The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I do find it humorous that Tiger and Rory are lecturing people on not going to LIV and then they are starting companies and getting ownership likely in the PGA Tour.  Yeah, I don't think the 40th ranked player has those options.

I'm not bashing Tiger and Rory, but you can afford to let LIV money go when you can start up your own companies to compete against LIV.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited August 2022
    I do find it humorous that Tiger and Rory are lecturing people on not going to LIV and then they are starting companies and getting ownership likely in the PGA Tour.  Yeah, I don't think the 40th ranked player has those options.

I'm not bashing Tiger and Rory, but you can afford to let LIV money go when you can start up your own companies to compete against LIV.
    I don't know man. The big guys are always going to get their money.  What is happening is that the 125th player now has a base salary of $500k, which seems like a pretty big deal, while it's also possible for a player to make Lebron type money (Lerner tweeted this)

So there will be basically a two tier tour with the vast majority of the best players in the world and players can play their way into the bigger events
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

I don't know man. The big guys are always going to get their money.  What is happening is that the 125th player now has a base salary of $500k, which seems like a pretty big deal, while it's also possible for a player to make Lebron type money (Lerner tweeted this)

So there will be basically a two tier tour with the vast majority of the best players in the world and players can play their way into the bigger events
    I think this might have been Norman's initial proposal back in the 90's. Or something pretty similar. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Yeah, I think the $500k makes sense.  Nobody is going to coast making $500k a year as that will get spent quickly on tour costs and you can’t coast on the tour anyway.

These changes will be good and get us viewing more tournaments with all of the best players.  Will probably take the PGA Championship and Players tournaments down a notch having more comparable fields (unless they invite LIV players to the PGA and add some cool storylines). 
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, I think the $500k makes sense.  Nobody is going to coast making $500k a year as that will get spent quickly on tour costs and you can’t coast on the tour anyway.

These changes will be good and get us viewing more tournaments with all of the best players.  Will probably take the PGA Championship and Players tournaments down a notch having more comparable fields (unless they invite LIV players to the PGA and add some cool storylines). 
    I think I saw they said there is no path for anyone who has gone to ever come back to the PGA.

So yeah, there is $5k per week for missed cuts for expenses and $500k minimum each year, not sure if that is a base salary or will be drawn against winnings, but still good stuff.

Will they end up calling the players the 5th major? Gotta think there is a decent chance to keep it elevated, as dumb as that would be

Monahan indicated today that they would never be invited back to the Tour. Unless you mean the PGA Championship when you say PGA. In that case, as it stands now, the LIV guys will continue to be eligible for the PGA Championship and the other three majors. Though, many of them will see their edibility go away as they fall out of the top-50 of the World Golf Rankings since LIV won't be getting OWGR points. Past winners like Mickelson, Koepka, etc. will always have their exemptions though.

There's talk of the LIV guys being outright banned from the majors, but I doubt that would happen. It would be total bullshit if it did. But....if they fall out of the top-50 and have no past-winner exemptions, well then they're shit out of luck. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Monahan indicated today that they would never be invited back to the Tour. Unless you mean the PGA Championship when you say PGA. In that case, as it stands now, the LIV guys will continue to be eligible for the PGA Championship and the other three majors. Though, many of them will see their edibility go away as they fall out of the top-50 of the World Golf Rankings since LIV won't be getting OWGR points. Past winners like Mickelson, Koepka, etc. will always have their exemptions though.

There's talk of the LIV guys being outright banned from the majors, but I doubt that would happen. It would be total bullshit if it did. But....if they fall out of the top-50 and have no past-winner exemptions, well then they're shit out of luck. 
    I don't think the majors will straight ban then because that then helps the anti-trust case against the PGA and that seems to be in a decent spot as it is.  I did hear somewhere (NLU probably lol) that Reed will not be welcome at the Masters after this lawsuit.
    Yeah, I was meaning the PGA Championship.

I don’t think just being in LIV should mean they can’t be in the Majors (ignoring points).   As viewers we should want the best players in the world in the majors.

I don't think the majors will straight ban then because that then helps the anti-trust case against the PGA and that seems to be in a decent spot as it is.  I did hear somewhere (NLU probably lol) that Reed will not be welcome at the Masters after this lawsuit.
    I'm not sure Reed has ever been "welcomed" anywhere for any reason at any time in his life. And his lawsuit might be one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen a pro athlete do.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Yeah, I was meaning the PGA Championship.

I don’t think just being in LIV should mean they can’t be in the Majors (ignoring points).   As viewers we should want the best players in the world in the majors.
    Yeah and I think the people that run the majors agree with that. Though I can see the LIV guys getting shitty tee-times and little TV coverage, unless they're in contention. 

And I'll tell ya what, if I was Mickelson, Garcia, Reed, Johnson, or Schwartzel, I'd be a little weary about eating at Scheffler's Masters Champions Dinner lol

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

I'm not sure Reed has ever been "welcomed" anywhere for any reason at any time in his life. And his lawsuit might be one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen a pro athlete do.
    hahaha, well this is accurate.  It is so bad and so pathetic.  It does sound like it was all written by his wife, which is incredible.  What a bunch of lunatics.  They literally aggregated every hilarious thing anyone has every said about him. What a self own.
    edited August 2022

hahaha, well this is accurate.  It is so bad and so pathetic.  It does sound like it was all written by his wife, which is incredible.  What a bunch of lunatics.  They literally aggregated every hilarious thing anyone has every said about him. What a self own.
    It's such a hilarious self-own that it needs a re-posting......

I love how they differentiate between "You suck" and "You fucking suck."

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

It's such a hilarious self-own that it needs a re-posting......

I love how they differentiate between "You suck" and "You fucking suck."
    "Why dont you introduce your children to their grandparents you ungrateful bitch?" was my personal favorite.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Wild day for golf.  And now this Tiger/Rory thing.....looks interesting.

Sounds exactly like LIV minus Trump roaming about the grounds and shitty music playing over the PAs.. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited August 2022

Sounds exactly like LIV minus Trump roaming about the grounds and shitty music playing over the PAs.. 
    Except they make clear it's basically an exhibition to be played on Monday nights that in no way, shape, or form interferes with the PGA Tour. Not even real golf. It's something different. So it's nothing like LIV. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Except they make clear it's basically an exhibition to be played on Monday nights that in no way, shape, or form interferes with the PGA Tour. Not even real golf. It's something different. So it's nothing like LIV. 
    So it's an exhibition, there's a team aspect to it, and "it's something different." Yeah, that's nothing at all like LIV. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited August 2022

So it's an exhibition, there's a team aspect to it, and "it's something different." Yeah, that's nothing at all like LIV. 
    Other than there being a team aspect, I don't see any comparison to LIV what so ever. 

Have you read anything about it? It's not real golf. It seems more like a skills competition played indoors. Nothing like LIV.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Full Monahan presser for anyone that's interested....

https://youtu.be/Zx-LwyIJtxQ

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Other than there being a team aspect, I don't see any comparison to LIV what so ever. 

Have you read anything about it? It's not real golf. It seems more like a skills competition played indoors. Nothing like LIV.
    No I just watched the video above. Well in that case, a skills competition played indoors doesn't sound very interesting. But the changes to the Tour certainly do. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

No I just watched the video above. Well in that case, a skills competition played indoors doesn't sound very interesting. But the changes to the Tour certainly do. 
    https://theathletic.com/3531549/2022/08/23/tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-tmrw-sportscompany/
    I'll watch it
    chinese-happy.jpg

https://theathletic.com/3531549/2022/08/23/tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-tmrw-sportscompany/
    I'll watch it
    I don't have a subscription to the Atlantic so I can't read that. But like the Pro-Bowl skills challenge, homerun derby, or NBA dunk contest, if I'm home and it's on, I'll give it a look. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I played Oakland Hills, the South course (the Monster) yesterday.  Easily the most beautiful and difficult course I've played. The back kicks your ass and the greens are so fast and elevated,  that you have to constantly protect against the ball rolling off the front and going 60 yards back into the fairway.  I played really well for me and led our group with an 86 (6800). Everyone was single digit GHIN and I'm the only one that broke 90.  Brutal. 

edited August 2022
    That is impressive to break 90 on a course like that first time on it.  Elevated greens that are fast are so frustrating but also make it fun as you have to know where to miss it.  You can't lose focus.  
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    That is impressive to break 90 on a course like that first time on it.  Elevated greens that are fast are so frustrating but also make it fun as you have to know where to miss it.  You can't lose focus.  
    It's exhausting.  On a normal course,  you get to 20 feet or so in the approach and you think you've got two strokes in,  no problem.  But here,  that's where the work really started. 
    Is The Masters an exhibition?   

If Scheffler and Schauffele stay where they are for the third round this is going to be an awesome Sunday finish in Atlanta..  
    Wow, what a comeback for Rory.  Scheffler should still get player of the year.  Wonder if Rory will get another one without a major.  
    Hell of a finish yesterday. Great golf. Great for golf that it was Rory who won it too. 

And NBC going commercial free for the back 9 is something I hope happens for at least the majors/elevated events next year. Fun afternoon!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    With everything going on off the course it is pretty amazing to see Rory playing so well on it.  Perhaps being inside the ropes is the easiest part of of his day.    Not that trying to organize your millions/billions should be seen as a tough gig.  

Long wait for the Masters.