*** Pearl Jam Hamilton, Canada Fanviews 9/6/22 ***

Comments

• How's the feeling in the arena with the slow starts?  I've mostly enjoyed PJ rockin...and I really have loved the shows that blister early.  I'm sure I will love any PJ concert, but the slow start (likely for Eddie's voice) could be a bit of a buzzkill right off the bat.  Arena's getting into it?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    NWOntario said:
    Great show, great crowd, great setlist, great venue it was loud, but the acoustics were perfect, and unlike the Ottawa show it didn't sound as though Stone's guitar was out of tune the entire night. "Yellow Moon" was the highlight for me. The Lightning Bolt songs always hit me hard, and that tour came at a really important time in my life; I never thought I'd hear it live again, and I was delighted.

Odd, random person PJ/Hamilton stat: I've seen them there twice, I've heard "Sad" twice, I've never heard "Even Flow."

On to the next one!
    I agree. I’m in the minority when it comes to LB. I enjoy most of the record. I’d love to see them open the encore with pendulum! 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    nicknyr15 said:
    NWOntario said:
    Great show, great crowd, great setlist, great venue it was loud, but the acoustics were perfect, and unlike the Ottawa show it didn't sound as though Stone's guitar was out of tune the entire night. "Yellow Moon" was the highlight for me. The Lightning Bolt songs always hit me hard, and that tour came at a really important time in my life; I never thought I'd hear it live again, and I was delighted.

Odd, random person PJ/Hamilton stat: I've seen them there twice, I've heard "Sad" twice, I've never heard "Even Flow."

On to the next one!
    I agree. I’m in the minority when it comes to LB. I enjoy most of the record. I’d love to see them open the encore with pendulum! 
    Yellow Moon and Let the Records Play are the two off LB that I haven't seen live yet. Would love to hear YM....that plus I'm Open/Sad made this a stellar set
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Amazing show. I did this one solo and wish my wife made this one! They surprised me so often here. When I thought they were going one way and they went another so many times.

All of the Gigaton songs were highlights for me.  First time hearing Retrograde and it rocked especially the last half. Whoever Said and Quick Escape continue to be the songs to hear off the new album. They easily fit into every set this tour and actually make them better. SBWM has not been seen in awhile and I think is great live. Definitely a step below the other 3 for me but still a good rocker. 

They continued with the slow start. This crowd was itching for something faster you could tell but did these songs great justice especially Nothingman. 

Red Mosquito and I Am Mine should really be played more. Such amazing songs. I love I’m Open as an intro leading into another song. I thought we were getting MFC right after but they finally pulled off Sad which is always a treat. I think I was the most excited for that one in the front. Sorry neighbours! 

I was surprised again during the encore. They have been the most predictable part of the show but they really delivered last night. Inside Job is such a beast of a song live. Once and State of Love and Trust coming out too instead of just jumping into Alive after Wishlist (of all the songs they skip and they keep playing this one is really the only head scratcher for me) was awesome. I really loved the first set but mixing up and adding a couple of songs to the encore really elevates this show to a more well rounded and complete show imo. I am not sure 25 songs is sustainable for them but it did feel like it was much longer than QC for example even with just 3 more songs added. 

Anyone complaining about the staples they play every show really do not get the majority of the fanbase at these shows. It’s not you that’s for sure. You have to keep all of the fans happy and juggling rarities with the hits is what this band does an amazing job of. Listen to the pop that these songs get. Now replace them with something that will get an equal response. You can’t. Lights on halfway through Alive for example. Show me something else that fits here for that response. Sure Rearviewmirror or Blood can fit into the set closer to change out Porch but for whatever reason they have chosen to not play these songs anymore. 

Onto Toronto now meeting my concert buddy and wife again. See everyone there!
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Wow.  Just wow.  I was on mike’s side in the GA pit.  Mike was on fire.   The variety of songs from the catalog was superb.  
    Great mix of pearl jam songs.  Thank you for not playing covers. 
    Too many highlights to mention. Main thing was band was solid.   They sounded really good.  

How's the feeling in the arena with the slow starts?  I've mostly enjoyed PJ rockin...and I really have loved the shows that blister early.  I'm sure I will love any PJ concert, but the slow start (likely for Eddie's voice) could be a bit of a buzzkill right off the bat.  Arena's getting into it?  
    Depends on the crowd and song choices. Oceans and Nothingman got a great response.
    Yellowmoon and Man of the Hour were very quiet as you would expect but Retrograde got people bouncing again. With no more classic first encore it seems the band is either listening to fans that miss that spot in the show or they are just doing it to warm up Eddie’s voice. I live the sit down start but get it also with those that want a faster song right out of the gate. Once Given to Fly hit the crowd was ready. 
  • NWOntario said:

On to the next one!
    That is wild!

I also love hearing reviews that discuss the sound and how all of that was so thank you. 
  • Finally saw Red Mosquito..... I have been waiting for that one for sooooooo long.

If you heard someone losing their mind as it started, that was me. LoL

• Anyone else a bit concerned when they saw Stone hit the stage with a mask?  he seemed to be pretty distant for most of the show and at the end of the first encore fans were reaching out and asking for picks and stuff and he just politely backtracked. This tour has been so volatile over the last two years, makes you wonder if there is another potential C-19 case.  I dunno. 
  • The highlight for me was Who Ever Said. It’s a banger live!
    looking to hear of the earth
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    PJNB said:
    Amazing show. I did this one solo and wish my wife made this one! They surprised me so often here. When I thought they were going one way and they went another so many times.

All of the Gigaton songs were highlights for me.  First time hearing Retrograde and it rocked especially the last half. Whoever Said and Quick Escape continue to be the songs to hear off the new album. They easily fit into every set this tour and actually make them better. SBWM has not been seen in awhile and I think is great live. Definitely a step below the other 3 for me but still a good rocker. 

They continued with the slow start. This crowd was itching for something faster you could tell but did these songs great justice especially Nothingman. 

Red Mosquito and I Am Mine should really be played more. Such amazing songs. I love I’m Open as an intro leading into another song. I thought we were getting MFC right after but they finally pulled off Sad which is always a treat. I think I was the most excited for that one in the front. Sorry neighbours! 

I was surprised again during the encore. They have been the most predictable part of the show but they really delivered last night. Inside Job is such a beast of a song live. Once and State of Love and Trust coming out too instead of just jumping into Alive after Wishlist (of all the songs they skip and they keep playing this one is really the only head scratcher for me) was awesome. I really loved the first set but mixing up and adding a couple of songs to the encore really elevates this show to a more well rounded and complete show imo. I am not sure 25 songs is sustainable for them but it did feel like it was much longer than QC for example even with just 3 more songs added. 

Anyone complaining about the staples they play every show really do not get the majority of the fanbase at these shows. It’s not you that’s for sure. You have to keep all of the fans happy and juggling rarities with the hits is what this band does an amazing job of. Listen to the pop that these songs get. Now replace them with something that will get an equal response. You can’t. Lights on halfway through Alive for example. Show me something else that fits here for that response. Sure Rearviewmirror or Blood can fit into the set closer to change out Porch but for whatever reason they have chosen to not play these songs anymore. 

Onto Toronto now meeting my concert buddy and wife again. See everyone there!
    I don’t think there is anything I can add to this that you have not already said. I will try later. Hope to see you both in Toronto. 
    Anyone else a bit concerned when they saw Stone hit the stage with a mask?  he seemed to be pretty distant for most of the show and at the end of the first encore fans were reaching out and asking for picks and stuff and he just politely backtracked. This tour has been so volatile over the last two years, makes you wonder if there is another potential C-19 case.  I dunno. 
    Of course the mask is concerning as it was for Mike in May or Europe whenever he had his on. Why he has it on who knows. The thing is he played though just as Mike did. Close contact, sniffles, under the weather it’s anyones guess. That said nothing about what Stone did last night made me think he acted much different than the other two shows. Also Eddie definitely rolled his ankle in Ottawa. He was hopping around pushing off on his good foot as he was running around the stage. Kudos to him for being as energetic as he was as you can tell he is definitely labouring that side 
  • mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 81
    edited September 2022
    No band in the world better at creating setlists night in and night out. I desperately wish I could have been at this show.

The people who complain about their best and most popular songs being played are getting old. You want to see an artist play only their deep cuts? Go see Bob Dylan or something. I love hearing the less played songs from No Code, Riot Act, etc. But they need to be mixed in with the songs from Ten, Vs., etc. Eddie does an unbelievable job doing that. Personally, and with most people, I'd rather see Alive every night than hear Bugs or something played. The energy and emotion from that song is second to none in the PJ catalogue for live songs. And I'll take GTF any night of the week. 

So excited for MSG though. It's really starting to feel like a true Pearl Jam tour season!!
  • ajflickerajflicker Canada Posts: 166
    How's the feeling in the arena with the slow starts?  I've mostly enjoyed PJ rockin...and I really have loved the shows that blister early.  I'm sure I will love any PJ concert, but the slow start (likely for Eddie's voice) could be a bit of a buzzkill right off the bat.  Arena's getting into it?  
    I wasn't big on the slow start myself but in the end it was a good show. Hearing State of Love and Trust was the highlight for me. Been dying to hear it in person. Red Mosquito making the list was a nice surprise too.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Not really complaining.  It's a fanview. My review as a whole is it was awesome. I loved it. Just to be perfect some of those songs could be left out more often.

If most here would rather hear Corduroy over Spin the Black Circle that's interesting.

Again those first 5 songs to start was incredible.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited September 2022
    Edit... this doesn't need to be in the fanview thread. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Pap said:
    nice....not a full I'm Open I guess

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Pap said:
    nice....not a full I'm Open I guess
    It's been a while. I'd love to hear a full version of it!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • bolt99bolt99 Canada Posts: 17
    Anyone else a bit concerned when they saw Stone hit the stage with a mask?  he seemed to be pretty distant for most of the show and at the end of the first encore fans were reaching out and asking for picks and stuff and he just politely backtracked. This tour has been so volatile over the last two years, makes you wonder if there is another potential C-19 case.  I dunno. 
    I was less worried about the mask but did feel he was less engaged. He's never the most active guy out there, but he usually gets into the groove more. Hope he's ok.
    1998 - Detroit || 2000 - Toronto || 2003 - Toronto || 2005 - London, Hamilton || 2008 - EV Toronto 1 || 2011 - East Troy 1 & 2 (PJ20) || 2011 - Toronto 1 || 2011 - Hamilton || 2013 - London || 2013 - Brooklyn 1 || 2014 - Detroit || 2016 - Quebec City || 2016 - Toronto 1 (Binaural) || 2016 - TOTD - New York ||  2020 - Toronto || 2020 - Hamilton || 2022 - Hamilton || 2022 - Toronto
  • bolt99bolt99 Canada Posts: 17

That was my 17th PJ show, but amazingly my first on floors. Showed up early enough to be second from the front. Just an unreal experience, especially after waiting so long for it to happen. And I loved the set list. The Gigaton tunes are sounding really solid. Retrograde was the surprise highlight of the new songs for me, but loved Quick Escape and Who Ever Said as well. 

And I forgot how incredible this community is. Chatting with people in line and indoors. Missed that feeling. 

Can't wait to do it all again in Toronto. 
    1998 - Detroit || 2000 - Toronto || 2003 - Toronto || 2005 - London, Hamilton || 2008 - EV Toronto 1 || 2011 - East Troy 1 & 2 (PJ20) || 2011 - Toronto 1 || 2011 - Hamilton || 2013 - London || 2013 - Brooklyn 1 || 2014 - Detroit || 2016 - Quebec City || 2016 - Toronto 1 (Binaural) || 2016 - TOTD - New York ||  2020 - Toronto || 2020 - Hamilton || 2022 - Hamilton || 2022 - Toronto
    bolt99 said:

That was my 17th PJ show, but amazingly my first on floors. Showed up early enough to be second from the front. Just an unreal experience, especially after waiting so long for it to happen. And I loved the set list. The Gigaton tunes are sounding really solid. Retrograde was the surprise highlight of the new songs for me, but loved Quick Escape and Who Ever Said as well. 

And I forgot how incredible this community is. Chatting with people in line and indoors. Missed that feeling. 

Can't wait to do it all again in Toronto. 
    nice!

• LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 783
    I had more fun at Ottawa, but that likley more due to pent up energy for me as first show since the pandemic.  Ottawa also felt longer to me, even though few less songs.

But this was a great set full of surprises and had a blast from about 4 deep in front of Mike in GA.

Who Ever Said is so good, that was def highlight of the night for me.  And was happy to hear a few more from Gigaton.  Hopefully get a couple from "side C" in TO (incl. Buckle Up!).

No covers, Even Flow, Betterman or Small Town I think was refreshing, gave space for a few wasn't expecting....Red Mosi, I'm Open (though rally thought that was leading into something else...seemed a bit odd on its own to me), I Am Mine etc.

Odd to see Corduroy not on the original setlist 2 shows in a row (but added to both).  Of all the (nearly) every nighters, I'd be bummed if didn't hear that one.  Not For You getting scratched kinda sucks though, hopefully next time.

I love Indifference, and know it normally gets pulled out at or near the end - but personally think it'd fit better early on.

Ed still laboring his leg or whatever since Ottawa, no scissor kicks last night.  Hope Stone is well, but other than the mask he didn't seem any more subdued than normal (maybe stayed farther to his side a bit more), so presumably just precautionary.

On to TO - would love a Can't Keep opener, and maybe Gone thrown in somewhere.  HTI would make my day for sure as well.

PS - I miss Lightning Bolt, always thought that was a fun one live.

Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    If the dad sitting in 108 wearing a t-shirt that said this was his 70th show and his daughter's 1st is on this board, I hope she had a great time. Great show for her first!
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • Absolutely amazing show and energy from the band and the crowd.  Thank you PJ!!!!
  • inMytree_19inMytree_19 Toronto, Canada Posts: 177
    Such a great show last night. The energy in the crowd was evident from the start. During nothingman eddie made a comment "you sound good" in response to the crowd singing. Highlights for me were man of the hour, yellow moon, inside job and I am mine. The jamming at the end of retrograde was epic. Eddie sounds 🔥  on dance of the clairvoyants. 

I can't enough of these guys. Every show is such an incredible experience in its own way: the people you meet, the differing setlists, and just catching the emotion on people's faces while they jam to PJ. I'll happily rock out to alive, black, corduroy or any other song they want to play. Fired up for Toronto! 
    2008 - Mansfield
    2008 - Montreal (EV Solo)
    2011 - East Troy PJ20
    2011 - Ottawa
    2014 - Denver
    2015 - Rio de Janeiro
    2016 - Toronto x2
    2018 - Boston x2
    2022 - Quebec, Hamilton, Toronto
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    Garden at Ottawa definitely felt as powerful as it does when they play it standing. Might have been my proximity to the stage, but it didn't feel like a "slow" start.
  • rodentrodent Posts: 133
    edited September 2022
    I hardly ever post here but last nights show was incredible and so was the set list. We were in seats and dancing throughout the entire set. Feeling absolutely exhausted today so it makes me wonder how they have the energy to do this every other night. So grateful that they still tour and give it their all for each show. I fucking love this band. Can’t wait for Toronto!

Side note - would love to hear Arc open the Toronto show. 

Post edited by rodent on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    AlaG said:
    Garden at Ottawa definitely felt as powerful as it does when they play it standing. Might have been my proximity to the stage, but it didn't feel like a "slow" start.
    First time for me since 1994. I was so happy. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    The highlight for me was Who Ever Said. It’s a banger live!
    That was a huge surprise for me too.  Didn't think too much of it on Gigaton, but it kicked ass live.
    Other highlights.  Red Mosquito , SOLAT, Retrograde, Inside Job, Oceans, Yellow Moon, Once, Sad.