*** Pearl Jam Toronto, Canada Fanviews 9/8/22 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited September 2022 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Toronto, CA
Scotiabank Arena
North American Tour 2022
09/08/22
Show
Set List

PEARL JAM
walk on music at 9:04 The North-Gord Downie
Band Onstage 9:06
Band Offstage 11:16

01. Daughter/Safe Is Dead-(Gord Downie)
02. Come Back
03. Sometimes
04. Her Majesty-(Lennon, McCartney)
05. All Those Yesterdays
{Ed talks about playing Toronto 17 times.  Starts to mention not playing Vancouver as much because of border issues. Realizes he has a border crossing coming and starts to praise Canadian customs.   Plays the next song for those suffering in Ukraine.}
06. River Cross
07. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright) (30 seconds long)
08. Corduroy
09. Hail Hail
10. Deep
11. Quick Escape
12. Even Flow
13. Who Ever Said/I Can’t Get No Satisfaction-(Jagger, Richards) 12 seconds long in style of Devo cover
14. I Got Shit/Cinnamon Girl-(Young) 50 seconds
15. Never Destination
16. Dissident
17. Lukin
18. Reavviewmirror

Encore Break
{Jeff is now wearing a "Gord Fucking Downie" t-shirt
Ed mentions some charities like Global Citizen, Ed and Jill’s EB charity and Matt introduced Ed to War Child.  An audience member has a sign suggesting they play Light Years for Gord Downie.  Ed gets the sign from the crowd and they play the song}

19. Light Years (for Gord Downie)
{Talk of The Tragically Hip recording in Seattle and hanging out with Gord, Chris Cornell and Adam Kasper. He addresses Gord’s brothers  “We know what it’s like to lose a brother”}
20. Do The Evolution
21. Last Kiss-(Cochran) (to the back of the arena)
22. Jeremy
{The band starts into Leash but Stone makes a mistake and things grind to a halt.  Stone then launches into Alive.  Almost stops but Ed encourages him to keep going.}
23. Alive
{Josh Klinghoffer and Jeff Ament change instruments.  Josh on bass and Jeff on keys}
24. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    Fantastic show! Sitting in a parking garage afterwards not so much. Safe travels everyone.
  • There you are!
  • tonywellingtontonywellington Posts: 41
    edited September 2022
    Great stuff as always. RVM at the end of the set was a welcome change. Early Hilites with "Come Back" and "Rivers Cross".

When they cut "Leash"  seem like they had been given a time warning as Eddie was spinning his fingers like they needed to rush. 

Also, "Her Majesty" on the day our Queen died was pretty special.

Nonetheless it was a blast.
    Post edited by tonywellington on
    Barrie 1992 
    Toronto 2003
    Kitchener 2005
    London 2005
    Toronto 1 2006
    Cleveland 2006
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011
    Hamilton 2011
    London, Ont 2013
    Buffalo 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 1 2016
    Toronto 2 2016
    Hamilton 2022
    Toronto 2022
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 783
    BEARCAT said:
    There you are!
    I see myself 🤣
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
    That main set was bonkers, so good.  Ed had some pent up energy it seemed.  Never let off the gas.  

Light Years and talking about Gord was great.  Thought jump into DTE after was a bit odd, but certainly got all jumping again.

Rest of the encore kinda fizzled for me.  If they'd done Leash and Y'Led to close (I think was in the plan), woulda felt more complete to me.

Sometimes and Hail, Hail highlights for me. Who Ever Said is continuing to be a blast live, love that song and crowd really seems to respond to it.  Glad I got Never Dest too.  Ended up with most of Gigaton over the last 3 shows, happy about that.

I Got Shit with Cinnamon Girl was also special.

RVM in place of Porch was very welcome, was a great rendition.

I almost didn't make it tonight...glad I did.  Another great show.

Barrie - '98
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363

Great show but overall it felt like Toronto got the worst of the Canadian shows. (2 songs that were each about 40 seconds and 2 scratched songs.)

Loved River Cross - Ed’s vocals on that song are powerful.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Great show. Actually awesome. Wish we got Leash but I get thry probably had to cut off the show.

Great 4 show run. Ended strong in Toronto and the Hammer. Thanks PJ.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Love seeing RVM close out the main set.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited September 2022
    First impression best show of the four if not for the encore scratches and rush. Need to think about this one some more. First set was amazing and Rearviewmirror got a huge pop. 

• Absolutely insane first time in pit.  Loved it 
  • KWOKWO Posts: 13
    Went to this show and Hamilton, my 5th and 6th shows. I feel like the vibe at the Toronto show was more exciting (may just have been the folks I was around.) Sometimes, Come Back, Hail Hail were highlights for me, and RVM was an amazing closer for the main set. Saw Light Years for the third time, and they could play that song twice a set and I wouldn't complain. I wish I didn't know that Leash and Yellow Ledbetter were originally on the list. I won't complain about any show, because who knows how much longer they'll even be playing them ... but I would have preferred the two scratched encore songs to RITFW. All in all, I walked out on a huge buzz. 
  • TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 532
    edited September 2022
    Went to all four 🇨🇦 shows they were all amazing in their own way.  This one was the best.  Thankful. ❤️🤟

Come Back

All Those Yesterdays
    Post edited by Torontonian on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited September 2022
    BEARCAT said:
    There you are!
    I see me in this photo. Third row back from rail center - right behind @PJNB
  • I liked Hamilton better but this was a good
    show in its own right.  

So, Unthought Known wasn’t played in Canada.  Fine, I’ll go to NY.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    Leash continues to elude me!  Great run of the four Canadian shows for my brother and I - loved this set but the leash tease hurt lol 
  • All those yesterdays.   Great 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    gibbits said:
    Leash continues to elude me!  Great run of the four Canadian shows for my brother and I - loved this set but the leash tease hurt lol 
    +1
    when I heard the opening notes of Leash I was soooo excited …….it was finally happening!!!!
    Hopefully we get to see it live someday….
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Great show, was fortunate to do the 4 canadain shows loved them all but these last two set lists were special I feel like the band is just warming up.  It is tough to see leash get scratched knowning they came on 20 min late though…Anyway great energy at all toronto shows, enjoy the USA leg those that are going it should only get better and see you at Ohana 🤟
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I would have been very happy with this setlist...I got ID, Hail Hail, Deep, ATY, RVM....great stuff
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    edited September 2022
    Fun show. Not as good as Hamilton but still fun.

Personal highlight - I was sitting by the side of the stage, Stone side, about 10 rows up wearing my TAD t-shirt (love me some Tad!). During Dissident, Eddie looked over to our side of the stage and during a breath between verses, saw the shirt, looked at me and said "Tad!" (he gestured to his own shirt to make sure I knew what he was doing). He *might* have changed the next line to "escape is never the safest Tad" because he pointed in my direction as he sang it, but I can't really tell. So that was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7nKadiO7dM 
    (at 1:06)

Post edited by kid canada on
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    During "Alive" I was smiling so broadly I was crying. I love this band.

Yesterday was my first "All Those Yesterdays" since my very first show (June 30, 1998). It was also my third "Sometimes," I think, and I think it was my first in 22 years, which...I mean, it's wild that I can say things like this.

Anyway, I'm at 46 shows now, so I feel relatively qualified to offer opinions on things like "I can't remember the band sounding this good, ever." But I can't remember the band sounding this good - ever. Ed's voice was immaculate at the three shows I attended, and Matt's on another level lately - he's expanded his kit and he's using it to its fullest. 

Oh, and the Gord Downie love was heart-wrending. I miss that magnificent bastard.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Sending all the best thoughts to the fellow Jammer who had a seizure mid-show in Section 119. If you’re out there or anyone knows this amazing couple, know that the gentleman’s hat was given to the usher for safe keeping. Take a minute to tell those around you how much you love them today. 
    "Not bad for a kid from Chicago" - EV......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Sea said:
    Pearl Jam
    Toronto, CA
    Scotiabank Arena
    North American Tour 2022
    09/08/22
    Show
    Set List

PEARL JAM
    Band Onstage 9:06
    Band Offstage 11:16

01. Daughter
    02. Come Back
    03. Sometimes
    04. Her Majesty-(Lennon, McCartney)
    05. All Those Yesterdays
    {Ed talks about playing Toronto 17 times.  Starts to mention not playing Vancouver as much because of border issues. Realizes he has a border crossing coming and starts to praise Canadian customs.   Plays the next song for those suffering in Ukraine.}
    06. River Cross
    07. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright) (30 seconds long)
    08. Corduroy
    09. Hail Hail
    10. Deep
    11. Quick Escape
    12. Even Flow
    13. Who Ever Said/I Can’t Get No Satisfaction-(Jagger, Richards) 12 seconds long in style of Devo cover
    14. I Got Shit/Cinnamon Girl-(Young) 50 seconds
    15. Never Destination
    16. Dissident
    17. Lukin
    18. Reavviewmirror

Encore Break
    {Jeff is now wearing a "Gord Fucking Downie" t-shirt
    Ed mentions some charities like Global Citizen, Ed and Jill’s EB charity and Matt introduced Ed to War Child.  An audience member has a sign suggesting they play Light Years for Gord Downie.  Ed gets the sign from the crowd and they play the song}

19. Light Years (for Gord Downie)
    {Talk of The Tragically Hip recording in Seattle and hanging out with Gord, Chris Cornell and Adam Kasper. He addresses Gord’s brothers  “We know what it’s like to lose a brother”}
    20. Do The Evolution
    21. Last Kiss-(Cochran) (to the back of the arena)
    22. Jeremy
    {The band starts into Leash but Stone makes a mistake and things grind to a halt.  Stone then launches into Alive.  Almost stops but Ed encourages him to keep going.}
    23. Alive
    {Josh Klinghoffer and Jeff Ament change instruments.  Josh on bass and Jeff on keys}
    24. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
    Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
    Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

hey @sea, you should add that Daughter was tagged with one verse of Gord Downie's Safe Is Dead. Another astute member pointed it out in the setlist relay thread. I watched the video and he's right. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• So happy I got to this show. I was left wanting way more after Hamilton. Specifically more crowd energy, thought the band was awesome, setlist was fun in The Hammer, but crowd was flat. Then combine that with Toronto and I'm fulfilled. Was gutted to see Unthought Known replaced and I felt the momentum lost a little with the Leash confusion (buddy met the band in the hotel after the show and said Stone broke a string and changing instruments around was difficult so they scrambled into Alive). Would love to see a second encore like in 2016 but respect to the band all the same.
    Love this band...always surreal watching them and trying to believe I'm hearing it live...they are sooooo good...Sad to see the end of this week...
  • amljbonoamljbono Posts: 3
    edited September 2022
    Amazing show!  Second time seeing the band in concert and I love the diversity of the setlists.  Huge U2 fan and every tour you get the same setlist with maybe 2-3 song changes but with Pearl Jam its different every night.  Really feel the songs from Gigaton fit so well into the concert and it't not like other artists where this is the time to go for a bathroom break.  Highlights for me was Corduroy, I Got Shit, Dissident and the 3 second tease of Leash..... DAMN! 
    Post edited by amljbono on
  • i got more to say but not today

but this should be corrected,
    walk on music was here, here and here from secret path album
    they played almost the whole song and it was a moment i will cherish forever. TY PJ

Pearl Jam
    Toronto, CA
    Scotiabank Arena
    North American Tour 2022
    09/08/22
    Show
    Set List

PEARL JAM

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    great looking set.  i'd love to see light years again...haven't seen it live since getting a tattoo of the lyrics!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    i got more to say but not today

but this should be corrected,
    walk on music was here, here and here from secret path album
    they played almost the whole song and it was a moment i will cherish forever. TY PJ

Pearl Jam
    Toronto, CA
    Scotiabank Arena
    North American Tour 2022
    09/08/22
    Show
    Set List

PEARL JAM

Well pointed out, thanks.

They played nearly the whole thing because there was a problem with one of the light rigs.  It dropped suddenly and swung around when all were being lowered as they we're about to walk on.  Could see crew making sure was safe before proceeding.  That one rig didn't work/wasn't used all show (Stone's side of Matt).
    Barrie - '98
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • Went to all four Canadian dates.  Each show was amazing in it's own way but this one was my favourite of all of them.

https://youtu.be/ELuIldKYzY4