Options

If you had to name one (and only one) favorite live recorded piece...

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    brianlux said:

So good!
    I wanted to pick “Every Grain of Sand” 1980 Demo, where you can hear the dogs barking toward the end, but I don’t believe it fit the parameters. 
  • Options
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:

So good!
    I wanted to pick “Every Grain of Sand” 1980 Demo, where you can hear the dogs barking toward the end, but I don’t believe it fit the parameters. 

Demos are often basically  live-in-the-studio.  Besides, if you love it, it fits!
    And hey, let's do a favorite demo thread!.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    brianlux said:
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:

So good!

Demos are often basically  live-in-the-studio.  Besides, if you love it, it fits!
    Well then, you already have my answer if you do a demo thread =)
  • Options
    A close second for me would be Helpless by NY on Live at Massey Hall - 1971.
  • Options
    A close second for me would be Helpless by NY on Live at Massey Hall - 1971.

Excellent choice! 
    I wish I could have a version of that album on vinyl with the music only and no in between chatter. 
    I know... I'm weird that way!

• Options
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:

So good!

Well then, you already have my answer if you do a demo thread =)

:plus_one:

• Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,694
    Leonard Cohen, Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye. My favorite Cohen song and probably one of my top 5 favorite songs. Finally got to hear the version with a Violin in Dublin back in 2012. Cant find a clip but this is the best clip that I can find from 2013 in Rotterdam 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyLKfVpzqdg
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    Kearn5y said:
    Leonard Cohen, Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye. My favorite Cohen song and probably one of my top 5 favorite songs. Finally got to hear the version with a Violin in Dublin back in 2012. Cant find a clip but this is the best clip that I can find from 2013 in Rotterdam 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyLKfVpzqdg

Nice choice!
    Here's another one by Mr. Cohen you may have seen, likely will enjoy. High on my list of live performances, for sure!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCaD6GAQmjA

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited September 2022
    Tough choice.

This one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbhCPt6PZIU
    Does anybody remember laughter?

Or this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAv71VbdkBc
    One of the few live records I still play regularly.

Honorable mention to:
    Genesis Seconds Out
    Rush Exit Stage Left
    Little Feat Waiting for Columbus

EDIT: I think Zep takes it. So good. Jimmy's playing...probably my favorite guitar performance of all time.  

Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    I’ll throw this one out there:
    “When the Musics Over” the Doors live at the Hollywood Bowl 68’

it might not be the best ever but damn if it isn’t a fucking beast of an opener and a hell of a performance!
  • Options

it might not be the best ever but damn if it isn’t a fucking beast of an opener and a hell of a performance!
    What does the sausage king of Chicago know about such things?!?
  • Options

What does the sausage king of Chicago know about such things?!?
    Everything. And he’s always right 😉
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,451
    edited September 2022
    Young Man Blues, Live at Leeds...listen close and you will hear the template for the sound of heavy metal, just another door the Who can lay claim to smashing through first. Yes, I know LAL is from 1970 and people are going to come back with Sabbath but, I chose this recording cause it's my favorite. The Who had perfected this heavy, heavy sound back in 1968.. for proof listen to the Who Live at the Fillmore East from 1968. Cream, Jimi, LZ and Black Sabbath all copied the Who 3 piece set-up musician wise and heavy sound whether they want to admit it or not!🎸
    Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    vito said:
    Young Man Blues, Live at Leeds...listen close and you will hear the template for the sound of heavy metal, just another door the Who can lay claim to smashing through first. Yes, I know LAL is from 1970 and people are going to come back with Sabbath but, I chose this recording cause it's my favorite. The Who had perfected this heavy, heavy sound back in 1968.. for proof listen to the Who Live at the Fillmore East from 1968. Cream, Jimi, LZ and Black Sabbath all copied the Who 3 piece set-up musician wise and heavy sound whether they want to admit it or not!🎸
    There was MC5 before all of that but the nod still goes to Sabbath for me, lol.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Amazing tour!
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    edited September 2022
    LB260405 said:
    The Stones were doomed the minute The Who hit the stage...their fans and the band can make every excuse they want(they were fucked up, they've been sitting around all day and went on late, bla bla bla). They could've went on before the Who and the Who still would've wiped their ass, no comparison ever between the 2 bands live. And I've seen both bands over 25x's combined🎸 That’s why they buried the show in their vaults for 30 years😎
    Post edited by vito on
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    https://youtu.be/vfKhvzUdJoM

Can I change my answer to this 
  • Options
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:
    The Stones were doomed the minute The Who hit the stage...their fans and the band can make every excuse they want(they were fucked up, they've been sitting around all day and went on late, bla bla bla). They could've went on before the Who and the Who still would've wiped their ass, no comparison ever between the 2 bands live. And I've seen both bands over 25x's combined🎸 That’s why they buried the show in their vaults for 30 years😎

Exactly! 
    I am SO glad that footage finally came to light.  The Who blew everyone away! 

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Pearl Jam “Black” MTV Unplugged. Eddie connects to you in the most intimate way to his pain. 
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Pearl Jam “Black” MTV Unplugged. Eddie connects to you in the most intimate way to his pain. 
    I agree with this. One of the most passionate performances I’ve ever seen. And has to be one of the greatest PJ moments in their illustrious career. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    edited September 2022
    Jimi Hendrix-Machine Gun

(Live performance Video)

• Options
    cutz said:
    Jimi Hendrix-Machine Gun

(Live performance Video)

Very high on my list too  On any given day, possibly my #1 as well! 

• Options
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:
    So hold on, people think The Who in this was better than the Stones?  For energy I think Pete kills it.  For sound I thought Stones were better.  Jagger and the rest were effortless in really great sounding.

I'll have to watch this again and see.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,506
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:
    So hold on, people think The Who in this was better than the Stones?  For energy I think Pete kills it.  For sound I thought Stones were better.  Jagger and the rest were effortless in really great sounding.

I agreed with you buddy.. Stones was on fire that night..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

23scidoo said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

I agreed with you buddy.. Stones was on fire that night..

I would no way argue this one even though I WAY more prefer the Who's performance in the Rock and Roll Circus film.  I found the Stones performance to be nearly embarrassing.  But so what?  I love them in "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones".  What it illustrates is the fact that we all hear music as the individuals that we are.  I may not understand another persons perspective about music, but I can respect it.  That's exactly why I never refer to any music as "bad music".  If some piece of music makes me cringe yet someone else loves it and makes them feel good, that's not a bad thing.

Oh, and speaking of Rock and Roll Circus, I love it that Taj Mahal is in that film.  I saw Taj and company play around that same same time with the exact same band feature the far too unheralded Jesse Ed Davis on guitar.  (There's a documentary about Davis that I really want to get my hands on some time!) What a great band, and Taj was on top of his game.  Excellent!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

So, wait you think were just saying this cause were bigger Who fans than Stones fans? First of all I love the Stones I have seen them 8 or 9x's and it certainly wasn't cause I don't love the band, their music or live show. Secondly, if you don't know the history of the Rock n Roll Circus you should do some research on it(It is pretty much a given The Who destroyed not only the Stones but, also everyone else at this show and it's also known that the Stones buried this show in their vaults for almost 30 years). If you think the Stones were better than the Who at this show that's your prerogative, music is completely subjective. For my eyes and ears there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 bands not only from this performance but, also the live history of both bands.
    Post edited by vito on
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

So, wait you think were just saying this cause were bigger Who fans than Stones fans? First of all I love the Stones I have seen them 8 or 9x's and it certainly wasn't cause I don't love the band, their music or live show. Secondly, if you don't know the history of the Rock n Roll Circus you should do some research on it(It is pretty much a given The Who destroyed not only the Stones but, also everyone else at this show and it's also known that the Stones buried this show in their vaults for almost 30 years). If you think the Stones were better than the Who at this show that's your prerogative, music is completely subjective. For my ears there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 bands not only from this performance but, also the live history of both bands.

Yeah, the Stones burying that film for all those years speaks volumes.  I wish I could remember where I read about the problems the Stones were having at the time.  I seem to recall (sadly) it had something to do with issues around Brian Jones.
    In any case, I agree- for my tastes, the Who's performance in that film is nearly unbeatable. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

So, wait you think were just saying this cause were bigger Who fans than Stones fans? First of all I love the Stones I have seen them 8 or 9x's and it certainly wasn't cause I don't love the band, their music or live show. Secondly, if you don't know the history of the Rock n Roll Circus you should do some research on it(It is pretty much a given The Who destroyed not only the Stones but, also everyone else at this show and it's also known that the Stones buried this show in their vaults for almost 30 years). If you think the Stones were better than the Who at this show that's your prerogative, music is completely subjective. For my ears there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 bands not only from this performance but, also the live history of both bands.

Yeah, the Stones burying that film for all those years speaks volumes.  I wish I could remember where I read about the problems the Stones were having at the time.  I seem to recall (sadly) it had something to do with issues around Brian Jones.
    In any case, I agree- for my tastes, the Who's performance in that film is nearly unbeatable. 
    Brian looks like he's half dead when the Stones take the stage, he is completely fucked up and this was pretry much the end for him. Sad, because Pete was very good friends with Brian but, he had his own issues as well as trying to prevent Moon from following in Jones inevitable self destruction. 
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

• Options
    vito said:
    brianlux said:
    vito said:
    vito said:
    LB260405 said:

Brian looks like he's half dead when the Stones take the stage, he is completely fucked up and this was pretry much the end for him. Sad, because Pete was very good friends with Brian but, he had his own issues as well as trying to prevent Moon from following in Jones inevitable self destruction. 

Hugely sad, Vito.  Brian did such great work before he fucked himself up.  So talented as a multi-instrumentalist and he did interesting work outside the realm of rock and roll working with the Moroccan musicians on Pipes of Pan at Joujouka.  I was devastated back in the day when a girl friend told me Jones had died.  The next year, I learned from the same girl that Jimi Hendrix had died.