Options

If you had to name one (and only one) favorite live recorded piece...

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
...what would it be?  (Just one song, piece or medley.  i.e., one cut)

I was thinking about this today.  Tough choice.  Something by Hendrix?  The Dream Syndicate?  Pearl Jam? Neil Young and Crazy Horse?  Sun Ra?
So many choices.  But if I had to list just one, it would be "My Generation" from "The Who, Live at Leeds" (especially off the Polydor Half-Speed mastered 3 LP box).
Brilliant!

Yours?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 923
    Lately I can't stop listening to outro for Oasis Supersonic Earls Court UK 1995. Noel Gallagher take a bow. A band just taking off. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited August 2022

Woodstock-Jimi Hendrix-Star Spangled Banner

Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761
    song remains the same expanded remastered version,

no quarter
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    The energy that PJ had when they played Animal at the MTV awards is fantastic.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    This whole concert, but this is the finale 

https://youtu.be/bm03wqLY3Nc
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    You sure know how to ask difficult questions! If I had to pick just one would probably be from Allman Brothers Band live at Atlanta Pop festival 1970 Whipping Post 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,867
    brianlux said:
    ...what would it be?  (Just one song, piece or medley.  i.e., one cut)

I was thinking about this today.  Tough choice.  Something by Hendrix?  The Dream Syndicate?  Pearl Jam? Neil Young and Crazy Horse?  Sun Ra?
    So many choices.  But if I had to list just one, it would be "My Generation" from "The Who, Live at Leeds" (especially off the Polydor Half-Speed mastered 3 LP box).
    Brilliant!

Yours?

I absolutely love Magic Bus off Live at Leeds. When that one comes on I crank it. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Do The Evolution from Live on Two Legs. I’ve listened to that track more than any other track ever. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    That’s easy
    Dave Matthews solo 10/24/02 Benaroya Hall, The Stone

my first Dave related show and one of the first concerts I attended in college/as an adult seeing my music. It was probably concert #4 or #5 for me. Prior to that it was a lot of concerts with my Dad seeing his music.

Drove to Seattle and that was the opener 

twenty years later it’s still a gem of a performance.  One dude and a guitar so it had to have been a great show 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    Porch - Drop In The Park
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,499
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    23scidoo said:
    They did this in 4K I think this it is a FANTATSTIC performance.  They played so nonchalant and Micks voice is superb.
  • Options
    Great answers here.  All different, all excellent choices. Super!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,349
    Led Zeppelin-Since I’ve Been Loving You 4/1/71. From the Complete BBC Sessions. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,929
    Immortality- Melbourne 1998. Just off the top of head..one of my all time favourite live pieces. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2022
    Close second to the Purple One. 

(Crazy that the only place I can find a decent source of this these days is Reddit. Makes you wonder if the estate is working on an official film or something.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/jimihendrix/comments/t6rglr/machine_gun_fillmore_1970_re_edit_higher_quality/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x

(Please note: I don’t know how to Reddit, so I’m really hoping that the link above works.)

Edit: And the triumvirate.

https://youtu.be/cLiIJjCHyyU

This whole film is part of my goddamn DNA!

But it probably took me about five years to notice Nick Mason dropping his stick and not missing a beat during this awesome live performance of "One of These Days" for the ghosts of Pompeii (around the five-minute mark). 

*Trivia: The Beastie Boys wound up with the road cases from this film.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    Neil and Crazy Horse - Cowgirl in the Sand, live at the Fillmore East 1970
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Close second to the Purple One. 

Crazy that the only place I can find a decent source of this these days is Reddit. Makes you wonder if the estate is working on an official film or something. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/jimihendrix/comments/t6rglr/machine_gun_fillmore_1970_re_edit_higher_quality/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x

Please note: I don’t know how to Reddit, so I’m really hoping that the link above works. 

Edit: And the triumverate.

https://youtu.be/cLiIJjCHyyU

This whole film is part of my goddamn DNA!

But it took probably me about five years to notice Nick Mason dropping his stick and not missing a beat during this awesome live performance of "One of These Days" for the ghosts of Pompeii (around the five-minute mark). 

*Trivia: The Beastie Boys wound up with the road cases from this film.
    It works  =)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761
    Led Zeppelin-Since I’ve Been Loving You 4/1/71. From the Complete BBC Sessions. 

same box 6-26-69(performance date accordingvto an old boit I had once upon a time), listed as 8-10-69(air date I believe)
    white summer/black mountainside
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    there's way too many live jerry tracks, to pick just one
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    Comfortably Numb from Pulse. 

My daughter was on a mission a while back to find the absolute best performance of that song, either by Pink Floyd or David Gilmour solo. Pulse won handily, in our collective opinion.

It was a great bonding experience for us and that performance is breathtaking. 

Runners up for me are "Great Gig in the Sky" from that same release and "Sister Heroine" from Beth Hart at Royal Albert Hall.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    goldrush said:
    Neil and Crazy Horse - Cowgirl in the Sand, live at the Fillmore East 1970
    This one's WAY up on my list!
    LB260405 said:
    As is this.  I can watch Keith's drumming here all day long!  So bizarre that the Rolling Stone organization suppressed the Rock and Roll Circus video for 28 years! 

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    PJ - Man of the Hour - Live at Benaroyal Hall. 

Magic
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    You've done it again Brian another SUPERB musical question. Let's see so many to choose from however the answer has to come from my favorite all-time rock band.

That said the song I'll choose is not my favorite by the band however I'm choosing this song because of the significance to band and their career in rock music. It came out at time when the record company wanted them to record radio friendly hits and the band said simply NO. We will record what we want to record whether it makes us or breaks us. It was their 4th album and third with Neil Elwood Peart writing the lyrics. They took a chance, huge chance and it paid off over time. Most RUSH fans will revert back to this album as the one that brought prominence to these three twenty four year Olds. A masterpiece in what they came up with that took up one entire side of the album.

That song is 2112 that is broken up oprapratic pieces and here is one of the earliest performances back in 1976......2112

https://youtu.be/NJPAjiSX7Rk

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:
    You've done it again Brian another SUPERB musical question. Let's see so many to choose from however the answer has to come from my favorite all-time rock band.

That said the song I'll choose is not my favorite by the band however I'm choosing this song because of the significance to band and their career in rock music. It came out at time when the record company wanted them to record radio friendly hits and the band said simply NO. We will record what we want to record whether it makes us or breaks us. It was their 4th album and third with Neil Elwood Peart writing the lyrics. They took a chance, huge chance and it paid off over time. Most RUSH fans will revert back to this album as the one that brought prominence to these three twenty four year Olds. A masterpiece in what they came up with that took up one entire side of the album.

That song is 2112 that is broken up oprapratic pieces and here is one of the earliest performances back in 1976......2112

✌️

Thanks, G!  Yeah, it's been fun.  Lot's of good answers here and nicely eclectic. 
    And a fine selection from you.  I wasn't much of a Rush fan for a number of years until a friend turned me on to this, my favorite album of theirs (weird cover and all, lol):
    Hemispheres  Rushcom

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    brianlux said:
    g under p said:

✌️

Thanks, G!  Yeah, it's been fun.  Lot's of good answers here and nicely eclectic. 
    And a fine selection from you.  I wasn't much of a Rush fan for a number of years until a friend turned me on to this, my favorite album of theirs (weird cover and all, lol):
    Hemispheres  Rushcom

Yes in deed that friend turned you unto a great album. In that album is my #1 all time favorite instrumental in the song that came to guitarist Alex Lifeson in a dream 
    La Villa Strangiato. I should start a thread on favorite instrumentals.

As for that Hemispheres cover I think the inspiration came from where the album was recorded in Wales. Of the 19 albums the band recorded they never graced the cover of any of them including the live albums. I'm sure there's a story behind that revelation. 

https://youtu.be/gkGFwp05Ais

Alex's playing was just amazing on this song, a very underrated guitarist.

✌️

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

I pre-ordered this yesterday. Can't wait to hear it.
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
  • Options
    g under p said:
    brianlux said:
    g under p said:

✌️

Hemispheres  Rushcom

Yes in deed that friend turned you unto a great album. In that album is my #1 all time favorite instrumental in the song that came to guitarist Alex Lifeson in a dream 
    La Villa Strangiato. I should start a thread on favorite instrumentals.

As for that Hemispheres cover I think the inspiration came from where the album was recorded in Wales. Of the 19 albums the band recorded they never graced the cover of any of them including the live albums. I'm sure there's a story behind that revelation. 

https://youtu.be/gkGFwp05Ais

Alex's playing was just amazing on this song, a very underrated guitarist.

✌️

For sure! La Villa Strangiato is amazing!