If you had to name one (and only one) favorite live recorded piece...

13»

Comments

• vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:
    The Stones were doomed the minute The Who hit the stage...their fans and the band can make every excuse they want(they were fucked up, they've been sitting around all day and went on late, bla bla bla). They could've went on before the Who and the Who still would've wiped their ass, no comparison ever between the 2 bands live. And I've seen both bands over 25x's combined🎸 That’s why they buried the show in their vaults for 30 years😎
    So hold on, people think The Who in this was better than the Stones?  For energy I think Pete kills it.  For sound I thought Stones were better.  Jagger and the rest were effortless in really great sounding.

I'll have to watch this again and see.
    So, wait you think were just saying this cause were bigger Who fans than Stones fans? First of all I love the Stones I have seen them 8 or 9x's and it certainly wasn't cause I don't love the band, their music or live show. Secondly, if you don't know the history of the Rock n Roll Circus you should do some research on it(It is pretty much a given The Who destroyed not only the Stones but, also everyone else at this show and it's also known that the Stones buried this show in their vaults for almost 30 years). If you think the Stones were better than the Who at this show that's your prerogative, music is completely subjective. For my eyes and ears there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 bands not only from this performance but, also the live history of both bands.
    The Who are very raw in it.  That I like.  They definitely are more animate.   The stones besides Mick were statues which I also thought was cool as hell.  The Stones are very polished and their sound is nothing short of stellar.

I liked both but enjoyed the smooth sound of the stones and I did think Jagger was dynamic.

Live history of both bands is interesting also.  The first few years of the Stones were pretty much unrecordable from what I've read because of all the screaming done at them from the fans.

EDIT:  So I went back and watched this again like I said I would.  2 things I missed was the mic swinging and hearing the hiss of it being twirled.  I liked that.

I also liked at 4:36 in the upswing in the song.  Keith Moon on that kit was great and Pete was really feeling it.

To be fair I had never heard this song until this and while I think it's good the Stones were more familiar to me prefer it.

I like the back and forth.  I'm always curious on how others view what they watch and hear.

• vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:
    The Stones were doomed the minute The Who hit the stage...their fans and the band can make every excuse they want(they were fucked up, they've been sitting around all day and went on late, bla bla bla). They could've went on before the Who and the Who still would've wiped their ass, no comparison ever between the 2 bands live. And I've seen both bands over 25x's combined🎸 That’s why they buried the show in their vaults for 30 years😎
    So hold on, people think The Who in this was better than the Stones?  For energy I think Pete kills it.  For sound I thought Stones were better.  Jagger and the rest were effortless in really great sounding.

So, wait you think were just saying this cause were bigger Who fans than Stones fans? First of all I love the Stones I have seen them 8 or 9x's and it certainly wasn't cause I don't love the band, their music or live show. Secondly, if you don't know the history of the Rock n Roll Circus you should do some research on it(It is pretty much a given The Who destroyed not only the Stones but, also everyone else at this show and it's also known that the Stones buried this show in their vaults for almost 30 years). If you think the Stones were better than the Who at this show that's your prerogative, music is completely subjective. For my eyes and ears there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 bands not only from this performance but, also the live history of both bands.
    The Who are very raw in it.  That I like.  They definitely are more animate.   The stones besides Mick were statues which I also thought was cool as hell.  The Stones are very polished and their sound is nothing short of stellar.

I liked both but enjoyed the smooth sound of the stones and I did think Jagger was dynamic.

Live history of both bands is interesting also.  The first few years of the Stones were pretty much unrecordable from what I've read because of all the screaming done at them from the fans.

EDIT:  So I went back and watched this again like I said I would.  2 things I missed was the mic swinging and hearing the hiss of it being twirled.  I liked that.

I also liked at 4:36 in the upswing in the song.  Keith Moon on that kit was great and Pete was really feeling it.

To be fair I had never heard this song until this and while I think it's good the Stones were more familiar to me prefer it.

I like the back and forth.  I'm always curious on how others view what they watch and hear.

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but, if you've never heard A Quick One While He's Away there's no reason to continue discussing this performance, the history of this event or the 2 bands. It just gets old that just because the Stones became more popular(and the Who was huge) that somehow makes them better, not even close live...quick question, what historical live show are the Stones known for? Probably Altamont and it was total chaos and destruction, the end of the 60's and the Stones lasting impression wasn't of this memorable night of music...ask the same question of the Who and you might get 4 different answers...1) Monterey 2) Woodstock 3) Isle of Wight 4) Concert for NY and I'm not even counting the Rock n Roll Circus...and at every one of these shows the Who destroyed everyone including Hendrix, Jimi gets saved caused he burned his guitar at Monterey basically stealing the Who's show(Mama Cass sitting next to PT hey, isn't Jimi stealing your show) and Jimi playing the SSB at Woodstock otherwise the Who destroyed him to! The only time the Who got upstaged ever competing against other bands was at Live Aid when Queen stole the show from everyone(Queen had been touring for 6 months and the Who was broken up and hadn't played a show together in 3 year's).
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    vito said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but, if you've never heard A Quick One While He's Away there's no reason to continue discussing this performance, the history of this event or the 2 bands. It just gets old that just because the Stones became more popular(and the Who was huge) that somehow makes them better, not even close live...quick question, what historical live show are the Stones known for? Probably Altamont and it was total chaos and destruction, the end of the 60's and the Stones lasting impression wasn't of this memorable night of music...ask the same question of the Who and you might get 4 different answers...1) Monterey 2) Woodstock 3) Isle of Wight 4) Concert for NY and I'm not even counting the Rock n Roll Circus...and at every one of these shows the Who destroyed everyone including Hendrix, Jimi gets saved caused he burned his guitar at Monterey basically stealing the Who's show(Mama Cass sitting next to PT hey, isn't Jimi stealing your show) and Jimi playing the SSB at Woodstock otherwise the Who destroyed him to! The only time the Who got upstaged ever competing against other bands was at Live Aid when Queen stole the show from everyone(Queen had been touring for 6 months and the Who was broken up and hadn't played a show together in 3 year's).

I mostly agree with you here, Vito, but it's hard to compare The Who and Jimi Hendrix as they were very, very different.  I saw both the Who and Jimi Hendrix in 1968 (different shows) and it's never at all occurred to me to compare those two performances.  They were both very much one my favorite shows, I absolutely loves both performances, but for very different reasons.  They were hugely different shows, with very different vibes, but both absolutely unforgettable.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• vito said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

Your not being disrespectful you're just telling me that I can't have an opinion because I am unfamiliar with the song and that's wrong.

I listened to it a few times and it's good but I prefer the Stones. You don't and that is fine, I'm not telling you you're wrong. I do and still think that the Stones sound better.

That's all.  I gave my reasons.

I never knew that music festivals were competitions?  That is interesting.

brianlux said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

I mostly agree with you here, Vito, but it's hard to compare The Who and Jimi Hendrix as they were very, very different.  I saw both the Who and Jimi Hendrix in 1968 (different shows) and it's never at all occurred to me to compare those two performances.  They were both very much one my favorite shows, I absolutely loves both performances, but for very different reasons.  They were hugely different shows, with very different vibes, but both absolutely unforgettable.
    When Jimi came to England who did Chas Chandler make sure he met? It was the Who, they were on the same label and PT introduced him to Marshall stack and Jimi copied everything they did from gear to set-up to the 3 piece musicianship. Outside of Jimi's abilities to solo, there's nothing he did musically or on stage that he didn't take from the Who and make no mistake he didn't want to go on after the Who at Monterey that's why they flipped a coin backstage.
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

vito said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

Your not being disrespectful you're just telling me that I can't have an opinion because I am unfamiliar with the song and that's wrong.

I listened to it a few times and it's good but I prefer the Stones. You don't and that is fine, I'm not telling you you're wrong. I do and still think that the Stones sound better.

That's all.  I gave my reasons.

I never knew that music festivals were competitions?  That is interesting.

Of course their competition's 
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

vito said:
    brianlux said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

When Jimi came to England who did Chas Chandler make sure he met? It was the Who, they were on the same label and PT introduced him to Marshall stack and Jimi copied everything they did from gear to set-up to the 3 piece musicianship. Outside of Jimi's abilities to solo, there's nothing he did musically or on stage that he didn't take from the Who and make no mistake he didn't want to go on after the Who at Monterey that's why they flipped a coin backstage.

Sorry Vito, but no way am I interested in engaging in this kind of argument.  I've heard it all, have been familiar with both the stories and the music of both The Who and Hendrix from day one, have seen both of them live, have reads stacks of books about both, and at this point, there's really nothing to add.  Sorry, I don't mean to sound stuck up or come across as an expert, but honestly, I've heard it all and the argument seems totally pointless to me.

Beside, it's not a contest!!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    vito said:
    brianlux said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

Sorry Vito, but no way am I interested in engaging in this kind of argument.  I've heard it all, have been familiar with both the stories and the music of both The Who and Hendrix from day one, have seen both of them live, have reads stacks of books about both, and at this point, there's really nothing to add.  Sorry, I don't mean to sound stuck up or come across as an expert, but honestly, I've heard it all and the argument seems totally pointless to me.

Beside, it's not a contest!!!
    That's fine but, nothing I've stated isn't true and it's not an argument it's setting the record straight for alot of things the Beatles, Stones, Jimi and LZ have taken credit for that they don't deserve. And I love all of them but, it really gets tiring after 50+ years of inaccurate history regarding what really happened and when it happened! I'm done!!😎
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

Another favorite live recorded piece of mine is this one off Larry Coryell's Live at the Village Gate.  I saw Coryell and his trio at Fillmore West about a year before this recording.  He was awesome!  True, he was not a stellar singer (although I like his and Julie Coryell's singing) so if that part doesn't do it for you, the longer instrumental portion of the piece which makes up that latter half is terrific!

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2022
    Peter Frampton. DO YOU FFEEELLLL. LIKE WE DOOOOO
    Wah wah wah wup wu wah

Or Metallica mexico city from live shit. Fade to Black
    hrd2imgn said:
    Peter Frampton. DO YOU FFEEELLLL. LIKE WE DOOOOO
    Wah wah wah wup wu wah

Or Metallica mexico city from live shit. Fade to Black

Frampton is cool! I didn't realize until very recently that he played lead guitar on several songs from John Entwistle's album, Wistle Rymes. Good stuff!
    Primary