only other guy from our old foursome who still plays and he's been going through this Chuck Knoblauch syndrome for about a year now where he basically forgot how to play. His swing is all messed up and he keeps switching between a baseball and interlocking grip. He is a mess. To make matters worse, he complains non stop about everything beginning with his first tee shot. Then he kept saying how he was gonna leave after 9 holes yada yada yada....which I would've been fin with but the course we played didn't meet up with the clubhouse until hole 15 so I had to endure his poor attitude for a longer period of time. Very frustrating and very awkward. Shot a 93...should've been better but when you're playing with someone exhibiting that negative energy it's tough to deal with.

He used to be halfway decent. We used to have some relatively competitive matches that we'd always gamble on. Now we don't even keep his score. 

I don't know why I continue to ask him to play and I don't know why he continues to say yes. lol. I guess I am just hoping he says "yeah, I've worked my way out of this slump, lets go!" I would've been much happier going out as a single. 

Had to get that off my chest. Rant over. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This thread is dropping.  Everyone not in the south shutting it down for the season?   Still have some good weeks left I think.  Got a member-guest I was invited to play end of October.  Should be fun and hopefully weather is nice.  Never played Pinehurst style. 

Still going here in Chicago area.   The fact that it's dark by 645 now is slowing me down since I would usually get 18 in 1 afternoon during the week with my weekends full of youth sports.  Played 9 on a beautiful afternoon last week.  I'll just have to keep sneaking in 9 holes as long as the weather permits which is usually sometime in November.  And then the usual December-March period with nothing but indoor simulators.  
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Only played twice this year, but going to play Wed-Thurs-Friday this week. Kids are on fall break and the wife is taking them with her to her mom's house. I had enough vacation days left to take off as well. Not playing anywhere special just really looking forward to getting out there.
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    I got to Sand Valley for the first time this weekend.  It's up there with Bandon.  Similar vibe and experience.  Owned by the same family.  Will be even better when they open a couple more courses in the next 2 years.

That's incredible.  Thinking about doing Sand Valley next summer for my 40th.  Although I'd almost rather wait a couple years until the new courses open up.  
    Phil is losing his mind.  Now he's saying he never did an interview with Shipnuck.  I guess that long statement he released apologizing for things he said in that interview was fake too???

So is he mincing words and making the argument he thought it was off the record so not an interview?  Definitely some legal play here.